Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Alpha Protocol Reviewed

Black Cat

Magister
@ Phelot

Sure. I did not meant only shooting and dodging was gameplay. Any kind of challenge to be overcome inside a given set of rules is gameplay: A hard puzzle, a strategic battle, navigating a story where you have to weight carefully your actions. But there has to be dificulty in those proceedings and gameplay, otherwise it's a toy and not a game.

In planescape the point was to uncover the mystery, but there wasn't really any dificulty in doing so. I doubt anyone here even died a final death without fooling around and doing so intentionally. If in a game you can't die, you can't lose, you can't screw up so bad you can't keep moving forward, and the story can't really come to a halt because you can't figure out a situation or puzzle where is the challenge? Where, if there is no challenge, is the gameplay? There isn't any. It's you doing the click click dance to move the story forward, and that's it. That's no game. :?

Now keep Torment's story but add one or two dozen bad endings where you can get by messing out during dialogues and choices, hours or days of gameplay before the bad ending path even starts to appear and you discover you are screwed, and you have a story that's the gameplay, and you can lose the game. If you can't fail nor win, because your victory is already set from the start, there is no game.

Even Visual Novels have more game than that since you can screw up in so many ways it is not even funny. Geez, i spent two days reading this bloody thing and all I got is this horribly depressing ending where everyone dies and nothings comes to a conclussion because I messed up, and i don't even know where i messed up. That's required for there to be gameplay. Otherwise it is just you playing around with your toys.

Vibalist

Arcane
Black Cat said:
@ Vibalist

"We'll defend it as soon as someone brings up points about Deus Ex that are worth discussing. Black Cat is more or less a dumbfuck who doesn't understand anything"

I don't understand your Moe, right? Sure, I never heard that one before. :roll:

Oh, wait, i see. I don't get Deus Ex. It's my fault I can't see that bloody piece of casual gaming for kids as the landmark it is, a game that gave us the choice of picking between really bad first person shooter mechanics and really bad stealth mechanics, or a mixture of both really bad game systems! Not to forget the dozens of choices lacking in any kind of true gameplay consequence offered us. Awesome! All the power of choices without the load of consequences coming to crash your party and send you all scrambling for a restart!

I have been so wrong, o lord.

Don't try to pull an invalid criticism on me, guy. Do you want the bullet points? Right.

1. Choices do not have gameplay consequences.
2. Game is retard easy, there is no challenge.
3. There is no true punishment for being a bad player.
4. There is no true reward for being the stuff of legends.
5. Stealth gameplay is stupid beyond measure thanks to awful enemy AI and level design not focused on stealth challenges.
6. Actiony gameplay is stupid beyond measure thanks to it having to be kept soft for non combat characters and mixed builds.

Example: You go back to hell's kitchen to meet with an informant in the ruins. Halfway through a great number of soldiers, with some mechs, attack your position. Solution? Charge them with the sword and all your augs active, dood. Maybe use a Thermo Camo thing to get the drop on the mechs, kill each in one hit, then proceed to slaughter the soldiers by means of aligning yourself with the soldier mass, press forward, and click click click, since they can't see you and, if they do, they can't really damage you. GG, you win. In realistic. :roll:

Example: You escape from your brother's room or kill your way through. Then you reach battery park and Anna is here, waiting for you. Combat vest + Anti Bullet Skin + Shotgun, and note my skill at rifles was untrained. GG, you win. In realistic. :roll: The game's so bloody easy they have to drop a plot command on you to stop your rampage.

7. Some advantages and solutions, like those from hacking and lockpicking, require no skill at all. You are never short on them, so there's no weighting the potential advantage against the potential loss, nor do you have to be a good player to exploit them. GG, you win.
8. Combat has no depth. There are no tactics, there are no better weapons to diferent situations, other than the presence of a Mech leading to kaboom.
9. Prod + Crossbow. Then, evil magic sword + Crossbow. Do you hear that? Is the sound of GG, you win. :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You're doing great honey, keep it up.

Phelot

Arcane
Black Cat said:
@ Phelot

Sure. I did not meant only shooting and dodging was gameplay. Any kind of challenge to be overcome inside a given set of rules is gameplay: A hard puzzle, a strategic battle, navigating a story where you have to weight carefully your actions. But there has to be dificulty in those proceedings and gameplay, otherwise it's a toy and not a game.

Then I simply disagree. WHat is the point of a challenge? Yes, it is to feel satisfaction for overcoming it, but isn't it also to see what else lies ahead? I'm reminded of old NES games were the challenge was fun, yes, but the real excitement came from finally getting to the next stage, which of course looks awesome.

In planescape the point was to uncover the mystery, but there wasn't really any dificulty in doing so. I doubt anyone here even died a final death without fooling around and doing so intentionally. If in a game you can't die, you can't lose, you can't screw up so bad you can't keep moving forward, and the story can't really come to a halt because you can't figure out a situation or puzzle where is the challenge? Where, if there is no challenge, is the gameplay? There isn't any. It's you doing the click click dance to move the story forward, and that's it. That's no game. :?

But you CAN come to a halt as far as uncovering the story and you CAN miss a lot of stuff on each play through. I agree, a challenge is fun, but so is the experience. You know what my favorite parts of Space Quest 4 are? It's not the puzzles, it was the humor, the story. I progressed to see more, not to get more kewl puzzles.

It is true that a challenge helps the experience become even more worth it and again, the satisfaction of finally defeating a tough opponent is golden.

Now keep Torment's story but add one or two dozen bad endings where you can get by messing out during dialogues and choices, hours or days of gameplay before the bad ending path even starts to appear and you discover you are screwed, and you have a story that's the gameplay, and you can lose the game. If you can't fail nor win, because your victory is already set from the start, there is no game.

While you can always fight and defeat the end boss, you can also mistakenly choose one of the lesser endings such as using the blade of the immortal (is that the name? It's been so long...) so yeah you can fuck up or at the very least not experience certain things.

korenzel

Educated
Black Cat said:
@ Korenzel

"Oh wait, I do... But I thought this here was the RPGcodex, is it not ?"

The place that was supposed to be inhabited by hardcore gamers with interest in challenge even while this age was about making game easier and easier, but turns out half the locals are bloody casuals interested in LARP and picking dialogue lines? :roll:
Interest in challenge ? Bullshit ! Was Fallout difficult ? No it wasn't. Was Bloodlines challenging ? Not in the least. Did Arcanum require perfect meta knowledge of the whole game to complete and get the good ending ? Not at all. Are these among the favorites of the most prominent members of the Codex Hivemind ? I'll let you find out on your own, you probably know the answer. Damned casuals have infiltrated even the highest spheres ! :evil:

Black Cat said:
Oh, and... So you can play without your lack of skill in a certain gameplay element being challenged? Again, what's the point then? And again, none of you has answered the basic point of this: If all the gameplay elements are half assed and all the diferent challenges are retard friendly and easy as pie, what's the point of having the power to choose between one or the other? Answer that, then we are game again.
I didn't find the stealth in Deus Ex worse than in Thief, no thanks to the AI in both games. Black Jack/Stun Rod everyone, and win. The shooting was decent but enjoyable as well. I liked the relatively open level design with multiple entry points to each place you need to go to. If a situation was more easily handled with violence, or you just couldn't be bothered with stealth anymore, you could go this way. Better yet, if you find a gameplay element lacking, you can just skip it and do something you actually like, without having to swap CDs. Innovation !

Black Cat said:
:facepaw: No, they aren't. They are combat based dungeon crawlers, the entire point of the game is in planning. Sure, if you don't have a balanced main party supported by a collection of demons designed to exploit diferent vulnerabilities or milk the enemy for press turns, for example, sure, it can be kind of harsh. That's the point. It isn't you playing dolls in a dungeon. It is you facing challenges designed to brutally slaughter you, and overcoming those challenges by getting better at the game. Oh, the innovation! :shock:
Planning is fine when you can have a rough idea what to expect. Do you have any idea what you'll be facing in a SMT dungeon until you actually do it and die countless times finding out what the opposition consists of ? Nope. If you could scout the dungeons and prepare beforehand, then it'd be fun. It was just annoying to make it to a boss and find out you actually needed a summon otherwise useless to even stand a chance. Then you find out your picked the wrong answer in the first few dialogues and you'd better just start over. Oh the fun of hours wasted.

Black Cat said:
I kept picking the Law options in dialogue and events and now the neutrals and the infernals hate me! How could this happen? T'is so unfair! :roll:

In those games you, wait for it, game the choices. The choices are, see? Part of the gameplay. You screw the choice? You screw your game. If the game doesn't scare you and make you be real careful every time a dialogue tree appears it's casual shit, period.
Of course, because all "choices" in SMT have clearly foreseeable consequences... Then why do people screw them up, you included ? Can't you see what option A or B will lead to ? For there to be a choice there need to be pros and cons to each option. In typical SMT fashion, you have one option which has only pros and the rest which have only cons, but you don't know which is which. These are not choices, these are guesses. I could flip a coin 100 times and ask you to choose Heads or Tails 100 times. If you get at least one wrong I'll punch you in the stomach after you've told your 100 answers and demand you try again. Same game. Very enjoyable, to be sure.

Interest in challenge ? Bullshit ! Was Fallout difficult ? No it wasn't. Was Bloodlines challenging ? Not in the least. Did Arcanum require perfect meta knowledge of the whole game to complete and get the good ending ? Not at all. Are these among the favorites of the most prominent members of the Codex Hivemind ? I'll let you find out on your own, you probably know the answer. Damned casuals have infiltrated even the highest spheres !

Though I get what you mean, it funny to say the codex loves easy peasy games and then complain about casuals

Vibalist

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
Interest in challenge ? Bullshit ! Was Fallout difficult ? No it wasn't. Was Bloodlines challenging ? Not in the least. Did Arcanum require perfect meta knowledge of the whole game to complete and get the good ending ? Not at all. Are these among the favorites of the most prominent members of the Codex Hivemind ? I'll let you find out on your own, you probably know the answer. Damned casuals have infiltrated even the highest spheres !

Though I get what you mean, it funny to say the codex loves easy peasy games and then complain about casuals

maybe the codex is not as edgy as it thinks it is.

though i have to say that Black Cat has crossed the line from edgy into straight up retarded.

games are no longer about having fun, they are only about challenge!!!! grrrrrrr!

Black Cat

Magister
@ Phelot

"WHat is the point of a challenge? Yes, it is to feel satisfaction for overcoming it, but isn't it also to see what else lies ahead? I'm reminded of old NES games were the challenge was fun, yes, but the real excitement came from finally getting to the next stage, which of course looks awesome."

Not really. The objective is the dificult gameplay itself. Having another pretty looking stage is just a side reward. Why do you think so many action games have an arcade mode were all the story and character stuff, and even the ending, is removed so you can focus on the pew pew? The focus is on the gameplay, the rest are just additions to round the package. Sure, it's cool to have them but you could remove them completely and still be amazed at how cool the stuff is.

The next level looks awesome because you had to sweat blood and cry tears of overpowering frustration just to see it, otherwise all those games where the next level was only a diferent pattern of the very same platforms and walls every other stage used would have had no one playing them. And if you had just, like, waltzed to it without the least trouble it would be crap. It is the dificulty and the challenge that gives meaning to reaching a new level, just like reaching a new and recognized skill level in a sport you like or in playing an instrument or in a martial art you practice has no meaning in and out of itself, but only as a reward for your skill and effort and the totally awesome awesomeness of your harcore and untamed soul, etc. The story, the ending, the next plot based revelation isn't the purpose of the game but an extra something to give more pomp to you have reached the next skill level, yay.

But when you win Deus Ex and see all those pretentious little endings, what have you got? Do you feel amazing because you have reached a level of strategical planning, skill, or puzzle solving unmatched by the unwashed masses? No, every other retard out there has seen it, and it didn't even need a walkthrough to see it. Seeing that ending has no value, it's common. Reaching it has no value, because every retard and her mom and her dog have the skill to do so. It's a casual game, designed so casual players can play it. You know it, i know it, they know it. Value depends on scarcity, and just as when you are nice to everyone being nice has no value at all when a challenge can be surpassed by everyone there's no meaning in surpassing it. You aren't going to get called the Black Cat in part because of your amazing reflexes and reaction times if you train with Deus Ex. T_T

Role Playing Games should give us the tactical and turn based version of this kind of tense and ridiculous fight were the least mistake can mean you die and must start over instead of the metaphysical vagueries of fantasy land and questions about what can change the nature of a zombie and his flying skull. Something like this, where you have no chance to win other than by understanding the gameplay to perfection and having a carefully built party, or getting a walkthrough as weaklings do. :3

"While you can always fight and defeat the end boss, you can also mistakenly choose one of the lesser endings such as using the blade of the immortal (is that the name? It's been so long...) so yeah you can fuck up or at the very least not experience certain things."

But using the Blade isn't really lossing, since you can't have it forced upon yourself if your skill isn't up to the challenge set up by the game, it is an optional less than ideal ending. You are never going to find yourself in a situation where, like, someone else gets the blade and where the choices you made make it impossible to escape or survive that encounter no matter what you want as long as you aren't bloody amazing with the combat system and can't survive an almost impossible battle because you know each option as if you had designed the game.

And not experiencing everything isn't losing if you see the game as a game and not a bloody book. As in, you are not seeing a big game over, you suck, haha, loser, try again after training those skills for a bunch of months. Or years, maybe. You just missed something and, really, no one cared. It's the roleplaying equivalent of missing the extra life because you did not have the item ot breach the wall, and the extra life at least would have an use.

But i think we both made our viewpoints clear by now.

@ Korenzel

"nterest in challenge ? Bullshit !"

So the false hardcore pretentions of The Codex have finally come to light?

"Damned casuals have infiltrated even the highest spheres !"

Indeed, that's why the good fight must be fought, to reveal the sin of LARPers and unskilled wretches wherever they may lurk and purge them by fire and Nya.

"I didn't find the stealth in Deus Ex worse than in Thief"

:roll: So now you are trolling yourself?

"Planning is fine when you can have a rough idea what to expect. Do you have any idea what you'll be facing in a SMT dungeon until you actually do it and die countless times finding out what the opposition consists of ?"

Oh, baw baw, you actually got killed! How terrible! You know, when it is the pretty cat telling you to stop being a pansy there's something wrong with you. Hint: You are not the character. The character dies, you go at it again with the knowledge gained. That's part of the gameplay, or do you think you have a chance in hell of clearing Mushihimesama Futari without trying a thousand times until you get it just right?

Why should role playing games be any diferent? Play some roguelikes, or play some of those combat heavy old dungeon crawlers that balanced it out against Saving and Loading by throwing really hardcore encounters at you.

Bloody casuals, meh. :3

"Of course, because all "choices" in SMT have clearly foreseeable consequences... Then why do people screw them up, you included ?"

There's a diference between foreasable consequences and having knowledge of everything that will happen in the future. Sure, you know this answer is the Law one and that this answer is the Chaos one, or that going to meet up with Gin instead of attending Mari's fight with her Nemesis will have repercusions in the storyline, but you do not know what those choice's long term repercusions are. Why should you?

"These are not choices, these are guesses. "

Uhm, no. You are picking to side with Law or to side with Chaos, for example, or to do this thing instead of trying to get close to Amane or instead of saving Mari. It's not a guess that in one case you are going Law, and that in other case Mari's going to die a horrible death. It may be a guess that, four chapters later, this may have an effect on the plot, but that's the nature of choices, just as you don't really know if picking this skill over this other skill will break your build or break the game until you have done so. Oh, snap! Character building is guessing! :shock:

@ Felix

Not really, i'm just having fun and passing time while watching videos in youtube and waiting for my boyfriend. I just get all passionate when discussing anything at all, from cooking recipes to dead tongues, that doesn't mean i'm angry or anything.

@ Vibalist

"games are no longer about having fun, they are only about challenge!!!! grrrrrrr!"

So now The Codex is about mindless fun? :3

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Role playing games suck as tactical games. Combat system is usually ridiculous and often includes ridiculous "tactics" such as potion spamming.
That's what wargames are for. They have sensible tactics and sensible combat system and can be played against another player.

Tycn

Savant
KalosKagathos said:
Tycn said:
JRPGs do not have text, or choices, or good writing, and rarely combat with actual movement.
Hey, it's your fault if you only play shitty JRPGs. Meanwhile, I'll be pondering whether I should join forces with fascist angels, darwinist demons or assrape both while I rain status effect inducing bullets upon my enemies in fun blob combat of SMT that puts M&M and Wizardry to shame. :smug:
Now if only that was the rule and not the exception. Plus if SMT is your example Torment is exempt for lack of a teenage protagonist. And the point about writing still stands.

black cat said:
And for combat with actual movement you should check your sources. Any tactical and strategic JRPG thing? Like, Devil Survivor. That we mentioned like half a dozen times already. Also, dood.
I'm familiar with 'tactical' and 'strategic' JRPGs. They're even less likely to have choices and good writing, let alone tactics or strategy as Awor mentioned.

Perfect Fool

Scholar
@ Black Cat

Taking your argument it to it's logical conclusion then all turn-based single-player computer games eventually offer no more challenge than Deus Ex and are all thus pointless larping exercises.

If you take SMT for example, once you have assembled the perfect party to face your opponent then it is a reasonably trivial matter to defeat whomever that opponent may be.
If you compare this to a game of chess against a skilled human opponent then by your criteria SMT fails as a game.
The 'tactics' in SMT (like most turn based single player games) basically boil down to a combination of luck and trial and error which are a poor substitute for the skill, talent and creativity that are necessary to defeat a human player.

Personally, my main criteria for deciding if a game is good or not is how much I enjoy playing it. Some games I enjoy because they do offer a challenge (most recently Ninja Gaiden) others because I enjoy the writing or the sense of exploring an alien environment. Not all good computer games are necessarily challenging, just as not all challenging computer games are necessarily good.

Black Cat

Magister
@ Perfect Fool

That's a good point, actually.

All games stop being challenging after a while, and that's why we stop playing them and move to things that still offer us a challenge and chances of getting better. First time you defeat the challenge a given game represents, as long as it was a true challenge, you feel great. Defeat it a couple more times and you are not having fun nor challenging you any longer: You are not getting better, you are not cracking open the system and feasting on its entrails. You are just wasting time. So you move to other games, and maybe to an entire new genre or, like, tier inside your genre just because the other things are so bloody easy you no longer enjoy them. And every one you break makes the next one easier, too, so you need to be constantly looking for new challenges to appear.

To use the usual Codex suspects sure, first time you are playing Fallout you may feel challenged if you are really new to all this stuff. Then you discover the exploits and the patterns, and you crack the game open relatively easy since there's really not a lot of complexity beneath it all. If you keep playing after that you are just LARPing being the Vault Dweller, there's no longer a game behind that activity. There's nothing bad about it if you want to LARP being the Vault Dweller, we all have our sins and stuffies, but do not call it Hardcore Gaming, particularly when compared to games that require your blood, sweat, butt, and soul before you can win. There's a reason why most gamers that are also into Interactive Novels or Visual Novels use the verb Read instead of Play to refer to them.

On the chess versus turn based games, yes and no. Yes because you are right, a chess simulator is nothing like but a training aid for the real thing and a computer strategy game is nothing like facing a live opponent. But no because single player turn based computer games aren't really about tactics or strategy but about solving a puzzle of varying complexity, so to continue your example it would be closer to solving a chess problem of varying dificulty and complexity than playing a chess game against a live opponent. It's problem solving, not true warmongering and not even close to it. You have this, the enemy has this, and he will do this or that following its programing. Now find the solution, and once you did it that's it. There's no more game, you solved it and it no longer is a challenge, just as a solved riddle stops being a riddle. It has no point.

That's why i use action games as examples, too. The problem of single player games are easy to point as those things look brutal at first but once you have trained and refined the needed skills and studied the patterns it becomes really easy. Then you must go look for another thing, since that challenge is no more and the game turns boring and stale. When you keep playing the game once it went that way you are no longer playing the game, you are playing in your head with the mood and the ambience and the fantasy of being there. That's no gaming, much less hardcore gaming.

But I actually liked your points and your style, you are cool even if we are in opposite sides of the fence. :3

@ Tycn

"Now if only that was the rule and not the exception. Plus if SMT is your example Torment is exempt for lack of a teenage protagonist. And the point about writing still stands."

Strange Journey has a total of, let me check, yes, that's right, none adolescent characters, duh. And the point about writing is moot when all that writing and all those choices in Torment amount to a total of things, outside flavour text, equal to Strange Journey's amount of adolescent characters.

"I'm familiar with 'tactical' and 'strategic' JRPGs. They're even less likely to have choices and good writing, let alone tactics or strategy as Awor mentioned."

Torment had a total of, say, how many choices that affected gameplay were there? That's what I thought. Will your choices offer you diferent paths with diferent battles requiring diferent strategies? Will your story choices change the way you play and the tools you have at your disposal to face those challenges? Nope. In most 'tactical' and 'strategic' JRPGs, they do. It's not my fault Codex seems to think better written Bioware choices are true choices, but choices that put an entire third of the game skills and powers outside your reach and give you and entirely diferent set of challenges and battles to overcome aren't. Duh. It begins with L and ends with ARP. What is it? :3

And as I said many times before there are romantic interactive novels for girls with more choices and consequences than Torment. So the gameplay is fail, the so called choices and consequences are worse than romantic interactive novels for girls, geez. What's the point of Torment again? With all this going against it the least i hope is for it to help you reach Buddahood or something, otherwise = fail.

Also, writing? I'm playing a game, not reading a book. :3

That one was a cheap shot, sorry. :(

@ Awor Szurkrarz

"Role playing games suck as tactical games."
"That's what wargames are for."

Where did i left my scroll of Mondblutian Hardcore Fist of Enlightened Judgement? :(

circ

Arcane
Black Cat said:
Torment had a total of, say, how many choices that affected gameplay were there? That's what I thought. Will your choices offer you diferent paths with diferent battles requiring diferent strategies? Will your story choices change the way you play and the tools you have at your disposal to face those challenges? Nope. In most 'tactical' and 'strategic' JRPGs, they do. It's not my fault Codex seems to think better written Bioware choices are true choices, but choices that put an entire third of the game skills and powers outside your reach and give you and entirely diferent set of challenges and battles to overcome aren't. Duh. It begins with L and ends with ARP. What is it? :3
JRPG's have C&C? Really? And not just do I wear this Crystal Armor or do I wear this Silver Armor? Did you just get your retard licence and started spewing this total poppycock out of your ass? Where in Chrono Trigger is there any C&C, other than, do I rescue Chrono or do I go for Lavos without him. Or do I go for Lavos straight at the fair or later. FF3, do I wait for Shadow or not. FF4, nothing that I can remember. FF5, nothing. FF6, nothing. FF7, nothing. Tales of Phantasia, nothing. Seiken Densetsu 3, you got to pick your starting party which determined kind of, how the story played out. Star Ocean, nothing that I can remember. I quit playing JRPG's after FF7, but I don't recall them being ever anything else than, click MORE for more text. A more tactical JRPG: Shining Force - nothing. Where are you getting these delusions? Not to defend shit from BioWare, but flavor text and dialogue are a little different than the NOTHING in most JRPG's.

Black Cat

Magister
First, notice the tactical and strategical before JRPG. We are not talking Chrono Trigger here, dood. Second i already gave examples of not only tactical JRPGs but also dating sims and visual novels with more meaningful choice and consequence than Torment and Deus Ex. :roll:

Also, pay attention, we are not talking only about Choice and Consequence as storyfaggotry but as diferent paths, changes in gameplay, diferent skillsets, completely diferent sets of boss fights and completely diferent sets of recruitable troops. Simply put, we are talking about Choices and Consequences that change gameplay in meaningful ways. Torment did not have any I remember, all it's so called Choice and Consequence being limited to storyfaggotry and small things. Deus Ex has nothing beyond a diferent reward, an extra pack of amunition, or the chance to save yourself one easy battle. All minor stuff, mechanically identical to Bioware RPGs in all but quality of the writing and the level of detail.

Meanwhile, many Shin Megami Tensei games have those elements we mentioned. Factions that change the skills and demons you get in big ways, and the usefulness of the ones you got before? Choices that affect gameplay? Diferent paths based on your choices? Yes. Shin Megami Tensei the first, a dungeon crawler released for the SNES in 1992, already had more meaningful (as in having gameplay effects) choices that Torment does. Geez, and there are N1 games with more Choice and Consequence than Deus Ex. :roll: Not to mention in Strange Journey, for example, your alignment is dependant in dialogue choices, yes, but your alignment combined to the alignment of your demons can make a hard fight easy or an easy fight hard as fuck, turn your party of powerful demons into a party of noobs when you lose the skill to summon the opposite ones, make it harder to get certain components and demons for fusion or sources, etc. In Torment, to what did the alignment change amount to? Oh, yes. L...A...R...P! :3

Also, diplomatic solutions to all encounters but bosses based on your INT score, your skillset, and your dialogue choices. :3 :cheatingbitch:

Most of the ancient blob games had the ability to negotiate rather than fight enemies. Whether this was a bribe, or attempting to bluff your way out of combat.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Black Cat said:
@ Awor Szurkrarz

"Role playing games suck as tactical games."
"That's what wargames are for."

Where did i left my scroll of Mondblutian Hardcore Fist of Enlightened Judgement? :(
So, show me a great tactical cRPG that beats multiplayer Close Combat at tactical gameplay.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
herostratus said:
What about those previews indicated it was shit?

If you talk about Bethesda/Bioware-game previews, then they are a rare breed.

herostratus said:
And don't you think there's a middle ground between "you can't judge it out of only the previews" and "you can't judge it until you have played it for 100 hours?"

Of course. I merely condensed the back-tracking that happened. First you were not allowed to judge the game based on the screenshots and information developers gave it, then you weren't allowed to do the same based on previews, after that you were reading too much into reviews, especially as you had not played the game for 100 hours, until finally fixating into the "it's good for what it is, especially with mods" line.

It's exactly what has happened to Bethesda and if you take out the mods, it fits well with Bioware as well.

KalosKagathos

Learned
Tycn said:
Now if only that was the rule and not the exception.
Fantastic logic. Western RPGs suck because outside of a few exceptions like Fallout they are shitty Diablo clones, Bethesda quicksandboxes or BioWare dating sims.
And the point about writing still stands.
Sure. Writing in most JRPGs is just as shitty as in most WRPGs.

Blackadder said:
Most of the ancient blob games had the ability to negotiate rather than fight enemies. Whether this was a bribe, or attempting to bluff your way out of combat.
You mean something like this?
smts.jpg

Even some of the recent SMT games keep this feature. When was the last time you saw a WRPG offer you a chance to engage in the noble art of rat diplomacy?

MetalCraze

Arcane
Grunker said:
So, now we trust reviewers?
Only if they suck the cock of the overhyped mainstream console game well enough. Had they however bashed AP for being a shitty clone of Mass Effect which it is you would've heard arguments like "reviewer is dumb lolololo"

korenzel said:
They weren't shitty popamole corridor shooters like AP though and way way more complex. Not mentioning that in Fallout clicking on dialogue options had more effect than showing you a different cutscene - remember no matter what you choose in AP you can never fail as per Avellone himself, whereas careless choices often meant having the guy blowing a big hole in your forehead which will never happen in the modern "RPG" so many retards fap to.

DraQ said:
Save for roguelikes and MP PvP, challenge is dead ever since saves were introduced.
Since saves were introduced in the middle of the combat encounters you mean.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
So, "it's good for what it is" crowd is now defending games even before playing them?

MetalCraze

Arcane
SuicideBunny said:
not at all different from attacking a game before playing it.
Because hour+ of gameplay videos is all lies. There's not enough information in those 30 previews! Each of which shows again and again that AP is no good and yet another popamole shooter with digits.

The game is gun b awsum I just know it

denizsi

Arcane
Well, there's this Saudi Weapons Dealer...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom