Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Good Old Games
Donate to Codex
News Content Gallery About Donate Discord Contact
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Assassins Creed Valhalla - set in the Viking age

ADL

Cipher
AC Odyssey, which was an actual good game for the most part.
Really? I do dig Greek mythology and classical period aesthetics, but I've avoided the game solely because it's a recent AC title. Should I reconsider and give it a try?
Odyssey is basically Witcher 3 with a Diablo style loot system and look up footage of the exploration mode which turns an above average experience into a super memorable one. I really like Odyssey and Valhalla.

Vatnik Wumao
AC Odyssey, which was an actual good game for the most part.
Really? I do dig Greek mythology and classical period aesthetics, but I've avoided the game solely because it's a recent AC title. Should I reconsider and give it a try?
Odyssey is basically Witcher 3 with a Diablo style loot system and look up footage of the exploration mode which turns an above average experience into a super memorable one. I really like Odyssey and Valhalla.
Isn't it pozzed af though? I recall some footage showcasing ancient Greek characters looking Subsaharan tier.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yeah, an Assassins Creed game where you can't assassinate anyone. Awesome concept 10/10 GOTY material.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Odyssey is basically Witcher 3

Valhalla is to TW3 what Aliens are to Alien - a dumb but enjoyable action sequel to a smart and stylish masterpiece.
Heard even worse things about Valhalla in terms of how it portrays history.
Yeah I wanted to say "Odyssey is to TW3...", my bad.

As for Valhalla, AC was never super concerned about portraying history faithfully, it has always been full of great historical detail but Ubi never let history stand in the way of mass-market entertainment.

It's about as faithful as the TV show Vikings, i.e. not much but it's not an all-out assault on your intelligence either. If you wanna something a

Zeriel

Arcane
Odyssey is basically Witcher 3

Valhalla is to TW3 what Aliens are to Alien - a dumb but enjoyable action sequel to a smart and stylish masterpiece.
Heard even worse things about Valhalla in terms of how it portrays history.
Yeah I wanted to say "Odyssey is to TW3...", my bad.

As for Valhalla, AC was never super concerned about portraying history faithfully, it has always been full of great historical detail but Ubi has never let history stand in the way of mass-market entertainment.

It's about as faithful as the TV show Vikings, i.e. not much but it's not an all-out assault on your intelligence either.

IMO the original was pretty grounded. 1 & 2 are very, "Okay this kind of makes sense, secret society based on templars a few hundred years later isn't that unbelievable in a make-believe kind of way", but with 3 and onwards they just completely jumped the shark. The moment they went "ackshually templars predate templars and the crusades existing at all" was the moment they became an absolute joke.

And 3 and onwards is also when they started advertising the whole "this game is made by a team of dindus and trannies" disclaimer and became openly woke, with templars being associated with ebil right-wingers and etc. Before then it was relatively "okay".

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
IMO the original was pretty grounded. 1 & 2 are very, "Okay this kind of makes sense, secret society based on templars a few hundred years later isn't that unbelievable in a make-believe kind of way", but with 3 and onwards they just completely jumped the shark. The moment they went "ackshually templars predate templars and the crusades existing at all" was the moment they became an absolute joke.

And 3 and onwards is also when they started advertising the whole "this game is made by a team of dindus and trannies" disclaimer and became openly woke, with templars being associated with ebil right-wingers and etc. Before then it was relatively "okay".
Yeah the first one made great effort to fit in with real history. One of the things that drew me to the series. And made me hate it later when they abandoned that.

The THIS GAME IS MADE BY A MULTIKULT TEAM PLEASE DON'T SUICIDE BOMB US ISLAM IS PEACEFUL disclaimer was there from day 1 though.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
IMO the original was pretty grounded.

Gotta admit, never really played the first game. Bought it for peanuts on GOG three years ago, tinkered with it for an hour or so but by that time I was already spoiled by later sequels and the original felt incredibly anemic, repetitive and BSB.

I remember loving AC2 but again - full of genuine historical detail (buildings, clothes etc.) but I also remember riding a wooden tank or some such and blasting enemies. So whenever "fun" calls for some ridiculous "AWESUM VISCERUL" moment Ubisoft doesn't hesitate to crank it up to eleven, history be damned.

Btw if ya'll wanna play a truly grounded, historical Viking game go for Expeditions: Viking. An amazing party based, turn-based, Fallout-like RPG with great attention to historical detail, made by actual Danes :obviously:.

Last edited:

Zeriel

Arcane

Yeah the first one made great effort to fit in with real history. One of the things that drew me to the series. And made me hate it later when they abandoned that.

The THIS GAME IS MADE BY A MULTIKULT TEAM PLEASE DON'T SUICIDE BOMB US ISLAM IS PEACEFUL disclaimer was there from day 1 though.

Was it? Huh, guess I just forgot it. But AC3 to me seems to be the moment where they just went overboard. I still liked parts of it, but it's the point from which it really starts to become a slog of having to ignore like 50% of the game to enjoy the other 50%. And it was mostly just carried for me by the fact I really love snow environments.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again!

It's basically larping as a mercenary in ancient Greece, and very light on the AC part.

It's open world, and well worth it if you want to play an action RPG set in ancient Greece. Just avoid the DLCs, they are trash... as Rusty said, this game is probably a complete fluke.

So if you get the base game on deep discount, like 20 bucks, go for it. I hate AC, and I still liked this.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
But AC3 to me seems to be the moment where they just went overboard. I still liked parts of it, but it's the point from which it really starts to become a slog of having to ignore like 50% of the game to enjoy the other 50%. And it was mostly just carried for me by the fact I really love snow environments.
I like 3 solely for larping discount tarzan.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I also remember riding a wooden tank or some such and blasting enemies.
I think the tank was adapted from a drawing of Leonardo da Vinci, so it's already more historical than other shit Ubisoft did with AC

Zeriel

Arcane
Worth noting that the meta/modern-day plot in AC is irrredemable shit, and the developers continue forcing the player to sit/play through it.

Yeah, that they killed off a character that a lot of people generally liked in favor of the manboon of the week is the ironic part. It's like they want to be hated.

Worth noting that the meta/modern-day plot in AC is irrredemable shit, and the developers continue forcing the player to sit/play through it.
AC plot stuff actively hurts the rest of the game. E.g., in Odyssey it cheapens the ancient Greek mythos and take away the mystery.

Top Bottom