Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Modron

Arcane
If
player.class == "cleric" && player.deity = "Helm"
print.dialogue("Howdy, my fellow Helm worshipper who also worships Helm like us priests here at the temple of Helm!")

... and yet Baldur's Gate didn't have it. No animation, no voice acting, just printing a fucking dialogue line. 2 minutes of work, unironically. 20 if you want a bigger writeup someone has to check.
We get it you really like Sawyer's IWD2.

Rhobar121

Scholar
This logic is stupid. Bioware didn't have to worry about voice acting, and to be honest, there wasn't really an incredibly wide variety of choices in the game. You had a whole 5 gods to choose from and the fact that the game doesn't care is just Bioware's laziness.

Shaki

Arbiter
Jeez I guess I'll have to learn how to play properly for my next playthrough.
Yeah, SCS has components allowing you to change most of OP/chesse shit BG2 has, including fixing simulacrum, nerfing some truly OP items, letting beholders do something against Balduran's Shield, etc.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Let's be real here, the old BG games were barely real RPG's.

Rejoice Biodrones, BG3 will be the first actual RPG you will ever play.
The core of any CRPG is dungeon crawling, party building and monster killing not reactivity.

Codexers invented the terms C&C and reactivity as identifiers of RPGs to hide their shame at being storyfags

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, Larian having better reactivity than a 20 years old game with 20x smaller budget and dev team, is not really an accomplishment, especially when even on things as basic as aesthetics or writing, they somehow failed miserably and managed to be much worse

2 minutes of work, then people are mad that it only happens with priest of Helm, and other classes don't get their speshul interakshuns, so instead you get 2 minutes x every class x every race x every npc and you end up with needing additional 5 million in budget just to cover the pointless reactivity clutter in dialogues.
You can't win this argument. BGII had worse reactivity than contemporary games with even smaller teams - Icewind Dale, Fallout.
Reactivity was simply not something they cared about.

Come to think of it, my personal list of what BGII had going for it back in the day amounts to:
1. Production values, beautiful visuals, music, UI. Also party member NPCs which I also count as production values.
2. Goofing around in a huge city, roleplaying my favorite videogame character, Garrett (Thief: The Dark Project).
3. Based on AD&D 2nd edition

Nowadays I seem to value reactivity a lot more than I did, but I still value exploration highly. BG2 has exploration value simply because of how huge it is.

I made a poll here a long time ago, when the BG3 EA had recently launched. I asked what features do people associate with a Baldur's Gate game: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/what-makes-a-baldurs-gate-to-you.132106/

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

The core of any CRPG is dungeon crawling, party building and monster killing not reactivity.
Combat that's good for its own sake is a very rare sight, and an adapted D&D 5e isn't likely to be one such example.

Also, the dungeon masters who could design encounters that make combat good for its own sake, are gone from the scene.

Other than that, nice brofist harvesting ;)

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
The crazy items and magic is what does it for me in BG1&2 so much cool shit actually feel like a heroic adventurer getting some of this stuff.

Even some of the useless unique items cool to just keep in a bag of holding and look at.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

Combat that's good for its own sake is a very rare sight, and an adapted D&D 5e isn't likely to be one such example.

Also, the dungeon masters who could design encounters that make combat good for its own sake, are gone from the scene.

Other than that, nice brofist harvesting ;)
I'm talking about computer RPGs, I could care less about P&P RPGs

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Companion respec is a good idea imo. You can create a custom party tailored to your playstyle and still take advantage of the story characters.

Balance-wise, I don’t think it will make any bigger difference than the custom hirelings/mercenaries already in game. If someone wants to break the balance with a custom party, they could already do so.

AwesomeButton

Patron
I'm talking about computer RPGs, I could care less about P&P RPGs
I used "dungeon master" in the widest sense. I thought it's obvious I don't mean a physical person we should hunt down and force to be our DM in order to get the combat we want. :)

By stating something in the lines of "Real RPGs are about X" you implicitly agree that the computer RPG is just a compromise made for convenience, in place of the superior form of RPG where you have a thinking human being in charge of the adventure. And you back out with "I'm talking about computer RPGs" ? Are you even serious? ;)

Also, before overemphasizing the importance of combat in computer RPG, consider how vulnerable the computer RPG's combat difficulty is to player pre-existing knowledge. Who are you proving your RPG combat prowess to anyway? You just reloaded that encounter for the 5th time :lol: But it's not your fault, it's a videogame after all.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
By stating something in the lines of "Real RPGs are about X" you implicitly agree that the computer RPG is just a compromise and convenience with the superior form of RPG where you have a thinking human being in charge of the adventure. And you back out with "I'm talking about computer RPGs" ? Are you even serious? ;)
I state that because CRPGs and P&P RPGs have developed into distinct entities that share some elements but are fundamentally different in others. People who think computer RPG represent a compromise really don't get it.

Also, before overemphasizing the importance of combat in computer RPG, consider how vulnerable the computer RPG's combat difficulty is to player pre-existing knowledge.
I don't care about combat difficulty all that much. Either the game is fun or it isn't, doesn't really matter whether its difficult or not.

Who are you proving your RPG combat prowess to anyway? You just reloaded that encounter for the 5th time :lol: But it's not your fault, it's a videogame after all.
I don't care about proving combat prowess to anyone. It's a game. I care about killing virtual monsters because its fun

AwesomeButton

Patron
People who think computer RPG represent a compromise really don't get it.
Conveniently vague. How can a computer RPG give you combat superior to what a human DM (I'm not talking about an extreme case) can set up for your characters?

I don't care about combat difficulty all that much. Either the game is fun or it isn't, doesn't really matter whether its difficult or not.
I don't care about proving combat prowess to anyone. It's a game. I care about killing virtual monsters because its fun
This I agree with. Feels beats everything else. If the combat encounter gave you the feeling that you just barely made it thanks to improvisation and good use of your options, that's what matters in the end. Not the system, not the way numbers are calculated, etc.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Funny seeing that thread about other settings Larian could tackle. They would be shit at most of them, but they might actually give Spelljammer a good shake. It’s a very Larian setting

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
This is the main reasons why BG2 will always be better than BG3.

No chad male henchmen in BG3 to put the roasties in their place.

HJfnlui.jpg

Think about it. Astarion - Faggot, Gale - Simp robe wearing manwhore, Wyll - Nigger simp for semen demons, Minsc - A meme male that can't protect a single Witch if his life depended on it, Halsin - Gay bear too pussy to have an outburst.

One GOOD henchman is worth ten thousand of these netflix TV show disposable garbage.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
People who think computer RPG represent a compromise really don't get it.
Conveniently vague. How can a computer RPG give you combat superior to what a human DM (I'm not talking about an extreme case) can set up for your characters?

Most combat set up by human DMs is boring as hell. CRPGs usually beat that easily

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom