Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming February 18th

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Elex: 2017, 7 years ago, an entire console generation
Archolos: 2021, 3 years ago, a mod for an over 20 year old game, really niche
Witcher 3: 2015, 9 years ago
Gedonia: 2022, 2 years ago, but looks like a game for small children
Dread Delusion, 2024, looks like an ugly indie mess
You said 10 years dumbo, you got games in 10 years.
The skyrim one was a joke.

scytheavatar

Scholar
Is there even a large amount of RPG players who give a shit if their game is first or third person? I am not sure there is. In fact I am not sure there are a lot of people who realize what Baldur's Gate 3 was like before they brought it. All they knew was that it's a RPG that is hyped and getting a lot of attention so they probably figured it's like Witcher 3. So I am not sure why Avowed being first person is some big deal.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
IMO among all of the first person "skyrim esque" games, the best one is Tainted Grail : The fall of Avalon. Believe or not, the game is based in Celtic mythology and people look like celts in the game. I know, extremely rare nowadays. About Avoided, I would buy it but steam no longer accepts Argentine pesos and I refuse to pay for a shit product without using a shit coin.

Is there even a large amount of RPG players who give a shit if their game is first or third person?

I prefer first person, even played DDO in FP. But I don't demand it cuz I know that is extremely rare nowadays. Hell, even the Elder Scrolls is no longer a first person game, in Daggerfall and Morrowind, even knocked down animations are in FP, you could play in werewolf form in FP. In Skyrim, everything is "forced third person". Riding a horse? Riding a dragon? Assuming werewolf or vampire lord form? Forced third person. Is so annoying.

In 90s, there was so many great FP RPGs...

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Except for yet another semi-open world-ish action RPG power fantasy,
Feel free to list how many of those that have been released in the past 10 years.
Codex GotY 2022 Elden Ring, Codex GotY 2024 Dragon's Dogma II, and (except not fantasy) Codex GotY 2025 KCD II. +M

ViC5Xak.png

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Appreciate it since it proves that this isn't an oversaturated subgenre.
Like I said, I missed a hell of a lot more. I'm nit arguing the saturation levels, I don't think it exists. They just get hyped more than the rest.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
and also five years ago.

You said 10 years tranny. Memory loss?

Outer Worlds is sci-fi

Who gives a shit?

Patel revealed that in terms of the kind of the narrative structure, Avowed is a lot closer to The Outer Worlds. Patel further explained that similarly to The Outer Worlds, Avowed has a series of open zones that are connected and unlock over the course of the game.

There you go, Avowed is basically Outer Worlds with swords

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
In before Roguey says, b-b-but it's the first RPG... w-with PISTOLS a-and... BLUE-skinned races i-in the last 27 years...

I am certain you Obsidian shills can eventually find a combination that works :lol:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I have a better theory Roguey. Everyone is making the same game over and over again.

The Outer Worlds (Tim Cain's "dream game") is basically a reskin of Fallout 4. Meanwhile Allowed is a reskin of Outer Worlds.

Everyone wants a piece of that TES cake.

damager

Arbiter
Shouldn't making a Skyrim clone be a total slamdunk?

Sawyer must be working on this game for it to tank so hard even before release...

Baron Tahn

Scholar
I think Outer Worlds soured this a bit for me. I dont hate how it looks as much as others but seeing what happened with OW Im just....blergh.

If it turns out to have cool dungeons and reminds me of Arx Fatalis or Ultima Underworld or something then Id be keen for it...I just dont have any faith in the devs or optimism for much here. Im hoping this will surprise me though you never know.

damager

Arbiter
Make a nice world to explore, some dungeon, solid action combat, make the stealth archer build good. Give it a handful spells. Give it some run of the mill story and some whatever quests. And very simplistic RPG systems. It doesn't have to be great art. Skyrim fans have no high standards. They want a polished and simple product.

You only need to produce total mediocrity and they would eat it out the the palm of your hand. Especially when you market it as "the maker of Fallout:NV make a spritual successor to Skyrim". Easy money. Obsidian is really retarded nowadays.

Last edited:

Baron Tahn

Scholar
Yeah they made NV didnt they. Its 8nsane how much better F:NV was to say, Outer Worlds. What happened there?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom