Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any good metroidvania recommendations?

Renevent

Cipher
Bloodstained is a friggin masterpiece. Go kick rocks ya bum.

Agreed, this is probably one of my favorite recent Metroidvania. Played through it twice.

I bought a switch recently and the new Metroid is also really good, although there were some things I wasn't too fond of (dumb robot hunter sections).

Infinitum

Scholar
Finished Aeterna Noctis on hard difficulty. Incredibly flawed gem in all. It does have rather difficult platforming which is welcome, but the latter two thirds of the game revolves around teleportation arrows which requires you to devote build gems to be able to aim/time properly, are still finicky to aim with a controller and imo all aren't as satysfying to use compared to precision platforming. It doesn't help that the developers reuses difficult jumps frequently and input buffering midair is particular to say the least - expect to fall into spikes due to the game not registering your double jump/arrow aim/dash a lot.

Combat is meh. You get sword strikes, arrows, a bunch of superflous blood-using moves and a forcefield instead of iframes or blocking. Standard strike from outside reach and back up. Plenty of reskinned slimes. A solid third or so of all enemies total explodes on death, which bogs it down further if you want to collect coins. Bosses can be difficult and requires learning patterns, at least until halfway across the game where you can abuse the blood tree to win the damage race consistently. Beat the last boss on the first try. 40 hours for 95% completion (including the Kings doors and all optional bosses), which I will not touch further because fuck guessing where the celestial dragon has run off to and double fuck grinding gold for hours in order to unlock the last few shard locations.

Still, the art is nice, the game lasts a good while for an indie game etc. Consider getting if you want a challenge and have already finished the classics, but there are plenty of better 'vanias from the last 15 years or so, and Celeste/Super Meat Boy are far superior platformers.

Tehdagah

Arcane
Touhou Double Focus, a short (~4 hours long) but sweet Touhou metroidvania with a character swap mechanic.

Gostak

Educated

Go for desolate runs without bothering with any of the DLCs at first (like I do). Good luck!

Its sequel might also work (but I do not know about that one at all really).

Jinn

Arcane
9 years of shadows releases this month on the 27th.

Seems this one turned out to be quite a disappointment as well. Too bad, because it looked promising at a glance. Not that it's a complete failure or anything, just generally seems middling.

Cursed genre with too many people who don't know what they're doing trying their hand at it. Pretty graphics aren't going to cover up their poor design.

Cursed genre with too many people who don't know what they're doing trying their hand at it. Pretty graphics aren't going to cover up their poor design.
That's pretty much 99.9% of contemporary games across all genres. I miss the engineers badly.

Jinn

Arcane

This just released into 1.0 and is supposedly quite good. Seen some lofty praise proclaiming it's approaching Hollow Knight tier. Kind of tempted...

deama

Prophet

This just released into 1.0 and is supposedly quite good. Seen some lofty praise proclaiming it's approaching Hollow Knight tier. Kind of tempted...

Strange that they didn't call it "lone mushroom" instead, that would make more sense.
I mean yeah, I get it, mushrooms are funguses, but funguses aren't mushrooms, they're like a collection of living organisms of a specific type of which mushrooms fall under, so if the game was about some living organism that spreads, burrows etc... then that would make more sense, but just a mushroom does not.

spekkio

Arcane
BROs, Alwa's Legacy is awesome (so far).

Nice and fucking readable graphics (I'm looking at you, Ender Lilies & Afterimage):

loYtHfu.png

Fantastic, puzzle-like gameplay:

uyZGLcx.png

You can also create bubbles to jump onto and throw thunderbolts to burn shit. :obviously:

Plus "regular" puzzles:

86YFTEG.png

Bosses with visible health bars:

sl0Zeob.png

Reviewers describe the game as "small & cute 'vania". It's neither. It's p. difficult and quite big:

Cvt4VnH.png

Solid :4/5: so far.

spekkio

Arcane
Finished Alwa's Legacy.

1XyO4yb.png

Ascended into my personal top 5 'vanias (letsay Hollow Knight, HAAK, Alwa's Legacy, Metroid - Zero Mission looks like Super Metroid will give me more KKK :roll:, Order of Ecclesia - not necessarily in that order).

Good:
  • Metroid meets Zelda meets Lost Vikings.
  • Fantastic gameplay, revolving around puzzles and exploration, instead of combat, which is (sadly) usual in recent "soulslike-vanias".
  • Great map design, with smart puzzles and interesting areas.
  • Only three "basic" skills (actually skill trees), but all of them useful. It's like those 3 vikings from an old game...

a) Green block can be used to reach higher areas, but when enhanced (see below) also to traverse through water, both horizontally and vertically:

UG2jMSU.png

It can also be further enhanced to blow up weak walls:

dsjl0tu.png

b) Blue bubble can be used to reach even higher areas:

2zWoitk.png

c) Lightning is used to burn / kill stuff.

But wait! There's more to them!

• No money, you collect only 3 types of collectables: green tears (turn savepoints into warp-points - great idea), red petals (aka heart containers: 4 of them = additional "life") and blue gemstones. The latter are very interesting. You spend them to upgrade skills, but in a non-permanent way. You can add / subtract them in a "magical shop", in any way you desire.

Need to kill a boss? Invest into homing missiles:

Yiyxudu.png

Want to reach some very high area? Turn your bubble into a baloon:

Jz2etfZ.png

Need to traverse some water? Make your block floatable:

iGFj53m.png

:obviously:

OFC when you collect all 99 gemstones, you no longer have to worry about which skills you should "enable", since you can use all at once. But you have to catch 'em all first... ;)

• Except skills you also have items and abilities:

2xFQVES.png

• On top of typical "dungeons", there are also 3 "shrines": -water, -time and -gravity themed. Jar-breaking fag in a green robe says hello.

a) Water Dungeon - increase / decrease water level to reach desired areas:

pwOXf8H.png

b6hcKFL.png

b) Time Dungeon - manipulate time to reach desired areas, blocked either by vines (now):

m5FqFvg.png

or lasers (past):

xjGvhFZ.png

c) Gravity Dungeon - move between floor and ceiling to... get killed > 9000 times on spikes. :(

dvLzt40.png

PVCCGt5.png

ov2KaAh.png

Def. my favorite area in the game... :cry:

XUuWaAC.gif

• Game's bigger than your mom:

Cgbrm8n.png

:incline:

• No "healing items". You can heal at savepoints + enemies sometimes drop "hearts". That's fucking it. No health spam during boss battles.
  • You can tweak difficulty to you desire:

a) When killed respawn at latest savepoint or in the very same room you got killed:

rdN0jrW.png

b) Show / hide item location on map:

UFlcQrb.png

:bro:

• Great graphics: clean, readable, functional.
Ugly:
  • Dat fucking spikes, mang!
  • Bosses can be too simplistic for combatfags coming from Hollow Knight or other (sometimes) spergish nonsense.
Bad:
  • Fucking nothing. With a development team of 4 people:

VhfbMhL.png
Anyway, it's time to take out the trash:

gSvngxe.png

:butthurt:

Shortly after:

7RhwNj5.png

:dance:

45gSulM.png

:yeah:

h9HFxcf.png

Um1xEgn.png

Verdict: :5/5:

Absolute blast and much better than overhyped trash like Blasphemous (weak gameplay) or Bloodstained (item / equipment flood).

And it's only < 200 MB big + I've paid ~5$ for it.

Get this shit nao!

Last edited:

spekkio

Arcane
Speaking of "weird 'vanias"... I think it's time for something tonally different:

mZhRdBB.jpg

mEcfbP8.jpg

Moments later:

n1ZF8jE.jpg

:obviously:

Settings:

iMvtbex.png

spekkio

Arcane
^
It was long time ago. But wasn't this one even more prestigious than SM? :?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom