Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Alpha Protocol Reviewed

NFO NL doesn't have it listed, so, probly, yeah. :P

Shannow

Waster of Time
Azrael the cat said:
Clockwork Knight said:
Yeah, it doesn't really matter if it was rounded up instead of down since all the scores are around the 80-90 range. If you're already rating it close to 100, 0.75 doesn't really make any difference. They probably didn't even use a calculator...

Reader: "Shit, 87? if it was 88, maybe I'd give it a chance..."

Yeah, I know, I'm being a twat about it but if there's one thing that would convince me to agree to genocide it would be if doing so would eliminate crappy rounding errors and unnecessary apostraphes. Yes, that's my life:-(
Anybody who misspells apostrophe should kill himself right now. Damn unworthy life...
Not really ;) But elitist math/grammar/spelling nazis making mistakes themselves is hilarious.

1eyedking

Erudite
Azrael the cat said:
Mind you, I once worked with a moderately successful philosopher, with a quality PhD and highly acclaimed books sold on philosophy of religion and moral philosophy, and more than a few papers in political philosophy to boot, who had to send me an email asking how to convert a mark out of 25 into a percentage. I actually ignored the first email, thinking that no-one that highly educated could possibly be so inept at basic maths - I'm not sure that even COUNTS as maths, it's just multiplying the mark by 4 for fucks sake. I just assumed it had to be some in-joke that had gone over my head. And two hours later I got another email asking if I had received the first one, still asking for help converting the mark.

Some people are just numerically illiterate, and they pop up in the strangest places.
It happens to me when I'm not giving finals or other exams. I'm absent at the uni for months and don't get anywhere near a number in that time so when friends ask me to do math in my head I fuck up real hard.

As I said, when I'm preparing for finals, it's an entirely different story. I don't know if it happens the other way around (numerical people fucking up their argumentative logic/strategy after abstaining from it for a while).

Pseudofool

Scholar
1eyedking said:
Azrael the cat said:
Mind you, I once worked with a moderately successful philosopher, with a quality PhD and highly acclaimed books sold on philosophy of religion and moral philosophy, and more than a few papers in political philosophy to boot, who had to send me an email asking how to convert a mark out of 25 into a percentage. I actually ignored the first email, thinking that no-one that highly educated could possibly be so inept at basic maths - I'm not sure that even COUNTS as maths, it's just multiplying the mark by 4 for fucks sake. I just assumed it had to be some in-joke that had gone over my head. And two hours later I got another email asking if I had received the first one, still asking for help converting the mark.

Some people are just numerically illiterate, and they pop up in the strangest places.
It happens to me when I'm not giving finals or other exams. I'm absent at the uni for months and don't get anywhere near a number in that time so when friends ask me to do math in my head I fuck up real hard.

As I said, when I'm preparing for finals, it's an entirely different story. I don't know if it happens the other way around (numerical people fucking up their argumentative logic/strategy after abstaining from it for a while).
What the hell are you using a numerical scale for grading? That's where you went wrong.

DraQ

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
Wasnt talking about graphics in general, just stilted animation that belongs to early PS1 era on a new title.
Animations are barely even affected by technology. The amount of details in them (face anims, etc.) or smoothness (interpolation) is, but other than that there is nothing that would make modern and 10yr old anims distinguishable based on their quality alone.

Azrael the cat said:

Shows just how much having PhD (the irony!) in philosophy is worth.

Most of those people are pretentious pseudointellectual wankers, as exposed by the Sokal hoax.

This guy should be doing some proper menial work if he lacks brain to do something useful, interesting or entertaining.

Pseudofool

Scholar
DraQ said:
This guy should be doing some proper menial work if he lacks brain to do something useful, interesting or entertaining.
There's not enough labor jobs, if that's your standard of intellectual pursuit. Those that get to do exigent scholarship make up less than one percent of all academics.

MasPingon

Arcane
DraQ said:

Most of those people are pretentious pseudointellectual wankers, as exposed by the Sokal hoax.

He is stupid, don't blame philosophers

DraQ

Arcane
MasPingon said:
He is stupid, don't blame philosophers
DraQ said:

Derp.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Do not ask for whom the herp derps, it derps for thee.

denizsi

Arcane
I love Deus Ex. Deus Ex didn't look like shit at its time. Deus Ex didn't play like shit. Action was satisfying in Deus Ex.

Neither can be said for AP from what have seen.

This is a choose your own adventure game, and I've come to expect nothing more.

DraQ

Arcane
denizsi said:
I love Deus Ex. Deus Ex didn't look like shit at its time.
It did. Failure to learn how to utilize the engine's visual side is a failure no matter what said engine is and how well its other capabilities are utilized. UE1 was all about basic BSP environment painted with light and adorned with dynamic fire-y and fluid textures. DX crew utilizied the lighting properly for stealth elements alone, but nothing else.

If an engine capable of doing this and known to have originally done this is used to make this, then Houston, we have a problem.

Deus Ex didn't play like shit.
Still doesn't. It's one of my all time faves.

Felix

Arcane
To be fair, I wasn't interested in Deus Ex just by seeing either, but playing is a different story.

And fucking lol by compare stealth in a game specialize in stealth like Thief to stealth in a game that allow you approach objectives by many different ways like Deus Ex.

DraQ

Arcane
Felix said:
To be fair, I'm not interest in Deus Ex just by seeing either, but playing is a different story.
It's an excellent game, but what a shame it was that no one at Ion Storm cared to learn how to design appealing levels and special effects (ok not all were shit, but bullet impact sparks and electric arcs were just vile - I don't understand how they made them look good in main menu) in UE1.

Black Cat

Magister
@ Felix

"And fucking lol by compare stealth in a game specialize in stealth like Thief to stealth in a game that allow you approach objectives by many different ways like Deus Ex."

But that's precisely it. What's the point of a game where you may approach objectives in many different ways when all the different ways are half assed and can't even come close to the experience of playing a focused game? Oh, look! I can choose between playing a bad stealth mission or a bad action mission, or an even worse mixture of both!

:roll:

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Black Cat said:
But that's precisely it. What's the point of a game where you may approach objectives in many different ways when all the different ways are half assed and can't even come close to the experience of playing a focused game? Oh, look! I can choose between playing a bad stealth mission or a bad action mission, or an even worse mixture of both!

:roll:

sorry. can't be arsed to read all of your posts. but i did read this one and i have to ask...have you played Deus Ex? because it sounds like either you haven't...or you...eh, did it wrong.

Black Cat

Magister
@ TwinkieGorilla

Yes, i played it. The game's easy, simple, and its only asset is mood, if you are into that kind of thing, and the experience, whatever that is. Oh, yes, and dozens of superficial choices that don't change anything at all about the game itself, nor about the level of challenge. First time through, stealth + hacking + Melee, realistic, two or three deaths in the entire game. Good game? What game? A friend of mine did the entire game, pure stealth, no deaths, no kills other than the forced ones, in realistic, in his third try, just to prove my Ex the game was crap and it was time to go back to serious stuff. That's a Codex approved game? A bloody casual game? Yeesh.

In which way did I play it wrong, though? How do you play a game wrong, in any case? You study the mechanics, you learn the system, you exploit what you learnt, you crack it open. That's it, game won. Next in line? Or do you think I should have cared less about, like, playing and more about LARPing being a cyberpunkish superspy that doesn't like to kill and only uses tasers, or something? That's Oblivion roleplaying all over again.

Which of Desu Ex's gameplay element was unique and challenging, uh? There's nothing seriously challenging, no area you need to try dozens of times before cracking it up through a careful use of everything the game has to offer. It's noob shit, as easy and forgiving as they come. But, oh God, it is immersive. That makes it a good game! :3

You are free to show how wrong I am, if you so desire.

Edity Edit: It was fun being a bitch, though. Going through the ventilation ducts, opening an overhead one, throwing a grenade. Metro station goes boom. That guy with the glasses goes baaaaaaaaw over the intercom, good times. But that doesn't a good game makes, and in any case it ends half way through. :roll:

Black Cat

Magister
You are free to demonstrate how the retard with the hissy fit is wrong and your favorite game isn't crap. O, wait, you can't. Carry on, then. :wink:

Heartwarden

Educated
Difficulty determines a good game, now?

Deus Ex wasn't hard, but it strung together the various possibilities bloody well in a way that felt like simple natural progression through the game. It's a smooth ride, providing a bevy of choices to change a few nice little things here and there and, of course, it has a wonderful atmosphere. I don't recall any instance of LARP and depending on your build style, there can be areas where it's a tough crack.

It's not forgiving, so much as it has options. It's certainly too easy to anyone who prefers exploiting mechanics first and foremost to win the game, which is where Deus Ex falters.

I'd go so far as to call it a game where you turn your gaming brain off, not because it's immershun LARP cyberpunk sim but, simply, because it won't compete with gamer-brain games like Thief, or a pure FPS etc. so there's no need to worry about exploiting or making sure you're doing everything to the max.

Not sure what to expect on AP. It's Obsidian, so the reviews are likely to be less shlurp than for Bethesda or Bioware, but there's still the previews to compare to any good words. Gyuh.

denizsi said:
I love Deus Ex. Deus Ex didn't look like shit at its time. Deus Ex didn't play like shit. Action was satisfying in Deus Ex.

Deus Ex was widely and repeatedly called out upon its release as having dated graphics and terrible AI. Other than that, reviewers mostly praised it, i.e. it certainly wasn't a cult gem. But even the developers (well, Spector anyway) admitted the graphics and AI were below the standard at that time.

I think maybe part of what covers the terrible AI in Deus Ex is (aside from great map design) it's actually quite a fun AI for stealthing, partially BECAUSE of how stupid the AI is, combined with how much fun it is to snipe, gas and otherwise grief the hapless bastards.

CrimHead

Scholar
Azrael the cat said:
denizsi said:

Deus Ex was widely and repeatedly called out upon its release as having dated graphics and terrible AI.

It also has ridiculously uninspired art design.

Shannow

Waster of Time
circ said:
I liked it better when retards with hissy fits like Black Cat stayed gone.
icon_ignore.gif

Works for me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom