Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anno 1800

Gerrard

Arcane
https://anno-union.com/season-4-is-coming-in-2022/

• Season 4 will once again consist of three new DLCs, which will arrive throughout 2022
  • Following Season 3’s focus on further fleshing out the Old World, we will now turn our eyes to the New World
  • As such, we won’t be adding an all-new session to the game
  • We are, however, aware of the building space issues in the New World and have kept that in mind for our plans for Season 4
  • Following today’s announcement of scenarios making their return to Anno 1800, we plan to ship at least one new scenario with each Season 4 DLC
  • As always, each DLC will be accompanied by a free Game Update that will improve the game for all our players

The incline continues.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Scenarios are like the only meaningful way to play Anno, I have no idea how so many people can stand sandbox over and over again. A friend of mine is a huge Anno fan and plays sandbox, but even he gets bored with the nature of sandbox because the order you do things in never changes, so there's not a whole lot of variation between playthroughs.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Scenarios are like the only meaningful way to play Anno, I have no idea how so many people can stand sandbox over and over again.

I've been active on various Anno forums for a good 10 years now and banging the same drum. You'd be surprised how a small minority we are. Most Anno fans are sandbox-fags. After 1800 release I've even asked the devs what's the deal with missing scenarios in 2205 and 1800 and I've been told they've done their research and scenarios aren't very popular so they didn't bother with them. Apparently too much work for a too little benefit.

They also said tho if 1800 remained popular they'd consider adding scenarios down the road, which now finally happened. I figure Ubi wanted to squeeze the game to the last drop with DLCs and BlueByte probably ran out of ideas with cosmetic and thematic BS so their last resort was to dust off scenarios.

Mazisky

Magister
Scenarios are like the only meaningful way to play Anno, I have no idea how so many people can stand sandbox over and over again.

I've been active on various Anno forums for a good 10 years now and banging the same drum. You'd be surprised how a small minority we are. Most Anno fans are sandbox-fags. After 1800 release I've even asked the devs what's the deal with missing scenarios in 2205 and 1800 and I've been told they've done their research and scenarios aren't very popular so they didn't bother with them. Apparently too much work for a too little benefit.

They also said tho if 1800 remained popular they'd consider adding scenarios down the road, which now finally happened. I figure Ubi wanted to squeeze the game to the last drop with DLCs and BlueByte probably ran out of ideas with cosmetic and thematic BS so their last resort was to dust off scenarios.

It is clear they scraping the bottom of the barrel and milking as much as possible before moving to the next Anno. However, 1800 has still the privilege of being one of the best triple A strategy game out there.

vota DC

Augur
Hitler upgraded Germany with electricity. Every factory had double production but.....that also required double production from farms! Hitler lacked space to build those and lacked even Islands to do a trade route so he had no choice to invade other countries and he used different sources to make his precious soap.

v1c70r14

Educated
Is there a game like this not made by Ubisoft and without Denuvo? Building an 1800's city is kinda a dream game for me but the Anno games are a bit autistic with the focus on resource extraction instead of real city-planning and it's trapped under a terrible DRM and publisher. My ideal video game is sort of SimCity 2000 but with high fidelity graphics set in the 1700's to the 1800's. Unless someone has a better recommendation I might have to bite the bullet and get this when it is on sale next.

J1M

Arcane
Is there a game like this not made by Ubisoft and without Denuvo? Building an 1800's city is kinda a dream game for me but the Anno games are a bit autistic with the focus on resource extraction instead of real city-planning and it's trapped under a terrible DRM and publisher. My ideal video game is sort of SimCity 2000 but with high fidelity graphics set in the 1700's to the 1800's. Unless someone has a better recommendation I might have to bite the bullet and get this when it is on sale next.
Anno 1404
Also sold as Dawn of Discovery

v1rus

Arcane
what is dis

i came for pretty gfx, to turn my brain off after work

why am I balancing 53 different resources across five different maps

why are those motherfucking engineers fucking unhappy now and how can i get them all that fucking coffee with all those fucking pirates romaing around

there is no way in hell I'm going to get ANY fucking electricity through that clusterfuck I call city

why cant I stop playing

Last edited:

v1rus

Arcane
On a more serious note - if it wasnt obvious from the previous post, this is my first Anno game. Actually, I havent played a single city builder/city builder adjacent game in my entire life - if we exclude playing that amusement park tycoon game, which I played when I was 11.

I read lots of comments that it was streamlined and dumbed down from previous installments - and now I'm fucking scared of previous installments because this one has so many fucking moving parts. Perhaps the DLCs bought up some much needed crunch, but it can really get crazy. Dont get me wrong, I'm loving it.

The game has its faults. It has some modern politics thrown in for good measure, but nothing too jarring (at least when compared to the rest, lol) and its not like I'm here to actually care about the plot. The pixel hunt quests are just lol, there is either no ingame tutorial explaining the most basic mechanis, or I turned it off because I'm a moron (or its the advanced difficulty). Diplomacy is stupid. But most prominently, WHY IS THERE NO ACTIVE PAUSE IN THIS? Seriously, seems just like a pathetic attempt to add difficulty where it shouldnt be. I need to get coffee there, rum here, load up some skins... Oh, that motherfucking pirate is at it again. Ok, lemme sort him out. Now where was I? Coffee was here, schnaps here, or was it rum? Wait, my ship is in harbor, I need to unload items before I continue. Now, where was I? Oh, there's a fire.

Still, the game is fascinating. For an Ubisoft mainstream, pricey, mass appeal game, it has daunting amounts of complexity. Dont get me wrong, some of it undoubtably comes from my total unfamiliarity with the genre, but its still so lovely, and intriguing. Ill prolly have to quit it soon - not only does it make me more fucking tired after the work, I cant get over the fact that I messed up my islands so fucking badly, because I had literally zero idea about how the game works. Still, such a pleasant surprise. Ill be sure to check 1400 and 2070 soon enough, because those two seem to be fanbase favorites. Think Ill go with Tropico 6 for now - another series I have zero knowledge of, and another installment thats been apparently dumbed down beyond recognition. Time to find out was it dumbed down enough for me.

Gerrard

Arcane
there is either no ingame tutorial explaining the most basic mechanis, or I turned it off because I'm a moron (or its the advanced difficulty)
There is a handholding tutorial if you play the campaign, if you jumped straight into a custom game I think there are only general tips.

Gerrard

Arcane

The news post in the launcher says 3,5 million, not sure why they omitted that here, either way I think it's a pretty good result for a game that was fairly niche to start with.
Also, they will most likely announce a new game next year.

mondblut

Arcane
Anno 1
An Anno game set during the early Roman Empire would be neat.

We have an Anno game set during the early Roman Empire at home. It's called "Caesar".

I wouldn't mind Anno 504, tho'. Collect enough sticks and stones to built a mud hud, so when the next tribe wanders in from the east and overruns yours, you can take over as them.

Then again, prolly a wrong choice of genre for the period. A city-building game? What's a 'city' and what does it mean, 'to build'?

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Anno 1
An Anno game set during the early Roman Empire would be neat.
Anno games have a tradition of the numbers adding up to 9.

A city-building game? What's a 'city' and what does it mean, 'to build'?
Bruh, cities are several thousand year sold, older than writing, older than the wheel. Maybe older than the blue eyes + blond hair combo.
Anyways, Anno is a game about production chains, more so than city building. And production chains definitely fit better in at least a post middle ages period.
Though I guess you can make it work with the Mediterranean trade, copper and tin, olive oils and wine, and so on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom