Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Are we an RPG Discussion website or a Free Speech website?

Are we an RPG Discussion website or a Free Speech website?

• RPG Discussion

Votes: 246 46.1%
  • Free Speech

Votes: 260 48.7%
  • Anime is shit

Votes: 28 5.2%

• Total voters
Codex Year of the Donut

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
It's a thread with an OP that contains only pictures of the actual game itself with barely any text.

But it seems the thread has generated some drama, so it's fitting to put it there (even when putting it there generated the drama, don't be so linear).
Every thread longer than 5 posts on grpg generates drama.

Then be happy yours among many was chosen to put in the right place

Codex Year of the Donut
It's a thread with an OP that contains only pictures of the actual game itself with barely any text.

But it seems the thread has generated some drama, so it's fitting to put it there (even when putting it there generated the drama, don't be so linear).
Every thread longer than 5 posts on grpg generates drama.

Then be happy yours among many was chosen to put in the right place
Hope you're happy when the only people here to talk with are SA and resetera users.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just quoting this so people won't have to go back the entire thread to find it...

DarkUnderlord

What is it YOU want to do?
It's not about what I want to do but about what I may have to do.

The choice in the poll is clear, because that's what the choice is. As numerous people here have pointed out - and know from experience - once you go down the censorship rabbit hole, where does it end? Right now we have one word. What about all the other words people can use? Where do we stop?

It doesn't. It goes right into turning the forum into another RetardEra. At which point we may as well shut the whole lot down.

As has been alluded to, the Australian High Court made a ruling recently which effectively means I (and the staff) may be responsible for the shit most of you idiots post.

Facebook defamation ruling by High Court exposes all page owners to lawsuits, not just the media

As much as social media has helped us to stay connected, especially for those stuck in lockdown, it has also become a home for vile and questionable commentary.

The High Court this week weighed into that issue, in a way, when it ruled that media companies are liable for any comments from the general public on posts they put on Facebook.

The case before the High Court directly involved some of the nation's biggest media organisations, but the consequences reach far beyond Australia's newsrooms.

If you're the admin of your band's Facebook page, or the local football club, or your own small business, it will matter to you too.
[...]
the court found that the media organisations were in fact legally responsible for comments on their pages, even though they played no part in drafting the remarks, because they had effectively facilitated the comments being posted.
[...]
The message from the High Court is that if a company wants a presence on social media, it's also responsible for moderating the content made in response to its posts.

"Any organisation which administers a social media account could also be liable for defamation on the same basis — for example, businesses, sporting clubs and community groups," he told the ABC.

"The decision gives potential plaintiffs such as Mr Voller the choice of tracking down the 'anonymous' person who made a specific defamatory comment and taking action against them, or going straight after the publisher — ie the owner of the Facebook account.

And that's Facebook. Where you're required to post under your real name. What are the greater implications for us?

As Roguey said: DU's been clear for years that he's not so much "I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" but "Say whatever you want up until the point where it becomes a legal inconvenience for me."

The Codex has always been a fun hobby. And now, we have a bunch of "free speech" proponents who run the minute shit gets serious and expect me to die on a hill for them.

If you want to post shit on the internet, that's one thing. But if you expect me to take a bullet for that shit, while you scurry off under your fake name and proxy account, that's entirely another.

If you want to be "free speech", that's fine. But you can damn well put your name next to it and stand by what you said.

And how are those crying "free speech" going to feel when I'm ordered to hand over your identifying details to law enforcement authorities? You expect me to refuse and go to jail on your behalf?

Over an RPG website?

We know that a large number of the shit-posters register with free dodgy email accounts and use proxies. Are you going to tell me they're really here to discuss RPGs?

How would you feel if I require personally identifying information in order for you to post on the Codex? Enter your credit card details here so I know who you are, just in case someone decides to play games over some shit you posted.

But even then, that's not enough. They can come after me now. They don't have to care about you. And knowing half the shit-posters and trolls we have here, I guarantee you someone's already thinking about how much "fun" they can have with this.

We already had someone try to shut us down earlier this year.

On one hand, I could argue the likelihood of that is small. Who's really going to take it to court, and sue for defamation in Australia and actually take it that far? It's not entirely an easy process.

But on the other, it's a worrying trend. It's only a matter of time before someone tries it. And all we need is for one person to give it a go and suddenly, we have some very big problems.

Over an RPG discussion website.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
On the actual issue:
Just do the split and hand the reins of the non-gaming part over to someone of the "muh freeze peach" crowd.
Will be interesting to see how they handle the heat and how long it will take that place to become a 2nd stormfront.

If we lose 60% of users over such a split - cool!
Less people who shouldn't have been on a gaming website to begin with just so they can derail every 2nd topic with their inane political conspiracies and other political nonsense.

Gaming was the reason why those of us who have been around long enough came here to begin with.
Going back to that would be a significant improvement even if it meant losing half the forum population.

Having politics was just a side-show introduced because that's just what forums did back then.
It was never the point of something called RPGCodex. Losing it would not be much of a loss at all and it wouldn't turn this website into a 2nd ResetEra, despite what some braindead alarmists would like to believe.

And as a small bonus, maybe the administration won't be arrested by an Australian government going 1984.
Would be cheaper on the users, too, if we don't have to provide bail for DU...

Codex Year of the Donut
On the actual issue:
Just do the split and hand the reins of the non-gaming part over to someone of the "muh freeze peach" crowd.
Will be interesting to see how they handle the heat and how long it will take that place to become a 2nd stormfront.

Less people who shouldn't have been on a gaming website to begin with just so they can derail every 2nd topic with their inane political conspiracies and other political nonsense.

Gaming was the reason why those of us who have been around long enough came here to begin with.
Going back to that would be a significant improvement even if it meant losing half the forum population.

Having politics was just a side-show introduced because that's just what forums did back then.
It was never the point of something called RPGCodex. Losing it would not be a loss at all and it wouldn't turn this website into a 2nd ResetEra, despite what some braindead alarmists would like to believe.

And as a small bonus, maybe the administration won't be arrested by an Australian government going 1984.
list of people who are surprised that you support censoring people you disagree with:

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This really is a simple problem to solve, provided DU knows someone he trusts outside of Australia.

Transfer the codex to crispy (or other person, idk where all the admins are from), but turn it into a business entity where DU gets some hefty financial reward if the codex becomes the next billion dollar company, which is not gonna happen but business can bring out the greed in people. It's hard to understand if you've never been there.

I think its preferable to transfer the site rather than shutting down or splitting the site.

Either way, drama is coming.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
It's not about what I want to do but about what I may have to do.
Move the site to romania.

German laws are also retarded, but I don't think our law enforcement will ever even glance at the codex.

They're gonna bust your door faster than you can spell GESTAPO.

Hosting in Switzerland would be a good compromise.

Moving the site from a police state to another police state is only a good idea if you're dumb or glow.

can we just have everyone with a g*rman IP tagged with "possibly retarded"

I agree. Everyone who still lives in that shithole is either retarded or too poor to get out.

Last edited:

Oberon

Learned
On the actual issue:

It was never the point of something called RPGCodex. Losing it would not be much of a loss at all and it wouldn't turn this website into a 2nd ResetEra, despite what some braindead alarmists would like to believe.

We didn't start the fire, we just wanted to be left alone to play our games in peace.
Political activists wormed their ways in, they looked at games and thought, "Oh cool! A popular entertainment medium! This is a perfect vehicle to push our radical political agendas!"
It would be nice if they just FUCKED OFF and stopped trying to cram their tranny bullshit victim complex conspiracy theories down our throats, but they won't, and thus it remains relevant as a topic in a gaming forum.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Political activists wormed their ways in, they looked at games and thought, "Oh cool! A popular entertainment medium! This is a perfect vehicle to push our radical political agendas!".

thesheeep is one of those political activists irl, no doubt.

It should be obvious that a certain subset of users has their own agenda when proposing solutions in here, and it isn't the deplorable crowd.

cant we host the site in, i dont know, malta or something?
or put it in infinitrons name? who'd sue a jew

Another bigger Jew

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
On the actual issue:
list of people who are surprised that you support censoring people you disagree with:
I know you won't believe it, but I don't give a flying fuck if people agree with me or not.
Plenty of people have disagreed with me here on myriads of issues over the years - don't think I ever felt the desire to have them silenced.

This is about keeping gaming politics* **-free. And banning political topics would achieve that goal perfectly. Worked perfectly fine for a lot of other places, too.
It would also solve about 80% of the reasons people would say anything "legally questionable" to begin with, thus solving DU's particular problem.
The rest is teenage edginess that just comes with the territory and has to be moderated manually.

*Just in case we have idiots of the "everything is political!" faction: No. No it isn't.
**Just in case we have idiots of the "most games contain politics!" faction: No shit, Sherlock. Not the issue and not the point. Your strawman sucks.

I didn't read thesheeep but I vaguely remember he's a raging SJW.

thesheeep is one of those political activists irl, no doubt.
If you are on the extreme right end of the spectrum, everything to your left is a raging SJW... even those who'd probably agree with you on most points you think SJWs would disagree with you.

Also, no need to get insulting!
Only few people range as low on my "respect" bar as gaming "journalists" and others trying to misuse an entertainment medium and its community by dragging them into their petty bullshit.

Codex Year of the Donut
This is about keeping gaming politics* **-free. And banning political topics would achieve that goal perfectly. Worked perfectly fine for a lot of other places, too.
It would also solve about 80% of the reasons people would say anything "legally questionable" to begin with, thus solving DU's particular problem.

*Just in case we have idiots of the "everything is political!" faction: No. No it isn't.
**Just in case we have idiots of the "most games contain politics!" faction: No shit, Sherlock. Not the issue and not the point. Your strawman sucks.
You consider it political to discuss exactly what a developer put into a game -- their exact words in a screenshot. Ergo, we simply cannot discuss video games at all and therefore your idea for a politics-free gaming forum cannot exist.

Why do you keep playing pretend like we don't see right through your argument?
You don't want things you like to be criticized, and you want those who do criticize it to be silenced.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
thesheeep What did you do to get banned from your favorite forum (that you gave money to)?

image.png

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
You consider it political to discuss exactly what a developer put into a game -- their exact words in a screenshot. Ergo, we simply cannot discuss video games at all and therefore your idea for a politics-free gaming forum cannot exist.
I get it, you're still butthurt about having your inane caveman BS being moved to drama.
My suggestion would be to relax a little.

Here's the thing, though: You didn't criticize anything.
You just went on a mind-numbingly cringey (cringy? Hmmm...) anger-spree about some political nonsense and thus the whole thread got moved.

Why do you keep playing pretend like we don't see right through your argument?
You don't want things you like to be criticized, and you want those who do criticize it to be silenced.
Okay, so right after I told you that I don't give a fuck if people criticize something I like (and even agreed that something I like has a lot to be criticized for) (all of which can be easily checked on this very forum) .... you come with this?

Are you... a bit slow, maybe?

thesheeep What did you do to get banned from your favorite forum (that you gave money to)?

image.png
Said that SJWs are idiots. Or idiotic. Edited my post to remove that, too, because I thought it was a bit too obvious trolling. Unfortunately someone quoted me before I removed it.
I never gave money to ResetEra, though - why do you think that? Serious question.

I do give money to NeoGAF, though. The forum that ResetEra split off from to become whatever the fuck ResetEra can be called now.
NeoGAF also banned politics on their forum - a move that sure ruffled some feathers but improved discussions there a ton.

Codex Year of the Donut
Okay, so right after I told you that I don't give a fuck if people criticize something I like (and even agreed that something I like has a lot to be criticized for).... you come with this?
"I said I don't want to censor anyone while openly advocating for censorship! How dare you not believe me!"
yeah we're not falling for it lol

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom