Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Gamedec Released

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Anshar Studios; Gamedec

This month's next release is Gamedec, the combat-less isometric cyberpunk RPG from Polish developer Anshar Studios where you play a private detective who investigates crimes in MMO-like virtual worlds. It's certainly an unusual premise, which may be why Anshar felt compelled to release a series of brief mechanics onboarding videos over the past week and a half. The game's launch trailer shows how two different gamedec archetypes might choose to approach a case.

Gamedec's review scores are all over the place. The major sites don't seem to entirely get it, while our friend Hellion from Ragequit.gr appears to be a fan. It's probably safe to conclude that the game is interesting but janky, though I suspect that for many Codexers the main issue will be whether they're interested in playing an RPG without combat in the first place.

Gamedec is available on Steam and GOG for $30, with a 10% launch discount until next week. It looks like it's probably going to get overlooked, but at least the developers already have that gangster RPG lined up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Drowed

Arcane
From the descriptions and reviews I've seen, it sounds like a Disco Elysium without the communism, and the internal dialogues are swapped for point'n'click inspirations so you can find the clues and unravel the events. No combat or inventory, and seemingly almost no character progression - but a lot of dialogue. Sounds like less RPG than DE, if that's even possible, but maybe it's "good for what it is".

Codex review when?

Jrpgfan

Erudite
58 on PC Gamer

GOTY then?

What's ironic about that is they put a pic with PC gamer "pushing" the game on the store page.

ss_35d12cd8eee9c83dad45b860e1ebfde8a3f12575.1920x1080.jpg

Then they proceed to give a bad score. Maybe they cut their paycheck?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I'll probably pic this up whenever i pick up disco. Haven't even bought cyberdildo 2077 yet.

Ash

Arcane
Stupid social simulators for dweebs. More like Lamedec.

Also lol at the black chick. Her voice acting does not match her character design at all, or is that just me?

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It does feel way more like choose your own adventure than an RPG. The whole "RPG" system is just 4 different types of points that you gain depending on your actions, and then you can spend on learning "jobs". Those "jobs" then unlock more dialogue choices.

Haven't gotten far yet, becasue the game also feels raw. On the first loading screen tip I got random "r" letter at end of sentences (\r\n?). There's some markup visible in an entry or two of your encyclopedia. Game itself does terrible job at describing mechanics.

On the positive side, the world buliding via codex is decent, few encyclopedic dumps, and lots of info passed through excerpts of media articles or shows.

So far I rate this "meh". It feels even suckier given that it came out shortly after Encased (pretty nice) and Trudograd (very nice).

Zeriel

Arcane
58 on PC Gamer

GOTY then?

What's ironic about that is they put a pic with PC gamer "pushing" the game on the store page.

ss_35d12cd8eee9c83dad45b860e1ebfde8a3f12575.1920x1080.jpg

Then they proceed to give a bad score. Maybe they cut their paycheck?

It's like those back of the box VHS blurbs from the 90s that said, "A cinematic masterpiece" and then in the actual review it says: "Absolutely awful, a cinematic masterpiece this is not."

Humbaba

Arcane
Do you at least do some actual detective work instead of just CYOAing your way towards the story's climax?

ironmask

Arbiter
So when can we finally have a Cyberpunk RPG that's actually good? We haven't had one, since Deus Ex.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Hmmm.... on GOG, I noticed they erased the gamedec demo. Search reveals nothing. I still have the demo in my library. Odd they'd just delete future demo downloads.

well.... here's a complete spoiler then.

So, the Genre is called RPG-hold the combat?
HTCRPG?

The demo months back

I doubt you need this much of video to even decide.

"Detective" VN with exploration.

Last edited:

Shin

Cipher
So when can we finally have a Cyberpunk RPG that's actually good? We haven't had one, since Deus Ex.

Some of the (Harebrained Schemes) Shadowrun games were actually good. Not "Deus Ex" good perhaps, but judging from what I've seen so far, a lot better than this 'RPG'.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
alternatively september is the most common birth month.
Are rpgs released in september because devs have good time over xmas and new year eve?
Or perhaps tapping into paternity leave?

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
No-combat aside, why the fuck are all interesting releases packed in a single month of entire year.
Because AAA games release in october/november for christmas sales and they don't want to compete with big-name titles who have vastly bigger marketing budgets.
and sales are weaker in the summer because people play less

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom