Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Another Oblivion fan interview

Twinfalls

Erudite
LlamaGod said:
Why the hell does Bethesda keep making NPCs that do every single specific thing for you? Whats the point of specializing in that area if the NPCs can do it just as good, except for omg gold cost, because you know gold is so hard to find.

They had NPCs that raise your skills to maximum, make you spells and magical equipment and now they got NPCs to recharge the equipment too. Why not actually have them as abilities for people to do if they want to persue that instead of just having NPCs to do everything for you?

Indeed - this was especially the case with Morrowind. However, it seems that they've cottoned onto how dumb this 'U ken buy everything' mentality is, to some extent anyway. That interview explains there's no more paying some dufus some cash for supa enchantments. This time, you have to do it yourself, and only if you make it to a high ranking Mage.

Whether 'making it to a high ranking mage' this time will be easy and dumb, like Morrowind, or actually challenging, time consuming and interesting, remains to be seen...

And - there are other ominous signs of keeping it dumb - 'sigil stones' which will POWA UP your weapon with no enchanting skill required.

And - the POWER CRYSTALS which they keep not talking about, and which will very definitely suck.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Roger P said:
They don't beat you over the head with the "PR bullshit" stick in every post. Unlike youself.

kittenversusbaby8km.gif

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
Sandelfron said:
The amount of threads about this game is attributable, in part, to the
fact that any negative criticism of that game causes a magic Bethsoft
fairy to appear and play barrack-room lawyer.

Even in a thread that has nothing to do with that game the fairy may
sometimes appear, surrounded in a scintillating aura of monomania.
When it leaves the thread is transformed into another clone thread.

OK Sandelfron, I've had it with you. I've been posting here for longer than you have, talking about all sorts of things other than Oblivion. Yeah, I work at Bethesda -- as a programmer -- and yeah, because of that I sometimes feel compelled to answer questions, correct errors, or engage in lively debate about the games my company makes.

But the reason I post here isn't PR, it's because I'm interested in RPGs and I think that when you cut past all the cynicism there's actually some valuable conversation that occurs here. Believe me, even if I was in PR they don't pay me enough to take the abuse that gets dished out here if the only reason I came to this forum was for marketing.

So back off. Bitch about Oblivion and Elder Scrolls all you want -- I REALLY DON'T CARE if you like it or loathe it. But you are so, so dead wrong about my motivations for being here.

Back on topic:

LlamaGod said:
Why the hell does Bethesda keep making NPCs that do every single specific thing for you? Whats the point of specializing in that area if the NPCs can do it just as good, except for omg gold cost, because you know gold is so hard to find.

They had NPCs that raise your skills to maximum, make you spells and magical equipment and now they got NPCs to recharge the equipment too. Why not actually have them as abilities for people to do if they want to persue that instead of just having NPCs to do everything for you?

First off, enchanted weapons don't regain their charge automatically like they did in Morrowind. So you have to keep them recharged. Conan isn't necessarily going to be going around hunting for soul gems and soultrapping creatures, and so he can go into town to have it done for him. Also, Enchanting is no longer a skill, it's a guild perk, so yeah you have to pay to have it done. There is a special type of stone that is embued with magical effects that will enchant a weapon or worn item without paying someone to do it for you, but there aren't very many of them and you don't get to choose the magic effect of the enchantment.

NPC based training is much more controlled. You can't just pay someone and have your skills raised up to maximum anymore. We've done a lot to address the valid complaints that it was too easy to advance skills in Morrowind.

Rulion

Liturgist
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
So back off. Bitch about Oblivion and Elder Scrolls all you want -- I REALLY DON'T CARE if you like it or loathe it. But you are so, so dead wrong about my motivations for being here.
I really am surprised you still come here and read anything Oblivion related that VD posts. For that I have plenty of respect for you. Whatever you mention, whatever you dish out will never be enough. I never played Arena. Didn't like Daggerfall. Hated Morrowind after the first 20 minutes. But even I can recognize that you took plenty of the suggestions given to you to make the game more enjoyable, particularly when it comes to the dry clone characters. As game developers, I'm actually surprised you take the time to visit forums and help clarify things more to people who want answers.

VD's opinion of the game will never change, and he'll simply continue to make more posts where he'll do things like "L00K @ teh kewl kombat!" because he thinks the wonky spelling will somehow reinforce his point. I've never seen anyone as fucking pigheaded in my entire life, and yet he still tries to pretend he's being sensible or reasonable about the points he makes.

VD, quit your job on the Codex staff and stab yourself in the face with a rusty fork. Or stop eating, and when your stomach becomes distended, cut it open and burn your entrails while you're still alive. At the very least, stop posting more Oblivion threads and pretending they're news once you've interjected with your stupid comments. You should just make a single thread that says "I hate Oblivion! In case you didn't know!" so we can keep the idiocy condensed in a single location.

corvax

Augur
The Codex tends to shot itself in the foot with its own ways. I like this place, but the site could be much more inteligent in general if the overdone cynicism wouldn't overshadow mostly everything.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
I've been posting here for longer than you have, talking about all sorts of things other than Oblivion. Yeah, I work at Bethesda -- as a programmer -- and yeah, because of that I sometimes feel compelled to answer questions, correct errors, or engage in lively debate about the games my company makes.

But the reason I post here isn't PR, it's because I'm interested in RPGs and I think that when you cut past all the cynicism there's actually some valuable conversation that occurs here. Believe me, even if I was in PR they don't pay me enough to take the abuse that gets dished out here if the only reason I came to this forum was for marketing.
We appreciate your company, Steve, and you have our respect. Disregard those who misunderstand your reasons, and do continue participating in our humble discussions. You are always welcome and, I'm sure, you know it.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Rulion said:
I really am surprised you still come here and read anything Oblivion related that VD posts.
That's 'cause you are stupid. Don't be surprised, but ask yourself a question "why?"

But even I can recognize that you took plenty of the suggestions given to you to make the game more enjoyable, particularly when it comes to the dry clone characters.
Considering your stupidity, I'm not sure you can recognize your way out of a wet paper bag.

VD's opinion of the game will never change...
You are a prophet now?

VD, quit your job on the Codex staff and stab yourself in the face with a rusty fork. Or stop eating, and when your stomach becomes distended, cut it open and burn your entrails while you're still alive.
Hmm, a lot of anger in this one... Don't you know it leads to the Dark Side, fool?

Vault Dweller

Developer
hussar said:
The Codex tends to shot itself in the foot with its own ways. I like this place, but the site could be much more inteligent in general if the overdone cynicism wouldn't overshadow mostly everything.
Can you blame us for the cynicism, really? Year after year we listen to the marketing bullshit and empty promises, then get some overhyped crap that was destined to advance the genre, yet has less RPG features than games released a decade ago.

Rulion

Liturgist
Give me a break, VD. Every little thing that gets mentioned about this game you criticize to pointless degrees. But please, continue to call me an idiot because I disagree with you. Frankly, I think you're pigheaded, arrogant, and way too opinionated to post News for this site. I don't think you're stupid. Just bigoted. While I did get violent in that post, at I don't get into the whole "I'm surprised you're smart enough to breathe!" exchange.

Regardless, your posting style is so transparent I'd be amazed if anyone other than myself notices it. You make a huge deal, and when you get attacked, point out "But I loved Daggerfall!" Just right now you did that post right before where you buttered up MSFD and yet you're the one who dissects anything him or any of the other developers say. And not in a nice, criticizing way, but always mocking, rarely constructive. That "We love you, Steve" post followed by that ?- come on.The way you argue is pathetic and low, where you pretend to be reasonable and then when reviews and shit get mentioned, you go back into tenacious brat mode.

corvax

Augur
Vault Dweller said:
hussar said:
Can you blame us for the cynicism, really? Year after year we listen to the marketing bullshit and empty promises, then get some overhyped crap that was destined to advance the genre, yet has less RPG features than games released a decade ago.
The reasons for your cynicism for the most part are justified. That's why I visit this site. However more than often it seems like you're fighting fire with fire and sometimes you just light things up unnecessarily. At first doing so is fun but over time it loses its touch and becomes more and more monotonic. It's like two immature kids playing with one constantly calling another an idiot whenever that person does something. Additionally this also attracts plenty of other people who just like to bitch for no reason or make stupid assumptions (above Sandelfron). Overall I'd think you would realize the stigma of negativity that surrounds the Codex and that in the long run it can become somewhat of a drag.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Rulion said:
Give me a break, VD. Every little thing that gets mentioned about this game you criticize to pointless degrees.
I'm not impressed by every little thing that's been mentioned SO FAR, that's why I criticize them EXPLAINING WHY. If MSFD is correct and the best is yet to be announced, I'll praise those features in news posts. Simple as that.

But please, continue to call me an idiot because I disagree with you.
I called you an idiot because you attacked me without presenting your position and addressing my issues with the game. You filed all my points under "blind hate" and recommended to use a fork in a non-traditional way. That's why.

Frankly, I think you're pigheaded, arrogant, and way too opinionated to post News for this site.
Having opinions is a sin these days? Cool.

Just right now you did that post right before where you buttered up MSFD and yet you're the one who dissects anything him or any of the other developers say.
I respect MSFD and like him personally. I don't associate him with Bethesda's design directions. When I criticize something, I criticize what Bethesda did, not what MSFD did. I'm curious to see what he did with the magic system and I'd like to discuss that with him once the game is released. When he defends certain design decisions, we argue. Nothing wrong with that.

If I was as offensive to him as you are trying to color me, I don't think he would be talking to me.

The way you argue is pathetic and low.
Well, not everyone could be an awesome and totally cool guy like you.

fnordcircle

Liturgist
Frowning at my monitor as I read your dumb post.
Vault Dweller said:
I'm very sorry that the game you like sucks. Welcome to the Codex.
A catchphrase comeback? How unexpected from someone whose only content for posts involves circa 2002 'hilarious' chatspeak satire. I'm eagerly awaiting your 'all your base' response.

Keep bitching about the same game every day while there is nothing at all promising on the RPG horizon beside it. I'm sure the codex will do great things. You guys take the whole 'nerd rage' stereotype to a whole nother level.

Spazmo

Erudite
So, whereas VD's posts are mostly tired jokes, your iconoclasm and cutting critique is fresh and original? Give me a break. And besides, if you can't get past the form and discuss the substance, why even bother saying anything? Oh, right, it's to make yourself look like a real internet tough guy! I bet you'll get laid like crazy when you tell all the chicks how you totally ridiculed that dude on the internet!

And Rulion, please point out something in Oblivion that isn't worthy of derision (minotaur testicles aside)? All we've heard so far is flat out bad stuff ("streamlining" of the skill system, combat even more actiony than Morrowind, "knights on horseback going around and killing stuff") or fairly ornamental good stuff that's not really relevant to the core issues we're concerned with and is constantly regurgitated to cover the lack of any substance in every goddamn interview (flashy graphics, Radiant AI, realistic physics for bows, PATRICK GODDAMN STEWART!). Personally, I don't give a flying fuck about Oblivion. I'm not getting it anyways. What I'm annoyed by--and this is the same for VD--is that all the Oblivion PR to date has been a great big farce to blind people with light bloom and minotaur testicles and avoid tricky questions like "have you fixed the awful, awful dialog from Morrowind?" and "does the game have a point now?"

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
MrSmileyFaceDude said:

Don't forget, he called you a fairy.

Back on topic:

First off, enchanted weapons don't regain their charge automatically like they did in Morrowind. So you have to keep them recharged. Conan isn't necessarily going to be going around hunting for soul gems and soultrapping creatures, and so he can go into town to have it done for him. Also, Enchanting is no longer a skill, it's a guild perk, so yeah you have to pay to have it done. There is a special type of stone that is embued with magical effects that will enchant a weapon or worn item without paying someone to do it for you, but there aren't very many of them and you don't get to choose the magic effect of the enchantment.

I'm not so sure that putting it in as a guild perk is that great of thing after it being a skill in Morrowind. It just seems like it's a "Now you have it - Now you don't!" situation. I guess it depends on how hard it is to get in the guild, get this perk from a guild and if it works like a skill after that. It just seems a little odd that you guys have gone from "Anyone can do it with practice" to "This is only for special people".

I do agree that guilds should offer the player something special, though. Like someone pointed out, the only thing that Morrowind seemed to do with most guilds was that people would just call you "master" or something once you gained rank in them.

Ideally, once you gain full rank in a guild, things should be easier for you. If you're the head of a fighter guild in Earltown or something, and you get a quest to recover the Amulet of Moondew from Dwarf Bob's Perilous Dungeon, it would seem to me that you should be able to exploit your status to make that easier to do. You're the man in charge, so you should be able to make that a task for the guild or at the very least enlist aid of the guild for the quest. After all, when you started with the guild, you were given all sorts of tasks in Morrowind including helping out another adventurer clear a dungeon here or there.

I think things like that would be a better reward than unlocking a skill you didn't have to unlock in the previous game. Not to mention guilds could be a greater source of revenue for the player once they're the leader and decide to deligate tasks for the lower members.

Jora

Arcane
J.E. Sawyer said it well:
J.E. said:
We all know the typical "power faction" setup: the Holy Faction of Blah Blah seeks out the player because they believe he will be helpful in Task X. Too often, this becomes a simple case of one-sided manipulation. Give the player the ability to turn the tables on those factions and squeeze them if he or she wants to. Holy Faction Member A: "Solosolo, we think you should go kill the dragon!" Holy Faction Member B: "No! Solosolo, we think you should go talk to the dragon and make him our ally!" Solosolo: "HEY, TWERP, HOW ABOUT I TELL YOU WHAT I'M GOING TO DO, AND THEN YOU ALL HOP IN LINE TO MAKE IT HAPPEN?!" Holy Faction Members: *cower*

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Regardless of what VD says now, we all know that he''s never going to praise Oblivion no matter how well it turns out. He's just going to back up every little complaint about the game when it's released with a lot of made up assumptions about the game without having to actually play it.

Frankly, his shit is getting old.

Venereal Disease said:
How many times have I heard this idiotic line in response to a well formulated argument regarding your attitude at the Codex? It's really fucking funny how every criticism about the Codex seems to be rebutted with a snappy, but ultimately inane response like "Welcome to the Codex" and "If you don't like it here, nobody's forcing you to stay". Quite frankly, I do not feel that your attitude is conducive to any form of mature discussion.

Moron said:
So, whereas VD's posts are mostly tired jokes, your iconoclasm and cutting critique is fresh and original? Give me a break.
I fail to see how Rulion ever overstated the content of his posts as 'fresh and original iconoclasm and cutting critique'. Straw man argument.

And besides, if you can't get past the form and discuss the substance, why even bother saying anything? Oh, right, it's to make yourself look like a real internet tough guy! I bet you'll get laid like crazy when you tell all the chicks how you totally ridiculed that dude on the internet!
When was the last time you or almost anyone else here ever posted on topic? You're a pathetic hypocrite.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
moron said:
And Rulion, please point out something in Oblivion that isn't worthy of derision (minotaur testicles aside)? All we've heard so far is flat out bad stuff ("streamlining" of the skill system, combat even more actiony than Morrowind, "knights on horseback going around and killing stuff") or fairly ornamental good stuff that's not really relevant to the core issues we're concerned with and is constantly regurgitated to cover the lack of any substance in every goddamn interview (flashy graphics, Radiant AI, realistic physics for bows, PATRICK GODDAMN STEWART!). Personally, I don't give a flying fuck about Oblivion. I'm not getting it anyways. What I'm annoyed by--and this is the same for VD--is that all the Oblivion PR to date has been a great big farce to blind people with light bloom and minotaur testicles and avoid tricky questions like "have you fixed the awful, awful dialog from Morrowind?" and "does the game have a point now?"

Good graphics, AI and realistic physics are a reason for derision now, are they? Why don't you just play Geneforge and swear off any real games?

If you don't give a shit about Oblivion why do you keep ranting about it? Nobody needs to hear your invalid opinion about a game you don't even plan to play because you've already dismissed it as trash. You're just whining and all you're doing is taking up everyone's bandwidth with your idiotic drivel.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Sol Invictus said:
Regardless of what VD says now, we all know that he''s never going to praise Oblivion no matter how well it turns out.
Great, another prophet!

Frankly, his shit is getting old.
Frankly, your shit is old. It's basically the same, slightly rephrased "I hate VD" cry. Grow up.

Venereal Disease said:
How many times have I heard this idiotic line in response to a well formulated argument regarding your attitude at the Codex?
A well formulated argument? Well, Exit, since you've heard it so many times, it shouldn't be a problem to produce a proof, should it? No? Too busy searching for stuff at the moment? Then kindly shut the fuck up.
Btw, that "venereal disease" thing is hysterically funny. Thumbs up!

It's really fucking funny how every criticism about the Codex seems to be rebutted with a snappy, but ultimately inane response like "Welcome to the Codex" and "If you don't like it here, nobody's forcing you to stay". Quite frankly, I do not feel that your attitude is conducive to any form of mature discussion.
Once again, I don't think that anyone can claim that I've ever tried to avoid a discussion hiding behind one-liners. Those who criticize the Codex with arguments, get discussions and are taken seriously. Dicks who come to post "you suck" are treated accordingly.

Moron said:
So, whereas VD's posts are mostly tired jokes, your iconoclasm and cutting critique is fresh and original? Give me a break.
Calling Spazmo a moron is an example of mature discussions you spoke of?

Good graphics, AI and realistic physics are a reason for derision now, are they?
Dude, it's not an FPS forum.

You're just whining and all you're doing is taking up everyone's bandwidth with your idiotic drivel.
Another fine example of mature discussions, courtesy of our famous hypocrite.

Spazmo

Erudite
Hey, Rex, tell me: is there a sonic boom as the point whizzes over your head so fast? Do you feel the shockwave of your thundering failure to understand what you're reading?

First off, my first paragraph was directed at fnordcircle, the author of the post directly above mine, which is why I specifically mentioned Rulion at the opening of the second paragraph, in which I addressed Rulion's comments.

Furthermore, no, I don't care about Oblivion. That's why I'm not complaining about Oblivion. I'm complaining about how the Oblivion PR campaign is repetitive, misleading bullshit. Bethesda can obviously do whatever they want with their game--it'd just be nice if the preview materials actually suggested what that might be.

Nice graphics, bow physics and radiant AI are all very nice, but aren't enough to sell a game on... and yet that's almost all that's been discussed in detail, with almost zero information on the real meat of RPGs.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Sol Invictus said:
Vault Dumbass said:
Frankly, your shit is old. It's basically the same, slightly rephrased "I hate VD" cry. Grow up.

blah blah blah
roomofthosewhocare8tp.jpg
It's nice to see that once again instead of backing your shit up, you decided to post more meaningless crap and continue playing "change the poster's name" game. How very mature and original.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom