Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any good metroidvania recommendations?

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath

Has anyone played this NES homebrew metroidvania?

It looks absolutely incredible (for a NES game), but I would like to know how the gameplay feels and how metroidvanish it really is.

Neuromancer

Augur
The Last Campfire
This has been a delightful little puzzler that reminds me of Ico and the Playdead games. It's on the easy side and has a children's story atmosphere to it. I imagine it's gonna net you a handful of hours of playtime but I'm impressed by the mix of heart, story, music, and gameplay. Its solid mix of those qualities has kept me engaged and eager to come back after breaks. What more could you ask from a puzzle heavy game? I think I picked it up for pennies during the last Steam sale.

OK, I bought and played this one, because I was in the mood for a casual game at the moment.

I paid roughly 3 bucks for it, which was OK.
The game isn't worth more, though, IMO - certainly not the normal price.

First: This is not a Metroidvania game (and this is coming from someone how would defend Yoku's Island Express as being one.):
- You only get one extra ability about one fourth into the game, but nothing more.
- While theoretically it is possible to backtrack into former areas, it is completely unnecessary. You can solve every puzzle and get every item in an area the first time you enter it.
To make it clear: Each area consists of several rooms. While you have to move back and forth between these rooms to solve this specific area, you never have to come back to any of these rooms, after you have moved on to the next area.
- There are no enemies and no fighting at all in the whole game.

The puzzles are on the easy side, which was to be expected for a casual game, so you can't fault the game for that.

And you have to give credit to the makers, that there is a good variety of puzzle mechanics, so you rarely experience completely the same puzzle one after another.
There is almost always a small twist making it different from the previous one. New mechanics are also introduced in a way that is very intuitive to learn.

But unfortunately, the game suffers from atrocious writing.

I general don't mind a childish story and writing for a casual game that can also be played by kids.
The problem is, that the writers thought, that they had to do "more" and so they added very cringy poems, that you can find - but luckily also ignore - throughout the game, that explain some of the backstory.
The style of these reminded me somewhat of a seven year old trying to emulate Shakespeare.

But as I said, you ignore these.
What you can't avoid, are the narrations inside the special puzzle levels (which you reach, when you enter the mind of some characters).
Inside these levels each time you solve part of the puzzle or move to some new platform, the game "rewards" you with artsy, pretentious one-liners, which talk about "emotions" and similar stuff.

Also the writers use gendered SJW speech, so all characters refer to themselves or others only in plural form ("they", "them", "we", "us" etc.), even if the sentence is talking about a single person.
:retarded:
Apart from being very retarded and wrong English, it makes it sometimes difficult to recognize, about whom the characters are talking about - especially when there are several characters on the screen.

All text is spoken by one actress as a narrator.
Narration is done for the most part in 3rd person, but sometimes switches to 1st person of the current character you are talking to.

Opinions about her voice acting may differ.
In the Steam forums, some people got excited about her "wonderful performance".
I personally found her terrible and constantly overacting, but luckily you turn the narration off in the options.

TLDR:
This is not a Metroidvanian, but a casual puzzle game with a variety of mostly platform puzzles and some inventory puzzles, a simple story, but unfortunately also with bad writing.
If you can ignore the latter and are in the mood for light puzzling, you can try it. Just don't pay the full prize.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer

It looks absolutely incredible (for a NES game), but I would like to know how the gameplay feels and how metroidvanish it really is.

The fact it has minigames, dialogues, etc. is very impressive. The game looks solid.

Not to do shameless self-promotion but I'm in a team of two and we're releasing a NES metroidvania on cartridge Q1 2024, the game is mostly done now it's just the hassle of the manufacturing.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Finished Alwa's Legacy.

1XyO4yb.png

Ascended into my personal top 5 'vanias (letsay Hollow Knight, HAAK, Alwa's Legacy, Metroid - Zero Mission looks like Super Metroid will give me more KKK :roll:, Order of Ecclesia - not necessarily in that order).

Good:
  • Metroid meets Zelda meets Lost Vikings.
  • Fantastic gameplay, revolving around puzzles and exploration, instead of combat, which is (sadly) usual in recent "soulslike-vanias".
  • Great map design, with smart puzzles and interesting areas.
  • Only three "basic" skills (actually skill trees), but all of them useful. It's like those 3 vikings from an old game...

a) Green block can be used to reach higher areas, but when enhanced (see below) also to traverse through water, both horizontally and vertically:

UG2jMSU.png

It can also be further enhanced to blow up weak walls:

dsjl0tu.png

b) Blue bubble can be used to reach even higher areas:

2zWoitk.png

c) Lightning is used to burn / kill stuff.

But wait! There's more to them!

• No money, you collect only 3 types of collectables: green tears (turn savepoints into warp-points - great idea), red petals (aka heart containers: 4 of them = additional "life") and blue gemstones. The latter are very interesting. You spend them to upgrade skills, but in a non-permanent way. You can add / subtract them in a "magical shop", in any way you desire.

Need to kill a boss? Invest into homing missiles:

Yiyxudu.png

Want to reach some very high area? Turn your bubble into a baloon:

Jz2etfZ.png

Need to traverse some water? Make your block floatable:

iGFj53m.png

:obviously:

OFC when you collect all 99 gemstones, you no longer have to worry about which skills you should "enable", since you can use all at once. But you have to catch 'em all first... ;)

• Except skills you also have items and abilities:

2xFQVES.png

• On top of typical "dungeons", there are also 3 "shrines": -water, -time and -gravity themed. Jar-breaking fag in a green robe says hello.

a) Water Dungeon - increase / decrease water level to reach desired areas:

pwOXf8H.png

b6hcKFL.png

b) Time Dungeon - manipulate time to reach desired areas, blocked either by vines (now):

m5FqFvg.png

or lasers (past):

xjGvhFZ.png

c) Gravity Dungeon - move between floor and ceiling to... get killed > 9000 times on spikes. :(

dvLzt40.png

PVCCGt5.png

ov2KaAh.png

Def. my favorite area in the game... :cry:

XUuWaAC.gif

• Game's bigger than your mom:

Cgbrm8n.png

:incline:

• No "healing items". You can heal at savepoints + enemies sometimes drop "hearts". That's fucking it. No health spam during boss battles.
  • You can tweak difficulty to you desire:

a) When killed respawn at latest savepoint or in the very same room you got killed:

rdN0jrW.png

b) Show / hide item location on map:

UFlcQrb.png

:bro:

• Great graphics: clean, readable, functional.
Ugly:
  • Dat fucking spikes, mang!
  • Bosses can be too simplistic for combatfags coming from Hollow Knight or other (sometimes) spergish nonsense.
Bad:
  • Fucking nothing. With a development team of 4 people:

VhfbMhL.png
Anyway, it's time to take out the trash:

gSvngxe.png

:butthurt:

Shortly after:

7RhwNj5.png

:dance:

45gSulM.png

:yeah:

h9HFxcf.png

Um1xEgn.png

Verdict: :5/5:

Absolute blast and much better than overhyped trash like Blasphemous (weak gameplay) or Bloodstained (item / equipment flood).

And it's only < 200 MB big + I've paid ~5$ for it.

Get this shit nao!

found the first game (alma's awakening) rather milquetoast...

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath

The fact it has minigames, dialogues, etc. is very impressive. The game looks solid.

Not to do shameless self-promotion but I'm in a team of two and we're releasing a NES metroidvania on cartridge Q1 2024, the game is mostly done now it's just the hassle of the manufacturing.

Great! I really love that people are still making games for old consoles from my childhood.

J1M

Arcane
A "metroidvania" with no platforming that uses something other than traversal abilities to segment content? I'd mostly argue that you are looking for a different genre, but it's a good chance to plug an underappreciated game.

Memorrha unlocks more areas as your understanding of how to interact with the world increases. The journey from first interaction to understanding the forge is great design.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Playing through "Lost Ruins" which is fairly tough 'vania with survival/resource management elements(conventional HP/MP drops are rare and you manage item drops that give them) and where even the regular enemies can kick your teeth in(the ice banshees *shudders*). You can do some cool shit with the items you get too, like making yourself immune to electric damage and thus being able to electrify enemies in the water with you with impunity.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Playing Axiom Verge 2. Not bad, but very by the numbers. Three big monsters killed. You can beat the game without killing any of them, but that's no fun.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Having spent more time into Afterimage i can it's a pretty solid game with plenty of exploration and challenging bosses. The game as anyone can tell from the trailers is eye candy from start to finish.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Well, here's one that wins points just for the novelty factor, a christmas carol themed 'vania where ol' scrooge fights off infernal spirits with his pimp cane and the help of friendly ghosts.

deama

Prophet
Having spent more time into Afterimage i can it's a pretty solid game with plenty of exploration and challenging bosses. The game as anyone can tell from the trailers is eye candy from start to finish.
Is the story any good/interesting?
And what about the powers, are they also interesting?

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Is the story any good/interesting?
And what about the powers, are they also interesting?
Story is weird to say the least and largely in the background, something about it being the post-apocalypse and the PC being some homunculi that's able to return from the afterlife and in search of her memories.

The acquired powers range from your standard navigational ones like double jump, a ground dive to break through floors, swimming/equivalent of metroid gravity suit and the various weapon ones depending on what you have equipped, like you have two slots for different weapon types at any given time such as like i have the short dual swords for quick upclose action and the scythe for longer range pokes and for anti-air and strong downward attacks. There's spell attacks that you can have equipped as well.

spekkio

Arcane
BROs, started Afterimage.

After ~2 hours I can say one thing - if you loved SOTN, you should play this game (itemization + passives).

Pros:
  • Beautiful graphics.
  • Expanded itemization + passives + "active" skills.
  • Big AF.
  • You can rebind all keyboard / gamepad buttons and even choose either analogue stick or digital UDLR keys for movement. In 2023!
Cons:
  • Can be overwhelming / too big. You keep entering new maps without a chance to properly "clear" the old ones (blocked / unreachable areas).
  • Slow when it comes to plot & new skills (so far).
  • Writing too "artsy" / cryptic.
Certainly devs poured a lot of love into this + played couple 'vanias before making this game.

:incline:

Screens:

afterimage-win64-shipnti2p.jpg

afterimage-win64-shipcrdq0.jpg

afterimage-win64-shipk6c7c.jpg

afterimage-win64-shipu2c10.jpg

I guess this is the shit everybody was baaawing about after release (too rare):

afterimage-win64-ship24emb.jpg

With current build it should be cheaply obtainable in shops. We'll see.

spekkio

Arcane
Aaand it's done. :(

Decided to give up on it after another hour.

Shit just never "opens up", you keep doing the same thing (killing mobs and grabbing +1 items) in a humongous environments. After things like Haak or Alma's Legacy it's just banal shit boring.

:decline:

Just check out most popular negative revievs on Steam, they're spot on actually:

It has a convoluted talent tree, but it's false complexity. Level restrictions stop you from actually specializing in one stat or another, so fans of in-depth character customization won't like it. Those who just want to get into the game won't like it either because you have to hunt and peck for which nodes you can put points into. (You can't tell at a glance). This pleases no one, and I honestly can't think of a worse way to design a talent tree.

Other things that could be safely cut from the game are weapons variety, cooking, fast travel currency (GOD WHY), magic system (it barely does anything), most of the leveling tree, world map, weapon upgrades and charms. (So, basically, like 90% of the game mechanics).

Also, trapping you in the boss room without a warning is such a dick move (you will start recognizing boss rooms from far ahead). Boss combat is poorly balanced around the leveling, and will result in either bosses melting you, or you melting them and maybe 10% of goldylock zone where you would have a fun combat. This is partially due to the badly thought world traversal, that is both extremely linear and consists of tons of backtracking (trust me, you will get what I mean when you see it).

Level design is brain dead, uninspiring and consists of mostly horizontal platforms and spike traps. (They do overstay their welcome sometimes, but at least it is something fun to occupy you). The huge vast areas of the game could be easily compressed to maybe 30%-40% without missing much.

Fired up Elderand instead. This shit feel more like my thing: simple, yet fun.

Taim

Educated
Playing an hour of afterimage reminded me of how much better a first impression aeterna noctis made.

And that's with me preferring visuals like ori or sotn. Aeterna is dark and depressing AF. Also the music is some of the worst in any metroidvania/game I've heard. There are a few decent tracks but most are either forgettable or aggressively dissonant (the wasteland theme hurts my brain).

Despite all of this there's so much complexity to the gameplay and exploration that it's still in my top 3 metroidvanias.

I had a noctis difficulty playthrough 2 years stale and tried to pick it up cold. Because the game is actually difficult (a feat almost no metroidvanias achieve) I got promptly dismantled. So I started over.

I think I'm enjoying it more the second time.

Truly a shame this game didn't get more love.

That idle animation though.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Playing an hour of afterimage reminded me of how much better a first impression aeterna noctis made.

And that's with me preferring visuals like ori or sotn. Aeterna is dark and depressing AF. Also the music is some of the worst in any metroidvania/game I've heard. There are a few decent tracks but most are either forgettable or aggressively dissonant (the wasteland theme hurts my brain).

Despite all of this there's so much complexity to the gameplay and exploration that it's still in my top 3 metroidvanias.

I had a noctis difficulty playthrough 2 years stale and tried to pick it up cold. Because the game is actually difficult (a feat almost no metroidvanias achieve) I got promptly dismantled. So I started over.

I think I'm enjoying it more the second time.

Truly a shame this game didn't get more love.

That idle animation though.
Noctis received enough love for a sequel to get greenlit. I still have yet to do the DLC....

I did the easy(ier) difficulty first before doing the Noctis run(i technically didn't finish it as i stopped right before the last boss as i got all the chievos i was going for). If you can do the easier mode, then noctis is perfectly doable, the only truly noticeable difficulty spike between the two is with the latter challenge doors. Those are absolute ballbusters.

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
Finished Afterimage. Very mixed feelings, though I think it's safe to say it's better than I expected.

They took the basic gameplay from Hollow Knight (which was very obviously the main inspiration) and attempted to spice it up by adding more RPG elements traditional to the genre. I think it's a mistake. Part of HK's greatness was how focused it was, and the RPG elements diluted that a lot. The RPG elements sucked big time anyway, most of them being boring shit like +10 damage / +5 HP/ +3% crit chance etc. Very conservative design compared to the craziness I'd seen from Death's Gambit.

On level design. This is without a doubt the biggest metroidvania I've ever played since La-Mulana. It's admittedly very much quantity over quality but I think quantity of such level commands some respect regardless, and the quality was not all that bad. Main problem is that it's frontloaded with a lot of boring stuff; there's nothing in the first 5? or so hours of gameplay that will impress anyone familiar with the genre, but it improves gradually after that. The world is very open after the early game and you have a lot of freedom to wander around and exploring places you're not supposed to, possibly getting your ass kicked or finding some gear much more powerful than you're using. That was good fun. Level design is for the most part mediocre; there are moments of greatness, but these are rare and far-between for a game of this size. The scenery looks gorgeous, which helps keeping the exploration enjoyable (though enemies pretty much all look like garbage). It does have a LOT of platforming. Not even hard platforming, mind you (nothing even comparable with the White Palace), but still enough to trigger a large number of people on Steam, which was pretty amusing.

Combat was okay. Controls are very fluid and most of the monsters and bosses were decently designed. One of the very few things that I thought was truly exceptional with Afterimage was that the game gave you six categories of weapons to choose from and these actually felt vastly different, each having its own combat style as opposed to the "statboxes with a slightly different hitbox" attitude that is typical for the genre. This is worth a LOT of points in my book. Unfortunately the game also has instant potion consumption (which is super lame and allowed to to just trade blows with bosses until they die, at least in the main game) and horrendous hitboxes. If they fixed the hitboxes I'd rank Afterimage's combat as one of the best in the genre, but sadly that's probably not going to happen.

Other thoughts:
- Music is servicable but not exceptional.
- The NG+ (not actually an NG+, more like a special mode after completing the main game) was complete garbage. Thankfully it's pretty short.
- Writing is about as good as you'd expect from something that looks like Genshin Impact. I assume it's even worse in the English version.

In the end I think Afterimage is the very definition of a mediocre metroidvania. It controls great, looks pretty, offers just about everything you would expect from a metroidvania... but in the end, it fails to bring enough novelty to the table that would have allowed it to establish its own identity and a place among the true classics of the genre. Which is a shame, because the game clearly had potential to be much more than it is. Still, I've spent 36 hours on the game at the time of writing and absolutely do not regret any of it. In fact I think I'm probably going to spend many more in the boss rush mode, since I enjoyed Afterimage's combat. Will this game end up like Hollow Knight where half of my total playtime was spent in the Pantheons? I doubt it, but I'll find out.

HansDampf

Arcane

I don't know if this has been posted before. He did exclude the more popular games, so these are all "hidden gems".

10. Rabbit's Quest
9. Ato
8. An Untitled Story
7. Lootbox Lyfe
6. Bone Appetit
5. Rain World
4. Castlevania: The Lecarde Chronicles 2
3. BatBarian: Testament of the Primordials
2. Cathedral
1. Phoenotopia Awakening

Has anybody played Phoenotopia? Never heard of it before. Looks interesting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom