Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any good metroidvania recommendations?

lightbane

Arcane
I don't recall Blood Omen having subtitles, I thought it had voice acting with no subtitles. Perhaps it was for the PSX version? I don't remember.

Infinitum

Scholar
Wishlisting Alwa's Legacy then.

Also, habe been checking some Sseth videos and came across Tribal Hunter. It looks pretty fun tbh, but also the author seems to be a gentleman of very particular tastes. Anyone care to share their 2 cents?

Justinian

Arcane
Developer
Carrion - you play as a tentacle monster that escaped containment, eat people to grow/heal, and acquire new abilities from containment units. Only issue is that there's no in-game map, but it's not a big game and i guess it makes sense that a mass of eyes, mouths and tentacles doesn't walk locomote around with a tablet or a pen and paper.

Priest

Novice
Are metroidvanias with little to none platforming a thing? Recently gave Blasphemous a try and realized that I find all the environmental stuff tedious

Justinian

Arcane
Developer
Are metroidvanias with little to none platforming a thing? Recently gave Blasphemous a try and realized that I find all the environmental stuff tedious
Check out Carrion (I posted link above). There's no jumping, you can crawl on walls and are basically free to move in any direction.

Infinitum

Scholar
Arguably no, since an open world gated by traversal abilities is the most common definition of the genre. Maybe try something like Unworthy for combat and exploration, although it's more of a a 2d soulslike.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
It's really a question of complexity when it comes to platforming in one of these, like there's fairly basic platforming in the actual Metroid-games vs something like Rex Rocket that has certain sections like super meat boy.

One of the most underrated of these ^

Ivan

Arcane
The Last Campfire
This has been a delightful little puzzler that reminds me of Ico and the Playdead games. It's on the easy side and has a children's story atmosphere to it. I imagine it's gonna net you a handful of hours of playtime but I'm impressed by the mix of heart, story, music, and gameplay. Its solid mix of those qualities has kept me engaged and eager to come back after breaks. What more could you ask from a puzzle heavy game? I think I picked it up for pennies during the last Steam sale.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom