Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Who needs context or history or reasons for doing shit or really anything :bioware:
Eh? Why use the Bioware react here when you're, I guess, trying to snipe Larian?

Anyway, 5E (which BG3 is based on) doesn't rely on the Baldur's Gate game series much for its lore.

It relies on the Baldur's Gate novels, the D&D 5E module Murder in Baldur’s Gate, and the D&D 5E module Decent into Avernus.

So there's not much good knowing the game's lore will do you, since 5E says the Bhaalspawn is a human male named Abdel who got killed ten years ago, and everything else is kind of meaningless.

Also, the dude who did that video is some kind of poser who hasn't even played Throne of Bhaal, so he just left it off at the end and said that you might want to play it.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
To be fair, if you have basic understanding of Forgotten Realms and D&D, the relevant parts of Baldur's Gate 1/2/Throne can be explained in literally 5 minutes. Despite the length of these games, not much really happens, in volume.
Lots happened, just not much that applies to this game, or that is recognized in 5E.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
To be fair, if you have basic understanding of Forgotten Realms and D&D, the relevant parts of Baldur's Gate 1/2/Throne can be explained in literally 5 minutes. Despite the length of these games, not much really happens, in volume.
Lots happened, just not much that applies to this game, or that is recognized in 5E.
Tainted iron ore is a big plot, that is started and resolved within that game, and has no influence on the greater setting. That's what I mean by not much happening. Plot lines start, develop and end in that game, and don't influence subsequent adventures.

Elthosian

Arcane
listened with half an ear while browsing the net. is there a better summary? i don't wanna play RTWP so playing the games myself is out of the question.

This is like watching a summary of the original Star Wars trilogy to prepare you to watch the new Disney films. Awful. This wolf guy needs a swift kick in the balls for this.

Bro you are here talking as if he was trying to summariwatch Solaris or something worth the time. The games are damn excellent, but if he isn't going to enjoy the gameplay, then it's not worth it. Plot is serviceable, but that's it, it's no PST and the combat is too central to the experience. Even if he used cheats to kill enemies instantly, there would be little motivation to do huge chunks of the game.

And don't hate me for the SW comment, I agree that it's not that bad just to try and play RTWP but if he's predisposed like that, no matter how much you point out the contradictions, he will hate it. His loss :M

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Tainted iron ore is a big plot, that is started and resolved within that game, and has no influence on the greater setting. That's what I mean by not much happening.
Yeah, I thought that might have been what you meant, but I wasn't sure.

There was some fallout from the Iron Crisis, in that it helped screw over the Iron Throne. As I understand it, there were some books written later that covered this. Probably could have been written without this, sure, but this is still a pretty big milestone in the organization's history, and it's not like they were never mentioned again.

Just because they don't have much of an effect on D&D as a whole doesn't mean the events didn't happen. But there weren't a great many events that you can say happened or not due to the way they incorporated the lore, not due to them being resolved in-game.

Last edited:

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
That reaction applies to all soy-infused games, from Bioware to Larian
So, you're saying that Larian is a true successor to Bioware, and thus is the perfect company to make BG3? :M
It expresses the attitude of the average "Reddit RPG Gamer" towards nuRPGs
Well, yeah, but like I said: there's not much here to get history on, since Wizards ruined the history with the novels and the 2013 module Murder in Baldur's Gate.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
listened with half an ear while browsing the net. is there a better summary? i don't wanna play RTWP so playing the games myself is out of the question.
You need NONE of this to play BG3. It's set 100 years later. The most you need to know is that Bhaal realized he was going to die, had a bunch of kids to ressurect himself and that Jaheira and Minsc aided one of them (two really).

5E later says that this last Bhaalspawn died and Bhaal got resurrected as a demigod, but that's not in any game. And frankly, even the previous is just Forgotten Realms lore, apart from the bit about Jaheria and Minsc.

You shouldn't watch this spoiler shit. This is reddit brainrot that ruins the first two games for you. You should play the games and enjoy them because you're never going to find others like them again. You can set the automatic pause settings so that it's more similar to turn-based combat if real-time bothers you.

This is like watching a summary of the original Star Wars trilogy to prepare you to watch the new Disney films. Awful. This wolf guy needs a swift kick in the balls for this.
Trying to make a turn-based game out of a game that isn't meant to be turn-based ends up being a tiresome chore.
Baldur's Gates are turn based games made "real time", that is there's no automatic pause after every turn but there are very clear turns. One turn is 6 real seconds, and you can see it in all combat animations, everything that is one turn happens in particular 6 seconds, then another turn starts.

The game has difficulty settings and you're encouraged to come up with your own freaks if you don't like the faces of the premade ones. People expecting to be challenged by the default settings (normal, origin companions with default stats) are deluding themselves, you'll have to roll up your sleeves for it. On the other hand, this means you can make 4 cripples for a proper cock-and-ball torture experience that would be unachievable otherwise if you want to.

Difficulty Levels & Rules

In D&D, picking the right DM is key to defining the journey you want to embark on. In Baldur’s Gate 3, we’ve created three modes of play that essentially act as different types of DM: the forgiving, narrative driven DM, or the DM that isn’t afraid to let you die if your glass-cannon wizard decides to tickle an owlbear.

At launch, in addition to ‘Normal mode’ (which can be considered our default), players may avail of the following:

In Story mode, combat has been made more forgiving so players can fully immerse themselves in the narrative layer of this adventure. In this mode, friendly NPCs are harder to kill, trader prices are at a 20 percent discount, and you'll begin the game with a +2 starting proficiency bonus.

Hardcore mode, then, is where to test your mettle. In this mode, enemy lethality is cranked up to Brutal, ensuring that enemy AI are stronger, will prioritise squishier targets with low AC, and will seize opportunities to go in for the kill. Additionally, many adjustments have been made to the fights themselves specifically for Hardcore mode, with certain enemies receiving additional support through reinforcements, spells, or consumable items.

Mercenaries At Your Service – Recruit Lethal Assistance With Hirelings

ba2ce60c0e37cf65949302f2d6c4e31aeca996b5.jpg

“But what if I want to create a party that is made up entirely of giant druidic badgers?”

We hear you loud and clear, community. Should you so choose, you’ll be able to create a custom party without any Origins, opting instead to have Hirelings join you on the road – mercenaries who can be hired to join your team temporarily.

In Baldur’s Gate 3, there are 12 Hirelings available for you to recruit – one for each class. Each has their own name, visuals, and race, and can be respecced at any time.

Kiste

Augur
Baldur's Gates are turn based games made "real time", that is there's no automatic pause after every turn but there are very clear turns. One turn is 6 real seconds, and you can see it in all combat animations, everything that is one turn happens in particular 6 seconds, then another turn starts.

There are no turns. Turns are consecutive. The 6 second phases run concurrently.

Silverfish

Arbiter
I’m going to make my Wyll a Druid/Paladin just to spite these pearl-clutchers

I'll be turning everyone, barring my special snowflake custom character, into meatshield fighters.

Saving these quotes for when you all come here to cry about how easy the game is and combat being boring.

You overestimate my prowess. I've just recently been playing DOS2 and got my ass kicked by a prison chef wearing rags.

Cooldowns > Resting. Prove me wrong.

Let me tell you about our lord and savior, the mana bar.

the fact that combat classes were esentially magic casters with spells renamed to "abilities"

Spot on and sadly common.

if you have basic understanding of Forgotten Realms and D&D
Which the majority of this thread apparently does not.

I'm admittedly not very well versed in the setting, but I'm still interested to see if any characters make references to past events like the Oblivion crisis or the eruption at Red Mountain.

Shaki

Arbiter
Bioware was never as good as Larian. A fact some of you boomers will soon have to accept.
Reactivity in the likes of "no reaction to a Priest of Helm walking into the temple of Helm" isn't a high bar to beat.
Yeah, Larian having better reactivity than a 20 years old game with 20x smaller budget and dev team, is not really an accomplishment, especially when even on things as basic as aesthetics or writing, they somehow failed miserably and managed to be much worse

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
Almost off to spellhold just doing every quest beforehand henchmen included.

I think I'll make it to ToB before BG3 comes out dunno if I can finish everything.

Also Anomen what a chad frontliner and great spell progression.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Almost off to spellhold just doing every quest beforehand henchmen included.

I think I'll make it to ToB before BG3 comes out dunno if I can finish everything.

Also Anomen what a chad frontliner and great spell progression.

ToB’ll take you half a day to complete. It’s bad but fortunately short

Rhobar121

Scholar
If
player.race = "tiefling"
insert
VO_rea_tief245.ogg

Wow such reactivity
If it was that easy, every game would have it.
Ignoring the voice acting, I don't recall many games that had half as much reactivity as BG3, maybe New Vegas (although I think bg3 does much more).

Shaki

Arbiter
If
player.race = "tiefling"
insert
VO_rea_tief245.ogg

Wow such reactivity
If it was that easy, every game would have it.
Ignoring the voice acting, I don't recall many games that had half as much reactivity as BG3, maybe New Vegas (although I think bg3 does much more).
It is that easy, it just requires money to hire people just to fill dialogues with pointless clutter, more if you also have full voice acting. Most RPGs have smaller budgets or choose to spend it on more important things, like combat not being an unbalanced dogshit mess, having actual art direction other than "idk maybe make it look like dragon age or smth" or hiring actually competent writers

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
If
player.race = "tiefling"
insert
VO_rea_tief245.ogg

Wow such reactivity
If
player.class == "cleric" && player.deity = "Helm"
print.dialogue("Howdy, my fellow Helm worshipper who also worships Helm like us priests here at the temple of Helm!")

... and yet Baldur's Gate didn't have it. No animation, no voice acting, just printing a fucking dialogue line. 2 minutes of work, unironically. 20 if you want a bigger writeup someone has to check.

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
So if I install SCS and all the other autism mods. Does that make any changes to the protection from magic/protection from undead scrolls?

Right now my go to for cheese is making a simulacrum with Anomen and sending it in with both scrolls active.

The reason that no one reacted to CHARNAME being a cleric was because he is supposed to be either a Fighter or a Mage or both.

Shaki

Arbiter
If
player.race = "tiefling"
insert
VO_rea_tief245.ogg

Wow such reactivity
If
player.class == "cleric" && player.deity = "Helm"
print.dialogue("Howdy, my fellow Helm worshipper who also worships Helm like us priests here at the temple of Helm!")

... and yet Baldur's Gate didn't have it. No animation, no voice acting, just printing a fucking dialogue line. 2 minutes of work, unironically. 20 if you want a bigger writeup someone has to check.
2 minutes of work, then people are mad that it only happens with priest of Helm, and other classes don't get their speshul interakshuns, so instead you get 2 minutes x every class x every race x every npc and you end up with needing additional 5 million in budget just to cover the pointless reactivity clutter in dialogues.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom