Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming November 12th(?)

Delterius

Arcane
avowed doesn't look janky enough to capture the gothic audience, what the hell are they doing

Tenebris

Scholar
I've been having lower and lower expectations from Obsidian and they somehow continue to lower the bar further and further. What a disappointment. I actually really liked PoE and parts of Deadfire so I had a bit more hope for this.

KVVRR

Learned
Budget-wise looks similar to The Outer Worlds (ie, not top of the line AAAA). It doesn't look like a mobile game or a game from 2006, get real.

The outdoor locations have a somewhat more desaturated look than TOW did, indoors it's more similar.
The saturation was one of the things that made the overworld in TOW stand out though, alongside the skyboxes and futuristic buildings. For better or worse. Removing that only makes this look rather bland.

It isn't a mobile game sure, but come on, it's a fantasy IP that you're aiming at a public that has never touched your previous entries on it. You need to have something to hook them with.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Budget-wise looks similar to The Outer Worlds (ie, not top of the line AAAA). It doesn't look like a mobile game or a game from 2006, get real.

The outdoor locations have a somewhat more desaturated look than TOW did, indoors it's more similar.
The saturation was one of the things that made the overworld in TOW stand out though, alongside the skyboxes and futuristic buildings. For better or worse. Removing that only makes this look rather bland.

It isn't a mobile game sure, but come on, it's a fantasy IP that you're aiming at a public that has never touched your previous entries on it. You need to have something to hook them with.

I guess they're hooking them with the shameless Elder Scrolls ripoff opening sequence. :slamdunk:

La vie sexuelle

Learned
I remember this as it was yesterday - Josh announces new game. Like Baldurs Gate, but serious, with guns, rennesance at adult psychology. Then I got Forgotten Realms imitation witch irritating companions, pointless dungeon, no-fun-allowed gameplay, bloated writing, pompous tone and very dumb story. A sequel was bigger, even more dumb and pointless, overall pointless. And there we are, in another colorful game from the first person perspective. The trailer doesn't show that, but we, probably, got also a lot The Outer Words humour and characterisation.

So, what is moral? "Everything could become worse", methinks.

Ryzer

Arcane
What's the percentage of this game being either good or awful shit?

I bet on 30% chance being good and 70% chance being derp.

On the other hand, if they understood why Skyrim is kinda shit and get it right, it could be good...

right?
:hahyou:

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane

The outdoor locations have a more desaturated look than TOW did, indoors it's more similar.

coping 101

Looks like a conversion mod to outer worlds at best.
The worst part is that this looks completely soulless.

Like Skyrim looks more interesting than this. And judging what they did with Outer Worlds it will be probably less deep than Skyrim lol.

Old Hans

Arcane
I cant wait to see the loads of pointless garbage loot they make you pick up for the uninspired crafting system so you can finally craft the blue color coded +1% critical hit damage sword

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't know why people are acting like this is some kind of letdown.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I was expecting a janky TES clone. And what I see... can maaaybe scratch that Dark Messiah itch?

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
This game is gonna be trash. Every game with a pretentious voiceover non-enginge graphics trailer is automagically garbage tier. This is just like the trailer for Tours and Tournaments for CK3. The trailers have nothing to do with how the game works! Lifestyle advertising for video games. Like when cig, beer, or drug commercials show people having a pool party or playing beach volleyball with hot mid 20s girls.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
This game is gonna be trash. Every game with a pretentious voiceover non-enginge graphics trailer is automagically garbage tier. This is just like the trailer for Tours and Tournaments for CK3. The trailers have nothing to do with how the game works! Lifestyle advertising for video games. Like when cig, beer, or drug commercials show people having a pool party or playing beach volleyball with hot mid 20s girls.

It is in-engine trailer.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I even went and rewatched the OG trailer, much better in every way, the new one is reverse slamdunk. :negative:
Wtf is this revisionism, the announcement trailer was a nothing graphical tech demo.
I agree that "in every way" is too strong, but comparing the new WoW coloring book style to the moody grey of the announcement trailer is a disappointment.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Obsidian once, with creations so grand,
Avowed’s trailer, we just couldn't stand.
The game was a bore,
Like a bard's drunken snore,
Better off playing with our own hand.

Last edited:

Ryzer

Arcane
I feel bad for Shillingitron, years of shilling obsitrash games only provoked even more hatred toward Obshitian.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom