Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Aod News Main Thread

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Will the combat crawler be able to run at 120Hz+? :)

I doubt it will be much different from AoD. Did you try the latest version? The main blocks for solving this issue would be that we don't have a 120Hz monitor to test, and we don't handle the rendering code for T3D. We'll look into it, but no promises.

yeah I did, doesn't work. Got a CRT monitor laying around? :P

Jrpgfan

Erudite
What are the benefits of playing this game at 120hz vs 75hz?

I would get it if it was a FPS - smoother movements, lower delay providing a little bit better aiming and reaction time and all that stuff. But an indie turn-based RPG? Clicking on the tiles faster during combat? 0,005ms lower delay when choosing a dialogue option?

Last edited:

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
It's smoother.

The thing is with LCDs that they're usually designed to run at a specific refresh rate. My screen is designed to run at 120Hz, if it's not running at 120Hz, it has quite high input lag and doesn't look smooth, it's annoying.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
I have a 144hz display and I don't notice any input lag at all.

Try disabling vsync in case you have it on.

Edit. Because of your post I decided to tinker a little bit with the settings. It appears that the game introduces a very slight input lag at 75hz, but not at 60hz. I don't know why's that, but try changing it to 60 and see if that fixes it for you.

Honestly though, it's so small that it might very well be placebo. Unless your monitor has really high response time, I can't see it being bothersome or even noticeable for some at all.

Last edited:

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Ok, I found what the problem is. It seems the game forces vsync on even with it turned off on the game settings.

I forced it off on the nvidia control panel and the game feels more responsive.

I have a Gsync monitor though, so that's not a problem for me. I don't think it's worth getting tearing in exchange for a slightly lower input lag for this game, but that's just me.

Sensuki

Arcane
Vsync is off. It's a screen dependant thing. my LCD is from 2010. Lower refresh is probably not as bad on the newer ones and yeah no Gsync.

Sensuki

Arcane
Yeah man, and with a program called RefreshLock, which works on 99% of games that don't offer the full range of refresh rates.

The game (engine) is the problem.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
I don't know man, I'm not noticing the slightest input lag here after I forced vsync off, and even with it on it's was really, really low.

In games in general I only notice some input lag when frames drop to lower than 40. At 75hz it's 100% unoticeable for me.

I doubt it's a display thing. Maybe it has to do with the engine and your graphics card, but not the display.

Sensuki

Arcane
The fact that the game won't run at 120Hz is the engine problem.

Non-Gsync 120Hz screens (particularly older ones) do not perform well at lower refresh rates. I am also an ex-competitive gamer with sensitive vision/good eyesight so stuff like that is really noticeable to me.

I went from a CRT monitor to a 120Hz LCD, I never really used 60Hz very much.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
http://steamcommunity.com/id/192742/recommended/230070/

I couldn't make it though the first quest I got it was so riggid and bland. I don't want to say what an RPG should be but this is just poor gamedesign. The begining of an RPG is supposed to be the strongest point hooking you into the lore and the rest of the journey. Instead I had to fight vastly higher leveled units or leave an old man to be beaten to death. No other option, no "fly you fool I'll hold them off" or reasoning. I got the feeling it was to introduce you into the cold hard world where you can't hope to win the 'right' way but it just further drove home everyone's else complaint in the game; play the way the devs wanted or lose.
Can't be a hero -> poor game design.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
http://steamcommunity.com/id/192742/recommended/230070/

I couldn't make it though the first quest I got it was so riggid and bland. I don't want to say what an RPG should be but this is just poor gamedesign. The begining of an RPG is supposed to be the strongest point hooking you into the lore and the rest of the journey. Instead I had to fight vastly higher leveled units or leave an old man to be beaten to death. No other option, no "fly you fool I'll hold them off" or reasoning. I got the feeling it was to introduce you into the cold hard world where you can't hope to win the 'right' way but it just further drove home everyone's else complaint in the game; play the way the devs wanted or lose.
Can't be a hero -> poor game design.
"I did the 'fly you fool' option and the Balrog dragged me down the pit and I lost my party and had to change classes. No other option, no, 'use Maiar magic to defeat Balrog' or 'have Legolas kite Balrog while everyone else DPSs him.'"

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
"I did the 'fly you fool' option and the Balrog dragged me down the pit and I lost my party and had to change classes. No other option, no, 'use Maiar magic to defeat Balrog' or 'have Legolas kite Balrog while everyone else DPSs him.'"

:lol:

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Good lord, the AoD Steam forum is at least as entertaining as the game.

Dorok 3 Jul @ 8:16pm
Dev feel smart to insult player in game introduction? Really?
Started the game and its introduction is a sort of insult as I'm a streamlined player and can only play CRPG wher a hero beat everything.

Sigh, more pretentious and he is a true god.

I played Pool of Radiance and Might & Magic 1&2 when the dev was probably nor born yet and he feels smart insult me? Really?

http://steamcommunity.com/app/230070/discussions/0/358416640397765186/

On a more positive note, a new patch seems to have gone live (31 MB download).

Vault Dweller

Developer
What's the current status of dungeon crawler?
The game is playable, all fights except the final (optional) fight are implemented. Some areas are very rough and missing textures. Two critters are still being worked on (should be done within a week or two), we're using placeholders (other critters) for now. New weapons and armor are done (models and icons) but haven't been added yet. The new interface is done but hasn't been hooked up yet. Only 3 portraits out of 40 are done.

So what's left is a lot of visual polish and balance work. We hope to present the game properly in mid-August but it depends on all that visual polish.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
What's the current status of dungeon crawler?
The game is playable, all fights except the final (optional) fight are implemented. Some areas are very rough and missing textures. Two critters are still being worked on (should be done within a week or two), we're using placeholders (other critters) for now. New weapons and armor are done (models and icons) but haven't been added yet. The new interface is done but hasn't been hooked up yet. Only 3 portraits out of 40 are done.

So what's left is a lot of visual polish and balance work. We hope to present the game properly in mid-August but it depends on all that visual polish.

So in mid-August it will be already done?

Also, i like your writing style. Can you please share file with all conversations? If its possible.

Vault Dweller

Developer
No. By mid-August we should have the bare minimum we need to show the game (like the GUI, the first ten portraits, new weapons, main screen, etc). Balancing the fights and improving the levels would take much longer, but we can start beta-testing in September if everything goes well.

Also, i like your writing style. Can you please share file with all conversations? If its possible.
Thanks. The dialogue file is in the game's folder.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
No. By mid-August we should have the bare minimum we need to show the game (like the GUI, the first ten portraits, new weapons, main screen, etc). Balancing the fights and improving the levels would take much longer, but we can start beta-testing in September if everything goes well.

If you put Miltiades, i am willing to pay extra for game.

p.s. That guy DESERVES separate game where he is main protagonist. This "secondary" quest-giver have more life and truth in him than most games main hero and antagonist combined.

Ninjerk

Arcane

If you put Miltiades, i am willing to pay extra for game.

p.s. That guy DESERVES separate game where he is main protagonist. This "secondary" quest-giver have more life and truth in him than most games main hero and antagonist combined.
I support this user's agenda THIS much.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom