Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
A Barbarian's rage is his amour-propre, which protects against the kind of attacks to which the civilized are particularly weak, whatever mail they've devised in their workshops and forges.

https://www.bartleby.com/113/1008.html

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
It's "how can I shove my axe more efficiently in that orc's skull while I rage like a bloodthirsty maniac?" .
zH1WMWl.png

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Lmao, they get some fag from critical role to voice Minsc instead of Jim Cummings. Pathetic.
I predicted that Matt Mercer did Minsc before as a joke and sounded just like him. If not the original voice actor that is quite old he is the perfect secondary choice.

Reinhardt

Arcane
i call this cultural appropriation, minsk should be voiced by bat'ka or by some of his loyal subjects.

It could be worse, but it's not very good. He does OK with catch-phrases, but everything else quickly turns into something vaguely middle eastern Antonio Bandaris. His tone is too soft and inflection too even. He lacks boisterousness.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

It could be worse, but it's not very good. He does OK with catch-phrases, but everything else quickly turns into something vaguely middle eastern Antonio Bandaris. His tone is too soft and inflection too even. He lacks boisterousness.

I have an hunch this guy has never actually played the BG games.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

I have an hunch this guy has never actually played the BG games.

What's funny is that he probably did, which makes it worse.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
Lmao, they get some fag from critical role to voice Minsc instead of Jim Cummings. Pathetic.
I predicted that Matt Mercer did Minsc before as a joke and sounded just like him. If not the original voice actor that is quite old he is the perfect secondary choice.
Jim Cummings was MeToo'd by Mrs. Cummings because he was too horny all the time.
Which is weird, I would assume she knew what she was getting into when she took that name.

For the little I care about Minsc, I think he actually does a solid job, and inside the limits of the lines given he sounds more natural/less cartoony than the original.

But I guess nostalgic feelings plus Codex trademark autism are going to mix and translate into the claim that Cummings was some oscar-worthy, unmatchable legend or something.

Shrimp

Arbiter
Daily reminder that if the original BG games came out in 2022 (soon to be 2023) Minsc would be widely despised as a companion that belonged in a Borderlands game

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Barbarians wearing little armor should be both a pro and a cons for them, but they SHOULD be wearing very little because that's the entire point of even having a barbarian as a class.

Like I said, armor is not usually your main priority as a barbarian berserker.
It's "how can I shove my axe more efficiently in that orc's skull while I rage like a bloodthirsty maniac?" .
Funnily enough Conan himself always had a shirt of mail when he could find one.
A Barbarian's rage is his amour-propre, which protects against the kind of attacks to which the civilized are particularly weak, whatever mail they've devised in their workshops and forges.
Of course. The best defense is an overwhelming offense.

Tuco Benedicto Pacifico I guess I will represent the autism here. Mercer is OK at mimicking the original lines, but its just not translated to the new.

Minsc's expressing is choppy, with frequent changes in volume. His inflection is never calm, but enthusiastic. Minsc's accent is also more Russian in pronunciation than...Mercer's Antonio Bandaris. Minsc slaps you with words like a glorious bank hand across the smug face of evil. Mercer was more or less just doing Rassad.
[/Autism]

I’m sorry, but I can’t take any of your nitpicks seriously when I have some of the lines from Cummings fresh in my mind (since I was just toying around with BG2 again few days ago) and I had to face how caricaturai and artificial most of them sounded.

It sounds like you started with a distaste for the news and worked retroactively to rationalize it.

Case in point: the delivery on “Why do we stop, my friend?” from the short clip above manages to sound less stiff and more part of an actual conversation than most (any?) of the original Minsc lines I can remember.

Gradenmayer

Learned
Who gives a fuck about ratfucker Minsc. They did not show monk and announced there will be no other big updates until release in August. I will have to wait until the release to see if monk is cool or not :(

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Who gives a fuck about ratfucker Minsc. They did not show monk and announced there will be no other big updates until release in August. I will have to wait until the release to see if monk is cool or not :(
I agree with this, because I like Monks as well. Coupled with all the politics... I have a feeling I will have to wait even more. Right now I can't justify a day 1 purchase to myself, sadly.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
I do. Not so much the putative ratfucking, but the character was a memorable one and enjoyable to play.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I agree with this, because I like Monks as well. Coupled with all the politics... I have a feeling I will have to wait even more. Right now I can't justify a day 1 purchase to myself, sadly.

Monk in 5e is just a less effective fighter that can stunlock and has a resource that's cool until you reach like level 5 and realize that for the next 15 levels you're a low-damage punchbot.

My powergaming side says there's no real reason not to play sorcadin every time, all the time.

5e is designed by gerbils.

:bunkertime:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom