Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Admit it: You are going to buy Fallout 4.

Select one once you've come to peace with the truth

• Day 1 pip-boy edition preorder

Votes: 10 2.7%
  • Collector's edition

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Fine I admit you're right but just the regular edition

Votes: 27 7.3%
  • Grudgingly buy it after release

Votes: 24 6.5%
  • Borrow from swedish unlicensed maritime tax collectors

Votes: 73 19.7%
  • I WON'T DO IT I TELL YOU!!!/in denial/kingcomrade

Votes: 39 10.5%
  • OP is a faggot

Votes: 197 53.1%

• Total voters

Cadmus

Arcane
Fuck Fallout 4 and fuck Todd, I'd rather play Minesweeper.
Fact is, my PC can't run these new games anymore, they get released in a shit bugged state and they are shit anyway so why bother? I need to replay Max Payne 2 for the 40th time.
OP is a faggot.
Burn it all down.
Feminists are infiltrating the Codex and forcing people to play Fallout 4.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I'll probably buy it - 5 years down the line when they start adding it to boxes of cereal.

Otherwise, Beth would have to pay ME to even consider touching one of their bug ridden shitfests on a launch day.

AngryKobold

Arcane
I did not even buy fallout 2, I could sense the decline from the samey graphics on the box cover.
It wasn't so bad. The original is still better though, and unlike the first Fallout there is no particular *need* to play it.

1tK8c4u.gif

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Video games need to be thought of less as religious experiences and more as games if they're going to be enjoyed properly. If you've already played Monopoly there's no *need* to play a Lord of the Rings themed version of Monopoly.

The concession I'll make is that by the same token if you've already played the Lord of the Rings themed version of monopoly there is no real *need* to play the original iteration.

Last edited:

AngryKobold

Arcane
Video games need to be thought of less as religious experiences and more as games if they're going to be enjoyed properly. If you've already played Monopoly there's no *need* to play a Lord of the Rings themed version of Monopoly.

You're undermining yourself with great efficiency.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
You're undermining yourself with great efficiency.

... in what way? Fallout and Fallout 2 are mostly the same with minor neurotic differences due to slightly divergent design sensibilities. Same situation with Monopoly and every other version of it.

AngryKobold

Arcane
... in what way? Fallout and Fallout 2 are mostly the same with minor neurotic differences due to slightly divergent design sensibilities. Same situation with Monopoly and every other version of it.
So you see F2 as F1 Deluxe plus some extra wacky content. You admit to be oblivious of significant differences between the two titles. It's your problem, not mine.

So you see F2 as F1 Deluxe plus some extra wacky content. You admit to be oblivious of significant differences between the two titles. It's your problem, not mine.

Significance is subjective. Minor neurotic differences carry huge weight to most committed RPG players, a tendency that is exploited and reinforced by trends in the P&P market.

Personally, I have a hard time saying that a game that went into production the same year as original released with a mostly unmodified engine could have significant differences.

(1) Fallout 2 content was a bit better at supporting the full set of skills supported by the SPECIAL System, but not a whole lot because they made it too quickly.

(2) You got those minor engine improvements, like pushing people out of doors.

(3) The biggest design difference was that Avellone focused on making each separate environment meaningful and interactive (mostly at the expense of realism) while Cain took an extremely naturalistic approach to the construction of a post-apocalyptic world -- areas varied widely in interest and importance, similar to Morrowind.

However, despite Avellone's efforts, areas still varied in importance in interest in Fallout 2 (due to rushed production in places like Redding and end-game areas were less flushed out than Vault City and New Reno), and *some* quests drew on Cain's naturalistic approach to world building, in particular pertaining to interactions between Vault City and everywhere else.

The effect being the major point of divergence between the two games was heavily watered down.

Y~up. Last time 'round I only had to wait about an hour after release for the drama to begin. Players had just met Moira. No Mutants Allowed was....it was....glorious. For this one I plan to experience it along with the masses. Lessee, what could be the Harold moment?

Oh, I know! Botched cloning leaves you with a midget Frank Horrigan companion.

"Fear me!!"

That and I always get hopeful they'll bring back the days of FO1 where power armor was completely and utterly broken. Let me tromp through a settlement while small-arms bounce right off me. Mwahaha.

Moira's certainly... out there, but there's this woman who give you a poem at your birthday party. That shit is confusing and even creepy, especially after reading it.

I remember either overhearing it in a conversation or in the Overseer's computer logs that she's extremely sexually repressed and uses the fortunes as a way to deal with depression.

pippin

I'm actually curious to see how they are going to handle mods, now that they are adding them to consoles as well.
I'm expecting lots of anger from console kiddies who won't understand how to make them properly and/or not being able to install loverslab mods.
There's also a chance that Bethesda reinvent the wheel and find a way to add DRM to mods.

Not gonna buy, not gonna pirate, not even gonna bitch about it. New Bethesda game, same shit as ever, what's the point? My days of bitching about games on internet started with Fallout 3 and joining of NMA, after which I soon discovered this place. Fuck letting the cycle repeat.

Lhynn

Arcane
I'm actually curious to see how they are going to handle mods, now that they are adding them to consoles as well.
I'm expecting lots of anger from console kiddies who won't understand how to make them properly and/or not being able to install loverslab mods.
There's also a chance that Bethesda reinvent the wheel and find a way to add DRM to mods.
They will have their own workshop for non steam fallout 4, as far as i know it will be shared between pc and consoles.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Honestly the main reason I ditched FO3 was health bloat in a shooter(-"like"). For one thing it annoys the hell out of me if a headshot in a shooter doesn't kill or do critical damage. You know what, in any genre, if I am given the ability to aim at body parts, there better be significant effects. I don't even think the uhhh whatever pause-aimed-shot system made aimed damage effects any better in significance.

I think New Vegas changed that a lot.. Well, I didn't have the same feeling at least. And I remember even VtmB was better - I'd rather have my stats affect my aiming chance rather than just health and damage. Hell, I maybe even Oblivion had better combat (not in terms of aiming at specific body parts, but at least the gameplay relied more on armor and blocking than straight up health bloat, and I think fights ended faster too).

In any case, what I mean is that I didn't even get to any of the writing or areas (past the first town) or anything in FO3 before I ditched it, haha.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom