Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview What's New in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim?

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

<p>Many of you are holding their breath in anticipation of Bethesda next game of the century, <strong>The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim</strong>. Lucky for you, to keep you informed Gamespy <a href="http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/elder-scrolls-v/1192791p2.html" target="_blank">assembled a list of new features</a> you can expect to find in Skyrim. One example:</p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong>The New Repair: </strong></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Sick of hammering away on dented armor? No worries. In Skyrim, weapons and armor will not degrade and become weaker over time. You'll still be able to create and improve weapons in a multitude of ways, you just won't have to worry about maintaining them.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>The new repair is that repair is gone.</p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong>The New Marriage:</strong></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Yup, you can marry that pretty young NPC you met in town, and if you buy a house nearby, she'll move in with you.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Sweet.</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/104676-whats-new-in-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim.html">Gamebanshee</a></p>

Esquilax

Arcane
VentilatorOfDoom said:
<p>Sick of hammering away on dented armor? No worries. In Skyrim, weapons and armor will not degrade and become weaker over time. You'll still be able to create and improve weapons in a multitude of ways, you just won't have to worry about maintaining them.

To be honest, I don't really have a problem with this. Repairing stuff in RPG's is almost always pointless busywork and really boring. In past TES games, all you did was click on a hammer to improve your item's condition, so it didn't add anything really interesting to the equation. If your Armorer skill was more about forging kick-ass weapons for yourself inside a furnace, that would be cool, but I can't say I'm too upset about this. The real problem here is that Bethesda keeps cutting features and calls it innovation.

For Skyrim, I'm expecting a mildly enjoyable hiking simulator. Hopefully it'll be an entertaining action game instead of the terribly designed trainwreck like Oblivion was: there is simply no fucking way it can be worse than Oblivion.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
DSC08793.jpg

Stinger

Arcane
Well Modders will find something to suit your....interests.

Mayday

Augur
In Ultima 7 you had to spoon-feed your whole party to keep them from starving.
Solution:
A) remove hunger from the game
B) make the feeding automatic and only worry about carrying enough food
C) Replace hunger with MAKING AWSUM POTIONS FROM THE FOOD YOU FIND!

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Will Skyrim be the best game ever made? I don't know, but I know it will come close. I am getting this game day 1 and I know I am going to be blown away.

MCA
curry said:
Esquilax said:
there is simply no fucking way it can be worse than Oblivion.

Just like there was no fucking way DA2 could be worse than DA:O. :lol:

DA:O could easily have been a solid game. It's a fine example of coming really close but also screwing up so badly. So while it's a boring as fuck to play, it's far from making it to the hall of shame.

Gord

Arcane
I don't usually commit to the pre-release bashing of games from Codex' favorite studios, but wow, most of that list sounds terrible.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Codex will like Skyrim.
But will still bash Oblivion which will be less dumbed down.

Quote this for future reference, fool.

The New Dragon Shout - looked interesting until I've seen there are ~20 of them; sounds like they will be very specific combinations that create very specific effects. I was hoping they'd work like FF12 Gambit system, letting me play around with combinations by changing a part of the word / program.

The New Finishing Moves - cool at first glance, but I hope I can choose not to use them - like VATS it could esily get tiresome after a while. "jumping up on a dragon's back and burying an axe into its skull" will probably not look as interesting after you've seen it a bunch of times.

The New Repair - in practice it shouldn't matter that much but keeping my gear in one piece was a problem in Oblivion when my warrior got to high levels, so in a way it's sad to see even that being dumbed won.

The New Menu - looks bad, you can only see like four or five skills at once. I don't see the point in trading efficiency for pretiness in a goddamn menu / character sheet.

The New Level Scaling - the scaling in FO3 was better than in Oblivion and actually didn't bother me that much, but it's still tiresome to have ubermonsters suddenly spawning in the overworld and raping any non-essential NPC / weaker monster that wanders by. Why the fuck do they insist on level scaling? They KNOW even the more casual players don't like it that much.

The New Marriage - sounds like it'll be like in Fable 2; mildly amusing just because you can have someone wandering inside your house when you come back, but otherwise unremarkable and most people probably won't even bother (modders will go nuts, though)

The New Guardian Stones - don't see any reason to be excited about being able to change skill growth speed. It could be an incentive for the player to make a more specialized character, though I expect they will just make hitting 100 in all skills even easier.

-

Fake edit: uh, didn't think I would be that negative, since I actually want to play it. The usual "LALALA STOP CRITICIZING MY GAME I AM NOT LISTENING YOU HATERS LALALA" comments in that page got to me, I guess.

KOITSU said:
If you think this isnt a day one purchase, then maybe your a little WOW punk

Mortmal

Arcane
Sounds like they mixed the best features of fable and oblivion, a winning combo for sure.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
I remember back before Oblivion someone asked Pete Hines about marriage and he said, "We focus on the heroic rather than the domestic." :M

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I was just playing Oblivion yesterday and all I could think is: now I know why everyone hates this game, it doesn't have gay marriage. They took the time they could have spent on rpg mechanics and put it into getting married...

The strange thing is, get rid of repair and they can get rid of a whole hell of a lot of other skills that are just as useless but add flavor.

Micmu

Magister
Dicksmoker said:
I remember back before Oblivion someone asked Pete Hines about marriage and he said, "We focus on the heroic rather than the domestic." :M
I remember that, too. In general, they had pretty anti-EAware attitude regarding video game romances. Unsurprisingly, their market research a.k.a. design team decided otherwise, now.

Anyway, I don't get why some of you are thinking "this can't be worse that oblivious"? For fucks sake they just reduce the scope of their games every iteration, take out stuff, dumbify mechanics (they took out stats and all factions except two this time, no?) and as a bonus infest it with really *really* retarded crap like this whole marriage thing and I bet some hidden "gem" they haven't told you about (exactly as it was with that level scaling in oblivious). "Hiking sim" my ass. Most People (tm) just don't play such games.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
codex members are impartial gamers who will judge a game on its own merits rather than what company PR tells them

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom