Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Funny seeing that thread about other settings Larian could tackle. They would be shit at most of them, but they might actually give Spelljammer a good shake. It’s a very Larian setting
They should make a Fallout game next, to secure the mass suicides at Obsidian Studios.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
This is the main reasons why BG2 will always be better than BG3.

No chad male henchmen in BG3 to put the roasties in their place.

HJfnlui.jpg

Think about it. Astarion - Faggot, Gale - Simp robe wearing manwhore, Wyll - Nigger simp for semen demons, Minsc - A meme male that can't protect a single Witch if his life depended on it, Halsin - Gay bear too pussy to have an outburst.

One GOOD henchman is worth ten thousand of these netflix TV show disposable garbage.
all that great characterization coming from only writing, a few voiced lines, and a 110x170 bmp file.

Shaki

Arbiter

HJfnlui.jpg

Think about it. Astarion - Faggot, Gale - Simp robe wearing manwhore, Wyll - Nigger simp for semen demons, Minsc - A meme male that can't protect a single Witch if his life depended on it, Halsin - Gay bear too pussy to have an outburst.

One GOOD henchman is worth ten thousand of these netflix TV show disposable garbage.
Yeah, Larian actually made female companions more manly than the male companions, which is not exactly surprising considering how heavily they promoted gay bear sex and ability to give your female pc a penis, but still feels bad.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!

HJfnlui.jpg
Anomen was specifically designed to be a loud mouth asshole, unless you romance him. You shouldn't mistake it for something else.

As for why Baldur's Gate is better than most modern trash, it often tells of common wisdom that modern games can't even think of releasing today (lest they want to put reddit/twitter on fire).

aadsf.jpg

Kiste

Augur

HJfnlui.jpg
Anomen was specifically designed to be a loud mouth asshole, unless you romance him. You shouldn't mistake it for something else.

As for why Baldur's Gate is better than most modern trash, it often tells of common wisdom that modern games can't even think of releasing today (lest they want to put reddit/twitter on fire).

View attachment 39294

That's a lot of text for something that Paulo Freire (the Pedagogy of the Oppressed guy) summed with: "The oppressed, instead of striving for liberation, tend themselves to become oppressors."

Herumor

Scholar
I don't recall many games that had half as much reactivity as BG3
The last Pathfinder game had an above average amount of reactivity. I like how you even had deity reactivity, and you didn't even have to be a cleric for those.
We get it you really like Sawyer's IWD2.
What's wrong with Icewind Dale 2? I mean, yeah, the class/race reactivity was nice really, but is there any particular reason why anyone wouldn't like it?

notpl

Arbiter
Being forced to design your recruitable companions with their starting stat distribution/class choice locked in to an extent is an interesting restriction that ultimately leads to more creativity, not less. Full respec calls to mind the convos from divinity original sin 2, where the recruitable characters would say something like "I'm a trained mage, but I'm not afraid to mix it up [if you want to retool me to be a warrior, press 1]" It's not the worst thing in the world, but I think it costs the game something. If you don't mind the dissonance, that's fine, but it's there.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

I intend to gib Astarion & Halsin into meat chunks on sight every playthrough.
Minthara drow mommy will have to suffice I guess.

(My issue with BG3 in general though is all companions are lolquirky weirdo's .. AKA Larian-esque)
There's no companion who is just a random grumpy dwarf running a store. I miss when the games were more grounded in the setting.

jaekl

CHUD LIFE
Patron
If you want to go on smoochy kiss dates with a quirky elf girl *and* tinker around with her inner workings and statistics at the same time, you need to be institutionalized for our safety. This kind of hedonism can only lead to trouble.

"I'MMMMMMM SOOO CONCERNNNNEEEDDDD!!!!!"

Late Bloomer this your video?

Why is he speaking so slowly? Is he retarded or does he assume everyone watching his videos is?

Youtube guys all put on a fake entertainer voice. This guy sounds kind of mush-mouthed even with the slow enunciation, so he probably sounds like his mouth is full of socks when speaking normally.

Shaki

Arbiter
(My issue with BG3 in general though is all companions are lolquirky weirdo's .. AKA Larian-esque)
There's no companion who is just a random grumpy dwarf running a store. I miss when the games were more grounded in the setting.
TBH that's nothing new. PST created this trend, of having your companions be super unique quirky snowflakes. Consoomers don't want more random dwarf shopkeepers from BG1/2, they want Ignus, Morte and Dakkon, with shitloads of content and mysterious past™ to unveil.

Incendax

Augur
The crazy items and magic is what does it for me in BG1&2 so much cool shit actually feel like a heroic adventurer getting some of this stuff.

Even some of the useless unique items cool to just keep in a bag of holding and look at.
This was a major fun part of AD&D. The gonzo shit was glorious AND memorable. Biggest power fantasy edition of D&D by far, like a cool guy who walks away from explosions.

How can you tell the people who hate turn-based in BG3 to get over it, when you can't get over real-time in BG1&2?
i wouldn't, i would just make fun of them for missing out on an entire genre of gems and to go back to halo & fartnite. in fact, just a few hours ago i told a guy (who complained about TB) that not all games are meant to be accessible to everyone. i have no qualms about "missing out" on RTWP. people give Fallout Tactics shit but they gave you the option, and on higher difficulty it's absolutely necessary to use TB or get multiple squad members destroyed in a single attack.
I'm talking about computer RPGs, I could care less about P&P RPGs
couldn't* care less. unless you could care less? :o

Incendax

Augur
What's wrong with Icewind Dale 2? I mean, yeah, the class/race reactivity was nice really, but is there any particular reason why anyone wouldn't like it?
After the first town it was just a long linear line of mostly filler combat, until you get to the final area. Very little exploration value for an explorationfag like me.

Joyvankek

Learned
If
player.race = "tiefling"
insert
VO_rea_tief245.ogg

Wow such reactivity
rVPpbkI.jpeg
Didn't Githyanki have cloackas, since they lay eggs?
If so then I may consider playing at some point, RP'ing as someone I hate and drag that PC thru hell.
I know there is gay bestiality in this game, but I'm not that cruel, nor do I think I would bear to see that.

Other than that, so far, for a RPG/Romance simulator, there is not a single female I would like to romance.
And I doubt I would have some way out like you had on the lich patch in WotR.

Vault Dweller if you review this game I will pay for your copy
CpeEkQUVMAItZKC.jpg
How old are you?
Hey Swen, is it too late for a refund?
If it is, at least give me option to kill off these companions, and go full merc team.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
If
player.race = "tiefling"
insert
VO_rea_tief245.ogg

Wow such reactivity
rVPpbkI.jpeg
If so then I may consider playing at some point, RP'ing as someone I hate and drag that PC thru hell.
I know there is gay bestiality in this game, but I'm not that cruel, nor do I think I would bear to see that.

Other than that, so far, for a RPG/Romance simulator, there is not a single female I would like to romance.

CpeEkQUVMAItZKC.jpg
How old are you?
If it is, at least give me option to kill off these companions, and go full merc team.
NO REFUNDS!

Joyvankek

Learned
You have the option. Heck, Dark Urge benefits from it!
That's some comfort, hopefully this game won't be shit. Like these companions.
If
player.race = "tiefling"
insert
VO_rea_tief245.ogg

Wow such reactivity
rVPpbkI.jpeg

CpeEkQUVMAItZKC.jpg
How old are you?
NO REFUNDS!
You bastard!
Why couldn't you give us normal looking gals, at least then I could find some comfort in tits, in case of this game turning out to be a pile of shit.
Instead we get those masculine abominations with personality of a tiktok e-whore, and you even threw bestiality and troll sex in.
You are getting off on this, aren't you?

Last edited:

Aphex81

Scholar
If
player.race = "tiefling"
insert
VO_rea_tief245.ogg

Wow such reactivity
If
player.class == "cleric" && player.deity = "Helm"
print.dialogue("Howdy, my fellow Helm worshipper who also worships Helm like us priests here at the temple of Helm!")

... and yet Baldur's Gate didn't have it. No animation, no voice acting, just printing a fucking dialogue line. 2 minutes of work, unironically. 20 if you want a bigger writeup someone has to check.
Hey i know this is syntax of some sort. Pls Larian hire me i am a starving, unemployed programmer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom