Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware A new Deus Ex was in development at Eidos Montreal

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Let's be real for a moment here. Invisible War was the last real Deus Ex game and the series ended there. Anything on top of the OG duology is some Star Wars prequel tier bullshit that we don't need or want. If you want to make an immersive sim you can do it, there be games like it coming out now. Peripeteia, Fortune's Run, that Mexican Deus Ex game is already out called Brigand: Oaxaca. The faggy Poles even made a buggy unfinished Ubishit AAA game out of the formula. You can make new games about conspiracies no problem. The story of Deus Ex is over and the setting is as explored as you can make it without adding all this stupid shit to it.

We already had the best ending to it.

So why are you niggas even talking about this Canadian gay shit?

Finally some appreciation for Invisible War.:salute:
The redheaded stepchild of the franchise.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
The hilariously voiced "Aussie" barman in HK realised what was going on, from memory. Maybe he's the exception that proves the rule.

However I don't think you and orange robot are necessarily saying mutually exclusive things, Atlantico .
You're right, though he was in China outside the conspiracy. China knew what the West had become and walled off. The last independent country in the world.

But of course on an individual level there were people in the West who knew about some or all of the conspiracies, or suspected. People in general were not in the know.

My comment replying to infinitron was to highlight that Eidos Montreal had moved in the direction of the original Deus Ex with Mankind Divided for their original cringe.

Skdursh

Savant
Judging this purely on how the AAA industry is these days I'd say the odds on this new installment putting heavy focus on the "trans" part of transhumanism is about 1:1.

My guess: Jensen in a wig, with lipstick, comically large fake breasts, heels, still has a full beard.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
In Deus Ex,it is established that the Illuminati/Majestic 12 have almost complete control over Europe,but still have difficulties in controlling the United States and China.
By the time you reach the Ocean Lab,you can read in a newspaper that almost all the major capitals of the world are under MJ12 martial law. Notable exception being Beijing.

I hope this new DX is more grounded in reality rather than being a western anime like HR. I liked The later Deus Ex games but want something more realistic.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer

The main issue with the game was that the levels were scaled down to work with consoles, giving that huge "cramped" feeling. The story and events were pretty interesting.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

The main issue with the game was that the levels were scaled down to work with consoles, giving that huge "cramped" feeling. The story and events were pretty interesting.
I agree.
The decision to scale down the game to accommodate consoles was a big mistake.

Gargaune

Arcane

That wasn't even remotely IW's only sin, the progression and itemisation were near obliviated and the setting went from the original's gritty near-future noir balls first into purple jumpsuit SciFi, tenuously connected to the predecessor's plot with soap opera-grade character recycling. Even if the levels hadn't been exbawksed, it would've still been a big disappointment as a sequel.

Look, it was a better game than plenty of its contemporaries at a time of vigorous decline, but it was a terrible Deus Ex, it deserves all the flack it got.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Sure.
The universal ammo thing was also incredibly dumb.
Laura Bailey was pretty good voicing Alex Denton.
There are some positive factors to be found,but the game was also burdened with the task of being a sequel to one of the most celebrated and succesful games in history. No small task...

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
Invisible War was a thoroughly mediocre console shooter and it's always baffling when people come to it's defense, especially on this site of all places. I can think of only 2 (TWO) positive points to say about it:
  1. Final level where you can reject the dumbass plot and just kill everyone
  2. This one club song:

grimace

Arcane
Invisible War was a thoroughly mediocre console shooter and it's always baffling when people come to it's defense, especially on this site of all places. I can think of only 2 (TWO) positive points to say about it:
  2. This one club song:

I'd watch a Let's Play of Invisible War. Never did I complete it myself. Kidneythieves did make the Product better.

Ash

Arcane

Look, it was a better game than plenty of its contemporaries at a time of vigorous decline, but it was a terrible Deus Ex, it deserves all the flack it got.

Agreed with most of your message. Blaming consoles is retarded, because it was shit even by console standards of the time, and most of the problems were design related not hardware related. Some of the biggest levels in the FPS genre are in Turok, a N64 game. And on that note and what I wanted to address: vigorous decline? 2003 gaming was still going OK. Not swimmingly like the 90s, but OK. In the first person RPG realm we had Morrowind, Arx Fatalis & VTM:B. Certain other genres had already started to fall, yeah, but Morrowind/Arx/VTM:B/Deus Ex 1 is quite the combo for the early 00s.

Agreed with most of your message. Blaming consoles is retarded, because it was shit even by console standards of the time, and most of the problems were design related not hardware related. Some of the biggest levels in the FPS genre are in Turok, a N64 game. And on that note and what I wanted to address: vigorous decline? 2003 gaming was still going OK. Not swimmingly like the 90s, but OK. In the first person RPG realm we had Morrowind, Arx Fatalis & VTM:B. Certain other genres had already started to fall, yeah, but Morrowind/Arx/VTM:B/Deus Ex 1 is quite the combo for the early 00s.
It also ran like ass on PCs of the time, so its not like they could have easily made the levels twice as big and as detailed if not for being held back by consoles. Granted this was in a time period where you were expected to need to upgrade your PC every few years to keep running the latest games, but Invisible War was no Crysis and didn't justify an upgrade graphically.

Ash

Arcane
Yup, in terms of level size, Invisible War had alleged engine problems, but it also had a graphics whoring problem. It looks pretty damn good for 2003. But it shouldn't have. Deus Ex looked like ass for 2000 and IW should have looked like ass for 2003. That is a requirement for a great Underworld-like/"immersive sim" game. Perhaps the only exception is Arx Fatalis, but not really. It looks damn good, at least the environments. But alas it is a game not without problems itself (levels on the smaller side, janky animations, game length too short, balance issues etc).

The more you focus time, effort and money in graphics, the less it goes to other things. Only pumping money into the project can rectify this, but then you fall into the high risk investment trap every modern high profile game suffers from. And besides, IW was designed to be a sellout cash cow from its inception unfortunately. It was made to be dumb for the masses. Yet they had no idea what they were doing, pretending to be retarded was hard for them I guess. They didn't figure out how to sell out, the exact commercialization formula, until Bioshock and Dishonored.

Last edited:

Sykar

Arcane
  2. This one club song:

Imo IW was a piece of consoletard garbage.

Ash

Arcane
Console tard garbage made by PC devs for the PC and for the console that was also made by PC devs (Xbox was lead-designed by an ex-LGS dev and funded by Micro$oft), said console which ruined both PC and console gaming, because the people behind it are sellouts. IW also played nothing like any console game prior. Good one. You Sir are wise.

Last edited:

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
I'd watch a Let's Play of Invisible War. Never did I complete it myself. Kidneythieves did make the Product better.
I mean I sort of did one at the start of covid but it wasn't a good one. I got most of the characters killed.
That tends to be a problem with me and Invisible War is that by the time I reach JCDenton I've lost a great deal of interest I had in the game so it just gets tedious at that point.
Doesn't help that the later enemies are quite spongey 1 hit your dead types so the game gets more frustrating than fun. Plus that last boss fight is pretty horrendous. By the time I hit the end I'm so over it and just want any ending that'll get me out of it quicker.
It's a shame because the early game is quite good but yeah the design and the story just ruin it. I also did the PS2 version of Deus Ex 1 which was one of the more enjoyable playthroughs because of how different the level design is, Deus Ex 1 translated much better to console than Invisible War.

Deus Ex looked like ass for 2000 and IW should have looked like ass for 2003
100% agree, they should have continued modifying Unreal 1 Engine and not moved to the newer version. It was obvious after the PS2 version of Deus Ex 1 that they had mastered squeezing performance out of that engine. To have to start entirely again is why Invisible War ended up such a mess.
They ended up repeating the same thing with Deus Ex Clan Wars which became Project Snowblind, which was even worse received than Invisible War. Basically, Eidos was running everything into the ground because they were going bankrupt.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
Project: Blind Sellout (BLIND to the fact the entire industry consciously conspired to sellout, and succeeded in that goal).
Deus Ex: Invisible Integrity
Deus Ex: Game Design Devolution
Deus Ex: The Fall of Game Design (was well under way approximately in the mid-late 2000s)
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (yes we certainly are divided, but to frame it mostly only as augs vs non-augs is retarded when you could have explored so many topics relevant to the real world just as the original did, and didn't you already explore that one subject more than enough in the prior game? Boo! Put me to sleep why don't you)

deuxhero

Arcane
I tried playing IW multiple times. My primary impression is that it's a really shitty PC port: It's horribly unstable (the reason I've never gotten far), and half the keys can't be remapped despite garbage default binds. I'd actually give it a try if they did a remaster, but otherwise can't be bothered.

Last edited:

Drakortha

Liturgist
I was 15 years old when my parents went to the rental store and randomly picked up Invisible War for me on Xbox. I had never played Deus Ex before. I remember spending hours just messing around with the exploration and sandbox elements the game had. Eventually I got to own the disk. Graphics and Immersion were through the roof as it pushed the Xbox to it's limits at the time. IW was good shit and definitely left an impression on me.

Last edited:

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
I was 15 years old when my parents went to the rental store and randomly picked up Invisible War for me on Xbox. I had never played Deus Ex before. I remember spending hours just messing around with the exploration and sandbox elements the game had. Eventually I got to own the disk. Graphics and Immersion were through the roof as it pushed the Xbox to it's limits at the time. IW was good shit and definitely left an impression on me.
I played IW before Deus Ex as well. I think I was around 11-12 and I got the demo for IW on an Xbox Magazine demo disc. I was struck by how much I could interact with the environment and improvise solutions even in such a short demo, how I could either blast people in the face or get by with stealth, and played the demo over and over again until the full game came out. A few years later I pirated a copy of the original Deus Ex and loved it, and could immediately tell it was a far superior game, but I do think playing IW at an earlier age did inform some of my taste in video games and naturally made me inclined to like games like Deus Ex and Thief later on. Despite all the consolization and dumbing down (not to mention the egregiously bad continuation of the story and characters from the first game) there was enough of a spark of the original design philosophy in there, and the fact that you can kill every character in the game deserves praise.

Project: Blind Sellout (BLIND to the fact the entire industry consciously conspired to sellout, and succeeded in that goal).
Deus Ex: Invisible Integrity
Deus Ex: Game Design Devolution
Deus Ex: The Fall of Game Design (was well under way approximately in the mid-late 2000s)
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (yes we certainly are divided, but to frame it mostly only as augs vs non-augs is retarded when you could have explored so many topics relevant to the real world just as the original did, and didn't you already explore that one subject more than enough in the prior game? Boo! Put me to sleep why don't you)

Don't forget Deus EX GMDX: Gay Men Doing Xanax

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Agreed with most of your message. Blaming consoles is retarded, because it was shit even by console standards of the time, and most of the problems were design related not hardware related. Some of the biggest levels in the FPS genre are in Turok, a N64 game.
Turok was on a different engine and had emptier maps, no broad environmental interactivity, no NPCs walking around. The PS2 port of Deus Ex had to redo the level design in some areas because the console just couldn't support it. Releasing a game that looks like it's from 2000 in 2004 also would have been out of the question.

J1M

Arcane
Most people have no idea how bad Invisible War was from a technical point of view. All of the problems stemmed from Warren Specter's insistence on using 100% real-time lighting because he thought that was immersive and believed tech demo lies about how it would be viable in the new version of Unreal.

To design around this imposition, the levels became tiny. Also, the reason load times are so terrible is because the game literally quits and reloads the entire executable when you switch maps.

Unwanted

†††

Patron
Most people have no idea how bad Invisible War was from a technical point of view. All of the problems stemmed from Warren Specter's insistence on using 100% real-time lighting because he thought that was immersive and believed tech demo lies about how it would be viable in the new version of Unreal.

To design around this imposition, the levels became tiny. Also, the reason load times are so terrible is because the game literally quits and reloads the entire executable when you switch maps.
More proof that figureheads are talkative morons who don't know what makes a game good. Without a good team reigning them in, they only create trash.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom