Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming February 18th

jackofshadows

Magister
Tbh he looks like a nerd which is good, obviously. They seem desperate.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Except for yet another semi-open world-ish action RPG power fantasy,
Feel free to list how many of those that have been released in the past 10 years.
12 ports of Skyrim, Skyrim anniversary edition, Skyrim anniversary edition with paid mods,
Elex, Chronicles of Myrtana, Witcher 3, Gedonia, Dread Delusion, and I'm forgetting way more.

scytheavatar

Scholar
Seems odd to ask about a game that was supposed to come out in but a couple weeks, but:

What is Avowed gonna be? Like, for real. Except for yet another semi-open world-ish action RPG power fantasy, all set in the same universe as that piratey CRPG nobody has ever played. Except me.

Honestly, what's the pitch? That it looks kinda pretty? What game doesn't? That it may play pretty nice? Well, duh! That it runs on your PS5? Cowabungah! It seems all Obsidian can actually emotionally trigger is either nostalgia. Or a crave for moaaar of IPs that are not of their own making -- simply by developing sequels and spinoffs ever since they did cook one of those up in Feargie's 450-square-foot attic. Tragic.

No wonder they're afraid to compete with anyone. If you're a car salesman who can't sell cars, you move to someplace where nobody else does. But you.

Pitch is a fantasy version of The Outer Worlds, people in Obsidian are desperate to make it clear this game is not going to compete with Skyrim. The Outer Worlds sold well so maybe this game will too? Yeah right.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
The majority of media, including games, is populated by meek, unambitious, mediocre creatives. There's very few with drive and passion left. They've been thoroughly driven away by a pathetic corporate culture that promotes design-by-committee, rather than visionary leaders.

The industry is vulnerable and in many ways, easy pickings. I hope that driven and talented developers return, because everything is currently a joke.

“The slave revolt in morality begins when 'ressentiment' itself becomes creative and gives birth to values: the ressentiment of natures that are denied the true reaction, that of deeds, and compensate themselves with an imaginary revenge. While every noble morality develops from a triumphant affirmation of itself, slave morality from the outset says No to what is "outside," what is "different," what is "not itself"; and this No is its creative deed.”​

― Friedrich Nietzsche, On the Genealogy of Morals

The majority of media, including games, is populated by meek, unambitious, mediocre creatives. There's very few with drive and passion left. They've been thoroughly driven away by a pathetic corporate culture that promotes design-by-committee, rather than visionary leaders.

The industry is vulnerable and in many ways, easy pickings. I hope that driven and talented developers return, because everything is currently a joke.

“The slave revolt in morality begins when 'ressentiment' itself becomes creative and gives birth to values: the ressentiment of natures that are denied the true reaction, that of deeds, and compensate themselves with an imaginary revenge. While every noble morality develops from a triumphant affirmation of itself, slave morality from the outset says No to what is "outside," what is "different," what is "not itself"; and this No is its creative deed.”​

Holy moly, mr pizza cutter quotes a Fred Neetz but don't know James Dis has said something more profound than this.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Unless the game has an unforgettable killer story that streaming whores will gush over for years, or the compelling quests/factions of Fallout NV, this has virtually nothing to distinguish itself from other fantasy content. No wonder Feargus seemed nervous in that recent interview when he was asked about Obsidian's future...

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy

Holy moly, mr pizza cutter quotes a Fred Neetz but don't know James Dis has said something more profound than this.
Here's something more suitable to your intellectual capacity:

Doo Doo
Pee Pee
Avowed bad

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
Avoided VS Failguard. Which will be worse?
I think Avowed will be bland but basically fine, if Veilguard has as many issues as the gameplay reveal and the Game Informer promos indicated it does it's going to be a trashfire. I'm open to being proved wrong though.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
I think Avowed will be bland but basically fine, if Veilguard has as many issues as the gameplay reveal and the Game Informer promos indicated it does it's going to be a trashfire. I'm open to being proved wrong though.
Yea, Avowed will be banal boring shit like everything else in the setting. Nobody will play it, much less finish it. Failguard will be a complete dumpsterfire but it'll sell very well due to all the thirsty romohomos that jump over from BG3 (Thanks again Swen for ruining gaming just a little more!)

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I think that Avoided will be a success. Not because it will be good, but because normies are used to Starfield and Failout 76-tier dumbsterphire. Unless the incompetent diversity hires (redundancy) make the game unplayable due to bugs and bad optimization. Now Failguard, I think that has potential to kill BioWare.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yea, Avowed will be banal boring shit like everything else in the setting. Nobody will play it, much less finish it. Failguard will be a complete dumpsterfire but it'll sell very well due to all the thirsty romohomos that jump over from BG3 (Thanks again Swen for ruining gaming just a little more!)
Well, PoE and Deadfire were awesome games, best modern RTwP games (albeit not without issues).

This... I don't have much hope for.
Should have made Pillars 3 instead.

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
Well, PoE and Deadfire were awesome games, best modern RTwP games (albeit not without issues).

This... I don't have much hope for.
Should have made Pillars 3 instead.

I would have much preferred it if Avowed was an isometric RTwP game and I liked the Pillars games well enough (moreso Pillars 1 than the sequel) but I'm not sure where they would have gone with Pillars 3 if they kept the Watcher as the protagonist so I think it's good to move on to a new story in the same world even if I think Pillars-style gameplay would be better. I guess at least they're including a third person mode now, I was on the fence about even getting it when I thought it was going to be first person only.

rubinstein

Educated

wow.jpg

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Was it ever mentioned in Pillars that dwarves have shorter arms? Sure, they have short legs, but their proportions seem to be different. They certainly don't suffer from shorter range in melee, so most likely they resemble apes more, with short legs and long arms.

And obviously they don't lack in upper body strength and contrary to what D&D tells us, that's the most important stat for an archer, especially with composite bow.
They did release two full-body pictures of Sagani. https://pillarsofeternity.fandom.com/wiki/Sagani#Gallery
Hello, archer here. To kill a human or medium-sized game, you don't need a particularly strong bow. Even a larping toy bow with a 15-pound draw weight can penetrate into vital organs effectively under 10 meters. Accuracy is always key.
However, when considering factors like distance, armor, hide, bone, etc., you'll need either thicker or longer bow arms (or both) to generate more power. So, while longer bow arms or a longer draw length do increase shooting power, there's nothing stopping a dwarf from using a small bow with very thick arms to generate, say, a 70-pound grizzly-killing draw weight (or +5 damage on a Runic Short Bow, in fantasy terms)—as long as they have the necessary back strength. Arm strength is also important, but it's secondary in bow shooting.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
12 ports of Skyrim, Skyrim anniversary edition, Skyrim anniversary edition with paid mods,
Elex, Chronicles of Myrtana, Witcher 3, Gedonia, Dread Delusion, and I'm forgetting way more.
Skyrim: 2011, over 13 years before Avowed
Elex: 2017, 7 years ago, an entire console generation
Archolos: 2021, 3 years ago, a mod for an over 20 year old game, really niche
Witcher 3: 2015, 9 years ago
Gedonia: 2022, 2 years ago, but looks like a game for small children
Dread Delusion, 2024, looks like an ugly indie mess

Not seeing much in the way of first person fantasy rpgs for the masses in recent history.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom