Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming November 12th(?)

Hobo Elf

Arcane
It's probably a prequel. That would make more sense than trying to Invisible War the ending of Deadfire.
The only relevant thing you need to mention from Deadfire is that the Wheel is destroyed since iirc that happens regardless of who you side with. Everything else is pretty much just contained to the region and not necessarily important on a global scale.

Maybe they will fix the most glaring flaw with the Pillars universe in Avowed:

After the hero fixes the soulless children curse, people will be like, why the fuck are we calling kobolds xaurips, and vampires fampyrs, and the Irish as Glanfanfanthans?

duskvile

Fabulous Optimist
Gods are artificial creation of Engwith (spoilers). Maybe we could face the creation of the god in Avowed.

After the hero fixes the soulless children curse, people will be like, why the fuck are we calling kobolds xaurips, and vampires fampyrs, and the Irish as Glanfanfanthans?
If one would call ublyhonsorutog, an blood sucking creature of the night, it would get confusing. And if you would call it a vampire, it would sound maybe too modern or cliche.

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
They never won back Codex street cred after they released Witcher 3, ...
iseewhatyoudid.png
You mean Codex GotY 2015 The Witcher 3, and it seems a portion of the Codex that doesn't care for the TW3 base game nonetheless enjoys the expansions (at least, the second, larger expansion). :M
Maybe if you read threads instead of polls, you'd notice the reputation hit they got after they released the game, and that despite whatever some poll may say, the game is never talked about in the sense of being a good RPG.
I can't blame you for not reading Porky's posts, but

Witcher 3 is a masterpiece.
Some people seem to have misinterpreted my post as an endorsement of The Witcher 3, when I merely wanted to avoid deluding ourselves into thinking that all Codexers have monocled tastes. There are even some who are fans of Baldur's Gate. :M

You like Morronwind, Doink of Banville. Prosecution rests.
The defence calls for evidence of Morrowind not being one of the best attempts at Best RPG of all time.

Oh ho ho, bad move, porksecutor...

Evidence:

Exhibit A: Shit combat (literally spam LMB)
Exhibit B: Empty and dead feeling world due to:
1. No scheduling of NPCs, moving around the same spot like clockwork bots or standing in one spot (Gothic and Ultima VII had extensive NPC schedules by this point, or years earlier)
2. No dialogue voiceovers, a big no no for 1st/3rd person RPGs
3. Wikipedia dialogue
4. Low flora and fauna variety, low enemy variety
Exhibit C: Shit exploration due to extensive copy-pasta of PoIs: literally 6-7 templates (daedric shrine, cave, fort, vampire tomb, etc) copied and pasted 50 times to attempt the illusion of a large world
Exhibit D. No faction exclusivity for the most part, join every fucking club in the world
Exhibit E. Cliff-racers. Enough said.

:hmmm:

Evidence:

Oh look, it's another retard who doesn't know how Morrowind combat works. Let me guess. You also used the Iron Dagger for the first 6 hours of the game?

What's that have to do with anything? Morronwind combat was exactly the same shit whether you used a dagger or any other weapon. I am guessing you are referring to different directional attacks, if they can be called that, except that for each weapon, one was always superior in damage, so there was no point to use any other. Or do you mean hold LMB for more damage? Lol.

Gahbreeil

Learned
1. The combat in Morrowind is meant to be reminiscent of Daggerfall, the most expansive of all Role-Playing Games./Is it at all similar to the combat in the Baldur's Gate series? Did you enjoy the aforementioned isometric RPGs? The queries are meant to establish whether the prosecution is not full of sh*t.
2. The defence calls for a comparison of the amount of Non-Playable Characters in Gothic and Morrowind. There is no voice over in most TTRPGs. The defence would like to remind the prosecution that RPGs are a derivative of the TTRPG. Wikipedia dialogues are a novel invention. Point 4 of exhibit B is approved.
3. Exhibit C is approved.
4. Exhibit D is approved.
5. Cliff-racers. Approved.

Well, I seem to have lost 3 and a 1/4 points. Allow me to explain why I decided to take up the defence of Morrowind. The entire gameplay is really good.

What I mean is... What if Daggerfall was updated to be Morrowind? That would be a fantastic waste of time. What if Oblivion or Skyrim were not dumbed down versions of Morrowind? What if Bethesda actually had any marbles, focused on Morrowind and did not port it to consoles?

Butter

Arcane
Patron

Evidence:

Oh look, it's another retard who doesn't know how Morrowind combat works. Let me guess. You also used the Iron Dagger for the first 6 hours of the game?

What's that have to do with anything? Morronwind combat was exactly the same shit whether you used a dagger or any other weapon. I am guessing you are referring to different directional attacks, if they can be called that, except that for each weapon, one was always superior in damage, so there was no point to use any other. Or do you mean hold LMB for more damage? Lol.
Yes, you're literally supposed to do that. Spamming causes you to deal significantly less damage per point of fatigue, and it drains your fatigue faster so you hit less.

jungl

Augur
https://youtu.be/poqd7Sq8TSc Doubt avowed is going to have any rpg simulation if its cookie cutter theme park cash grab like outer worlds. How hard is it to code npcs like bandits recognizing how powerful the pc is through his achievements? Volcanoe princess does this with sort of with admirers and fame. Elder scrolls used to have fame statistic where it was cool being a obscure mook in morrowind then guards hailing you as a hero.

I'm expecting all flash and no substance.

Delterius

Arcane
the trailer is nothing unexpected. it even looks and feels like TESO. that said i was not prepared for the 20 minute In Memorian For Our Lead Designers that followed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom