Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming November 12th(?)

Aarwolf

Learned
Yeah, right, like we didn't have to help one asexual lesbian start romancing other lesbian in the past. Peak Obsidian no-romance, 100% RPG gratification.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
1719189958660.png

https://wccftech.com/avowed-confirmed-by-obsidian-to-be-very-short-for-an-rpg/

Possibly a clickbaity title since the pertinent part from the article is

The best comparison for Avowed in terms of scope is The Outer Worlds. Players can expect a roughly similar experience, just like The Outer Worlds, depending on what kind of difficulty they play on, and how thoroughly they explore and invest inside content, versus just sticking to the main crit path missions.

Which is what I assume everyone expected.

How long is TOW? I dunno, I only played like 2 hours and uninstalled. But according to the link:

The main story can be completed in just over 13 hours, while side content doubles that amount to around 26. For comparison, other non-open world RPGs like The Witcher 2 and Dragon Age II require between 24 and 37 hours to complete. With The Outer Worlds, Obsidian had the excuse of a shoestring budget, having picked Take-Two's indie label Private Division as the publisher.

There's so much "manage your expectations" for this game that I'm thoroughly whelmed.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
View attachment 51570

The best comparison for Avowed in terms of scope is The Outer Worlds. Players can expect a roughly similar experience, just like The Outer Worlds, depending on what kind of difficulty they play on, and how thoroughly they explore and invest inside content, versus just sticking to the main crit path missions.

How long is TOW? I dunno, I only played like 2 hours and uninstalled. But according to the link:

The main story can be completed in just over 13 hours, while side content doubles that amount to around 26. For comparison, other non-open world RPGs like The Witcher 2 and Dragon Age II require between 24 and 37 hours to complete. With The Outer Worlds, Obsidian had the excuse of a shoestring budget, having picked Take-Two's indie label Private Division as the publisher.

There's so much "manage your expectations" for this game that I'm thoroughly whelmed.
They had the same "manage your expectations this is a small scale rpg" when people started getting hyped for new Vegas in space (outer worlds).

Microsoft should shut them down, they bring nothing of worth to the Xbox brand, and they can only member berries new Vegas so many times.

Yosharian

Arcane
View attachment 51570

Too fucking long with the DLCs

But that was mainly because it was shit

jf8350143

Liturgist
Outer Worlds is longer than DA 2(unless you count DA 2's DLC but not Outer Worlds'). I don't know what the media is smoking but you definately don't need 37 hours to finish DA 2(even with the two DLC).

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
A shorter non-rpg is better than a longer non-rpg, so that's a plus. "A walking sim with dialogue" sounds like an accurate bargain at this point.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

48 hours as a completionist.

holy shit shorter then dragon age 2. This year is shit for crpgs.

Dragon Age II's length is extremely padded. You don't want games that pad their length with garbage.

Bloodlines can be completed in 17-23 hours if you only do the main quest, 40 if you do everything. Even then the critical path content gets awful and overly-long near the end.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
It is a I believe longer than TOW but similar in scope. That's there are few hubs and regions with a bit of forking narrative rather than being an open world exploration game.

Which is fine, I think the bethesda-ubisoft combination formula (with "RPG elements") that every action game is going for nowadays is way overdone and also creates shallow games. Any issues with awavered won't be because of its length and scope. Problem with TOW isn't its length or scope either.

I would even say the less Obsidian tries to do grand scale epic games the better, they really can't do that and in both PoE1/2 best content is in the more limited scope areas. They were chasing that BG2 scale with PoE1/2 and failed miserably. They would probably fail at Skyrim scale too.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
who was 4th astronaut on the moon?
The point was that someone that's only been here for nine years is trying to talk down to someone that was here from the beginning. Who was the 4th man on the moon? Someone who was probably more important than the 3rd from the last man on the moon.

How long is TOW?
This would be fine if there's a lot of replay value to it. Is Obsidian even still up for having a lot of options in how to handle things at this point?

Cross

Arcane

Dragon Age II's length is extremely padded. You don't want games that pad their length with garbage.
Dragon Age 2 is horrible, but it was developed in roughly a year.

Avowed has been in development for 6 (!) years. They didn't start from scratch, since The Outer Worlds gave them the framework for a (crappy) first-person RPG to work with. And all they managed to produce after those 6 years is 4 shallow companions, braindead Skyrim-tier combat, a small game world and reduced reactivity (you can't kill NPCs or ditch companions).

Feargus must be funding a second vacation home with all the money he's fleecing from Microsoft.

Lemming42

Arcane
Yeah while the hub planets system sucks, I don't have a problem with TOW's length or structure, it's more the fact that every second of that short runtime is extremely unenjoyable due to the actual content of the game. Someone could make a decent game in that framework but my faith that these people are capable of it is near zero.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Avowed has been in development for 6 (!) years. They didn't start from scratch, since The Outer Worlds gave them the framework for a (crappy) first-person RPG to work with. And all they managed to produce after those 6 years is 4 shallow companions, braindead Skyrim-tier combat, a small game world and reduced reactivity (you can't kill NPCs or ditch companions).
They had some tools yes, but they had to make pretty much all systems and assets from scratch. There was also a false start when they tried to make a more ambitious game. Additionally, there's now a no-crunch/no-overtime culture in the game industry, and remote work thanks to covid really knocked down productivity.

What this means is that Sonic here got his way:
2d0

Yosharian

Arcane

Dragon Age 2 is horrible, but it was developed in roughly a year.

Feargus must be funding a second vacation home with all the money he's fleecing from Microsoft.
Wait what. 6 years? Are you joking?

Yosharian

Arcane
They had some tools yes, but they had to make pretty much all systems and assets from scratch. There was also a false start when they tried to make a more ambitious game. Additionally, there's now a no-crunch/no-overtime culture in the game industry, and remote work thanks to covid really knocked down productivity.

What this means is that Sonic here got his way:
2d0
People should be paid more though. It's disgusting how much execs get paid (whether it's bonuses or just salary) compared to grunts

Execs that, let's not forget, are usually responsible for ruining the fucking games they're in charge of

Yosharian

Arcane
Additionally, 'longer games' usually just means that the game has been crammed full of filler content and/or artificially lengthened by introducing grind where it doesn't belong

If that's what a long game means these days then I'll take a short game quite happily

Also, 'better graphics' often just means some guy got paid to render someone's testicles in 4k and the result is as pretty to look at as you might imagine

I remember when Elden Ring came out and everyone said the graphics were shit, if that's the case I'll take the worse graphics over highly polished shit that passes for 'graphics' these days

Cross

Arcane
When I searched for a date I found this.

https://www.reddit.com/r/avowed/comments/micynk/avowed_has_been_in_development_for_two_and_a_half/

Jorge Salgado, Lead Area Designer at Obsidian, mentions he's been on Avowed since late 2018.

source: Linkedin

"I'm currently Lead Area Designer on an Project Avowed since late 2018, after helping a very talented and focused team with the gameplay and level design foundation of Grounded (2020)."

On second thought, it says that he's been working on it since late 2018, not that it started development then. That could mean it has been in development for even longer. :dead:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
On second thought, it says that he's been working on it since late 2018, not that it started development then. That could mean it has been in development for even longer.
It obviously started when MS bought Obsidian (who else would pay for it?), so late 2018.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
On second thought, it says that he's been working on it since late 2018, not that it started development then. That could mean it has been in development for even longer.
It obviously started when MS bought Obsidian (who else would pay for it?), so late 2018.
Wasn't Avowed their sales pitch to MS? Meaning they had at least done a bit of pre-production already?

ferratilis

Magister
When I searched for a date I found this.

https://www.reddit.com/r/avowed/comments/micynk/avowed_has_been_in_development_for_two_and_a_half/

Jorge Salgado, Lead Area Designer at Obsidian, mentions he's been on Avowed since late 2018.

source: Linkedin

"I'm currently Lead Area Designer on an Project Avowed since late 2018, after helping a very talented and focused team with the gameplay and level design foundation of Grounded (2020)."

On second thought, it says that he's been working on it since late 2018, not that it started development then. That could mean it has been in development for even longer. :dead:
That guy is not at Obsidian anymore, even though he was one of the better level designers (Raedric Hold, Fort Deadlight). The leadership was probably flip-flopping so much between different design ideas that he just decided to leave.

Lemming42

Arcane
I know Microsoft are an amoral mega-corporation but I actually feel bad for how hard they got scammed here. I'm feeling the type of sympathy I normally only feel for lonely old women who fall victim to romance scammers. This is the videogame equivalent of cowboy builders. Imagine someone pitching to you being like "we're making the next Skyrim!" and you're like "wow!" and you keep sending money over then six years later it's just Avowed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom