Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Apex Legends - F2P Battle Royale set in the Titanfall Universe by Respawn

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Its a fucking tragedy this game is (at least allegedly) so successful, right when EA was starting to look a bit wobbly with disastrous releases. Imagine a world where Apex had been another F76 or Anthem? I can only hope and pray it does burn out super fast and all of this player number BS is just hype/smoke and mirrors. It will be a truly glorious day when one of these big triple AYYs finally crash and burn and go bankrupt.

The funny thing is I saw a vid a few months back with a guy commenting on how the Battle Royale space is fully saturated and it would be impossible to make a new successful entry. I guess thats been debunked now, but I still wonder how long a life span this genre has, it seems like such a shallow and simplistic system for long term play compared to say the MMORPG genre (though that probably explains why it is such a raging success with normies and children, who are utterly incapable of understanding or appreciating depth and complexity in games).

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Hmmm this sounds like a fake news to me. Is there some actual info on the matter or is this just the devs twatting about it?
Remember that it's just number of downloads or accounts, not players online. Probably half of these 50 millions are people who uninstalled it after seeing that their pc can't run it well enough.
In my home,we are responsible for three such downloads,after a an hour of play they were deleted. Still 50 millions sound like a lie to me.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Twitch viewership is an excellent metric to see how much attention and eyes a multiplayer game has on it at any given moment.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
And Apex no doubt in my mind has a colossal playerbase. People aren't watching Apex while not playing it themselves, Apex is accessible and a shitload are no doubt playing it as a result of it's accessibility.

Squid

Arbiter
Yeah a game is totally dead when it's not beating Fortnite because it did that on it's launch week because it was paid to streamers to promote it, had a solid and fresh feel to it compared to others in its genre, etc. Now that Fortnite is above it again, the game's dead I guess? I don't know what kind of logic that is. I haven't even seen it leave the top 5 on Twitch except maybe once. So many other games would be dead too compared to the twitch viewers. At the time of writing Steam Charts says there are 43,365 people playing Team Fortress 2 but Twitch only has 186 viewers.
I know I'm being a little silly with that because TF2's been played before streaming had any chance to be popular. But still, the game's twitch viewership is probably just stabilizing until we see what the future updates bring. They'll either help or hurt, obviously. But until then (or assuming the updates are fairly neutral in terms of attracting/pissing off players) the game will likely won't drop below top 10 on Twitch for awhile. Hell, people still watch plenty of PUBG. It's not like PUBG is dead and you can't find games of it.

I don't know if I believe the 50 million thing either but that just takes 50 million unique accounts logged into it to say it's true on a technicality. There's no way they half of that playing in a day I'd imagine. A lot of people log into games that are free, play a game or two and say "fuck this shit."

sullynathan

Arcane
Whenever they say "50 million players" they almost always mean 50 million unique accounts that have played the game in that month, year, etc. It's never the amount playing at a given time or the peak amount in a given day.

KK1001

Arbiter
The BR genre still has a long way to go and will be around for a while. The formula works because it is the ultimate skinner box game: opening things to loot to see what they are, opening cosmetic boxes for $$$, always trying to get the rush that comes with a final battle and victory.

Irata

Scholar
I liked what I saw of it, but like most other team games I just feel like I'm ruining someone else's experience and I'm not being entertained enough to justify it. R6 Siege is one of the rare team PvP games (outside of massive player numbers like 32v32/64v64) I don't feel that way. Not that I'm any good at it. It is petty, but I dislike nearly everything about Fortnite so I hope this game keeps its playerbase (despite having absolutely bland looking characters).

Niklasgunner

Savant
The cast would totally improve if all of it were scruffy, angry white men :lol:

There is nothing wrong with the characters besides the virtue signaling "This one is GAY and this ones pronoun is they"
Also having moba abilities as people call them makes for more varied strats, literally nothing cooler than a bangalore smoking the fuck out of enemies in a building and then having your bloodhound push in with wallhack :positive:

Squid

Arbiter
I just feel like I'm ruining someone else's experience
It's a multiplayer game with a focus on skill and a bit of luck. Of course it feels like that. Does it feel good when you stomp kids in team deathmatch for them? Hell no.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
You retards love to look at raw numbers without the slightest hint of analysis. Both COD and Fortnite JUST released new battlepasses/patches. There are constant tournaments in cs etc pulling people to watch it. When apex gets a battle pass and tournament lobbies, watch it swing the other direction. Will you clowns suddenly say "fortnite is dying". No, the real "ape sex" is happening on this forum on a daily basis.

Also no, twitch is only loosely representative of popularity of a game. The biggest streamers will make the shittiest game in top 10 viewed on twitch by themselves at any time they want. Twitch is more of a function of what popular streamers are playing.

:necro:

first pubg-like i wanted to try, because it was free and because i'm not a learning animal. "could it really be that ea did something decent for once?". no, they didn't, because the game won't start.
at first i had endless problems with the account itself, then with origin, than with downloading the game (from origin itself, i went to the game's page, clicked on "download" and it kept saying that to do that i had to install origin first. retardception), but then, once i installed the game... it won't start.
i tried everything suggested, like repairing the easyanticheat (may it die a million deaths), repairing the game installation, deleting cache, change language to polski (yes, no kidding), reinstall origin, redownload the whole game, but nothing worked.

ea. ea never changes.

Squid

Arbiter
Origin is definitely a shitty service. I won't argue that. Hell, I won't even argue that Apex Legends suffers from technical issues. Titanfall 1 and 2 never gave me a single problem. Apex Legends has had weird launch issues and random crashes with and without errors though. Those are all I've really experienced. The crashes really need to stop, my launch issues are very non-problematic though.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
:necro:

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...digital-revenue-down-74-percent-in-two-months

Superdata: Apex Legends digital revenue down 74% in two months
EA's battle royale title shows second month of steep digital revenue decline, falls out of PC and console top ten

EA's battle royale shooter Apex Legends is experiencing a steep decline from the highs of its launch, according to the latest report from Superdata.

Apex Legends earned $24 million in April, Superdata said, which is "down significantly" for the second consecutive month. In February, the company put Apex Legends' digital revenue at $92 million, meaning that it has declined 74% in the space of two months.

Despite its incredible start, which Superdata claimed was the best ever for a free-to-play title, Respawn Entertainment's game is no longer even in the top ten for either console or PC.

The game making the most noise in the April console chart was Mortal Kombat 11, which kept Epic's Fortnite from the top spot. Earlier this week, NPD said MK11 is the second best-selling game of the year in the US.

Across PC and console, MK11 sold 1.8 million units digitally, the highest in the series' history. The previous game, Mortal Kombat X, sold 400,000 units, a huge disparity that Superdata said is due to the general increase in digital downloads.

This drove a 17% year-on-year increase in the premium console segment, which showed the most growth overall. PC declined 4% over the previous year, despite some growth in free-to-play revenue.

Overall, $8.86 billion was spent digitally across console, PC and mobile in April, an increase of 7% over the same month last year.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
Problem with Apex is that the developers aren't crunching enough. Fortnite has people literally working 24/7 and being sexually harassed in their bathroom/cigarette breaks. Up your game EA!

Jamma

Novice
Game is too shallow to sustain hundreds of hours of play.
- Characters are too shallow (Pathfinder is the only exception).
- Weapons are all effectively hit scan so they're way too similar to one another.
- There's no strategical decision making involved, instead the game relies solely on firefights to win, which leaves the majority of the time feeling empty and boring as you move aimlessly across the map.
- This dead time doesn't offer anything to do. You can't even have tension as you move toward the enemy, since you have no idea where they are.
- The rounds are way too long, especially the first one. Shorten it by 30 seconds for every time a squad dies.

If the guns don't alter the experience, and the characters don't do it, and there's no strategical decisions that change from round to round, than the game will eventually become samey and repetitive due to all the dead time.
In addition:

- Having no strategical decisions to be made, and relying too much on aiming as the only relevant skill, means players who're bad at aiming can't play with their friends. Your buddy from school who only plays blobbers will 100% drag you down in apex, and he will be frustrated because he will go round after round without helping in any way. Either add a noob friendly character that doesn't rely on aiming so much, or say goodbye to the noobs.
- Mobas have a lot of characters with varied personalities to appeal to different audiences. In apex you got 8 edgy sonic fans who spout a hundred different variations of "I will win this and you will lose". The characters are boring, so the cosmetics are boring, and than you have nothing to sell.
- the biggest problem with Apex is that the developers aren't crunching enough. Fortnite has people literally working 24/7 and being sexually harassed in their bathroom/cigarette breaks. Up your game EA!

Gerrard

Arcane
R1AlvAu.jpg

:hero:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom