Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
im a lorelet, how is minsc still alive in bg3? isn't that like 120 years after the first game, or even the 2nd?

He got Han Solo'd into kryptonite or some shit. Ich bin lore expert.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I found the Original Sins to be kind of a drag so I wasn't too interested in BG3 until recently, now I'm starting to think it might be worth checking out. What's the kurrent konsensus?

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
U homos play on ultra wide?

afbeelding.png
Only 21:9, but ya. Is that a racing wheel on your table? Does that just chill out all the time you're not using it or what?

Crispy

I feel... young!
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I hope Minsc's storyline involves him being committed to the intensive care chambers of a temple of Oghma and forced by the priests there to admit that Boo died and, in fact, was never anything more than a normal rodent.

ferratilis

Magister
Just tried the Early Access version. I'm wondering, what options are you guys using for best anti-aliasing? Everything either looks blurry, or still have aliasing. Should I use DLSS? Kinda looks blurry there too, though :(
DLAA. There's no better AA solution on the market right now. It will also depend on the resolution, I'm playing at 1440p. 4k would look the best.
MSAA is better than all the bullshit that came after it
Hell no. Even in games that allow MSAA to be combined with FXAA, there's still a ton of shimmering on detailed objects. TAA looks too smudgy to be good. Objectively, DLAA solves both of these problems.

Anyway, if someone is really bothered by aliasing, save up for a 4k display and a GPU that can power it. Otherwise, stick to DLAA. BG3 looks really good with it.

I found the Original Sins to be kind of a drag so I wasn't too interested in BG3 until recently, now I'm starting to think it might be worth checking out. What's the kurrent konsensus?
You are at a fancy restaurant and ask for some top quality steak.
The waiter comes, serves you an exceptionally good looking and juicy meal, but as soon as you start eating it, every time you try to take a bite he slaps you on the nape.

That's been BG3 in the last 3 years of EA, more or less.

jackofshadows

Magister
If you spent thousands of hours with your ex wife/gf, should you be forbidden from later calling her a fucking bitch, and saying you wouldn't recommend anyone else to get in a relationship with her? Is it that weird and unthinkable to you, that looking back, moments that were positive before, can be soured by what happened later?
And that's why you should consider to diversify your sexual partners as well.

Ryzer

Arcane
I want to remind everyone that this thread is about Baldur's gate 3 and not about w*men.
Although both of them ruin your life.

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
The combat is closer to 5e than it was at the start of the EA so not liking D:OS will be less of a problem in that regard, although there are tweaks so it's not a faithful adaptation like Solasta. Dialogue is still very Larian, which I don't mind but if it was a problem for you in the D:OSs then it may remain so.

In terms of positives that most people seem to agree on, there seems to be a lot of reactivity to class, race and to your actions in game, and as in D:OS2 it seems like Larian have pulled off their 'you do almost anything and kill almost everyone and still have a path through the main quest' goal, and even have an origin character dedicated to murderhoboing.

There are mixed opinions on stuff like the genital selection screen, the romances (and the bear sex), the companions (Astarion seems to be the most controversial, Wyll too but he's been rewritten so nobody knows what to expect), whether Larian can write well enough not to make people cringe and whether they're going to capture the tone and feel of the original games. Having played the EA I'm personally excited for it but think the people who are worried that the dialogue may be a bit corny at times may be right, although I don't think it will be enough to ruin the game.

I think the one thing there's consensus on from most people is that it's probably going to be a buggy mess on release since they moved the date forward a month and Swen has mentioned last minute crises in an interview that happened in the last few days, so if that would put you off it may be worth waiting.

jackofshadows

Magister
There's no kkk, kinda sorta similiar situation as with the Wrath. Anyway, I honestly think you should try it, you safe spacer cunt.

Kiste

Augur
MSAA is better than all the bullshit that came after it
SSAA - works on the whole image, very expensive in terms of performance, needs a lot of samples to look good

MSAA - only works on edges, does nothing for "crawling" or flickering textures, much cheaper than SSAA in terms of performance

FXAA/SMAA - post-processing based AA that is much cheaper than MSAA but produces a blurry image

TAA /TXAA - adds a temporal dimension to the AA, yields much better results than MSAA with the same amount of samples but introduces motion blurr

DLAA - it's TXAA on steroids. Uses tensor cores to eliminate temporal artifacts and handles fine detail much better than TXAA

I'd say DLAA is currently the best anti-aliasing solution, by a long shot. 8x SSAA might produce even better results but it's unreasonably expensive in terms of performance. DLAA produces the best results in its performance class.

Last edited:

Late Bloomer

Scholar
There's no kkk, kinda sorta similiar situation as with the Wrath. Anyway, I think you should try honestly it, you safe space cunt.

Pretty sure he has you on ignore along with about half the people posting.

jackofshadows

Magister
There's no kkk, kinda sorta similiar situation as with the Wrath. Anyway, I think you should try honestly it, you safe space cunt.

Pretty sure he has you on ignore along with about half the people posting.
I'm aware, hence the safe spacer cunt part. Thanks, Late Coomer.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
You can already tell how much cringe her dialogue will contain and how she will most certainly have a fucking heart of gold. Bleh
We can only hope she will be a minor character, whose lines and character model can be easily replaced. Same with the tranny.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
It had relatively nice strategic part.
I hope you don’t mean the dogshit castrated parody of HoMM 3 they had?
Might & Magic: Heroes VI
C'mon talk about correct version of battle map.

It could be worse, and you can see some RPG players when they saw battle map, and had to fight to actually use military units. They were screwed.
I played a single combat of that abomination. Never again, autoresolved all of them afterwards.
You avoided combats like that one where few my extremely expensive units were obliterated by fireballs cast by enemy general. That was nasty surprise. And then some other stuff.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom