Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Canonically, Abdel Adrian still lived well over 100 years after BG2 finished.

Oh god, they made the character from those awful tie-in novels canon? Jesus christ, did anyone at Wizards of the Coast read that garbage before approving that?

There are multiple indications that he has since been... unpersoned.

Right, Comrade Joseph Stalin?

Robber Baron

Savant
There was once a beautiful woman.
Men and women alike travelled across the land to earn her hand in marriage.

Really now Larian
tenor.png

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
One of my major concerns is: is character building this restrictive in 5e? I’m not a fan of 3.5 either though with its tons of useless feats. But this one looks somewhat refined to my taste.

Elex

Arbiter
GUYS! GUYS! GUYS!

I just learned that when gnomes undergo ceremorphosis, the process can go wrong and, instead of becoming a full-fledged mind flayer, they might transform into a gnome ceremorph, which basically is some sort of mind flayer corgi:

X7NVAxT.png

Look at how cute he is! I'm 99% positive that we are going to meet one of these cute little squiggly balls of tentacles in BG3.

If the process goes SUPER wrong, they might also become a gnome squidling:

HQePu9K.png

What the fuck. Look at this duuuuuuuuude. :lol::lol::lol:

The wonders of 5E's lore.
That little shit have a laser pistol.

no joke:
Laser Pistol.

Ranged Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, range 40/120 ft., one target. Hit: 12 (3d6 + 2) radiant damage.

Codex Year of the Donut
Canonically, Abdel Adrian still lived well over 100 years after BG2 finished.

Oh god, they made the character from those awful tie-in novels canon? Jesus christ, did anyone at Wizards of the Coast read that garbage before approving that?
Abdel Adrian is 100% canon, although it's arguable as to whether he's actually Gorion's ward or not. I'm not sure if the books themselves are canon. But Murder in Baldur's Gate definitely is.
https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Murder_in_Baldur's_Gate
My source for this is the Heroes of Baldur's Gate book licensed by WotC which postdates Murder in Baldur's Gate, btw.
They don't directly reference Abdel Adrian, but instead simply refer to Gorion's Ward multiple times.

James Ohlen was behind Heroes of Baldur's Gate so I'm not surprised that it has no references to Abdel tbh.

Codex Year of the Donut
GUYS! GUYS! GUYS!

I just learned that when gnomes undergo ceremorphosis, the process can go wrong and, instead of becoming a full-fledged mind flayer, they might transform into a gnome ceremorph, which basically is some sort of mind flayer corgi:

X7NVAxT.png

Look at how cute he is! I'm 99% positive that we are going to meet one of these cute little squiggly balls of tentacles in BG3.

HQePu9K.png

no joke:
Laser Pistol.

Ranged Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, range 40/120 ft., one target. Hit: 12 (3d6 + 2) radiant damage.
To be fair, the separation between FR and Spelljammer hasn't always been so clear.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
By canon, illithids appeared in the Forgotten Realms after they time-traveled into the past from a future in which they rule the multiverse in order to change history in such a way as to avoid the gith from freeing themselves from their rule. They crashed and went underground to work on this.

Of course the illithids don't know that actually this, too, is just something the elder brains are manipulating them into for unknown reasons.

Gyor

Savant
D&D becomes relatively pointless after 10-12th level anyway, so I wouldn't encourage going beyond that. It's not only more work to introduce the ridiculously overpowered spells, they also trivialize a lot of the content (that is also hard to make). Just have some self-control, Larian. Stick as closely to the rules as possible, don't try to make it more flashy than it needs to be, and it's going to be ok.

Hopefully they ignore you, I want them to go to level 20, they can find ways to rebalance high levels

Gyor

Savant
GUYS! GUYS! GUYS!

X7NVAxT.png

HQePu9K.png

no joke:
Laser Pistol.

To be fair, the separation between FR and Spelljammer hasn't always been so clear.

Very true! I concider Realnspace to be as much if not more an FR book.

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
By canon, illithids appeared in the Forgotten Realms after they time-traveled into the past from a future in which they rule the multiverse in order to change history in such a way as to avoid the gith from freeing themselves from their rule. They crashed and went underground to work on this.

Of course the illithids don't know that actually this, too, is just something the elder brains are manipulating them into for unknown reasons.
Unless Wizards changed it recently, there hasn't been a definitive answer to the Illithid's origins. Time-traveling is merely one version, and I don't even think it's the oldest one.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
Storyfag
rusty_shackleford
GhopTheConqueror

All right, here goes the autism:
1. The novels are 100% NON CANON. I took the liberty of writing WotC more than a year ago to make sure, and they replied that yes, they have been removed from canon.
2. ABDEL ADRIAN was the default name of a human CHARNAME when you took him as a pre-made character in Tales of the Sword Coast. They simply chose this name as his canonical one, human as a race, and Neutral as alignment. He doesn't even have a canonical class.
3. Whether the Abdel Adrian from "A Murder in Baldur's Gate" is even still considered canon is HEAVILY up to debate. Said adventure module was released in 2013. EVERY SINGLE SOURCE MATERIAL since that time - the Minsc comics; "Heroes of Baldur's Gate" module, and "Descent into Avernus" module only ever referred to a "Gorion's Ward" and that a member of Baldur's Gate nobility is rumoured to be a Bhaalspawn. That's literally it.

And, most importantly, there is what I consider to be a red herring in Bhaal's description in Baldur's Gate III, where it's stated that every Bhaalspawn has been killed. That would mean that:
1. Imoen and Sarevok have both been murdered, and Sarevok lives in FUCKING CHINA.
2. Every single child of every single Bhaalspawn is dead (the children of Bhaalspawn are automatically Bhaalspawn themselves).
3. Larian decided to give a huge middle finger to the series fans just for the shits and giggles.

ChildInTime

Learned
Joseph Stalin what is the possibility that
Loulaum is the "evil enemy" behind all of this? He is both a Netherese wizard and an Illithid, which would explain both the fact that the hag claims that there is Netherese shadow magic protecting the tadpole.
How are you even supposed to fight something like that?
His stats from 3.5 -
Wizard 31
Archmage 5
Netherese arcanist 5

His stats from 2e - Arcanist 41

Guy could probably go toe to toe with any major god in the setting and give them hell if not on their home plane.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Loulaum is the "evil enemy" behind all of this? He is both a Netherese wizard and an Illithid, which would explain both the fact that the hag claims that there is Netherese shadow magic protecting the tadpole.
His stats from 3.5 -
Wizard 31
Archmage 5
Netherese arcanist 5

Guy could probably go toe to toe with any major god in the setting and give them hell if not on their home plane.
I mean, you do beat up a mind flayer at level 1.

BarbequeMasta

Learned
Storyfag
rusty_shackleford
GhopTheConqueror

1. The novels are 100% NON CANON. I took the liberty of writing WotC more than a year ago to make sure, and they replied that yes, they have been removed from canon.
2. ABDEL ADRIAN was the default name of a human CHARNAME when you took him as a pre-made character in Tales of the Sword Coast. They simply chose this name as his canonical one, human as a race, and Neutral as alignment. He doesn't even have a canonical class.
3. Whether the Abdel Adrian from "A Murder in Baldur's Gate" is even still considered canon is HEAVILY up to debate. Said adventure module was released in 2013. EVERY SINGLE SOURCE MATERIAL since that time - the Minsc comics; "Heroes of Baldur's Gate" module, and "Descent into Avernus" module only ever referred to a "Gorion's Ward" and that a member of Baldur's Gate nobility is rumoured to be a Bhaalspawn. That's literally it.

And, most importantly, there is what I consider to be a red herring in Bhaal's description in Baldur's Gate III, where it's stated that every Bhaalspawn has been killed. That would mean that:
1. Imoen and Sarevok have both been murdered, and Sarevok lives in FUCKING CHINA.
2. Every single child of every single Bhaalspawn is dead (the children of Bhaalspawn are automatically Bhaalspawn themselves).
3. Larian decided to give a huge middle finger to the series fans just for the shits and giggles.
Maybe Sarevok cought Corona.
The whole game is a middle finger to anyone who was a fan of the previous games.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
His stats from 3.5 -
Wizard 31
Archmage 5
Netherese arcanist 5

I'll give you something even better. Since the lad is older than Mystra, he isn't bound by the restrictions she applied after Karsus' Folly. In other words, he has access to 10th and 11th level spells.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
Storyfag
rusty_shackleford
GhopTheConqueror

Maybe Sarevok cought Corona.
The whole game is a middle finger to anyone who was a fan of the previous games.

So far, story-wise, the game has literally no connection to the previous titles, so your comment is nonsensical.

Thonius

Arcane
His stats from 3.5 -
Wizard 31
Archmage 5
Netherese arcanist 5

Actually you don't. You kill mind devours(if you fail some checks) then you finish or not one wounded.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
His stats from 3.5 -
Wizard 31
Archmage 5
Netherese arcanist 5

Actually you don't. You kill mind devours(if you fail some checks) then you finish or not one wounded.
You can actually trigger a fight with the wounded mind flayer.

Codex Year of the Donut
Descent Into Avernus doesn't mention Gorion's Ward at all, it simply makes references to a bhaalspawn.
It would be odd if an important module(Murder in Baldur's Gate) was magically non-canon, because many elements of Descent into Avernus and related materials rely on it being canon. e.g., Rescuing Ulder Ravengard is a major plotpoint of Descent into Avernus, and Ulder was Abdel's right-hand man as grand duke.
There's nothing to suggest that Abdel isn't canon, only that he is no longer Gorion's ward.

Sharpedge

Prophet
Loulaum is the "evil enemy" behind all of this? He is both a Netherese wizard and an Illithid, which would explain the fact that the hag claims that there is Netherese shadow magic protecting the tadpole.
His stats from 3.5 -
Wizard 31
Archmage 5
Netherese arcanist 5

I don't know, but I would guess that something along these lines is where we are heading, with some illithid trying to become a god. Loulaum would be best positioned to pull something like that off.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
tl;dr: who cares what Black Isle Studio or your <CHARNAME> did 20 years ago
QCJnpbo.png

It would be odd if an important module(Murder in Baldur's Gate) was magically non-canon, because many elements of Descent into Avernus and related materials rely on it being canon. e.g., Rescuing Ulder Ravengard is a major plotpoint of Descent into Avernus, and Ulder was Abdel's right-hand man as grand duke.
I wouldn't call Murder in Baldur's Gate an "important" module. Its a 30-pages adventure that nobody ever played.

Vatnik Wumao
I'll buy only final patched product only, thank you!
Which is all fine and good by me, but my point is that nobody is forcing you or anyone else to make a hasty decision in regards to the EA. I could understand buyer's remorse for a game on sale since you might not have the time to dwell on your choice before the discount goes off. In the case of BG3 though? You have a whole year to decide whether to purchase it in EA or not. If you are hasty with your decision or have poor impulse control and buy it on a whim, there's no one to blame but you.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I somehow fucked up the early stages of gith creche quest. Now it says "you fucked up, find it yourself" in so many words. Where is it on the map?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom