Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming November 12th(?)

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
CEO Feargus Urquhart told me that in scope Avowed is more akin to Obsidian's past RPGs like The Outer Worlds in size than it is a sprawling open world a la Skyrim, though that was actually Obsidian's initial pitch. When the developers sat down and focused on what Obsidian does best—stories and companions, in particular—the more compact scale came naturally.

"Came naturally" i.e. development was such a disaster and they lost multiple leads until they decided to scale back.

"In most of our games companions have been optional, which I think offers a wonderful degree of choice to players, but it means there's a limit to how deeply you can tie them into the core story. With Avowed we decided companions are going to be core. They're going to be part of the experience. And that means we can invest so much more in them and tie them much more closely, and personally, to the events and the parts of the world the player is encountering."
Ugh, mandatory companions. :negative:

You know even Planescape Torment didn't have mandatory companions.

And can they die?

This time there was a pause. "You'll have to see," Patel said. Until 2024, then.

That is, they'll be immortal unless the story kills them.
I had to take a break from reading that article when it reminded me that the brainlet dangerhair is in charge. On second thought, who am I fooling, there is no one at Obsidian who would have done a decent job.

0sacred

poop retainer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut

"In most of our games companions have been optional, which I think offers a wonderful degree of choice to players, but it means there's a limit to how deeply you can tie them into the core story. With Avowed we decided companions are going to be core. They're going to be part of the experience. And that means we can invest so much more in them and tie them much more closely, and personally, to the events and the parts of the world the player is encountering."
Ugh, mandatory companions. :negative:

You know even Planescape Torment didn't have mandatory companions.

They went full JRPG

Perkel

Arcane
Can't wait for their system presentation.

LVL 10 achieved.

Make a choice :

+1% to archery damage
+1% to melee damage
+1% to magic damage
WILDCARD - food items are 2% more effective and you get "Yummy stake !" - +5% to attack speed for 2 minutes.

RepHope

Savant
Looks very rough. Clearly has been through dev hell and I’m sure Feargus keeps getting involved and making things worse. Doesn’t bode well for Obsidian that even with MS money they can seemingly only put out shit that looks like AA shovelware.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I can see a bright future a few years from now where MS does some corporate optimization and merges Obsidian with Bethesda.

Luka-boy

Arcane
YigEaLh.png

jungl

Augur
looks like the same old brainlet shit like outerworlds. Why is it hard to make a fps like arx fatalis where gameplay does not consist entirely of moving forward and mindless combat.

Dishonoredbr

Erudite
The meelee combat seems whatever but magic seems pretty good imo.

Ice magic actually freeze shit and let you break them, ''Void'' magic as Crownd Control, some vines to hold enemies in places. Even has a AOE Earth ground pound. I want to see what they do with Magic honestly.

Tenebris

Scholar
Are we again in new RPG decline ? Seems like those things come and go in waves.
It'll be fine. In a decade or so we'll get a kickstarter from industry vets that want to make an old style RPG. Then after the first game they will decline and the cycle will happen again.

Smerlus

Educated
Really surprised how they have M$ money now and they made a game that looks like a Piranha Bytes Kickstarter game.

Also not happy with the POE meets TOW scope of the game.

Seems like Obsidian will just be used to safely pad the Game pass RPG numbers while Bethesda gets to kick out the blockbusters

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire

LVL 10 achieved.

Make a choice :

+1% to archery damage
+1% to melee damage
+1% to magic damage
WILDCARD - food items are 2% more effective and you get "Yummy stake !" - +5% to attack speed for 2 minutes.

They had already fixed that by deadfire, most of the passive abilities are in tune of stuff like 20% hit to crit, 15% faster attacks or 25% damage and what not. You have particular builds with fighter or rogue that can easily go over 200% damage modifiers when combining things like attacks of opportunity, sneak attacks, weapon modifiers and unique weapon abilities. It was actually a bit too much by end game especially for rogue dual classes that got into death blows, easily getting 100% damage permanently because it was too easy to get two debuffs on enemy to trigger sneak attack and deathblows.

Problem with Deadfire isn't the character system, that was actually decent, the problem was everything else. Particularly the "solution" Sawyer came up with armor & penetration. Also just the writing being tiresome and exhausting.

Perkel

Arcane

LVL 10 achieved.

Make a choice :

+1% to archery damage
+1% to melee damage
+1% to magic damage

They had already fixed that by deadfire, most of the passive abilities are in tune of stuff like 20% hit to crit, 15% faster attacks or 25% damage and what not. You have particular builds with fighter or rogue that can easily go over 200% damage modifiers when combining things like attacks of opportunity, sneak attacks, weapon modifiers and unique weapon abilities. It was actually a bit too much by end game especially for rogue dual classes that got into death blows, easily getting 100% damage permanently because it was too easy to get two debuffs on enemy to trigger sneak attack and deathblows.

Problem with Deadfire isn't the character system, that was actually decent, the problem was everything else. Particularly the "solution" Sawyer came up with armor & penetration. Also just the writing being tiresome and exhausting.

I was talking about Outer Words which was released year after Deadfire and went back to this garbage design of +5%.

KIss My Ass

Patron
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Codex+ Now Streaming!
That trailer was the most banal shit boring generic crap I ever seen. They literally just made Skyrim 2. Why do people like Obsidian again?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom