Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

After playing a lot of JRPGs, most CRPGs became tedious

I think it's undeniable that JRPG have more memorable music. It's also a different philosophy. cRPGs are more formulaic in their approach to world-building and 'immersion' and they write background music that supports a scene but also doesn't 'intrude' too much. JRPGs go all out all the time so yeah, they end up really memorable sountracks.

More memorable in both good and bad ways. I agree JRPG music is more prominent and in-your-face, but that's a double-edged sword. It's great if it's a track I like but all the more annoying if it's one I don't care for.
Yeah I agree. JRPGs also rarely use silent tracks and the music theme of an area just keeps on looping (+ transition to combat / fight music/ victory music). There is an element of music fatigue that sometimes happens when playing JRPGs that never happens in cRPGs.

True, i can't name one JRPG which has ambient sound effects instead of music playing on loop, the opposite of games like the infinity engine:

Turn on "loudness equalization" on sound settings so you can hear better.

I remember this being of one of the things that made hard for me to get into JRPGs, i had only played WRPGs to that point especially Infinity Engine games, but i got used to it.

There's also CRPGs where music plays on loop without any ambient sound effects, like Fallout 1 and 2. And then There's also tracks which mix both music and ambient sound effects like heroes of/might and magic games:

Also, quoting myself from a 2020 thread:

One of my favourite things about infinity engine games is that music doesn't play in a non-stop loop all the time, giving room to ambient sound effects instead. Soundtrack itself is very important but it can get repetitive and annoying if the same track is playing in a loop for a long period of time.

I would say that infinity engine games has my favourite implementation of sound design in any game. the cities in BG and IWD felt so alive even though it's mostly static 2d sprites.
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/theres-nothing-more-immersive-than-music.135036/page-3

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arcane
I used to hate JRPGs and i had a hard time getting into them, but after a lot of attempts i've finally got into them and i've been playing JRPGs constantly for the last years:

Breath of Fire II, III, IV
Dragon Quest series
Final Fantasy IV, VI, VII
Fire Emblem series
Legend of Dragoon
Suikoden I, II
Vandal Hearts
Xenogears
and so much more.

These games play similar and are easy to get into, they offer a decent story(even with all the tropes), fun combat, responsive UI, great music (on average better than CRPGs), and cool weird-but-original monsters design. Sure, gameplay wise they are dumbed down and not as complex as CRPGs, BUT they are FUN and respect my time, simple as that.

When i play CRPGs, especially before-Fallout CRPGs i have to deal with slow clunky UI, games not working properly on WIN 10, bugs, reading manuals, bad pacing, cryptic puzzles and gameplay mechanics, drawing maps, slow or clunky combat system (real time blobbers, Ultima VII, RoA, TES), inconsistent difficulty...

meanwhile i can just put any JRPG on emulator and eveything will run flawlessly and i am guaranteed to have fun, at least for a while depending on the game. Even bland bottom tier JRPGs (beyond the beyond, Dragon Quest 2, Record of Agarest War) still enjoyable, meanwhile, bottom tier WRPGs (Ishar, Lionheart, Lands of Lore 3, Might and magic 9) are a huge nope for me.

I can still play and enjoy Fallout, Baldur's Gate, Arcanum, Icewind Dale, Planescape, Might and Magic 3-8... those games are timeless, but JRPGs are more fun for me overall.

That's the main reason on why i've not been on Codex anymore, and other reason is that i've to confirm my email everytime i want to login, codex still haven't fixed this shit so i don't even bother.
I completely agree. The new wave of cPRGs turned me off from the genre. I wondered if I just didn't like cRPGs anymore but I still enjoy the oldies. There's something repulsive about modern cRPGs and I can't quite put my finger on it. I got back into jRPGs this past decade after being away the entirety of the 2000s. Even if most of them are cringe garbage, there's some real gems in there.

Reality

Learned
I used to play 90s and 2000s JRPGs and then got burnt out and went to 90s CRPGs, then got burnt out and went to 80s CRPGs.

Quick and dirty rundown on things

ATTB based - I think that the Power Curve of these games is almost eerily similiar, to the point that when I play them now I shun the classic JRPG "never spend money" approach and buy 12 on-level consumable healing items between dungeons + shop upgrade all equipment/armor every 4 towns (in-between upgrades are always chests) ... Kind of lets you blitz many SNES/PS1 rpgs without ever having to backtrack out of a dungeon for town healing in inns.... I easily went over an event horizon of wanting to play all classics > getting sick when I started seeing things coming > Applied the 12/4 formula to a few games all of which fall before it (it's really more for 1991-1993 JRPGs, as 1994-2001 tend to have lower difficulty despite better mechanics)

SRPG - Kind of split between 2 extremes one with classing/job switching (FFT/Ogre Battle) and the other with intentionally simplified stuff and higher speed (Fire Emblem/Shining Force) These kind of games are fun if spread out far enough, but playing many of them can start to get annoying when you notice the high prevalance of "must attack closest" unconditional enemy AI, being allowed to succeed with absolutely any class composition, and quite often, defensive play being WAY over rewarded (While genre naturally features chokepoints compared to non tactical RPGs, the Games with enemy phase counter attacks are worst offenders) - Probbably my favorite JRPG subgenre a few years ago.

Japan Dungeon Crawler - Fun but almost always very min-maxy ---- While good combatwise I never feel the "spelunking" feeling of the more puzzling/exploration approach, and tbh M&M or Wizardry 1-3 simple combat Does have excitement in its push your luck aspect -what with being about trying to use Attack Attack Attack Defend Defend Defend on as many enemies you could get away with and budgeting all magic for Enemy Magic Users/Breath Attackers/Ninjas

There are plenty of non-standard JRPGs with unique battle systems, some of them are keepers, others are very loveable and intereesting until your 10th hour with them when you realize that depsite having a fancy Field or attack timeline system.. enemy quality invariably causes you to realize that you don't NEED to engage with the mechanics and can use a game-agnostic 3 beatsticks+1Healer approach (I think Chrono Cross and Bravely Default stand out as offenders off the top of my head). I think in the end the best approach is to just focus on the "honeymoon" period of playing games of this kind and pretending like systems work even when their is a clear vulnerability to not mixing classes much and no need for a balanced party something you also need to do in a CRPG like Silent Storm

I have a pretty positive opinion on a lot of JRPGs but I refuse to go on "hidden gem" hunts through the PS1/SNES backlog anymore.

There are plenty of non-standard JRPGs with unique battle systems, some of them are keepers, others are very loveable and intereesting until your 10th hour with them when you realize that depsite having a fancy Field or attack timeline system.

Did you play Vagrant Story ? that game is pretty unique.

Hassar

Scholar
dressed up with colorful graphics designed - for the most part - to appeal to kids.

(Sigh!), i've been saying this from time to time, to people who complains about Anime, Cartoons, and JRPGs art-styles, and games with simple graphics, that their art-style/graphics is abstract. When you're playing a ASCII Roguelike for example: you're not seing T's, fighting D's, using S's and A's. You are:

tree_267376982.jpg

seeing Trees!

c6f8ed653fc1bb2e7d26f424b21c17cd.jpg

Fighting Dragons!

d7yfug-5d3f9c09-8ff7-4192-9bb4-544dab5e4941.jpg

Using Swords and Axes!

When you read this: "The kraken grabs Wolverine with his tentacles!"

You're not seeing just letters and words, you're seeing something like this:

3e15172a8b8512a0dfc39b8f32422131.jpg

When you're playing:

maxresdefault.jpg

FFII Behemoth

You're seeing:

175672.jpg

FFII official artwork, this is how the game is supposed to look like, if you want to.

Use your imagination and visualization skills to fill the gaps, like reading a book!

Not sure if you are actually replying to my point, which is literally that many JRPGs are designed to appeal to children including with their selection of colors and character design. This is similar to how there are anime/manga designed for mature and adult audiences versus those designed for kids and younger people. Many JRPGs fall into the latter.

Last edited:

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Just came here to say that agree. JRPG are just more polished than most western games, even outside of RPG genre.

Also i demand you guys to play The Worlds Ends With You , Devil Survivor and Strange Journey (both vanilla and redux) on DS and 3ds.Truly Masterpieces

116172-the-world-ends-with-you-nintendo-ds-front-cover.jpg
816CDZPqTyL._AC_SL1471_.jpg
bvDv5YCpUDA9zoKX2E47tjbWXVzObZ2Yz3PjA2Iavt8JlvPzpZ98iy-RqOwiiOLUBD1vMHS1hpi-2BWEaTqyAyvwJakJTzpJ7aFf5K4nZLxV0JR3RH6yJPpsDTZRuYnzJif1NJYRebRCLT-8xfWNNxA2eED2xsARXeQKI8pWm-OQPw

Last edited:

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'd say the opposite. After playing peak incline turn based games like Fell Seal, Xcom, Breach, I've really become turned off by poor implementations of turn based combat in most JRPGs.

This is not really a JRPG thing, but these days my time is valuable and I really am disliking badly implemented turn based games. Which ends up being 90% of turn based games, because nobody understands the turn based gameplay loop that well.

It's not even a Nippon vs West thing, but the Japanese game industry loves their turn based games in general.

But they produce a lot of shitty ones.

(Obviously because it's a LOT easier to produce a turn based game than a live action real-time one, less frames to animate yo, notice how console games trend towards 24 fps and are practically turn based. Slick 60fps realtime games are *hard*.)

Last edited:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I've played a lot of both JRPGs and CRPGs over the years. I used to enjoy JRPGs a lot when I was a kid, but I have a really hard time with them now for the same reason I hate most modern action games. If I have to sit through another wannabe film maker's 10 hour cutscene montage before getting to play the game, I'm going to start the devs and myself on fire.

I'm also not interested in the OP class that's unlocked after grinding every other class to level 999 when you can beat the game at level 50 with base classes. And if your mega attack does 999,999 damage but the enemy has 999,999,999 hp, you can achieve the same effect by having the attack do 10 damage and the enemy having 100 hp except it's less likely to seem retarded to me. If hp/damage scaling moves up exponentially by the end of the game, how is that even plausible/possible? Differences in materials won't account for it.

tl;dr: JRPGs are only good for children and unemployed autists.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
(Obviously because it's a LOT easier to produce a turn based game than a live action real-time one, less frames to animate yo, notice how console games trend towards 24 fps and are practically turn based. Slick 60fps realtime games are *hard*.)

...no. Turn-based games are not made turn-based because it's 'easier' to do so.
Fuckin retard.

I've played a lot of both JRPGs and CRPGs over the years

Ah, sounds like the take of an experienced gamer. I'm sure this will be a great post! Let's read on...

I used to enjoy JRPGs a lot when I was a kid

I see. You mean you played Pokemon.
Nice.

If I have to sit through another wannabe film maker's 10 hour cutscene montage before getting to play the game, I'm going to start the devs and myself on fire.

The fact you put 'FILM MAKURZZZZ' not only in a separate category, but above game writers shows how stupid you are. What, you can't handle some exposure in your game before hitting your stupid buttons and pretending you're doing something? Try Tetris, it's instant gratification.
You might also want to move over to Reddit before soiling RPGCodex with your vile stench.

I see what the problem is here.
Your extent of roleplaying clearly comes from you pretending you're a cool sniper when you use the night vision goggles your premium copy of the latest Call of Duty came with.
Fuck off.

Derringer

Prophet
Nothing is made in a vaccum. Uematu's stuff sounds and copies shit from prog rock since he was into prog rock, the same with Yoko Kanno ripping shit off from other western jazz composers, she was into western jazz shit.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I used to enjoy JRPGs a lot when I was a kid

I see. You mean you played Pokemon.
Nice.

Starting with the 8 bit era titles like Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest/Warrior, Xanadu, etc. I've actually never played any Pokemon titles, although they'd probably irritate me less than a bunch of this other stuff.
I mean, if you could read and knew the genre, you'd understand that the complaints hit most of the genre such as Final Fantasy, Xenogears, Xenosaga, Dragon Quest, Breath of Fire, Tales of X/Y/Z, The Legend of Heroes: Trails of X/Y/Z, etc.

Also the Persona series is boring as fuck and primarily appeals to emotionally stunted wastoids who wish they were still in high school.

If I have to sit through another wannabe film maker's 10 hour cutscene montage before getting to play the game, I'm going to start the devs and myself on fire.
The fact you put 'FILM MAKURZZZZ' not only in a separate category, but above game writers shows how stupid you are. What, you can't handle some exposure in your game before hitting your stupid buttons and pretending you're doing something? Try Tetris, it's instant gratification.
You might also want to move over to Reddit before soiling RPGCodex with your vile stench.

Starting a game and then being rewarded with cutscenes that take a half hour or more isn't exactly interactive, you complete dipshit. Regardless, when did this become JRPGCodex? :outrage:

I see what the problem is here.
Your extent of roleplaying clearly comes from you pretending you're a cool sniper when you use the night vision goggles your premium copy of the latest Call of Duty came with.
Fuck off.

Yes, I like playing the role of Master Chief. 10/10 MLG superstar. :dance:

Last edited:

Derringer

Prophet
Linear cinematic rpgs aren't exactly all that fun whether it's western or japanese, neither Cheatengine+Speedhack or turbo in emulators help enough with that.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron

...no. Turn-based games are not made turn-based because it's 'easier' to do so.
Fuckin retard.

Don't be fucking naive haha.

Look at the entire micro industry of Steam shovel-ware TCGs.

Gameplay loops that don't require an *ultra tight latency* between user input and action, are cheaper and easier for game development.

Easier to program, less total man hours to shove something out the door.

Game development is a business.

dacencora

I'd say the opposite. After playing peak incline turn based games like Fell Seal, Xcom, Breach I've really become turned off by poor implementations of turn based combat in most JRPGs.

This is not really a JRPG thing, but these days my time is valuable and I really am disliking badly implemented turn based games. Which ends up being 90% of turn based games, because nobody understands the turn based gameplay loop that well.

It's not even a Nippon vs West thing, but the Japanese game industry loves their turn based games in general.

While X-COM: UFO Defense is one of the best tactical TBs of all time and Into the Breach is a lot of fun (Fell Seal is definitely not anywhere near the same class as top-tier JRPGs nor is it anywhere near the same elegant design of ITB), most JRPGs have Wizardy as their heritage. That “classic” JRPG combat is from Dragon Quest, which was heavily inspired by Wizardry’s combat. Sure, not every JRPG can approach the simple yet elegant combat system of Dragon Quest 1 with its accompanying encounter design, but as far as RPGs go, Wizardry is a good system to emulate.

Any well-designed tactical turn-based strategy game is going to have a better combat system than most RPGs, I mean that’s only logical. RPGs fulfill a different interest.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
I'd say the opposite. After playing peak incline turn based games like Fell Seal, Xcom, Breach I've really become turned off by poor implementations of turn based combat in most JRPGs.

While X-COM: UFO Defense is one of the best tactical TBs of all time and Into the Breach is a lot of fun (Fell Seal is definitely not anywhere near the same class as top-tier JRPGs nor is it anywhere near the same elegant design of ITB), most JRPGs have Wizardy as their heritage. That “classic” JRPG combat is from Dragon Quest, which was heavily inspired by Wizardry’s combat. Sure, not every JRPG can approach the simple yet elegant combat system of Dragon Quest 1 with its accompanying encounter design, but as far as RPGs go, Wizardry is a good system to emulate.

Any well-designed tactical turn-based strategy game is going to have a better combat system than most RPGs, I mean that’s only logical. RPGs fulfill a different interest.

Gameplay loop =/= combat system and game mechanics.

The mechanics and combat system are a subset of the gameplay loop, and generally speaking a fairly minor one.

My problem with turn based is really less to do with the design of the systems that the player interacts with when it's their turn, but with the length of time that player interaction is taken away from the player.

The feeling and design of the turn cycle is much more important to player enjoyment than the array of options given to them when they are at the "it's your turn" point in time.

See Tides of Numenera for an absolutely diabolical experience, and Unity games in generally because they run like a dog on initial release before the studio spends 6 months patching their Unity to speed things up, when control is taken away.

For what it's worth, many many games provide a good turn based array of choices when it's your turn. Dungeons and Dragons has raised our good old game dev overlords well, they get that part right, even if they don't understand the features of the video game itself. Most of the not horrible turn based games are fine there.

But it's those three, Breach/Fell Seal/XCOM, and I mean the Firaxis XCOM, that provide a great *game-play loop*.
Aka understanding the design of the typical game-play cycle, which is point to point the entire experience from mission start, mission end, mission select, back to mission start. And the interactions and responsiveness of the gameplay elements along the way.

Fell Seal's issue was more-so the array of options it presents when it was your turn and the mechanics themselves. But its gameplay loop was exceptionally enjoyable.

---------------------------

In terms of RPG vs turn based strategy, it's a question of focus.

The fundamental identity of an role playing game is... role playing.

And not static role playing, but playing a role in ways that change over time. Statically playing the same role with no changes is not fun unless it's a micro experience.

Aka character development.

Character sheet development, as in blobbers, and narrative development, as in storyfags, are two types of development RPG Codex really looks at.

But you can also change the gameplay loop itself and the game world around the player to show development.

But all of these feed into what people fundamentally like RPGs for, they are there for the progress. Players want to *feel progress*.

Turn based strategy elements and the gameplay loop itself are often adjacent to fulfilling this fundamental characteristic, but it's not a zero sum equation.

You can have a brilliant role playing experience and a brilliant gameplay loop.

But they are parallel concepts as much as they are intertwined, because you're giving the player two different things. An enjoyable gameplay loop, and the feeling of progress.

Last edited:
Why people keep saying you need to grind in JRPGs ? lmao, they are pretty easy for the most part, the only JRPG i had to grind is Final Fantasy IV GBA, to beat the final boss, but even then it was only for 1 hour.

The opposite, CRPGs are the ones desgined for unemployed autists. Things like not knowing where to go/do needing strategy guides, cryptic puzzles, reading manuals, Drawing Maps, slow inventory management, slow combat, slow everything. I can spent 2 hour in a CRPG on the character creation screen alone, i am playing Dragon Quest III right now and in 2 hours i've already beaten 2 dungeons.

Last edited:

Sounds like you want a game with more challenging and deep combat system, Wizardry combat aren't to meant to be strategic, you either spam attacks for most of the time or find a pattern of spells/attacks that works for each encounter, you're just repeating actions without much thought and your stats plays a huge role in the outcome of battles. I do not mind it, i find it relaxing.

Now, If you want game where you need to think on every turn, then yeah, SRPGs or isometric party based games are for you.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Fell Seal,

I want to give you a brofist for playing this, but you do know that Fell Seal is pretty much an inferior rip of Final Fantasy Tactics Advance II right?
Meshes really oddly with the rest of your post, since Fell Seal is such a clear homage to Tactics Ogre style SRPGs while they sadly went out of fashion for a while in Japan.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom