Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Also I never found minsc funny & I've never used him in BG. I guess he strikes all the "lolsoquirky and zany!" later millennial buttons. You know, despite his condition being the result of brain damage or somesuch.
Yeah, I think it was already established that his really low Int and Wis are the result of brain damage.

Codex Year of the Donut
No wonder Larian likes him so much.
something vastly underrepresented on the codex is minsc fanboyism, it was basically impossible anywhere else to discuss BG without someone saying "GO FOR THE EYES BOO! XD" since the games released.
I never understood it, but minsc has always been the most popular character from the series.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Minsc is just outclassed and outgunned by other companions.
Korgan is a killing machine, pure and simple.
Keldorn is an Inquisitor. True Sight and a massively overpowered Dispel? Hell yes, baby!
Anomen is a Fighter/Cleric. Has so many different ways to buff himself and lay the smackdown on enemies, not to mention other useful divine spells.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
something vastly underrepresented on the codex is minsc fanboyism, it was basically impossible anywhere else to discuss BG without someone saying "GO FOR THE EYES BOO! XD" since the games released.
I never understood it, but minsc has always been the most popular character from the series.
He's an early example of representation in games. In this case he represents the low IQ Reddit crowd, which also is Larians audience.

"You...you...are a SMART one! I understand what you did. You said what you did, just to get me mad!"

Last edited:

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
a8v1rfatea931.png

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Reverse them and it's accurate.

Charname: "But we could try bringing his body to a temp-"
Jaheira: "SHUT THE FUCK UP HE'S DEAD."

Incognito

Backlog incliner
Patron
I can’t wait for the new and improved Jaheira to go “Yeees OH OMNIPRESENT AUTHORITY FIGURE?!”

original.jpg

Last edited:

Larianshill

Arbiter
Lmao, look at reddit right now. They are having a meltdown arguing whether or not paladin should fall for killing goblins (hint: they believe that killing goblins is bad, unless you are acting in self-defense).

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
When you write games for general audiences, it's important to keep in mind how stupid that audience is, so you need to keep to simple tropes.

Misnc -> stoopid big man with cool hamster

Viconia -> big-boobie drow

Edwin -> evil wizard, turns into lady for lol

Complex characters -> ?????? We forgor

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Lmao, look at reddit right now. They are having a meltdown arguing whether or not paladin should fall for killing goblins (hint: they believe that killing goblins is bad, unless you are acting in self-defense).

Links? I wanna laugh.

Killing goblins is a civic duty.

Low level adventures should be committing a goblin genocide.
Mid level adventures should be committing a orc genocide
High level adventures should be committing a drow genocide.

Simple as that.

Codex Year of the Donut
If the infant orc was not able to reason, the paladin would not slay it, possibly see to its care somewhere until it reached a state where reason was possible; but if and when the immature humanoid was able to reason, the paladin would make it swear its rejection of evil, confess its adherance to LG, and then execute it before it could recant. Thus the orc would be guaranteed acceptence in a more benign afterlife.

Cheers,
Gary

Codex Year of the Donut
I disagree with you. Their stat sheets list a general weal for the race as a whole.

The way DnD seems to be going, is that there is a lot more agency for individuals within a race to be something other than their racial stereotype. Which is just fine. I actually support that.

I'm totally fine with, "You made nice with a goblin and then killed it. Your Oath breaks."

I'm totally fine with, "You randomly attacked a goblin for no damn reason at all other than to take their rusty sword and to practice swinging your hammer.. Your Oath breaks.

I have an issue with, "These goblins have proven to be evil. And then the game makes it difficult to just attack these evil goblins.

My issue is that even with all of that as background context, these goblins have already demonstrated their willingness to attack a druid grove and some refugees on the road. There is no in game context given for the idea that the refugees did something to the goblins first to incite their attacks. Nor for the druid grove to have incited the attack.

Every bit of context you can draw from the game indicates that the goblins are setting up shop in a nearby abandoned temple, and are the aggressors in this story. Even without meta knowledge, you can pick all of that up just by defending the druid grove and talking to everyone in the grove.

Goblins in general might still be N.E. Goblins in general might have agency, but these goblins have already demonstrated their choices.

Codex Year of the Donut
races species are basically just visuals at this point, D&D has been WoWified. They do nothing and don't matter at all beyond a tiny bit of fluff, this is considered diversity by libtards.

Larianshill

Arbiter
I guess somewhere along the way paladin stopped being the knight for justice in the people's imaginations, and started being a toothless cuck only capable of starting petitions and writing letters to his congressman to stop evil.

Larianshill

Arbiter
The arguments are not about baby orcs. I think most people would agree that killing a baby orc is wrong, unless we are talking about complete ancient OSR, where all orcs were always irredeemably evil. The goblins in question are enemy combatants. The only issue is, they are not actively killing anyone right now. Can a paladin walk into the stronghold of goblin cultists and start killing goblins? Most people would say yes, reddit says no.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom