Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming February 18th

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
We'll see but even the normies are laughing at Avowed footage. Remember they took the Youtube video down then reuploaded it to get rid of the negative comments. Lol.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think it is laughable to suggest Obsidian is a competitor to BioWare at this point, cause Veilguard at least clearly is trying to appeal to a much larger audience than Avowed.
Obsidian's broken the 10 million sales mark, Bioware has not. One is a dead studio walking that had to lay off a bunch of senior employees recently (including the guy who co-wrote Baldur's Gate) due to budget cuts, the other has kept on trucking this entire time with regular turn-over.
In more recent history, yes, but I think the layoffs after the Stormlands cancellation were a more traumatic event than "regular turn-over".

Obsidian has shown a better ability to adapt as a company (despite never really knocking anything out of the park). But perhaps their luck will finally run out one of these days!

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Remember they took the Youtube video down then reuploaded it to get rid of the negative comments. Lol.
My recollection about this event is that it had to do with an error, not negative comments. If a company wants to get rid of negative comments they can simply block comments on a video.

In more recent history, yes, but I think the layoffs after the Stormlands cancellation were a more traumatic event than "regular turn-over".
That was a game development lifetime ago and while a lot of devs in the trenches had to go, they didn't lose any seniors. Josh Sawyer survived it despite it being his project.

with which game/s in which period of time?
Grounded. Also New Vegas (with a lot of help from Bethesda).

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
We'll see but even the normies are laughing at Avowed footage. Remember they took the Youtube video down then reuploaded it to get rid of the negative comments. Lol.
fakenews.png

Lol what fake news? I think you are a very biased Obsidian shill on some weapons grade copium.

I think it is laughable to suggest Obsidian is a competitor to BioWare at this point, cause Veilguard at least clearly is trying to appeal to a much larger audience than Avowed.
Obsidian's broken the 10 million sales mark, Bioware has not. One is a dead studio walking that had to lay off a bunch of senior employees recently (including the guy who co-wrote Baldur's Gate) due to budget cuts, the other has kept on trucking this entire time with regular turn-over.

Obsidian has shown a better ability to adapt as a company (even without really knocking anything out of the park). But perhaps their luck will finally run out one of these days!

Before being shut down, they're gonna get turned into a franchise sweatshop tho. The ball's been already played. Now MS only needs to realize that OMG kids that were made back when FO4 or Skyrim were fresh are likely gonna have their driver's license by the next entry -- and bingo.

https://x.com/ChrisAvellone/status/1736609878133850431

Quillon

Arcane
Also New Vegas (with a lot of help from Bethesda).
I thought Bioware were more succesful in its heyday: ME3 and DAI sold 6 mil each, NV almost twice that. And Bioware does N7 day each year. Comparatively Bethesda kept ignoring NV & its fans all these years to the point where it doesn't matter anymore, they deserved their gigantic flop.

Comparatively Bethesda kept ignoring NV & its fans
https://levvvel.com/fallout-statistics/

Fallout 3 and 4 sells more than NV.

Bethesda doesn't owe you anything. You can always play New Vegas. I always play Fallout every year, I do not care whatever fan fiction Chris Avellone wrote for "Fallout 2" and Blew Gegas.

Obsidian should work on their own IPs and stop catering to consoomer like you who itching for their next injection of crack-product to consoom - also, it's better capitalistic practice.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
The Fallout sales have reached over 55 million copies across the entire series.
(Source: VG Chartz, GamingBolt)
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

FNV was made in 17 months, with a much smaller budget and team.

Looking only to total revenue is not a good way to measure a success of a product, you should look to the amount invested and the returns, if a game costs X to be made and gives 3X profits, it is more successful than a game that costs 50X and returns 49~51X. A lot of AAA game studios are doing massive layoffs by a reason.

Maybe, maybe not. A game made on a budget of two cheese sandwiches and a wooden nickel that brings in four sandwiches and a wooden dime is less successful than a game made on a budget of $10 million that brings in $12 million, even though the former has a higher rate of return on investment.

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
Or you could view the world as a man instead of a shekel-worshipping bourgeois cutout and judge them on their merits as games, art, etc.

When someone says ‘____ is bad, low quality, tasteless’, if your response is ‘well it made a lot of shekels, so that means it’s ____ :smug:‘ then you are a walking, talking advertisement for serfdom.

Last edited:

scytheavatar

Scholar
Also New Vegas (with a lot of help from Bethesda).
I thought Bioware were more succesful in its heyday: ME3 and DAI sold 6 mil each, NV almost twice that. And Bioware does N7 day each year. Comparatively Bethesda kept ignoring NV & its fans all these years to the point where it doesn't matter anymore, they deserved their gigantic flop.

That's the thing, Obsidian's heyday is one game. As a whole Obsidian has always been a studio that appeals to a niche audience. Bioware has a bigger track record of successes and a bigger fan base.

FNV was made in 17 months
Josh and Chris has stated publicly that they can only make NV in 18 months because of the tools provided by Bethesda.

I am not sure why you're gassing up the 18 months thing anybody who peeked outside rpg cuckdex bubble already know this.

Yes, investment to profit ratio, NV maybe produced larger margin, only because they don't have to spent resources to develop the engine.

Obsidian time better spent on developing their own IP. They already have The Outer Worlds, they have built the tool, and new classless RPG system (thanks to Tim Cain hu Akbar, praise be upon him), Avowed and TOW2 will reaped the benefits of tools developed by TOW1. We want Pillars of Eternity 3, Pentiment 2: Islam Edition, and Grounded 2: Iraq Warfare.

Quillon

Arcane
Comparatively Bethesda kept ignoring NV & its fans
https://levvvel.com/fallout-statistics/

Bethesda doesn't owe you anything. You can always play New Vegas. I always play Fallout every year, I do not care whatever fan fiction Chris Avellone wrote for "Fallout 2" and Blew Gegas.

Obsidian should work on their own IPs and stop catering to consoomer like you who itching for their next injection of crack-product to consoom - also, it's better capitalistic practice.
Did I say I'm owed anything? But if they weren't butthurt and looked at it strictly as business it was a no brainer to use Obsidian more(when they had actual talent), even acquire them + they even ignored the obvious improvements in game and designed F4 as if NV didn't exist, this mindset eventually led to Shitfield.

Did I say I'm owed anything?
Yes you did. Saying that there are some part of fandom being ignored implies they're entitled to some attention. They didn't.

NV didn't exist
Improvements? Let's not talk preference, let's talk objective, numerical truth, strictly business.

Fallout 4 outsold New Vegas. That's an objective truth.

Improvements? By what metric? Because you like it? lol. Yeah, no.

Shitfield is an Okay game that couldn't cope with the player expectation. The only way Shitfield can be perceived as good, is if the game can bringing back Jesus himself from heaven, stopped war in Iraq and Afghanistan, solved global poverty and give me a mean blowjob.

Personally, I think it's just too big for 1st IP. It's trying to be the Forever Game that it shouldn't be, it lacked focus. That's why casuals (i.e. larger market) couldn't easily latched on to it as they did to Fallout 4.

It'll be easier for you to cope if you accept that Fallout is dead in 2010. I've accepted that Fallout died in 1998 and now I can enjoy whatever shit product bethesda put out to the market as is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom