Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Review RPG Codex Review: Maneater - The Mutant Shark Vendetta

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Tags: Maneater; Tripwire Interactive

This world is much too short on RPGs where you get to become one of the mutant abominations that threaten the world instead of hunting them down.

Fortunately one such game is Maneater, the subject of our most recent review submitted by Lukaszek. If you ever felt like morphing into a monstrous shark and ravaging the land and sea alike, this game might just be for you. As the noble reviewer would put it:

Your role is to survive in a hostile environment and grow up. Since your first meal ever was human flesh, and given the tragic backstory, some revenge in the future is to be expected. To help fuel it, it turns out that the first two areas have plenty of toxic waste to go around, and even a submerged nuclear power plant. Eating weird, mutated albino fish does put weird ideas in your head.

Will you carry out your revenge? Will you lose or keep your humanity sharkanity? Sharkness? Is there a good and a bad shark in all of us, constantly whispering to our gills?

(...)

Eventually you’ll be dealing with explosives. They start with dynamite, then progress into some sort of proximity explosive devices and eventually end in torpedoes. All of those can be grabbed in your jaws, delaying the explosion a bit. This leads to my favorite playstyle of grabbing random objects and tail-catapulting them at my targets. Once you grab anything, you can toss it both underwater and in the air if you jump upward.​

Sounds like there's plenty excitement ahead, but, in the end, is it actually good or just gimmicky? For more details, read the full article here: Maneater Review - The Mutant Shark Vendetta

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
“Gameplay = would be better than The Witcher if it had more preparation”

Talking about damning to hell for eternity with the faintest of praise

Berg DK

Novice
I found Maneater to have no redeeming features. Atrocious art style, pathetically unfunny attempts at humor and mindnumbingly braindead gameplay.

Antigoon

Augur
I found Maneater to have no redeeming features. Atrocious art style, pathetically unfunny attempts at humor and mindnumbingly braindead gameplay.

Agree with that one, the review is way too positive. After an hour you have seen it all, and that includes the god damn repeating one liners from the narrator. You fight a Great White the same way you are eating a catfish, just mash the button a bit longer. Mutations also are completely irrelevant and don't change the game at all, besides one is going a bit faster, another one needs less button mashing to take down boats. If you somehow get that game, just play the first two areas and call it quits.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
every review on codex is way to positive. As for this one, clearly its not the game where one ponders on what changes the nature of a shark. Although you can.

Atrocious art style
I dont get that one. I found game quite beautiful, if anything mutations seem a bit uggly to meh. What sort of graphix fag are you?
pathetically unfunny attempts at humor
subjective I guess? Worked for me and most importantly - kept its style and quality through the game. For comparison I couldnt stand borderlands
mindnumbingly braindead gameplay
I can see that one. Still game offers many activities and ways of destroying things so there are hours of fun to be had. One can say that gta is boring since you just shoot stuff I guess

Antigoon

Augur
Agree with that one, the review is way too positive.
Maybe we need another, a more negative, review? I mean, we've done it the other way round in relation to a certain game, so why not this too?

Sure, here:
lukaszek is right, Maneater is an RPG, with:

- No character creation
- Superficial character customization that do not affect your gameplay
- No meaningful exploration, as all you can find are points of interest with MMO-style objectives
- MMO/Mobile quest structure. Each area features the same quests of collect X, kill Y then proceed
- Most enemies behave the same, only difference is their skin
- Combat, including boss battles, smash RT to win. To bring down boats you might want to sprinkle in an additional A

lightbane

Arcane
So, now games that are Denuvo trash with basic standard open world stuff (including mostly meaningless stats) are rpgs according to the Codex?

Slow day, I guess.
At least the review isn't as bad as the Woketech one, which downplayed the game's countless issues massively.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
One of the few games I've been interested in. Nice to see it got a positive frontpage review here (the rest of you whiners can go away for now until I check it out myself). However, it doesn't hurt to be cautious so I'm waiting for a sale, so when it hits my target/price alert price of $5.00, I'll bite.

Edited: Well, speak of The Devil all The time, I just got it for $5.03 (USD) from a key store and activated it on Steam with no issues. Bless GGDeals.

Last edited:

Naveen

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I got this one from Humble Bundle and I played it when I was down with Covid, which perhaps addled my brain, but I kind of enjoyed it. But it is clearly a repetitive game. If you like the narrator and the style, you probably will enjoy it as they make up for the rest of the game's limitations. Otherwise, it will only make the grinding worse.

Alter Sack

Magister
Oh boy, reading the title I thought for a very short moment it's a game about a desperate middle-aged MILF.

I have to admit I was a little bit disappointed after reading the second part of the title.

Sharks...

Meh.

Last edited:

Falksi

Arcane
One of the few games I've been interested in. Nice to see it got a positive frontpage review here (the rest of you whiners can go away for now until I check it out myself). However, it doesn't hurt to be cautious so I'm waiting for a sale, so when it hits my target/price alert price of $5.00, I'll bite.

Edited: Well, speak of The Devil all The time, I just got it for $5.03 (USD) from a key store and activated it on Steam with no issues. Bless GGDeals.

Money's the matter. If you're in it for love, you ain't gonna get too far

Watch out boy, it'll chew you up.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

O-oh here she comes, she's a maneater!

2:41 for the good stuff

Falksi

Arcane

O-oh here she comes, she's a maneater!

2:41 for the good stuff

koIrQCm.gif

Very saxy

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Won't bother myself with revio - sorry- are there sekkkkrets in the game?
Underwater enviroment...
secrets are like hunting easter eggs in fallout2 wasteland. Their density is much higher though, probably around 80 in total

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom