Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age of Wonders 3

• Thread starter Multi-headed Cow
  • Start date

Sloul

Savant
With Paradox backing them, they'll have the $$ to continue the serie, and maybe even to diversify it: RPG and shits (there is an interview about that).
AoW III was not possible for them if Notch didn't contribute to the project with his money.
Let see where it goes.

Black

Arcane
I mean it's cute that people can download games and all, but we're not 15 anymore and complaining that a bigger company with predatorial DLC practices is gobbling up another, smaller company that made some cool games is disingenuous when someone isn't even buying the games in the first place, isn't it?
I bought AoW 1, 2 and Shadow Magic, tell me how I'm being disingenuous for deciding not to buy their game now that the money will go to a shitty publisher.

What has prevented you from buying the game before they were gobbled up by Paradox? It's been deeply discounted many times before, together with both expansions.

GrainWetski

Arcane
What has prevented you from buying the game before they were gobbled up by Paradox? It's been deeply discounted many times before, together with both expansions.

Money still would've gone to another "shitty publisher" known as Valve or CD Projekt. Also, you can't just give Notch positive feedback(and possibly money!?) by buying a game he funded!

Old One

Arcane
So you're preventing yourself from playing probably the best fantasy combat-centred 4x of the last few years
"Preventing myself from playing?" Uh, no. I'm just not going to play it. I won't lose any sleep over that either.

...because you want to stick it to the new man?
I was only mildly interested to begin with which is why I haven't already bought the game. Whether I buy it or not now will have zero effect on Paradox. Still, it's my choice last time I checked, and I despise nuParadox, so there you go. It's a company that used to be a lot of fun, but they've turned to liquid garbage before my eyes over the past few years. Yeah, it's enough to turn me off from AoW3.

Seems a little counterproductive.
Playing AoW3 is literally counterproductive.

Black

Arcane
Variety of things "prevented" me from buying it earlier, none of which are your business. I like to wait before I spend my money, I'm a bad goy, shame on me.
Money still would've gone to another "shitty publisher" known as Valve or CD Projek
Valve takes 30% if you buy a game on Steam, I wonder how much will go to TS now that they're Paradox's bitches.

Oh by the way, I also played New Vegas and all of its dlc without giving a single cent to bethesda. Guess I should feel sorry.

MilesBeyond

Cipher
The acquisition is sad for two reasons. First, because as others have said, Paradox's DLC strategy. In the company's defense, this strategy actually made sense in the early days of CK2: Most DLCs were kind of specific to different groups, allowing you to mix and match your experience, giving you more options and interesting things if you wanted to play as Muslims, republics, Indians, etc, but being 100% superfluous for those who were happy to play as, well, crusader kings. Roughly the first four or five DLC were things that you could safely ignore if you weren't interested in them. But then everyone bought them anyway and PDX realized that "Hey, we can sell all sorts of shit and people will still buy it!"

Second, because I was really hoping that Triumph might try their hand at a scifi 4X. I would love to see what their emphasis on tactical combat would bring to a genre that hasn't had exciting battles since MoO. But it's unlikely that Paradox would let them make a competitor to Stellaris

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
I mean it's cute that people can download games and all, but we're not 15 anymore and complaining that a bigger company with predatorial DLC practices is gobbling up another, smaller company that made some cool games is disingenuous when someone isn't even buying the games in the first place, isn't it?
I bought AoW 1, 2 and Shadow Magic, tell me how I'm being disingenuous for deciding not to buy their game now that the money will go to a shitty publisher.

You should have bought AoW3 years ago, moron.

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera

Money still would've gone to another "shitty publisher" known as Valve or CD Projekt. Also, you can't just give Notch positive feedback(and possibly money!?) by buying a game he funded!

hahahah

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Variety of things "prevented" me from buying it earlier, none of which are your business. I like to wait before I spend my money, I'm a bad goy, shame on me.
Money still would've gone to another "shitty publisher" known as Valve or CD Projek
Valve takes 30% if you buy a game on Steam, I wonder how much will go to TS now that they're Paradox's bitches.

Oh by the way, I also played New Vegas and all of its dlc without giving a single cent to bethesda. Guess I should feel sorry.

Who cares about your problems, faggot? You should quit whining and buy the fucking game.

GTFO of this thread, trash.

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
The acquisition is sad for two reasons. First, because as others have said, Paradox's DLC strategy. In the company's defense, this strategy actually made sense in the early days of CK2: Most DLCs were kind of specific to different groups, allowing you to mix and match your experience, giving you more options and interesting things if you wanted to play as Muslims, republics, Indians, etc, but being 100% superfluous for those who were happy to play as, well, crusader kings. Roughly the first four or five DLC were things that you could safely ignore if you weren't interested in them. But then everyone bought them anyway and PDX realized that "Hey, we can sell all sorts of shit and people will still buy it!"

CK2 DLCs are cancer. Fuck Muslims and other non-Catholics. I want to play as a CRUSADER KING and slaughter Muslims wholesale.

Including their women and children.

Nuke Mecca.

Absinthe

Arcane
Hm, been fiddling around with Goblins and I notice that the Goblins' tier 5 economic governance is obscenely powerful when leveraged right. I've made metropolises pump out 1 juggernaut a turn thanks to a giant mass of wetlands tiles as Goblins. Admittedly, that was also helped by machines getting a -10% gold and mana cost reduction when playing as goblins (even though machines are not goblin units), but the T5 governance bonus is large enough that you don't even need to put the goblins' T4 RG into economy to pump out 1 jug per turn as goblins.

I'm pretty sure Triumph didn't count just how many tiles a large base has under its domain, because you can easily get more production from that T5 governance alone than a full base with the T4 goblin economic governance. You will have to invest in obtaining a lot of wetlands tiles though. The most effective way to create those tiles is through Water Master's Drench the Land, since it's much, much cheaper on the mana and can affect tiles with structures on them, unlike terraforming, but terraforming at least has the advantages of not consuming casting points and targeting individual tiles.

Last edited:

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Thanks for the advices. I'm doing the tutorial. And seems to explain things in good detail, but your tips will sure be useful.

I also got AOW1 for 1.49$. It seems a real steal.

I think I'm going to restart with the first game.

Old One

Arcane
Would it be a good game for someone who's never played 4X?
You shouldn't have any trouble picking it up. I don't know if it will give you an absolutely correct idea of what 4x games are like. It's not exactly typical of that genre. Nothing wrong with that though.

Some time you guys should try the game AoW was inspired by: Master of Magic. I like AoW, but MoM is better.

MilesBeyond

Cipher
Honestly, skip AoW 2. It's pretty disappointing. Its expansion pack Shadow Magic makes it amazing, but SM is standalone, so AoW 2 is a bit pointless. But AoW 1, AoW SM, and AoW 3 are all excellent games that are IMHO among the best in their genre, second only to MoM as far as fantasy TBS goes. The series as a whole benefits a lot from understanding what it does well (combat) and focusing on that. Combat isn't 100% the entire game, but everything in the game serves combat in some way or other.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom