Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In

It could be worse, but it's not very good. He does OK with catch-phrases, but everything else quickly turns into something vaguely middle eastern Antonio Bandaris. His tone is too soft and inflection too even. He lacks boisterousness.

Doom poster cope. He's quite decent. Both Jaheira and Minsc's actors are doing a great job. Especially this guy.

I have an hunch this guy has never actually played the BG games.
Idk, the guy who plays Astarion did. It was a pretty popular game, and he looks the right age to have played it.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Barbarians wearing little armor should be both a pro and a cons for them, but they SHOULD be wearing very little because that's the entire point of even having a barbarian as a class.

Like I said, armor is not usually your main priority as a barbarian berserker.
It's "how can I shove my axe more efficiently in that orc's skull while I rage like a bloodthirsty maniac?" .
Funnily enough Conan himself always had a shirt of mail when he could find one.
Gary Gygax's conception of the barbarian class from Unearthed Arcana gave them an extra bonus to armor class from having higher than the minimum dexterity of 14 but eliminated this extra bonus if they wore armor that was "bulky" or "fairly bulky", which meant anything heavier than leather armor:
Barbarians gain a bonus to their armor class of 2 steps for every point of dexterity over 14, but only if the armor worn is not of the fairly bulky or bulky type. If fairly bulky or bulky armor is worn, the bonus is + 1 per point over 14. This replaces the Defensive Adjustment for dexterity given to other classes [the normal dexterity bonus to armor class is 1 per point above 14, therefore equal to the barbarian bonus when wearing fairly bulky or bulky armor].
However, leather armor gives an armor class of 8 (improves it by 2 steps) versus an armor class of 3 (improvement by 7 steps) for plate mail, meaning that even a barbarian with 18 dexterity would still be better off wearing plate mail over leather armor. :M

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
For the little I care about Minsc, I think he actually does a solid job, and inside the limits of the lines given he sounds more natural/less cartoony than the original.

But I guess nostalgic feelings plus Codex trademark autism are going to mix and translate into the claim that Cummings was some oscar-worthy, unmatchable legend or something.
Speaking of, who are considered to be the "good" voice actors of the current generation?

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
lkwk47dvmqo41.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
For the little I care about Minsc, I think he actually does a solid job, and inside the limits of the lines given he sounds more natural/less cartoony than the original.

But I guess nostalgic feelings plus Codex trademark autism are going to mix and translate into the claim that Cummings was some oscar-worthy, unmatchable legend or something.
Speaking of, who are considered to be the "good" voice actors of the current generation?

I think most of the "name" voice actors are pretty good. While not everybody can be a voice actor, it strikes me as one of those jobs where the potential supply greatly outweighs the demand. There are more than enough people out there with a decent vocal range. That's why many of the "name" voice actors today seem to be YouTube self-promoters (Critical Role, etc) who are also often conspicuously physically attractive (eg, female characters voiced by Ashly Burch or Laura Bailey often end up looking somewhat like them). You have to bring something extra to break into the industry.

At the AAA level, casting direction is a more important factor - matching the correct actors to roles.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The first name that pops into my mind from the past generations as outstanding is Michael Ironside. I only remember him for Sam Fisher from games, but thinking of cartoons, he is more than half of Batman's character from the WB animated series.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Michael Ironside is a B-tier Hollywood actor who also does voice acting, that's a whole other thing.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Maybe Ironside is one of those guys who only have one character in them but they make it superb. In contrast, when I looked up Ashly Burch, I found the only game with her I've played was the Baba Yaga DLC for Tomb Raider 2013. So I can't really comment on her versatilty as a voice actor. As for Laura Bailey, the only
games featuring her VA that I've playerd are DAI and Deadfire, so I can't judge her either.

I remember being surprised to learn Matt Mercer voiced both Aloth and Eder, so that shows you how much of an ear I have for voice actors :)

Michael Ironside is a B-tier Hollywood actor who also does voice acting, that's a whole other thing.
This shouldn't disqualify him from the comparisons IMO. I remember Tim Curry being in Dragon Age Origins for example.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I'm not a Minsc fan, but Mercer sounds nothing like him. Not sure why they didn't hire Cummings since he still does work today.

AwesomeButton

Patron
For Mercer's Minsc - I guess if I wasn't watching him and only listening, I would think this guy does a very good impression of Minsc, but it wouldn't be something to annoy me. With BG/II I'm at the stage of "it's just a children's game, whaterver" anyway.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath

Higher dev budget

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
My powerful gaming side laughs at your powegaming. Laughs, from atop his mountain.
Barbarian is the only pure martial class worth anything in 5e, imo. And I suppose, specific critfishing fighter builds too.

I'll back that up by saying they have HP sustainability and can essentially do all the things that a melee Fighter does, but better (besides high-level damage).

For nearly its entire history DnD has shat on martial classes.

But of course, instead of balancing their shitty excuse of a combat simulator, Wizards decided to make Drow good guyz now.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
I am cool with BG3. Either it comes out of EA a good game--thanks Lathander for that--or bad, and thank you campaign modders in advance for using ENBSeries filters.

Black

Arcane
I like that Larian's transformation into an AAA dev is complete. Now even the small things like VA choices aren't done by pretending they're looking for the best person suited for the job but instead looking for the choice that will give them the most gigglesquees on social media.

Codex Year of the Donut
Fighter was a beginner class. You were expected to play ranger or paladin(also fighters) as a more advanced player.
Along the way the latter part was lost but the former never really changed. Fighters ended up in a very weird place due to poor design.

Also, fighters had a lot of base management/follower stuff at higher levels that was thrown out.

Classes like paladin and ranger are something that I'd describe as true prestige classes(contrasted to what 3E ended up using the word for.) They were much more powerful and more difficult to play, with additional restrictions and rules placed upon the player.

You still have classes that are treated this way(to a significantly lesser degree) but are no longer inherently mechanically superior. It's no surprise that rangers & paladins would therefore get more extra content than fighters in this light.

edit:
and you really weren't expected to play evil at all in O/AD&D, if you're wondering why both ranger and paladin have some form of good restriction with no proper evil counterpart.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
Also I never found minsc funny & I've never used him in BG. I guess he strikes all the "lolsoquirky and zany!" later millennial buttons. You know, despite his condition being the result of brain damage or somesuch.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
For Mercer's Minsc - I guess if I wasn't watching him and only listening, I would think this guy does a very good impression of Minsc, but it wouldn't be something to annoy me. With BG/II I'm at the stage of "it's just a children's game, whaterver" anyway.

He is pretty good but he is noticably worse than the original VA, who is still alive and working today.

But seeing the tenuous connection to the original games in literally every single aspect it might be a good thing to distance yourself from them.

Regardless, I doubt I will be playing this. Unlike the broader codex i couldn't stand DoS2 and this mostly seems like a higher fidelity version with worse music. My only hope is that they release the toolset and that the popularity of the game and ruleset makes people create their own adventures using it.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
This shouldn't disqualify him from the comparisons IMO. I remember Tim Curry being in Dragon Age Origins for example.
Tim Curry was the voice of Gabriel Knight.

64566-gabriel-knight-sins-of-the-fathers-screenshot.jpg
1473243427-1178666655.jpg
Why does gabriel knight looks like a young Conan 'O Brien? Lol this just struck me. Holy shit :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom