Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming February 18th

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
You are the envoy of Aedyr, a distant land, sent to investigate rumors of a spreading plague throughout the Living Lands

Oh no a plague. I hope they make a vaccine real quick

Are NPCs completely incapable of writing something that isn't part of the WEF platform?
To be fair, this game has been in development hell for so long, that idea might even predate the chink flu.
To be extra super fair, it doesn't even have to be as stupid as it sounds.

What I loved about the plot in Baldur's Gate is that on the surface it was "You are an orphan trying to unveil the reason behind the iron shortage", which sounds about as interesting and original as "rumors of a spreading plague", but the actual plot of Baldur's Gate wasn't about that at all.
to be extra extra super fair iron shortage is more creative than YET ANOTHER PLAGUE
NWN did the strange plague ugh I'm getting PTSD now

Peachcurl

Cipher
to be extra extra super fair iron shortage is more creative than YET ANOTHER PLAGUE
Yep. To varying degrees of involvement:

- NWN
- Dragon Age Origins
- GreedFall
- Dishonored
- Bloodborne
- Darkest Dungeon
- TES: Morrowind
- and even VTM Bloodlines

Probably many more.

Of course it makes some sense at least, since plague/disease is a major factor in human history and personal experience. So people like to tell stories about it, I guess.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In

- NWN
- Dragon Age Origins
- GreedFall
- Dishonored
- Bloodborne
- Darkest Dungeon

Probably many more.

Of course it makes some sense at least, since plague/disease is a major factor in human history and personal experience. So people like to tell stories about it, I guess.

Don't forget about almost every fucking zombie game ever. Guess it's convenient because it creates a vague sense of urgency. You need to stop the badguy because othewise everyone will die eventually. But they won't die soon so players can do some subquests Also helpful for gating locations. You can't get in/out of a city because of quarantine which can be lifted whenever devs say soy.

Reinhardt

Arcane

- NWN
- Dragon Age Origins
- GreedFall
- Dishonored
- Bloodborne
- Darkest Dungeon

Probably many more.

you literally forgot pillows. tho it's understandable - everyone did.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
OK, but Avowed is going to be about how a white guy from Aedyr brought the plague here on purpose to genocide the poor natives, and it'll be a soul plague because that's the extent of Pillows worldbuilding.
How dare you!?

There are all sorts of new and interesting concepts in PoE, which is why that plot will be exactly as described, but it will be "enphlue'nzxa" and "schmalpwx" that will decimate the natives.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Is this worth watching? Is there a TL;DR?

I hate these 25-minute long videos with talking heads that take forever to get to the point.
It's alpha footage. They say you'll be able to use spells on the environment (burn brambles, freeze gates, freeze water to walk on it). The xaurip area they show in the video was made because someone was ahead of schedule.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
It's alpha footage. [...] The xaurip area they show in the video was made because someone was ahead of schedule.

wait what the fuck? how many months do they have left to launch again?
Fall 2024 so December at the latest.

Oh boy.

1705959656705.png

Ryzer

Arcane
They may have to use phind at this point, it is probably more productive than an Obsidian dev.

StrongBelwas

Arcane
Patron
90% fluff
You have 'two loadouts', interpret that as you wish.
The GET OVER HERE bit is one of some special physical attacks you can get.
Magic damage goes through the enemy's armor

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
The fact that the player is locked to being an emissary from the Human/Elf empire, one of the oldest states in the world and a colonial power, guarantees Patel & co. will be playing the colonial guilt card to a screeching falsetto.

For those who don't remember, Aedyr are "the British accent guys" in this setting.

The outcome could depend on how much flexibility the game has, though. Deadfire had plenty of colonial guilt, but ironically that’s exactly what allows you to play as the biggest scumbag colonizer bringing civilization to the dirty savages, which is one of the more entertaining ways to play that game

Shaki

Arbiter
Is this worth watching? Is there a TL;DR?

I hate these 25-minute long videos with talking heads that take forever to get to the point.
It's alpha footage. They say you'll be able to use spells on the environment (burn brambles, freeze gates, freeze water to walk on it). The xaurip area they show in the video was made because someone was ahead of schedule.
Waow! Can I also move and stack exploding barrels?

Kem0sabe

Arcane
They again said that the zones are similar in size to the biggest ones in the outer worlds, which were pretty small.

The game will be another outer worlds type of rpg, overland map with a dozen or so zones you can visit, arranged like a theme park. Here is the desert zone, here is the forest zone, here is the mountain zone. Inside each map, everything will be static, no mob patrols, no dynamic environments, almost no settlements.

Obsidian is so predictable, this was supposed to be their AAA open world action RPG to rival the elder scrolls, only to be progressively toned down into fantasy outer worlds.

As I said before, It's not the lack of money, they have unlimited resources and carte blanche from MS... It's a lack of talent.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
What I loved about the plot in Baldur's Gate is that on the surface it was "You are an orphan trying to unveil the reason behind the iron shortage", which sounds about as interesting and original as "rumors of a spreading plague", but the actual plot of Baldur's Gate wasn't about that at all.

See? That was nothing. But that's how it always begins. Very small.

Tenebris

Scholar
The game will be another outer worlds type of rpg, overland map with a dozen or so zones you can visit, arranged like a theme park. Here is the desert zone, here is the forest zone, here is the mountain zone. Inside each map, everything will be static, no mob patrols, no dynamic environments, almost no settlements.
The fact that all that is built into the lore of the Living Lands makes it even less surprising they choose that as the location.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom