Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ARMA 3

CreamyBlood

Arcane
Finally, the situational awareness thing is now back. We can do away with the arrows and stuff and start using our 45 metre quest compass.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Underwater combat is majestic. But incredibly hard. I guess because I have zero idea how to command or fight there.

When I'm on land everything is 2D. Enemies can be to your front, left, rear, right. You can spot them dashing from concealment to concealment hundreds of meters away. You can see all the terrain so you can plan your approach and retreat ahead.
Underwater you can't see shit, enemies come at you from everywhere. We had enemy divers come at us from directly above. They were also hiding in between rocks below. A dude 5 meters away from you sees a different picture than you so he can see an enemy diver but you can't. That and we didn't manage to keep a proper spacing and formation (a "mommy" syndrome all OFP/ArmA newbies have - trying to stick to leader as close as possible like that will protect them better). If we at least kept 5m spread we could've seen much more. And if we had a proper line formation - more firepower to the front. That and alpha bugs too (trying to rearm underwater drops all your weapons and ammo and you can't pick them up anymore).

Still one thing I like is how 3D combat feels. It's absolutely nothing like ArmA was before. BIS won't stop there, they will also add SDVs in beta.

Also
http://www.greecevirtual.gr/en/north-aegean/agiosefstratios

And

http://alpha.arma3.com/spotrep-0001

LundB

Mistakes were made.
Man, with an interesting seabed full of rocks, sunken ships, seaweed, etc., you could create some really interesting gameplay situations with that.

I can already see a fanmission of competing to gain control of an underwater wreck with X desirable thing in it.

Joghurt

Augur
I haven't played with the underwater stuff but it sound like an unnecessary gimmick... They could have allocated those resources to something else although I don't know what could that be.

MapMan

Arcane
Are there any good tuto... I mean guides on how to effectively play this game? How to command, how to approach objectives and what not? I downloaded a fan SP mission called Whole Lotta Stratis (the objective is to simply recapture a bunch of objectives from OPFOR). I start with 6 soldiers at my side, a bunch of equipment and two armored vehicles. Here's how it went for me:

1. I ordered my squad members to get into the vehicles. Took me like 5 minutes to properly set it up and so that the other car follows me (I was the driver of one). I drive up on the road and suddenly I get shot at from pretty much every direction. It appears that my spawn point is pretty much surrounded by OPFOR. The gunner in my car opens fire from the mounted grenade launcher, wrecks OPFORs shit, chaos ensues. I leave the car and get instantly shot down. Game over.

2. Okay so the car's a NO GO. I decided to try an approach that is a little less noisy and not to stay out in the open like that. I take my squad members and just run uphill on foot, taking out any opfor. We noticed some guys up ahead, I lay down and open fire. Unable to take an enemy down from a guard tower I switch to the grenade launcher. After few tries I seem to have finally hit the target. But he's still there. I decide to take my chances and sprint uphill to cover with my squaddies. I peak from behind the cover (inb4 popamole) and empty a clip at the enemy. He doesnt go down. I say fuck it and just walk up to him. It appears those are two enemies stuck in each other, unwilling to die. I turn around and get shot in the face from somewhere. Game over.

3. I decide to take a more or less stealthy approach. I divided my squad into two groups, red and blue (god only knows why I did that since I don't know how to utilize it any further anyway). My squaddies and I take an alternative route, through bushes and forest, from another side up hill. I ordered my quad to be "silent" or whatever that means or does. We slowly move forward, step by step. From a bush to a bush... *BAM* Suddenly one of my members noticed some OPFOR (a car and some infantry?) like a kilometer or more away. They instatly started spraying bullets like mad men. Bullets whirling everywhere, rockets flying like there's no tommorow. Even the calm, black dude went all MAC on me. I took a screenshot:
predator-gatling-gun.jpg

Moments later when those fuckers calmed down and I wanted to move forward with my super stealthy COVERT OP, I got shot in the back of my head, from uphill. The noise must've attracked the fuckers. Game over.

Feel free to share your ARMA moments.

:retarded:

Runciter

Augur
Man, with an interesting seabed full of rocks, sunken ships, seaweed, etc., you could create some really interesting gameplay situations with that.
And then add turn-based combat and you'll end up with X-COM: Terror from the Deep.

MapMan

Arcane
Stop shitposting faggot. Go to GD.

Thanks skyway. I need to look for more detailed guides like that one.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
3. I decide to take a more or less stealthy approach. I divided my squad into two groups, red and blue (god only knows why I did that since I don't know how to utilize it any further anyway). My squaddies and I take an alternative route, through bushes and forest, from another side up hill. I ordered my quad to be "silent" or whatever that means or does. We slowly move forward, step by step. From a bush to a bush... *BAM* Suddenly one of my members noticed some OPFOR (a car and some infantry?) like a kilometer or more away. They instatly started spraying bullets like mad men. Bullets whirling everywhere, rockets flying like there's no tommorow. Even the calm, black dude went all MAC on me.

1493037-6FGZ7WP.jpg

http://members.tacticalgamer.com/~strag/arma/armacontrols2vh3.jpg

I printed it out a year ago and still have it on my desk for when I'm testing out missions.

1493053-JGGNF6K.jpg

I don't really like SP Arma anyways and mostly play it online. Try joining a group like ShackTactical, CIA, UO or SixthSense. Much more fun as you only have to think for yourself and not a bunch of retarded AI (usually).

EDIT:

This is the new Familiarization course from United Operations, I haven't watched it yet as I took the course but it might help. There'll be some ACE/ACRE/UO specific stuff but should give you some good info that will help.

MapMan

Arcane
Was about to say that... That's fucking nasty... Other than that, thanks for the tips.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I pop out my keys and wash them once a year. Nasty shit breeds on a keyboard.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I don't know where the hell you live, but in my country we've got Kleenex.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
Geez, it's just tobacco and ashes, who gives a shit? I wipe it down once in awhile and have a stack of ten more if I'm too lazy. I'm certainly not going to get out the windex and clean it up just for a codex picture. What are you guys a bunch of OCD neat freak hypochondriacs?

CreamyBlood

Arcane
One day I was watching my aunt play Tetris and I decided to cut off my dick. I didn't know anything about video games but for some reason I did it.

1533744-UZRX707.png

Many years later I was playing Arma and looked into the sun and saw huge multi-vagina. I just knew I had to have at least one of them so I pasted all of them onto my groin and called myself a girl.

1533747-AQP89YJ.jpg

For some reason, nobody liked me for who I was, so I started ranting about it on the internet and got lots of people to agree with me. I've been told I'm self absorbed, shallow and only think about myself, but it's not true.

1533839-HFR17KS.jpg

Now, all things are as I like them. Because I'm special.

1533843-W3HTDZ9.jpg

Sometimes, in retrospect, I think I should have just stuck with Tetris.

1533854-R4UZULC.jpg

I would fuck that goat. 5/5 goat.

When my glorious xerxes- and kebab-removing ancestors first fucked their goats I bet those specimens weren't even as shapely as this goat is.

Also, Arma 3 still freezes and doesn't update game cache. Is there a non-steam version I can try?

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
this forum... :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom