Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

It's here bros. I can feel it. I can taste it. THE BEAR IS COMING AND SO WILL YOU!!
e28.jpg

(years later I still can't tell if that song was deliberate or unintentional comedy).

Last edited:

Barbarian

Arcane
Three days left.
I still flip-flop on what to play first. I'm now psyopping myself to play a custom character, rather than an origin character.

I’m locked in bruv. It’s Durge Bard. Prolly gonna regret it

Probably. Bard makes no sense thematically.

There was also this video of Durge smashing Alfira's lute. And later talking about murdering her. No idea if both things you can opt out of doing - just a headsup that you might end up smashing lutes and killing your fellow bards instead of doing bardy things.

I'm going for Durge Assassin/Gloom Stalker. Or maybe pure-class Sorcerer. Not sure yet.

Maybe opt out of durge origin entirely. Actually waiting on spoilers about how much you can control it. Can't see myself enjoying a playthrough where I will often lose control of my character(specially in a game where reactivity is a main selling point).

Achdulieber

Literate
Meh, I guess I'll just watch some Let's Play retards before jumping to conclusions, but I am not optimistic. I wonder what completely uninteresting class/race, sorry, ethnicity, combo will be the obligatory Youtuber choice that everyone will play.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Can't see myself enjoying a playthrough where I will often lose control of my character(specially in a game where reactivity is a main selling point).
I can, but on a third playthrough. After I've seen the game as an altruistic hero, and as a self interested egoist. Then, for the third attempt, I can be the cartoon villain.
But if early spoilers suggest that Durge can be a self interested and pragmatic villain, rather than le random kill girl steal flute villain, I'll go second with him.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
There was also this video of Durge smashing Alfira's lute. And later talking about murdering her. No idea if both things you can opt out of doing - just a headsup that you might end up smashing lutes and killing your fellow bards instead of doing bardy things.

cool bards are spies, not gayass "noes i made sad singersongwriter more sad"

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
When I think generic fantasy bard, I think Thom Merrilin of A Wheel of Time. He sorta kinda is a spy at one point. But more of a former politician, who got bitter and cynical about the court play, so went out to travel as a gleeman.

Barbarian

Arcane

If the big final spoiler is that Durge is actually an amnesiac Bhaal then a bard class would also be real silly

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

If the big final spoiler is that Durge is actually an amnesiac Bhaal then a bard class would also be real silly

only if you're a larper

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
When I think generic fantasy bard, I think Thom Merrilin of A Wheel of Time. He sorta kinda is a spy at one point. But more of a former politician, who got bitter and cynical about the court play, so went out to travel as a gleeman.

In our group's recent run of tomb of annihilation, one of my players essentially played a bard version of Cicero (so lore bard, obv). His "instrument" was rhetorical ability. Was a very cool character. Instead of insults his cutting words and vicious mockery was basically rational (but very polemic) arguments and demagoguery

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Why do e-celebs get to play early and we get cucked Swen? Fuck you.

Getting to play early is overrated. A wise man buy all games on sale after bugs been patched away.
There's something to be said to playing games when everybody else is doing it, that energy you can only get early on when the thread is moving at lightning speed, once all the bugs are killed and the audience have moved on, its a different kind of thing

Reminds me of the time when you talked in school about what you saw on a famous TV show the other day, these kinds of moments have become really rare in our fragmented media landscape

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
Why do e-celebs get to play early and we get cucked Swen? Fuck you.

Getting to play early is overrated. A wise man buy all games on sale after bugs been patched away.
You're not wrong in some ways, but I'm kind of looking forward to some of the Day 1 graphical bugs. I can play the game as intended any time after the first few months, I'll probably only be able to see the very worst of the glitch gore in the first week or so.

I will of course still be impotently raging at any quest breaking bugs though.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
I'm going for Durge Assassin/Gloom Stalker. Or maybe pure-class Sorcerer. Not sure yet.

Maybe opt out of durge origin entirely. Actually waiting on spoilers about how much you can control it. Can't see myself enjoying a playthrough where I will often lose control of my character(specially in a game where reactivity is a main selling point).

Very original. At least try to live up to your name and go glorious berserker.

The urge checks are apparently all intimidation, so you'll want at least decent WIS if you want to resist it occasionally. I don't think it was clarified whether giving in to it resets the difficulty every time or if it just increases/lowers over time based on previous choices.

Barbarian

Arcane

Very original. At least try to live up to your name and go glorious berserker.

The urge checks are apparently all intimidation, so you'll want at least decent WIS if you want to resist it occasionally. I don't think it was clarified whether giving in to it resets the difficulty every time or if it just increases/lowers over time based on previous choices.

13 wisdom + 1 from resilient feat(which will add proficiency bonus to wisdom saves). Hopefully it will be enough.

If they do this "here is how you are going to murder this vital npc with no agency or say on the matter" thing often than the origin is a no-no to me. Hopefully they will be more sophisticated about it. Having the choice of letting the urge take over when confronting particularly powerful foes for instance and then regretting it.

There is no confirmed info if there is such a "resist o'meter" that makes each save after resisting progressively harder. Just a rumour really.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom