Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming February 18th

NaturallyCarnivorousSheep

Albanian Deliberator Kang
Patron
Possibly Retarded
The money side of things is difficult to judge because the game was in dev hell. What has to be said though is that Microsoft may have money but they don't have to be completely careless about spending it, their internal budgeting may have been let's say 50 million(I have no source its random number) for the game and maybe the rework from coop into full single player game allowed Feargus to get some more because it took some time etc. They may also have a policy of giving studios given amount of money every year and allowing them to go loose, but adjust it depending on some metrics, so unless some financial report comes out of MS we won't know how much was spent on it.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Ever since PoE, Obsidian have been having the problem with some incompetent artist drawing clothes stitched together with giant, rope-sized threads. This is so moronic, did no one teach this guy in 10 years, that this looks both bad and is not representative of medieval or even earlier period sewing techniques. Jesus.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Notice the unnatural lighting whenever mushrooms are present. It's like they are lit from the inside, but don't emit light around them.

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Notice the unnatural lighting whenever mushrooms are present. It's like they are lit from the inside, but don't emit light around them.
That's noticeable with the red lake in the background too. I think that's part of the color design they are going for with the "weird" elements in the environment. This should be what's their idea for a "unique, colorful and dynamic visual style".

Conan

Arcane
My favorite excuse. Imagine it in other arenas of life.

"We had different priorities than winning the war. If only you understood the avant garde art piece we were constructing at Saigon."
I liked Dragon's Dogma well enough but it's not giving me what I want when I want to play a Bioware or Obsidian-branded game. All games/studios have different priorities, some are going to be more suited for what you want than others.
Yes. Remember PoE games set in the mystical lands of ur-ethra (clever play on first earth, eh? Damn that soyyer guy is such a genius), have different priorities such as well designed gameplay and storytelling. That's why they had the same mechanics in poe1 and 2 and will change to an altogether different genre of fps.

And remember their masterful storytelling in poe1? You are sick, so sick that the caravan has to stop. But then you are sent to combat wolves to procure your own medicine! A twist worthy of M. Night Shyamalan?!!

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Why would Feargus agree to being bought out if it didn't involve money? Why would they settle into a position that forces them to release every game on a service that's a few dollars a month day one if they aren't getting anything from it? You don't make any sense.
IDK but Avowed and TOW are not games that had MS resources poured into them. Sawyer also made Pentiment, a passion project. You don't get to do that if you work for MS. Starfield is what you have to make if you work for MS.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Guys, Avowed is more discussed here than on Obsidian's forums. :lol: I guess even the devs will be stalking this thread, because there are literally 5 (five) responses to the official thread created to discuss the "deep dive".

Readher

Savant

abija

Prophet
IDK but Avowed and TOW are not games that had MS resources poured into them. Sawyer also made Pentiment, a passion project. You don't get to do that if you work for MS. Starfield is what you have to make if you work for MS.
Poured? Probably not. But they get enough to not be hungry for more, which is the actual issue. The equivalent of state jobs in some countries.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Poured? Probably not. But they get enough to not be hungry for more, which is the actual issue. The equivalent of state jobs in some countries.
If MS wants returns from their investments they should put a lot more resources into the studios they buy especially with Obsidian or at least they should get other studios to help them....or something. So far, they just don't care. Which is just weird.

Sibelius

Novice
Anyone know if they plan to do multiple languages for the audio? Steam only lists English for audio and interface, so I guess they haven't released that information? I have nothing against the US generally, just can't stand hearing American accents in a medieval fantasy setting.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
Tbh, I prefer Avowed's setting (Eora) over The Outer World's setting. At least they attempt to portray something interesting with Eora (the soul stuff) rather than just "lol capitalism bad look at how sacrastic we are" theme of The Outer World, which is why I'd sooner try Avowed than The Outer World 2.

Conan

Arcane
Tbh, I prefer Avowed's setting (Eora) over The Outer World's setting. At least they attempt to portray something interesting with Eora (the soul stuff) rather than just "lol capitalism bad look at how sacrastic we are" theme of The Outer World, which is why I'd sooner try Avowed than The Outer World 2.
Translation: prefers constipation over diarrhoea.

Perkel

Arcane

Wasn't whole point of POE1 "Gods are bad and manmade" ?

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
There is something weird about the game I cannot describe it but it looks like the exact graphics of Deadfire but with the camera being put in a first person perspective. All the assets, weapons look ripped straight out of deadfire but rendered in a slightly higher quality.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Not really. Starfield took 8 years to make. By nature of Game Pass MS needs a steady flow of new games added, from different genres and different tiers (AAA, AA, indies). For every Starfield there are many Pentiments and Citizen Sleepers needed.

And Pentiment received good press and players' opinions, so it's a good edition to the wide catalogue. I doubt MS regrets spending pocket change on its production.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
Ever since PoE, Obsidian have been having the problem with some incompetent artist drawing clothes stitched together with giant, rope-sized threads. This is so moronic, did no one teach this guy in 10 years, that this looks both bad and is not representative of medieval or even earlier period sewing techniques. Jesus.
If you mean aumauauauaja gambeson, i think gambesons with detachable sleeves is a thing. Altought then it probably better to model ribbons not straight threads

Muhshrooms, there are things that glow but don't emit a lot of light, who cares. It's not why grafix looks meh. It's just general moderntard design direction where colors just don't match in a beautiful and nuanced way

AwesomeButton

Patron
Wasn't whole point of POE1 "Gods are bad and manmade" ?
I'd say it was more "We expect you, player, to be surprised by our wizened and wise revelation that the in-game population would not be surprised by the in-game revelation that the gods are man-made and basically powerful ancient animancers".

The point of PoE the game was "We had to come up with something so you give us your kickstarter money". Therefore it's not "magic", it's "soulz" and it's a pretty purple. That will be $35 for digital edition.

AwesomeButton

Patron
There is something weird about the game I cannot describe it but it looks like the exact graphics of Deadfire but with the camera being put in a first person perspective. All the assets, weapons look ripped straight out of deadfire but rendered in a slightly higher quality.
Notice the discrepancy of detail between clothing textures and the "table with mushrooms" on which the dead body is leaning.

user

Savant
Am i the only one that is worried for actual meat of the game rather than combat itself.
Well, they showcased ..."loadout swapping". If that's a highlight of character customization... rip.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom