Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Assassin's Creed Shadows - Afro Samurai in late Sengoku period Japan - coming November 15th

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
which-halloween-costume-was-stanleys-best-creature-a-v0-mkgpzhlw01e81.jpg

The Office knew.

ind33d

Learned
The only reason slavery is illegal is because people would find out that slaves of each race have a different market value

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
There is zero chance this game flops. It would need to be a disaster of Unity proportions to affect the game.

I dunno if it's gonna flop, Ubisoft and interested parties probably have enough money to throw around to prevent that.

But it'll still be a massive disaster and I'll be happily munching on popcorn the entire time.

Mauman

Scholar

Damn, bad take by Gundam. Also, how is that comparable? I don't remember a racism backlash for not wanting to see Tom Cruise back then.

It's not. It's a false equivalency. One that is unfortunately very common.

Last Samurai is a "Fish out of water" story with Cruise being the viewpoint protagonist that's not even pretending to be a real story. This deal with Yasuke is borderline rewriting of history as people are trying to say he was actually samurai rather than what he really was - a glorified court jester.

It's a similar deal when idiots bring up Nioh.

ind33d

Learned

Damn, bad take by Gundam. Also, how is that comparable? I don't remember a racism backlash for not wanting to see Tom Cruise back then.

Last Samurai is a "Fish out of water" story with Cruise being the viewpoint protagonist that's not even pretending to be a real story. This deal with Yasuke is borderline rewriting of history as people are trying to say he was actually samurai rather than what he really was - a glorified court jester.

cruise also SPOKE JAPANESE, unlike SOME PEOPLE

Tehdagah

Arcane

Tom Cruise's character not being real is even worse. At least the black samurai is half-accurate.

Tyrr

Liturgist
The difference is, Tom Cruise is in the movie because he is Tom Cruise.
In AC it's because of DEI and BLM.

Wasteland

Educated
The difference is, Tom Cruise is in the movie because he is Tom Cruise.
In AC it's because of DEI and BLM.
Yeah. The Last Samurai is a Tom Cruise movie about Japan. AC Shadows is a game about Samurai in Feudal Japan, starring a random black guy.

Arguing that the latter is more defensible, because "at least the black guy was a real person"--or even dumber, that Tom Cruise was whitewashing Japan just as badly as Ubisoft is blackwashing it--also misses the point. Last Samurai's protagonist may not have been a real person, but the movie describes a real, and more importantly, interesting, period in history, in which Japan was torn between its insular traditions and the desire to profit from Western (white male) power and influence. It was a clash of cultures worthy of study.

Tom Cruise's character arc highlights this conflict by essentially inverting it--the worldly and dissolute white male ultimately finds purpose and meaning by adopting Japan's traditions. The fact that he's white is crucial to the story's themes and to an understanding of the period in question.

By contrast, the black guy in AC Shadows was less than a historical footnote. As far as I can tell, he was basically a Japanese warlord's pet, an exotic curiosity, for a period of about two years, before he was summarily returned to Euro custody. His only battle experience on record was a surrender. His only significance is to serve as a r/iamverysmart-style gotcha, a fig leaf excuse to shoehorn retard-tier globalist propaganda into what would otherwise be a nice bit of historically flavored escapism.

If anything, this Yasuke guy's existence is an exception that proves the rule: here we have the singular fucking African to set foot on Japanese soil prior to about 1960 (at which time there might have been a trickle of black GIs stationed on American bases)--and sure enough, the danger-hair woke-capital brigade trot him out as evidence that Japan was "always multicultural." You're a racist if you think a story set in Feudal Japan should revolve around Japanese people. And just in case you foolishly doubt that this is propaganda ("it's just a game, bro"), the furious edit wars on Wikipedia to retrospectively cast Yasuke as a major player in Japanese history ought to settle any doubt.

Shameless.

Tyrr

Liturgist
Remember, the 'Summer of Love' was 4 years ago. That's usually the time it takes to develop a video game.
That's why AC:S or for example Alone in the Dark 2 are the way the are. And I expect more of this in the near future.

Mauman

Scholar

Tom Cruise's character not being real is even worse. At least the black samurai is half-accurate.

Shout out to Wasteland for explaining why this take is fucking stupid so I don't have to.

Also, half-accurate? Not even a quarter-accurate. Probably not even 1 percent accurate.

He might as well be a fictional character at this point.

Hell, Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter is probably more historically accurate at this point.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik

In the movie, Cruise is a complete outsider learning the ways of Nippon

Like half of the movie is about Cruise learning jap customs and traditions

Imagine if it will start with him being portrayed as trve samurai without even telling how white guy ever got there

ind33d

Learned
AC: Shadows has made me decide that in all future communications with the government I will write and speak only in ebonics

what is the IRS agent going to do if I call him the n-word? if all black people were samurai, that's just a compliment

deuxhero

Arcane
Nioh did Yasuke right: He's recruited by a guy trying to resurrect Nobunaga and serves as a random weird boss that uses an African mythological beast as a summon to give a break from all the Japanese guys that make up the human bosses for most of the game. He reappears in Nioh 2, but has an even smaller role as an optional boss that duels you for Nobunaga's amusement when you're both working for him.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom