Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Alpha Protocol Reviewed

roll-a-die

Magister
Guy's isn't this basically what they were saying about dragon age? Dated graphics but replayability and AWERSONE ROWALL PLAYANG. The middle of the line score just means they didn't bribe as well.

DraQ

Arcane
Azrael the cat said:
Deus Ex was widely and repeatedly called out upon its release as having dated graphics and terrible AI. Other than that, reviewers mostly praised it, i.e. it certainly wasn't a cult gem.
CDA gave it 10/10 and fapped all over it and it was when their review scores actually meant something.

But even the developers (well, Spector anyway) admitted the graphics and AI were below the standard at that time.
Ion Storm couldn't into UE1. :smug:

I think maybe part of what covers the terrible AI in Deus Ex is (aside from great map design) it's actually quite a fun AI for stealthing, partially BECAUSE of how stupid the AI is, combined with how much fun it is to snipe, gas and otherwise grief the hapless bastards.
I would find it more rewarding if stealthing was actually hard.
I stealthed Agroprom and military outpost in Cordon in STALKER and this game was far more forgiving in firefights than in stealth.

Black Cat

Magister
@ Heartwarden

"Not sure what to expect on AP. It's Obsidian"

That should be enough for you to know what to expect. :P

"Difficulty determines a good game, now?"

Yes, up to a point it does. For it to be a game it has to challenge and test your skills, otherwise what's the point? Remove the challenge and what's left is masturbation and escapism and delusion, not gaming.

"I don't recall any instance of LARP"

Any choice that doesn't have gameplay consequences can count as LARP. Do you save your brother or do you escape through the window? Do you kill that guy in the plane or do you not? Do you talk with the journalist or do you not? What consequence does any of this have? You end in the same place and situation, just with some extra flavour text, so what's the point of the choice other than to, like, express yourself or express your character just like in Bioware games with their fake choices and six diferent ways of saying okay i'll do it? It is pretty amusing they give you many choices that mean nothing and do nothing other than so called mood, but the choices that would actually change something the game makes for you. :roll:

Other than that, sure, whatever floats your boat. I don't hate Desu Ex. Or, well, I did not hate it until I came here and noticed people who think themselves elitists of gaming were talking of it like it was the best game ever when there's no game at bloody all. But since the same happened with Arcanum, Planescape, and several other games I guess it's just the Codex's power to change a relatively mild individual into a raging taliban. And people should play and win some real games before starting to talk about best game ever and stuff. You know, games where you have to, like, do something to win, and sell your soul to get anything but the worst ending. Meh, bloody casuals everywhere.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Oh, so in other words. You were just trolling.

6/10, move along now ktxbye

It would be nice to see someone actually refuting her points instead of engaging in fanboi denial like "you didn't play it", "you played it wrong", "ignore" and "you're trolling", you know. If it's plain bullshit, it should be easy peasy to prove her wrong

just a thought

Rhalle

Magister
My guess is that AP will be an over-the-top shooter-LARP fest with a decent inventory, and mediocre graphics and mediocre voice acting and mediocre AI and mediocre animations; kids will think its cool and to be taken mostly seriously and like the fact that it's an 'RPG'; older kids will think it's slightly lacking but XXXTREME and funny-- they'll get a real kick out of the guy with two dual-wielded gold-plated mini-shotguns and a thick Russian accent, for instance.

Whether that will carry over and grown-ups will find that it has an eye on them and is a disposable but good-time campy romp with some interesting RPG-style choices, well, I dunno.

It may be just too ridiculous to appeal to them (us), but developers don't care about that demographic anymore, of course.

And the fact that Mass Effect's illusory choices and shooter-ness qualifies as a nonpareil example of the RPG helps AP, and Obsidian, quite a bit.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Clockwork Knight said:
It would be nice to see someone actually refuting her points instead of engaging in fanboi denial like "you didn't play it", "you played it wrong", "ignore" and "you're trolling", you know. If it's plain bullshit, it should be easy peasy to prove her wrong

just a thought

well, tbh "ur doing it wrong" in and of itself was a troll. it just didn't sound like we both played the same game.

*shrugs*

i'm not a huge gamer so if there's another game you can point out i'd love to hear it, but i'd not played a FPS game before or after Deus Ex which had such a multitude of ways to stealthily solve missions and upgrade your character like that...and not feel like a hand-holding piece of juvenile shit. i thought the story was pretty fresh, at least for a video-game at the time it came out.

and for the record...i'm not an elitist. i just hate 99% of every game i've ever played.

fastpunk

Arbiter
I was browsing the Obsidian forums and, apparently, two more reviews have popped up. First one's from a mag called GameStar, and the bottom line goes like this:

+ A spy story that humbles books and movies
+ Frenetic dialogues
+ Innovative dialogue-system
+ An amalgamation of three balanced play styles
+ Choices, choices and choices

- A bit outdated graphics
- Moderately bad animations
- No physics

Score: 87

And the other one's from a Spanish mag, which ends up giving it 8.5 for graphics and sound, 9.1 for gameplay, 9.4 for replay value, and 8.0 for optimization. And the overall score is 8.9. Apparently, they reviewed the PS3 version.

Here are the scans:
http://www.subirimagenes.com/otros-reviewpsop1-4533073.html
http://www.subirimagenes.com/otros-reviewpsop2-4533074.html
http://www.subirimagenes.com/otros-reviewpsop3-4533076.html

A translation from Spanish speaking codexers would be nice. Or at least a general rundown of the review.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Clockwork Knight said:
I just find it weird that people will gladly go into 40 + threads arguing about FO3 / Oblivion / AP / DA, but show little interest in defending games they actually like

Proof we're all fueled by Hate.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
hm... i've seen that hacking game with path selection before in some mmo rpg shooter...

roll-a-die

Magister
fastpunk said:
SNIP
+ Frenetic dialogues
+ Innovative dialogue-system
+ An amalgamation of three balanced play styles
+ Choices, choices and choices

- A bit outdated graphics
- Moderately bad animations
- No physics

Score: 87
SNIP
I will repeat verbatim, "Isn't that what they said about Dragon Age, pre-release?"

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
forgotmypasswordagain said:
ME + James Bond = AP. :P
next plz

Everything we've seen so far suggests far more customization than anything ME has ever had.

I don't get how people can read so much into the AP-information given. There's really been so little that this shit could be anything. Only thing we know is that there's going to be an arms-dealer.

I'm going to "demo" it fo' shizzle and find out myself.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
fastpunk said:

When MCA is involved, this could actually mean something beyond mere hypetalk. I am positively intrigued!

Black Cat

Magister
@ Fastpunk

There you go. There are some parts where i did not know how to translate a given figure of speech and had to improvise, but otherwise is pretty literal and there are no nya to be found, though maybe some stuffies and thingies sliped through. Typos and the like haven't been corrected because I'm a lazy as fuck Neko Nya.

Alpha Protocol
When every choice matters.

After a long series of setbacks and a couple of delays, we were curious to know what was going on with a project as ambitious as Alpha Protocol. Anounced as an action game with all the main elements of an RPG, in principle it sounds very interesting... But in this kind of experiment there's always the risk of not being able to satisfy the fans of either genre. It was a risky bet but we believe they have, and by far, overcomed the challenge.

The (proposal?) made by Alpha Protocol may seem similar to that of other titles, but it is in the way this surprising and maleable adventure takes place where it finds it's own identity. While it will not dazzle us with exeptional graphics nor with impeccable technique, after overcoming the first stages we will be completely trapped in its excelent story, where everything's in our hands and no one is what it seems.

Basicaly, this is an action game with abundant dialogue and puzzle like elements in which the protagonist and the weaponry can be tuned to our tastes. This is nothing new, but it is on the interaction with the other characters where we will discover a game in which every choice changes the way the plot develops and all posterior actions. This is possible thanks to a complex and open story with more than 120 hours of recorded dialogue and more than 30 secondary characters that, depending on our choices, can be enemies, allies, or, why not, just business partners. Lies, missions, suspicions, betrayals... all of them are threads forming a great (skein? Maybe Hank? That thingie) we will have to unravel to stop world war from erupting. And the possibilities are so immense and varied the game has the outrageous amount of 32 diferent endings.

Think fast and act

In Alpha Protocol vital choices must be made each moment and in no more than seconds. While talking to other characters, with whom a good or bad relationship would be developing based on our answers and actions, everything is decided in less than four seconds and affects the rest of the story. Excesive? Possibly, but in such way the plot is maintained in constant tension and total uncertainty. So, for example, it will be in our hands the final choice of detaining, executing, or letting go free a dangerous international criminal... and the just or right thing may be the worst options. In the begining it may be somewhat stressful, but it is an acquired taste and later we will be waiting for those moments to come so we can try to reach a truth that seems buried below a mountain of personal interests and lies.

Inmersed in this confusion, we will raise up to two challenges: To model our character to face the diferent situations and give him the best equipment and equipment we can get. While there aren't (cut and dried classes?) we can go for a gameplay style more action like, if we prefer to resolve problems the commando way, or more technical if we prefer infiltration and espionage. That's the most RPGish element of the game and it can be modified through the game if we choose to use our experience points in several skills and powers. The most advisable approach is to keep to zero the characteristics not corresponding to our style of play.

Action is intense, full of cool moments and, while the enemies aren't really bright, the game has a good dificulty that goes along raising itself intelligently. And while the control setup for the character and the guns initially raised some doubts, the available upgrades for the abilities are effective and in an acceptable level.

What has no excuse is the absence of a multiplayer mode, nor any other netplay option. Given the structure and dimensions of the scenery many diferent things could have been done with this. Surely it was a problem with the release dates.

Edity Edit: Corrected one or two really messed up way too literal moments.

You're not 'creating tension' when you introduce time limits to conversations.

All you're doing is making the player spazz out and probably pick something that doesn't really fit what he wanted.

Which goes along with the 'you don't know what that option will make him say until you use it' problem.

Combined, they're a perfect fail storm of innoVASHUN.

circ

Arcane
BUT BUT THEY WANTED TO HAVE A NATURAL DIALOGUE FLOW MAN

WHEN YOU TALK DO YOU STOP AND THINK WHAT YOURE GOING TO SAY?

DIDNT THINK SO MOTHERFUCKER

OBSIDIAN 4EVA

Phelot

Arcane
Black Cat said:
Yes, up to a point it does. For it to be a game it has to challenge and test your skills, otherwise what's the point? Remove the challenge and what's left is masturbation and escapism and delusion, not gaming.

In that case, I really hope you're willing to admit that nearly every recent game to come out including ME, ME2, DA are all escapism and delusion.

Now, about DE, I wouldn't call it the most challenging game, but it has challenges in what choices you make as well as tension in what you need to do and how much time you have to do it. Infiltrating the Illuminati complex in China was pretty intense, at least for me.

I think it's a mistake to consider a game challenging only if you die a lot. A challenge can also include botching quests, finding out you missed something, finding out you did something the hard way. Puzzles, timed quests, etc.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Genma:TheDestroyer said:
You're not 'creating tension' when you introduce time limits to conversations.

All you're doing is making the player spazz out and probably pick something that doesn't really fit what he wanted.
you fail at both english and utilizing line breaks.
Which goes along with the 'you don't know what that option will make him say until you use it' problem.
that depends entirely on the actual implementation. good reactions to dialogue aren't predictable, but make perfect sense when you have all the informations, just like reality.

there is nothing more boring than a predictable story-driven game.
Combined, they're a perfect fail storm of innoVASHUN.
'cept unpredictability and putting the player under any kind of stress kinda goes against innovashun.

Black Cat

Magister
@ Phelot

"In that case, I really hope you're willing to admit that nearly every recent game to come out including ME, ME2, DA are all escapism and delusion."

Totally escapism and delusion, and more so with Bioware games as you mentioned, that seem to be built around making you feel you are awesome and the center of the entire multiverse, and that the eyes of every individual with power in creation is set upon you, and that the survival of love and friendship and justice and honour and the joy of fluffy, cuddly things everywhere rests solely on your shoulders, without gameplay to support it as everything is retard proof and so easy it hurts. The more time passes the more the pretty funny cat is starting to more and more play only dungeon crawlers and roguelikes and arcade games, as even adventure games are for retards now, because people who wants to, like, enjoy the story and, say, explore a pretty looking world without being sidetracked by evil puzzles. :evil:

"I think it's a mistake to consider a game challenging only if you die a lot. A challenge can also include botching quests, finding out you missed something, finding out you did something the hard way. Puzzles, timed quests, etc."

Totally, sure. But there has to exist the outcome of just failing, either by making the wrong choices and botching the wrong combination of quests so you can't go any further, or because your adventure comes to a halt and moves no further until you solve this puzzle. It doesn't need to kill you, it needs to stop you from advancing any further, or to reaching a good ending, until you raise to the skill level needed to solve that challenge, be it a boss fight or an infiltration segment or a hard puzzle or simply navigating the story in a way that doesn't suck.

A good set of examples of a game presenting challenges that don't kill you but totally screw you over is to be found in Devil Survivor. The game is about tactical battles divided by visual novel segments where you have a limited amount of, like, actions to use to visit places and talk to people, and in those places and with those people you get choices. Mess some of those bad enough in the first two thirds of the game with one particular character and she, as many others may, will die, but, though you may not know it so early without paying a lot of attention, she's really plot relevant, and then when you get to the last part of the game you can't pick any ending other than the worst one, since one of the archdemons you need to fight to have a claim will never appear, as she was the one and only catalyst for its appearance and thus he no longer has any reason to do so. And two of the most awesome endings, Haru's and Gin's, require such a precise navigation of the choice-and-consequence tree that a single mistake can spell doom to your effort and make that ending impossible to reach in that one playthrough.

Those examples aren't battles that you must repeat over and over and over, though the game has its share of that, but are challenging all the same, and are satisfying to think through and pull out. And reaching a perfect ending, that being the ideal ending plus no character deaths along the way, is so bloody hard you need to plan every single action taken in every single visual novel segment in great detail, as you have very little free actions to maneuver around. Again, that's hardcore and doesn't kills you, and is based around the same concept of interactive storytelling as part of the game mechanics we are discussing, but it turns it into part of the challenge and the game instead of just window dressing and LARP.

But it is japanese so it surely sucks.

yaster

Liturgist
Genma:TheDestroyer said:
You're not 'creating tension' when you introduce time limits to conversations. All you're doing is making the player spazz out and probably pick something that doesn't really fit what he wanted.

That was dick move in Indigo Prophecy, indeed. It all came down to random choosing from things you've managed to read. With little or no thought.

But I can see it working just fine in AP. You've 3 stances to choose from, sooner or later you should be familiar what you can expect from each one - I assume it could take from one to few conversation, depending on how well it is all written, consistent and thought out.

ME2 had something similar with paragon/renegade choices. Player faced time limit to make decision just the same. Worked fine if you ask me, even amazing at times, I personally really liked it and thought It adds a lot to the experience. Of course AP is more complex (3>2 duh) so it might be not valid comparison, the answer will come with practise. Time will tell.

Phelot

Arcane
Black Cat said:
But it is japanese so it surely sucks.

Heh.

I must say I can't really get into Japanese games even though I liked PST which is arguably a western version of a jRPG.

Just can't do it with the stupid fucking costumes and characters that all look the same except for hair color and boob size.

But yeah, I can agree that the japs seem to at least TRY new things from time to time with their games, something western developers need to do.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom