Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware A new Deus Ex was in development at Eidos Montreal

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
A Walton Simmons Deus Ex game where you do Bob Page's dirty work. Assassinating,spying,intimidating.
It would make for a great Deus Ex game,I think.

Gargaune

Arcane
A Walton Simmons Deus Ex game where you do Bob Page's dirty work. Assassinating,spying,intimidating.
It would make for a great Deus Ex game,I think.
Wouldn't work, most of the original game's secondary characters are too well established to make a competent prequel protagonist. Simons is too cold and cynical, not to mention he doesn't get augmented until nanotech rolls around, Gunther is too much of a meathead simpleton, and Anna, while she's got a vaguely similar humour to JC's deadpan, is too bloodthirsty.

The only recyclable original character that would work for a soft reboot PC somewhere between Mankind Divided and Deus Ex would be Paul, and I really hope they don't go that route. While I'm tentatively positive on Eidos Montreal developing their writing like they did their gameplay, I remain skeptical of them doing justice to the original cast - case in point, DX's deceptively quaint and folksy father-figure is unrecognisable in MD's toady minion.

The proper thing to do would be to finish Jensen's trilogy with Jensen and then spin up a new franchise. It's been twenty fucking years and getting high time we got something else that was "like Deus Ex", not just desperate attempts at making more Deus Ex. Though I'm well aware that the only thing that can get a publisher off their arse to make a new IP is a cataclysmic commercial flop of the old one.

Sunsetspawn

Arcane
Let's place bets on how woke it's gonna be.
Well MD was like being beaten around the head with the message, "racism is wrong, apartheid is wrong" by the devs. Hopefully the writers responsible have been sacked.
Yeah but in MD the apartheid was based on whether or not people had undergone a voluntary medical procedure, which is a totally fictional scenario with no connection at all to real life.

kangaxx

Arbiter
Well MD was like being beaten around the head with the message, "racism is wrong, apartheid is wrong" by the devs. Hopefully the writers responsible have been sacked.
Yeah but in MD the apartheid was based on whether or not people had undergone a voluntary medical procedure, which is a totally fictional scenario with no connection at all to real life.
Of course, and it was obviously written in a way that was allegorical. Painfully obvious. It made it all the more retarded.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
I absolutely loved Decado's post, he says everything I wanted to say and more. Deus Ex was a game made in the United States in the late 90s, in other words it was made in a country where conspiracies are handed down with the breastmilk and the massive popularity of the X-Files at the time made government conspiracy theories both accessible and more importantly acceptable.

I don't believe for a second that Warren Spector or anyone in the team was a big believer in any of those conspiracy theories, they simply used them as a platform to base a game on. They didn't delve deep into any of the conspiracy theories. For instance the FEMA theory about taking over the government, concentration camps, etc. is straight out of the Reagan administration 1980s where Carter's innocuous FEMA was imbued with new and draconian authority in response to potential mass protests or insurrection because of American invasions into S-American countries. This came up in hearings about the Iran-Contra scandal, where a Democrat from Texas asked about this in an open hearing and the chairman, Senator Inouye, shut the question down completely because of "national security" and had it confined to a later closed-door hearing.

As one can imagine, this was basically confirmation of the new powers of FEMA. This is all ignored really in Deus Ex and this FEMA power is simply stated matter-of-factly, as are most of the conspiracy theories. They just "are". They don't have a background or depth or anything. It's as if Spector and company simply mashed together all the "coocoo" conspiracy theories they could find, without much understanding or interest in them, to create a background for a story.

So if this approach had been used in DXHR/MD or would be used an upcoming DX game, they'd simply throw current conspiracy theories out there matter-of-factly without explaining them at all, use them as set pieces foundations for the narrative.

Anything from a hidden chamber filled with government secrets behind Mount Rushmore to an underground city which serves as a headquarters of the New World Order situated beneath the Denver International airport. From the Deep State to Big Tech mass surveillance. From stolen airliners to Q-Anon. Just make all of them real, don't explain them, build a story on top them. That's what Warren did and I think it would be a good move to follow his lead for a new Deus Ex.

Unwanted

†††

Patron
That's putting it mildly. From the little I played it kind of wrecks the level design so it can add massive amounts of pointless clutter.
A modder's first instinct: what if we take a beloved game and add REALISM to its level design? That surely will make it more fun!

Sunsetspawn

Arcane
Of course, and it was obviously written in a way that was allegorical. Painfully obvious. It made it all the more retarded.
Well I finished MD in 2019, so in 2021 when I started being treated like a nigger in my homeland the "allegory" vanished and MD became a motherfucking prophecy.

Last edited:
Unwanted
Dumbfuck
Let's be real for a moment here. Invisible War was the last real Deus Ex game and the series ended there. Anything on top of the OG duology is some Star Wars prequel tier bullshit that we don't need or want. If you want to make an immersive sim you can do it, there be games like it coming out now. Peripeteia, Fortune's Run, that Mexican Deus Ex game is already out called Brigand: Oaxaca. The faggy Poles even made a buggy unfinished Ubishit AAA game out of the formula. You can make new games about conspiracies no problem. The story of Deus Ex is over and the setting is as explored as you can make it without adding all this stupid shit to it.

We already had the best ending to it.

So why are you niggas even talking about this Canadian gay shit?

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
As one can imagine, this was basically confirmation of the new powers of FEMA. This is all ignored really in Deus Ex and this FEMA power is simply stated matter-of-factly, as are most of the conspiracy theories. They just "are". They don't have a background or depth or anything. It's as if Spector and company simply mashed together all the "coocoo" conspiracy theories they could find, without much understanding or interest in them, to create a background for a story.

So if this approach had been used in DXHR/MD or would be used an upcoming DX game, they'd simply throw current conspiracy theories out there matter-of-factly without explaining them at all, use them as set pieces foundations for the narrative.
The thing about Deus Ex is that it's set in a world that is post-political. The conspiracy has basically won and they can do whatever they want ("I've already discussed the matter with the Senator").

In contrast, the stories of Eidos Montreal's prequels are heavily based on conspiracies to manipulate public opinion. Politics still matter and the conspirators need to gather support for what they want to do.

Last edited:

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!

The thing about Deus Ex is that it's set in a world that is post-political. The conspiracy has basically won and they can do whatever they want ("I've already discussed the matter with the Senator").

In contrast, the stories of Eidos Montreal's games are heavily based on conspiracies to manipulate public opinion. Politics still matter and the conspirators need to gather support for what they want to do.
Did you get the feeling that the NPCs in Deus Ex generally knew that there was a conspiracy that ruled the world western world?

E.g. People came to the clinics to get a vaccine for Grey Death of their own free will in Deus Ex, trusted the government and mega-corporations, ate soy products and all that because they had no reason to suspect a grand conspiracy. Apart from the NSF separatist terrorists, but they were outside the system.

The UNATCO troops thought they were working for the "good guys" against the bad terrorists — only the top UNATCO brass was "in on the conspiracy". An eccentric billionaire who was of course in on the plot, Juan Lebedev, is able to pull the curtain and show us that what we thought were the good guys aren't the good guys.

In other words, the conspiracy had basically won in the original Deus Ex world as you say, but it wasn't so pervasive or blatant that people in general knew or accepted it. Only the elite and chosen few did. That's the Deus Ex world.

The first Eidos Montreal game didn't take that approach, much to its determent — but I felt the second game, Mankind Divided, did commit again to the "original" Deus Ex world idea. The first game was meandering with the pedestrian and milquetoast "omg the media isn't telling the truth, they're pushing a narrative". That's why I really never felt the Human Revolution game was properly Deus Ex, felt more like Ghost in the Machine animu wannabe game — but Mankind Divide was back in the Deus Ex universe. That's why it's such an underrated game and it felt way too short. We finally got a proper Deus Ex sequel in MD.

kangaxx

Arbiter
The hilariously voiced "Aussie" barman in HK realised what was going on, from memory. Maybe he's the exception that proves the rule.

However I don't think you and orange robot are necessarily saying mutually exclusive things, Atlantico .

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom