Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Aeon of Sands: The Trail - Dungeon Crawling RPG love letter to the 90s!

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
In recent memory, The Messenger, a 2d platformer, did this as well.

Breaking the fourth wall, with few exceptions in any narratives (say Deadpool) is usually a terrible idea

It comes across as, wink-wink aren't I clever (you aren't) and breaks immersion

marcuz

Two Bits Kid
Developer
It's ok not to like it.

Breaking the 4th wall, regardless, is a plot device as any other, and with a > 2.000 years long tradition, that has nothing to do with trying to be clever.

That said, it's fun that AoS is accused of using it "all the time" (which would imply a structural use of the device, to the point that it would establish the convention of itself as "the" nut of the story, like it does in Deadpool): because it really doesn't.

It's used, instead: 1) as a way to tell the player, at the very start, "here is the info you need to play, and you can play like this, or like that, and please consider not to pirate this game; have fun." and 2) as a device to underscore moments in which the main character unravels, because, let's face it: gardener in the middle of the desert.

And while I would change other things if I could of AoS, or I would have at the time done differently if we had the finance, I would not change that.

To each its own preferences, as long as you know they are not absolute truths :)

marcuz

Two Bits Kid
Developer
3c1a6286508925.5d9bda984305e.jpg

I toyed a little with the idea of adding Steam collectible cards, mostly because we were requested; but we tanked the idea: supporting the odd collectibles system of Steam would have been time consuming and added nothing to the game.
So yesterday I was left with four pulp style illustrations, that I placed on my Behance portfolio, and can be downloaded as one size desktop wallpaper here:
https://www.behance.net/gallery/86508925/AoS-pulp-illustrations

Meanwhile, we worked on polishing some edges of AoS, and we'll release a new patch soon :)

Last edited:

marcuz

Two Bits Kid
Developer
Steam Winter Sale: 75% OFF Aeon of Sands

During the Steam Winter Sale, Aeon of Sands, a game that inhabited the 2010's at length, is being ushered out for good with the terminal discount of 75% off, to welcome a new decade!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/907820/Aeon_of_Sands__The_Trail/

I look forward to see in what new or retrofitted ways we'll misuse the new decade, but I hope it will be at least interesting.
Happy new decade EAB!

giphy.gif

Disclaimer:
- Aeon of Sands (AoS) does not endorse Climate Change;
- No lizards or leeches have been purposely harmed to create AoS;
- AoS ranked on RPGCodex, in the top ten of the games that everybody love to hate and misunderstand in 2019;
- You probably will be able to like it, if you:

- don't stress over "winning";
- don't care about "completing";
- are ok with flaws;
- like to read in games, and/or be punished by texts, just because you exist;
- You probably will be prevented to like it, if - non exclusively - you:
- detest meta (whatever that means);
- are a hoarder
- believe that things should make sense at all times, and you should be in control;
- detest the color orange.

Last edited:

Sacibengala

Prophet
Steam Winter Sale: 75% OFF Aeon of Sands

During the Steam Winter Sale, Aeon of Sands, a game that inhabited the 2010's at length, is being ushered out for good with the terminal discount of 75% off, to welcome a new decade!

I look forward to see in what new or retrofitted ways we'll misuse the new decade, but I hope it will be at least interesting.
Happy new decade EAB!

giphy.gif

Disclaimer:
- Aeon of Sands (AoS) does not endorse Climate Change;
- No lizards or leeches have been purposely harmed to create AoS;
- AoS ranked on RPGCodex, in the top ten of the games that everybody love to hate and misunderstand in 2019;
- You probably will be able to like it, if you:

- don't stress over "winning";
- don't care about "completing";
- are ok with flaws;
- like to read in games, and/or be punished by texts, just because you exist;
- You probably will be prevented to like it, if - non exclusively - you:
- are detest meta (whatever that means);
- are a hoarder
- things should make sense at all times, and you should be in control;
- You detest the color orange.
I'm in fucking love with this game. Hate the narrative, though.

Curratum

The demo is much appreciated. I was always curious but the price was putting me off.

marcuz

Two Bits Kid
Developer
Aeon of Sands is one and half years old, and today reaches v1.5!

oAkB1Ia.jpg

If you've finished the game at least once by reaching one of the three possible endings and start the game all over again, you can now choose to skip the Tutorial Dungeon (the Underroots) and start the adventure with NEW companions Tula and Kturim!

They speak little or not at all, but they open up new ways to face exploration and combat!

Tula and Kturim come with a special item each; having it equipped or idle in the backpack switches between normal and experimental combat modes.

Tula, a smart and resilient scavenger, can use her technical savvy to trick magic out of the elements. So did her ancestors in forgotten times, at the enormous price of their own health (they did disappear for a reason...)

But Tula can also do without it, and become a formidable ranged warrior instead.

Kturim, a wise Berserk warrior, can summon the power of his lost civilization, through a stony scepter of old, to attack from afar the desert creatures that would eat him whole.
Or he can lay down this scepter and stand before Setrani as a veritable shield.
This works even better when he is armed, you know.

Oh, and btw, Aeon of Sands is now on 20% discount on Steam during Summer Sale!

grimace

Arcane
Aeon of Sands is one and half years old, and today reaches v1.5!

Oh, and btw, Aeon of Sands is now on 20% discount on Steam during Summer Sale!

A quick search brings up this post:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/907820/discussions/0/1742227898972066725/

marcuz [developer] Dec 6, 2018 @ 1:23am

We'd love to, but it's out of our hands. It's for Gog to decide.

There is a wishlist: https://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/aeon_of_sands_the_trial

and the people who ask about it: https://www.gog.com/forum/general/aeon_of_sands_the_trail

We assume if more people want AoS, Gog would say yes.

marcuz will GOG.com add AoS v1.5 to the store?

marcuz

Two Bits Kid
Developer
marcuz will GOG.com add AoS v1.5 to the store?

I love GOG too, but AoS will not be there for the time being, sorry: there are no plans in that direction; while we are thankful for the wishlists on that store, they are - simply put - too few to justify the work and management required at the moment.
But, if the concern is only in regards of a DRM, Aeon of Sands has no such thing. Once bought on Steam, it can simply played with no Steam client installed, if you are so inclined.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I finally had the opportunity to check the demo and I really like it - more than Grimrock, actually (don't yell, I only played Grimrock 1, I know 2 is better). It reminds me of later Yendorian Tales a lot.
However, I got completely stuck on level 3 of Underroots, so after years of :decline: console gaming I might have gotten too dumb for these games. Kudos to the devs, good job.

marcuz

Two Bits Kid
Developer
If you use Discord and like help to complete that dungeon, we do have a discord channel for hints, here: https://discord.gg/zDzzFG9

just because offering to help people here seems a bit like stalking on my part :)

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I finally had the opportunity to check the demo and I really like it - more than Grimrock, actually (don't yell, I only played Grimrock 1, I know 2 is better). It reminds me of later Yendorian Tales a lot.
However, I got completely stuck on level 3 of Underroots, so after years of :decline: console gaming I might have gotten too dumb for these games. Kudos to the devs, good job.

Isn't the level with illusionary walls?

PEACH

Arbiter
finally got around to playing this and ended up enjoying it more than I thought I would. the combat isn't anything amazing, but the dungeons, atmosphere, and CYOA segments really won me over.

I think I messed up and passed over too many areas because I expected to return to the overland map at some point, but despite the fairly brisk run (and missing over half the content according to the end screen) I had a great time the whole way through and finished it in a couple sittings. definitely something I'll return to in the future and try to dig in a bit deeper with now that I better understand the somewhat idiosyncratic pacing and structure of the game.

If you've finished the game at least once by reaching one of the three possible endings and start the game all over again, you can now choose to skip the Tutorial Dungeon (the Underroots) and start the adventure with NEW companions Tula and Kturim!

this is a great feature I wish more developers would consider. being able to jump into the meat of the game on a fresh run is invaluable.

Last edited:
Just started playing this and I really dig it so far. The first dungeon was a blast to explore. The atmosphere and art design is solid, and the combat is enjoyable enough...

... but man do I hate the "narrator". This game is prime example why video game writers should not attempt humor. It almost always results in disaster when they do. Hell has a special place reserved for 4th-wall breakers (I don't mean this sincerely, I just cringe hard when the 4th wall breaks).

EDIT - I did read the post where the dev says the 4th wall breaking is front loaded. I sure do hope that's the case. I considered refunding the game due to this issue alone, but I won't and will give it a chance.

EDIT - Actually I did end up refunding. I can't stomach the writing.

Last edited:

wishbonetail

Learned
Narrator is really bad and you should not click for him to elaborate further on topics. Other than that writing is ok for the most part, dungeons are solid, atmosphere is superb, especially for post-apoc fans. It is not long, so it doesn't overstay its welcome, and has good amount of replayability. Also, if there's an option to skip tutorial, don't - it's one of the best dungeons in game.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
So this is like the post-apocalyptic Eye of the Beholder? As much as I generally dislike real-time combat, might get this one for the atmosphere.

wishbonetail

Learned
Real-time is meh and can be quite hectic so i wouldn't advise highest difficulty. The atmosphere is thick you can cut it with a knife, carried me till the end and i'll surely return someday.

V_K

Arcane
So this is like the post-apocalyptic Eye of the Beholder?
More like Lands of Lore - you have a party of three (eventually), only one of which you create, and the setting is a slightly weird spin on post-apo (there's magic for one), the same way LoL is a slightly weird spin on high fantasy. Plus there's overworld travel and CYOA sequences.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Just got it in the winter sale for $5.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom