Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Ubisoft pulls the plug on Might & Magic X

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Tags: Limbic Entertainment; Might & Magic X: Legacy; Ubisoft

As if the Might and Magic series didn't have it hard enough already, Ubisoft has shut down the Might & Magic X: Legacy online verification servers at the start of June.

What exactly does this mean? According to a certain potato thread as well as this one on Steam, it means that you can no longer access the game's DLC (The Falcon & The Unicorn, promotional items and relics bought with uPlay units; possibly also the Meow Dungeon). Even better, apparently it is also now impossible to proceed past Act I, as the game has to call home first to confirm if you are a law-abiding citizen, and since it can't connect to the shut-down servers, you'll be stuck in Act I forever. There may be more issues, but not all the details appear to be really confirmed at the moment.

Fortunately the linked Steam thread provides a workaround for the progress-halting issue at least. Nevertheless, this is still a tremendously dumb move by Ubisoft, and just another case against not only DRM in general, but also against the kind of draconic measures that require your singleplayer game to have a permanent Internet connection.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Similar fuckery happened with Anno 2070 so now you need to download a patcher that will circumvent game's DRM and "unlock" the DLC you own.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
This is a very short sighted business decision. It should be fairly trivial to patch access to it for everyone whereas disabling it for the people who bought it just means that you should really consider whether or not you're interested in buying their products at all. Especially if you're someone who buys a ton of shit and then slowly grinds through the infinite backlog since it's apparent that nevermind time value of money issues, you may simply be donating money to these assholes.

Trojan_generic

Magister
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
From ubishit:
On June 1st 2021, online services for Assassin’s Creed 2, Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands, Far Cry 2, Anno 1404, Might & Magic – Clash of Heroes, Splinter Cell Conviction, The Settlers 7 and Might & Magic X - Legacy will be shut down.

If I would be fabulously optimistic, I'd say M&M X may one day appear on GOG for a DRM-free download.
Edit: DRM, not DLC &¤#%!

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
From ubishit:
On June 1st 2021, online services for Assassin’s Creed 2, Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands, Far Cry 2, Anno 1404, Might & Magic – Clash of Heroes, Splinter Cell Conviction, The Settlers 7 and Might & Magic X - Legacy will be shut down.

If I would be fabulously optimistic, I'd say M&M X may one day appear on GOG for a DLC-free download.
Yeah, I'm
jWKjBOA.jpg
about that too, but we'll see.

Curratum

Who the hell cares, the game is a heap of shit anyway.

Not defending Ubi's retarded practices, but seriously, why maintain servers and support a game which probably has 0.2 average monthly players.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Who the hell cares, the game is a heap of shit anyway.

Not defending Ubi's retarded practices, but seriously, why maintain servers and support a game which probably has 0.2 average monthly players.

I agree, why don't they shut it off and allow the few people that actually care to play a game they've purchased by patching the authentication rather than breaking it and pissing people off due to the principle of it.
It's actually kind of funny, I was thinking about revisiting it the other day and had planned to reinstall it at some point over the summer and then found out that I can't.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
I really don't understand why these retards don't disable the DRM once they decide to abandon the game.
Because they don't give a fuck about you once you've given them their money. They are very out there in the open about it, so it's not some sort of :itisamystery: type of thing, but still glad to help.
I know they don't give a fuck but it's a tiny effort to remove it and avoid a lot of negative backlash from fans.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
From ubishit:

If I would be fabulously optimistic, I'd say M&M X may one day appear on GOG for a DLC-free download.
Does it affect singleplayer of Anno 1404? I still like to play it once in a while, it's my favorite Anno and economic game besides Anno 1602.

It was also the last Anno that didn't have dumb DRM phoning home all the time, which is why I never played any of the newer ones.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Go figure. I had a feeling it was tanking a few years ago. I was having serious issues getting those extra DLC items to where I said fuck it.

STEAM WAS BAD ENOUGH BACKGROUND SHIT!

UBI-SOFT 3rd PARTY WAS ABYSMAL!!!

I can't really say I hate it because the background programs with ONLINE ONLY annoyed the fuck out of me. The promise you could build your own shit was interesting until I saw what you needed to do so.

Standard Digital Edition
FULL GAME
Rediscover the mythic Might & Magic role-playing series, updated for a new generation in Might & Magic X - Legacy. Experience a gripping four-act story that will test your tactics and judgement.
  • 12 playable classes
    Customise your team of adventurers with choices from 12 different classes, 4 races, and over 20 skills. Evolve your party members and develop unique strategies using freshly acquired spells.
  • 3 towns and 1 city
    Begin your great journey at Sorpigal-by-the-Sea, travel to the other settlements, visit monuments, recruit hirelings, and trade with shopkeepers.
  • Open world
    Travel through stunning environments, choose which region you want to explore first but be careful, danger is never far off.
  • Various quests
    Discover the sinister plot happening in the Agyn Peninsula, shape its inhabitants' stories, and evolve your party thanks to fun and original quests full of Easter Eggs!
  • 20+ dungeons
    Experience fear and claustrophobia in the dark heart of classic dungeons, and feel vulnerable to attack from all sides while crossing open landscapes.
  • More than 60 creatures and 6 unique bosses
    Face cunning foes in turn-based combat and adapt your fighting skills to the mightiest creatures.

MODDING KIT
Create your own map and mods to express yourself, design the game you want to play and share your creative vision with the Might & Magic X – Legacy community!

60 monsters? Lol. And again, has anyony ever tried the modding kit? I swear it sent me to a "purchase Unity" page asking for $1,500 or more.

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
After they shafted Rayman for a bunch of retarded minion rabbits, this comes hardly surprising for me.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
They could have at least spent a bit of time removing the DRM before doing this.

Then again, laziness from Ubi shouldn't really surprise me at this juncture.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom