Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Auction House Online: The Game (Diablo 3) is a MASSIVE decline

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
398905_10150890344058166_835728165_9855570_1560789249_n.jpg

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...90344263166_835728165_9855571_585271472_n.jpg
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...90344458166_835728165_9855572_827416519_n.jpg
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/564828_10150890349603166_1039311965_n.jpg
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...0349818166_835728165_9855610_1664072734_n.jpg
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...90342478166_835728165_9855560_492040495_n.jpg
http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/575284_10150890341483166_2078777770_n.jpg

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I'm still in Act I, so I still have much to find out, but the plot isn't exactly terrible. So far it's competent and that's it. Writing's adequate, so is voice acting. So far I've yet to find something as silly and forced as in a Bethesda game. As for the "lore", I get the feeling it's becoming more and more the bonus card that you can play anytime you want to complain about a sequel or adaptation of anything. The Diablo serie never had much of an interesting world, and that's mostly because it never had great characters. Sure, it has a darker theme for a fantasy story, long before grim and dark was fashionable like it is now, and it was fun to see it deal with the themes of corruption and end of the world, but it was there mostly to give some background to the action and nothing else.

If anything the dialogs are still (yeah, still) corny enough to make me smile when I hear them, from the blacksmith's woes with a scottish touch to Cain's ramblings about the End of Days. I kind of prefer the long monologues of Diablo, which had a better sense of cohesion than those of Diablo 2 did, but this dialog approach feels more dynamic. It probably doesn't have the desired effect, especially given how much Blizzard and its fan like to praise their stories, but it's still fun to see it unravel if you don't take it too seriously.

sser

Arcane
Developer
So, like, is this game ever going to fucking work? Trolololo.

(American servers.)

flushfire

Augur
one thing that i found surprising is the lack of importance of character names. you could name all your characters the same, and you don't even get to see the names of other peoples characters, just their battletag. the few times actually saw character names were in conversations with npcs, thats it. not really a big deal, but it does add to the feeling that any pretention of RP is thrown out the window, this is just pure action game now. well, that's what i thought anyway.
So, like, is this game ever going to fucking work? Trolololo.

(American servers.)
yeah, service outage or some such.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
If anything the dialogs are still (yeah, still) corny enough to make me smile when I hear them, from the blacksmith's woes with a scottish touch to Cain's ramblings about the End of Days. I kind of prefer the long monologues of Diablo, which had a better sense of cohesion than those of Diablo 2 did, but this dialog approach feels more dynamic. It probably doesn't have the desired effect, especially given how much Blizzard and its fan like to praise their stories, but it's still fun to see it unravel if you don't take it too seriously.
There's a difference between Diablo's implied horror and Diablo III's explicit but completely inept take on the same themes. Stuff like the blacksmith asking you to murder his horrifically transformed wife before he even introduces himself (and displaying basically zero emotion about it whatsoever), or the fact that Our Heroes constantly fall into stupid and obvious traps with no way of avoiding them because the plot says so, or big character inconsistencies that exist once again only because the plot needs them to work... it's not just simply cheesy and corny, it's bad. There's a pretty big difference in my opinion, and again, this is a game that tries to get you to take it seriously and care about what's going on.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5051765524?page=1

"So I installed the game last night, logged in about 4am EST, and finished it up about an hour ago on normal. Now what?

Do I just play the same stuff over and over increasing the difficulties? If so, that cant be all there is? Is there end game or something I am totally missing????

Im so bummed out thinking all the hype and 60 bucks was for about 6 hours of a good time (which it was). Now I can just farm gear for a single player game? I cant even show it off like in WoW?

Can someone clarify what I am missing"

p.s. According to wiki, Development on Diablo III began in 2001.

sser

Arcane
Developer
There's a difference between Diablo's implied horror and Diablo III's explicit but completely inept take on the same themes. Stuff like the blacksmith asking you to murder his horrifically transformed wife before he even introduces himself (and displaying basically zero emotion about it whatsoever), or the fact that Our Heroes constantly fall into stupid and obvious traps with no way of avoiding them because the plot says so, or big character inconsistencies that exist once again only because the plot needs them to work... it's not just simply cheesy and corny, it's bad. There's a pretty big difference in my opinion, and again, this is a game that tries to get you to take it seriously and care about what's going on.

I think it's fair to say that we have gotten older and more used to these sorts of things, just as well. I mean, Ultima Underworld used to scare the pants off me back in the day; and so did XCOM. It's hard to achieve those same effects now that we have grown used to billions of polygons, artwork, sound effects, music, etc. Minimalism now takes the most effort to pull off, ironically enough.

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
Do I just play the same stuff over and over increasing the difficulties?

achievement unlocked: master of insight.

you expected something different?

ps: btw aren't you the one fighting the troll good fight back there in the massive decline thread? and now you spent 60 bucks to play such a dumbed down pile of shit only to come to the conclusion, that diablo is repetitive and all about grinding gear?!

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
It was not my post, just a quote from official forums.

I do indeed neither plan to buy Diablo 3 (nor download free version of it).

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Thread got locked by Blizzard, but discussion started was interested, so much fanhate for stating obvious facts about D3.

Like that you have to play easymode "Normal" (term chosen not to offend casuals by calling it Casual mode?) difficulty first to unlock harder difficulties. Or that game is basicly repeating same short story in 4 acts over and over, nothing else.

Also to add: rushing though game author of post died 1 (one) time in whole play-though. Its not even Casual difficulty (or maybe it is, i never tested this difficulty when offered option tbh).

Semper

Cipher
Like that you have to play easymode "Normal" (term chosen not to offend casuals by calling it Casual mode?) difficulty first to unlock harder difficulties. Or that game is basicly repeating same short story in 4 acts over and over, nothing else.

that's diablo for you... if you would try to slam some heads with your lvl1 char in nightmare, you won't come far. you always had to unlock the difficulties step by step and regrind the same "story" over and over till exhaustion. nothing new to see here.

Terpsichore

Arcane
Finishing the campaign was never a major part of diablo games, it was the online play, trading and pvp.

Both of these aspects are gone.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

that's diablo for you... if you would try to slam some heads with your lvl1 char in nightmare, you won't come far. you always had to unlock the difficulties step by step and regrind the same "story" over and over till exhaustion. nothing new to see here.

Which makes it all pointless as you get the same relative challenge on every difficulty. Oh sorry, you get a few extra 'skillz'...

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
D3 seems to have gone back to its roguelike roots, with short intended gametime and semi randomized locations. The problem is its not nearly random enough from what I heard and there is not enough options for a roguelike.

Seems its meant to be played on hardcore with permadeath.

Semper

Cipher
Which makes it all pointless as you get the same relative challenge on every difficulty.

simply no. while the char development is linear the difficulty will increase in a gaussian bell curve till the climax.
in d2 hell was nothing like normal challenge wise. i expect the same from hell in d3. inferno will be even more pain... at least i hope so.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Which makes it all pointless as you get the same relative challenge on every difficulty.

simply no. while the char development is linear the difficulty will increase in a gaussian bell curve till the climax.
in d2 hell was nothing like normal challenge wise. i expect the same from hell in d3. inferno will be even more pain... at least i hope so.

You think? I never really noticed much difference apart from needing to whack the fuckers a few more times and use some powers and drink potions a bit more. Difficulty just made a boring grind even more tedious. Maybe you are confusing HP and damage bloat with difficulty?

Revenant

Uhh, anyone got a spare guest pass? I would like to test the decline demo. PM please if you want to share your guest pass.

Semper

Cipher
I never really noticed much difference apart from needing to whack the fuckers a few more times and use some powers and drink potions a bit more.

in hell you got instablitzt to death if your resistance was low. you can't stand in the middle of a horde if your block chance was poor. this all boils down to hp and damage bloat as difficulty changer but that's how it always was. for sure the whole difficulty drops down to a cakewalk and becomes obsolete the better your equip is. still the challenge ain't relatively the same.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom