Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
99% of post apocalypse is straight up fantasy.
Post-apo is a subgenre of sci-fi, and if you don't know the difference between sci-fi and fantasy, you should learn it. Sci-fi deals with the concepts that are not possible yet, but can be imagined based on current knowledge or even exist in the future. Hell, why I try to be smart when one of the best writers ever already defined that?
Sometimes, distinguishing between fantasy and sci-fi is a thankless job and, all things considered, an end in itself. Is Numenera fantasy or sci-fi? Is The Book of the New Sun fantasy or sci-fi?

I think that what Thac0 meant was that, while the two genres are supposed to be different, most of the times post-apocalyptic sci-fi ends up being straight up fantasy.

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane
Have any of you done the underdark yet? Feels way too difficult for level 4s.
Already finished the early acces 2 days ago so yes.. Underdark is realy hard indeed, the first two minotaurs will devastate your party using the terrain to their advantage , better split them and hit with range weapons. Yet its just 2 cr3 monsters only rate at 1x deadly cr5 encounter, it should not be any trouble after a rest .Maybe the party and companions arent the most optimal either.No moon druid, no pally,no diviner wizard, in fact you can make none of the good builds i can think of so far .

Terenty

Liturgist
In my D&D group, we are two non-straight white dudes
Shit, i though any non straight person on this board, if there's any, were larpers...
tenor.gif

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I didn't even notice the thread split since I've been a little less active. How is itemization?

Gargaune

Arcane
It's certainly implemented and would work if you have an advantage. Being successfully hidden even if you are not obscured would grant you an advantage. Here are some screenshots.

Normal backstab:

yuLiiGK.jpg

While successfully hidden it will say "Advantage on attack":

IiFk4Ai.jpg

But there seems to be an issue when trying to perform a sneak attack on an enemy that's engaged with an ally, I think I was able to make it work on tutorial level but not sure why it's not working now.
Well, it's Early Access. Thanks, chief!

They removed alignments, nothing about this is "faithful" to the source.
To be fair, this is explicitly WotC's fault, Swen wanted to use Alignment and was told no. BG3 is certainly more faihtful to its source TB ruleset than BG1 or 2 were, it's just not faithful to Baldur's Gate.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Is Numenera fantasy or sci-fi? Is The Book of the New Sun fantasy or sci-fi?
Science fantasy is a thing, actually, a weird hybrid. It's like a typical fantasy, but it's invents new laws to explain the things in the setting and tries to make the world more consistent. Remember the explanation about the difference between the magic and technology in Arcanum? That's the thing like it.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Went on reddit because I'm either a masochist or retarded and decided to see what the larian cultists were up to in their home turf: the divinity original sin subreddit. There's a banner of Baldurs Gate 3 on the divinity original sin subreddit. Everybody knows this game is DOS:3 and not BG3 but you still get hate for saying it.
Except it's clearly more faithful to the chosen ruleset than BG1 or BG2 were?
They removed alignments, nothing about this is "faithful" to the source.
The impressive list of what alignment does in 5E:
- it occupies space on your character sheet.

That's it.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
All the zoomers complaining about missing in combat reminds me of Swen's initial idea that you shouldn't be able to miss. Yep, he knows his retarded audience well.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Is Numenera fantasy or sci-fi? Is The Book of the New Sun fantasy or sci-fi?
Science fantasy is a thing, actually, a weird hybrid. It's like a typical fantasy, but it's invents new laws to explain the things in the setting and tries to make the world more consistent. Remember the explanation about the difference between the magic and technology in Arcanum? That's the thing like it.
But there's no magic in Numenera and The Book of the New Sun. And there are no new laws either. Just advanced technology and aliens.

Gargaune

Arcane
Otherwise you can get to level 6 just during "chapter 1" alone, and the maximum 10 level will become a joke.
I'm pretty sure I recall Larian stating that they're reworking the full level range to go "a bit beyond 10" following internal focus testing where people complained that leveling was too slow.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
RPGs are *very* popular among the non-straights and non-conforming women.

LGBT people are also 5% of the population.

That is why they were deemed satanic and problematic by conservatives. Fantasy is dangerous to the status quo because you might get ...ideas that maybe the world has the possibility to be different than it is currently.

The moral panic in the 80s had nothing to do with homosexuality. Fundies have/had a kneejerk reaction to anything with magic (unless that magic is done through God/Jesus) and demons in it. They hate Harry Potter for the same reason.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Am I correct in my impression that BG3 is okay, but just not a great Baldur's Gate sequel (threequel?)?

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Is this game trying to kill me with laughter

"Funny how things change when your bloodline becomes a problem" "Guess I'll be starting over in Baldur's Gate. I hope people are more open-minded there."

Am I correct in my impression that BG3 is okay, but just not a great Baldur's Gate sequel (threequel?)?
It's ok if you liked D:OS2 If you didn't like it, congratulations, you don't have a shit taste for games.

Skene’s Gland

Literate

I’m putting off a Pathfinder update, an Atom update and numerous Windows 10 updates in order to download this piece of shit, so it better be fucking “okay”.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The amount of devs is irrelevant. When you over blob a production team,it tends to produce less. As they say,too many cooks in the kitchen. Also my italian frendo,when the game release and there are only those fagz....i will be behind you,nudging you to come to terms with reality. Also it was not possible to make a 4man dnd rpg,or a tb successor to bg2,yet here we are.
When more companions get revealed, I'm going to bother you so fucking much.
Trying to get a Fantolover tag to go along with the Onto tag?
Nah,that will kill the whole point of my secret guild. You never bother me NJClaw ;).

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
RPGs are *very* popular among the non-straights and non-conforming women.

LGBT people are also 5% of the population.
So? Even if this were true, how does it change the fact tabletop/RPGs in general are very popular among them?
That is why they were deemed satanic and problematic by conservatives. Fantasy is dangerous to the status quo because you might get ...ideas that maybe the world has the possibility to be different than it is currently.

The moral panic in the 80s had nothing to do with homosexuality. Fundies have/had a kneejerk reaction to anything with magic (unless that magic is done through God/Jesus) and demons in it. They hate Harry Potter for the same reason.
Except there's a reason why they hate that stuff (along with witches like in Salem) which I already covered. I have no idea what you are trying to say with this little tirade.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I actually don't think Fantasy has to be naturally left wing - which you are not impyling but a lot of people here are choosing to read it that way.

Fantasy naturally appeals to the outsider, since it shows a world where there is a different status quo, making the current world relative and less important. The essence of escapism.
Homosexuals being 5% of the population is precisely WHY they are so into Fantasy. It appeals to the underdog, to the oppressed if you will so.

I also think that's this is the reason that there is a rise in right wing Fantasy. While the world governance is still firmly in conservative hands, world culture no longer is.
And so right wing people turn to fantasy, to envision their concept of a better world, and fantasy is mallable enough to greet them with open arms.

I think this is a part of this medieval area nostalgism among right wing folks, it is the fantasy of a world where morals are still "good" and in place.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom