Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Fextralife just confirmed you definitely can respec SH into other domains

Nobody has made a statement to the contrary. What people are saying now is that respeccing class of class-sensitive companions will break plot/dialogue.

Because the update hints that this will be the case. Contrary to what Swen said (he specifically said the game would completely ignore companion respecs when it came to companion interactions).

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
MSAA is better than all the bullshit that came after it
SSAA - works on the whole image, very expensive in terms of performance, needs a lot of samples to look good

MSAA - only works on edges, does nothing for "crawling" or flickering textures, much cheaper than SSAA in terms of performance

FXAA/SMAA - post-processing based AA that is much cheaper than MSAA but produces a blurry image

TAA /TXAA - adds a temporal dimension to the AA, yields much better results than MSAA with the same amount of samples but introduces motion blurr

DLAA - it's TXAA on steroids. Uses tensor cores or eliminate temporal artifacts and handles fine detail much better than TXAA

I'd say DLAA is currently the best anti-aliasing solution, by a long shot. 8x SSAA might produce even better results but it's unreasonably expensive in terms of performance. DLAA produces the best results in its performance class.
TXAA is garbage. It blurs the entire screen. DLAA also makes things blurry and can cause flicker and other weirdness on top of that. It's shit. Return to tradition. Bring back MSAA. "Only works on the edges" makes it sound worse when that's actually the benefit. You only want AA on the edges or you end up with blurry bullshit.

SSAA is dumb because it's just downscaling from a higher resolution. You should just play at a higher resolution instead.

If you like TXAA you should just smear Vaseline all over your monitor. You'll get the same effect with no performance loss.

Last edited:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Fextralife just confirmed you definitely can respec SH into other domains

Nobody has made a statement to the contrary. What people are saying now is that respeccing class of class-sensitive companions will break plot/dialogue.

Because the update hints that this will be the case. Contrary to what Swen said (he specifically said the game would completely ignore companion respecs when it came to companion interactions).

Swen needs to be careful before he gets into Peter Molyneux/No Man's Sky territory.

Then again, why not just keep going? Reputation has almost no effect in this industry because consoomers are retarded. The best marketing strat is just to keep lying out of your ass nonstop until launch and then just pull an "oopsie, we didn't want to crunch!" card.

Then spend a few years trickling out updates until your rabid playerbase defends your honor like some simp with an anime waifu crush.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
So? I put hundreds of hours into Wrath despite my better knowledge.
Don't you have anything better to do???

FXAA/SMAA - post-processing based AA that is much cheaper than MSAA but produces a blurry image
Seen a few remasters of PS3-era games offer CMAA as an alternative to FXAA, and while it's still relatively basic and low demand it seems way better than FXAA in most cases. Especially text, doesn't turn it into a mess.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Because the update hints that this will be the case.
I think you're reading too much into it.

Keep in mind, the community update was probably written by some community manager who probably has never or barely played the full game, and has poorly worded other parts of the update or gotten it wrong already (hence, the changes they made to it).

Swen already said that "in their head" the characters will always be the same class they were written around. And mechanically, that makes sense. Dialog is going to check for whether or not they're [Origin: Astarion] or whatever, not [is vampire rogue]. It'd make no sense to write code that way, otherwise a player could just be a human, female cleric with a Sharrite subclass and get all of Shadowheart's dialog.

It's the normal, non-character specific, dialog checks that should reflect their new class.

Last edited:
Swen needs to be careful before he gets into Peter Molyneux/No Man's Sky territory.

Then again, why not just keep going? Reputation has almost no effect in this industry because consoomers are retarded. The best marketing strat is just to keep lying out of your ass nonstop until launch and then just pull an "oopsie, we didn't want to crunch!" card.

Then spend a few years trickling out updates until your rabid playerbase defends your honor like some simp with an anime waifu crush.
t.
21414.jpg

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Fedora Master are you really saying you won't play the game?
I'll pirate it and post about my experience here. I'll be explaining my opinions with examples straight from the game.
Prime example of hateplaying
I will probably be hate playing it more than they will, since I actually payed for it.

That said, the foundational design seems extremely competent from what I've seen, so I expect I will enjoy any part of the game without some tranny in it.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Fedora Master are you really saying you won't play the game?
I'll pirate it and post about my experience here. I'll be explaining my opinions with examples straight from the game.
Prime example of hateplaying
I will probably be hate playing it more than they will, since I actually payed for it.

That said, the foundational design seems extremely competent from what I've seen, so I expect I will enjoy any part of the game without some tranny in it.
Unlike them your approach is more even-handed and rational, I respect that

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Have not been following this thread but just read 20+ pages :eek: and have a few questions about the game. I have intentionally read very little about the game. I didn't touch the EA as I just won't do the EA thing so:

- Was sent my key by Larian from when I bought the physical edition a long time ago. If I install it is this the EA version or the launch version?
- Will you be able to turn OFF the narrator?
- Will you have to take the orc girl as a companion? :|
- Is this a Bioware-type relationship simulator? :negative:

I'm sure there are other issues but these jump out after a quick glance.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
Have not been following this thread but just read 20+ pages :eek: and have a few questions about the game. I have intentionally read very little about the game. I didn't touch the EA as I just won't do the EA thing so:

- Was sent my key by Larian from when I bought the physical edition a long time ago. If I install it is this the EA version or the launch version?
- Will you be able to turn OFF the narrator?
- Will you have to take the orc girl as a companion? :|
- Is this a Bioware-type relationship simulator? :negative:

I'm sure there are other issues but these jump out after a quick glance.
1. wait few days
2. yes
3. no you can kill everyone or tell em to fuck off
4. read 3

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Unlike them your approach is more even-handed and rational, I respect that
I mainly just don't like dumb arguments. I find that the sort of person that makes them just becomes a liability to the thread later on if you tolerate them. They contribute nothing to the conversation and are just here to troll incessantly.

A little trolling is fine, but when that's the only reason you're here, you're just bored and will probably buy the game later out of boredom and switch sides, making the same brainless arguments for the other team.

Better to just call out any bad arguments right away, that way the thread won't attract such people, and any that are here can leave.

Raeyn

Literate
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
There is undoubtedly a lot of dogshit in this game... but it's really hard to form a concrete opinion until it's actually out and playable.

No doubt, it would be exponentially better without a drag queen circus or tranny voice actors. But as long as I can kill these NPCs and enjoy everything else, it may end up an honestly enjoyable game.
Sad truth in 2023 is that we aren't going to be able to escape these things any longer. People have lost their minds everywhere.

Looking forward to Thursday.

It's the same thing, the file is just replaced on steam/gog on release and you have to download a patch/new files to make it 1.0. Don't install it now because the Bg3 early access files and saves can't be used for release version, so you'd have to redownload everything anyway.

Takamori

Learned
To try first run on Tactician mode or not... That is the real question.

I didn't play through DoS2 to the end. How bad are Larian when it comes to combat design/balance?
Given how easy is to exploit this game might as well go Tactician to feel barely challenged?

Either I expect a walk in a park or some really retarded unbalanced encounters where you will open your campfire and cheese with whatever respec optimal for that situation.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Oh boy, Larian have "innovated" the "Doubly-Chosen One".

Mask of the Betrayer, Obsidian Entertainment. You're both the shard bearer/Kalach-Cha and the Spirit-Eater, what are the odds?
If people dislike chosen one stories, they should avoid fantasy
Even restricting myself to the canon of best fantasy, there are many novels and stories that are not about a "chosen one":

W.H. Hodgson- The House on the Borderland, The Night Land

Lord Dunsany- Various stories (e.g. The Sword of Welleran)

Abraham Merritt- The Moon Pool, The Ship of Ishtar, Creep Shadow Creep

Eric Rücker Eddison- The Worm Ouroboros

H.P. Lovecraft- Various stories (e.g. The Cats of Ulthar)

Robert E. Howard- Conan the Cimmerian stories, Solomon Kane stories

Clark Ashton Smith- Various stories (e.g. The Seven Geases)

J.R.R. Tolkien- The Hobbit

Fritz Leiber- Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser stories

Mervyn Peake- Titus Groan, Gormenghast

Jack Vance- The Dying Earth stories and novels, Lyonesse trilogy

Poul Anderson- The Broken Sword

Peter S. Beagle- A Fine and Private Place, The Last Unicorn

Michael Moorcock- Elric stories (1961-1977, in publication order)

Roger Zelazny- original Amber novels, Dilvish the Damned stories

Greatly outnumbering the items I removed from the list for being "chosen one" stories, or at least too close.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom