Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming February 18th

Gargaune

Arcane
They guy who wrote Grieving Mother aka verbal diarrhea dispenser? Good fucking riddance.
Also the guy who wrote Durance, genuinely the only memorable character in PoE. So no, not such good riddance.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
They threw out MCA and made the tattowed hipster with autism lead designer

90br6s.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Josh Sawyer had no direct involvement with The Outer Worlds and has no direct involvement with Avowed. He was the game director of Fallout: New Vegas.

Chris Avellone was not that involved with the base game of Fallout: New Vegas, although he was the director of three of its DLCs.

Last edited:

damager

Arbiter
Sawyer couldn't attend Avellones wedding because he had to go to the tattoo appointment of his boyfriend at that day

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Yeah they made NV didnt they. Its 8nsane how much better F:NV was to say, Outer Worlds. What happened there?
One was a game made with another company's engine and tools directed by Josh Sawyer and written by Gen Xers circa 2010, the other was a game made with Unreal, most assets from scratch, directed by Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky and written by Millennials circa 2019.

They threw out MCA
Avellone refused to direct or be a lead and quit the company on his own because he was tired of Feargus and Parker.

Gargaune

Arcane
and grieving mother! I liked her, she was straight out of planescape torment
Yeah, I heard she was well-liked but can't speak to that from experience, I somehow managed to miss her when I went through PoE and I'm not feeling particularly motivated to replay it.

Baron Tahn

Scholar
Yeah they made NV didnt they. Its 8nsane how much better F:NV was to say, Outer Worlds. What happened there?
One was a game made with another company's engine and tools directed by Josh Sawyer and written by Gen Xers circa 2010, the other was a game made with Unreal, most assets from scratch, directed by Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky and written by Millennials circa 2019.
Damn. Thats a long way to fall in only 10 years. Guess I feel the same way about most entertainment industry.

Aarwolf

Learned
One of the most physically revolting characters I've ever had the displeasure of encountering in RPGs. Again: good fucking riddance. Avellone hasn't written anything good since he finished his work on New Vegas.

And that's the point! You're meant to hate him, he's repulsive on so many levels. Yet, in a world filled with likeable friendly and easy to please companions he was like a breath of fresh air.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
One of the most physically revolting characters I've ever had the displeasure of encountering in RPGs. Again: good fucking riddance. Avellone hasn't written anything good since he finished his work on New Vegas.

And that's the point! You're meant to hate him, he's repulsive on so many levels. Yet, in a world filled with likeable friendly and easy to please companions he was like a breath of fresh air.
I've never managed to slog through the game, what's so bad about him? He's a weird old Rasputin looking guy, what else?

Aarwolf

Learned

I've never managed to slog through the game, what's so bad about him? He's a weird old Rasputin looking guy, what else?
He's everything thak modern woketards despise - he's cruel, he's angry (very angry), he constantly challenges the player and, worst of sins, can make a player look like hipocritic moron. Oh, and he's abusive and he's the one who made Grieving Mother what she is today, breaking her physically and most important - mentally. He hates women too and even calls his own goddes (he's a priest) a bitch.

Bonus points for that he decides when you can speak with him and he decides when the talk is over. And he never pats the player on the head.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy

He's everything thak modern woketards despise - he's cruel, he's angry (very angry), he constantly challenges the player and, worst of sins, can make a player look like hipocritic moron. Oh, and he's abusive and he's the one who made Grieving Mother what she is today, breaking her physically and most important - mentally. He hates women too and even calls his own goddes (he's a priest) a bitch.

Bonus points for that he decides when you can speak with him and he decides when the talk is over. And he never pats the player on the head.
Sounds based, what's the problem?

Aarwolf

Learned

Sounds based, what's the problem?
Dunno, I appreciate the guy. I don't have to like somebody to know that he's written in a very competent and engaging way. Apart from two Avellone's NPCs every other NPC ingame was yawn inducing.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
-looks up Durance-

It's what's beneath the skin and the letters I care about, what burns within. It's more important to me you're a Watcher than whatever culture or accent decorates your letters like awkward crowns.

Take pride in your actions, not where you hail from... Or how your name rolls off whatever liar's tongue coats it now.

Someone who's experienced can detect good writing within 50 words.

Nas92

Augur
They threw out MCA
They guy who wrote Grieving Mother aka verbal diarrhea dispenser? Good fucking riddance.
Grieving Mother was an interesting character, but yeah, she could get a bit annoying. I wish the whole Durance - Grieving Mother thing hadn't been cut, I think cutting that probably took a lot out of her character.
Also I wish Durance had been in Deadfire, he's perfect for that story.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Durance and especially Grieving Mother are poorly executed characters that were created by stitching together walls of text written by Chris Avellone after he overscoped their companion quests. Avellone himself basically disavowed their state in the final game.

Some of those walls of text were cool, though.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
"Fantasy RPGS are more popular than sci-fi" was true decades ago, and it still appears to be true.
Sad but accurate, in my impression. Even here on the Codex, the moment any game strays from the same old Forgotten Realms shit there are posts by people saying they're not interested. It's a depressing state of affairs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom