Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter

He's also a big time cuckold who okayed having forced NTR in his game.

Todd wouldn't do that gay shit.

Wow I get to pick between a worst Gith piece of roast beef or a lying evil cleric piece of roast beef. Great game.

Chill out, new (good) companions will come in the future.

ChildInTime

Learned
How is the loot, cool items scattered around IE-style, or randomly generated akin to Diablo?
There are some random things like +1 weapons, but only at traders, all other loot which gives special properties to spells or abilities is fixed from what I saw.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
How is the loot, cool items scattered around IE-style, or randomly generated akin to Diablo?
Cool items at set locations, overpriced magical items at vendors, and basic stuff as random drops I think.
Like a medallion that lets you speak to the dead in a crypt, an armor that deals damage to undead that hit you, but you take more damage from natural enemies, gloves that let you cast bane on hit, but you need to worship the new goblin god, etc.

Danikas

Arcane
BTW I wasn't kidding about being able to throw your allies during combat. Swen said that's possible too, if the throwing character has enough strength.
Maybe swen should try and throw a normal person and see how far it will fly.
I can throw a small child, and I have 8 strength AT BEST, so I fail to see why an experienced adventurer with 17 strength shouldn't be able to throw a halfling.
:nocountryforshitposters:
And there is a halfling companion??? You being 8str clearly show since you have no idea how much a 50-80 kg is,and how hard is to throw a human.

Does the throwing person have 20 STR?
How pumped is that in real world ? Even fairly strong people would have problem throwing a grown man,let alone with all his equipment and backpack. Also it depends what do see as successful throw distance. You could throw a person,maybe a meter to three if very strong and he very skinny.

DM of the Rings LXXXVIII

comic_lotr88.jpg
It reminds me of this gem.

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
Chill out, new (good) companions will come in the future.

Oh new good companions? The negro female werewolf? Or minsc and boo? Wow I can't wait yes people already datamined the demo.

Adding something "good" doesn't change the fact that the flagship character are garbage. Listen pal compare these characters to the roster on BG or PS:T.

Robber Baron

Savant
All that talk about companions reminded me that the last time I was invested with them was with DAO. Well DA2 to be fair, but you know.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Definitely more like IE than Diablo. Nothing to do with the absolute fuckfest of D:OS games. You find a lot of consumables (potions and scrolls), some standard D&D magic weapons and armors (+1 to hit and damage, armor class, or saving throws), and some unique items with cool useful effects (create water, speak with dead, and stuff like that). The only "bad" thing about loot in this game is the unbearable amount of useless random shit like plates, spoons, cups, bones, skulls, and dildos that end up cluttering your inventory. Not taking them is also not an option because there are so many containers that you have to constantly spam that "take all" button.

What are the RPGs with GOOD compaions in the last decade?
ujeF0Zx.png
PortraitMale-BerserkLarge.png

Gunnar the friendly giga-chad.

Last edited:

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
Not taking them is also not an option because there are so many containers that you have to constantly spam that "take all" button.
How are you supposed to fight anything in a Larian game unless there are containers everywhere?

Gunnar the friendly giga-chad
Speaking of games that have too many containers... :)
Gunnarr is a total bro though, I love both Expeditions games

polo

Magister
Lmao @ discussing physics in a fantasy rpg.
Btw how do magic works? I dont think its rational to spit fire from your hands, muh immersion.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Speaking of games that have too many containers... :)
I ransacked every single container in the entirety of England and Scandinavia. In Vikings the problem is exacerbated by the fact that there are like 10 types of items and resources, so you ALWAYS find the same stuff over and over. Still a great game though.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
Btw how do magic works? I dont think its rational to spit fire from your hands, muh immersion.
Just because magic exists doesn't mean physics becomes entirely irrelevant, it's like you don't even remember your Arcanum science. Next you'll be telling me the Gnomes don't control the banks and the media.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
Just because magic exists doesn't mean physics becomes entirely irrelevant, it's like you don't even remember your Arcanum science. Next you'll be telling me the Gnomes don't control the banks and the media.

In Mother Russia, banks and media control YOU. Oh wait, that's everywhere...

polo

Magister
Its not irrelevant, its just exaggerated, which in a world with magic, fantastical creatures and shit its not so crazy.
How does the mind flayer ship fly tho?

Takamori

Learned
The biggest detractions to the game that can be fixed have been discussed. Larian better be looking.
  • Dice rolls are optimally gamed through save-scumming. But if you don't save scum, you can barely roleplay the character you want to RP because you simply lose as much as you win.
  • Jumping around half the map in and outside combat at level 1 in this setting is goofy. Gaining Levitation or some gliding effect after some serious effort is cool but flying around everywhere immediately is nonsense
  • Item menu and icons in general. Portraits as discussed look like naked mug shots. Compare the UI to PFK and know this is dogshit for a 2mil sales game
  • Early story stakes. Mindflayer kidnapping a literal who rando, then sending him to Hell doesn't give the player any emotional stake into the story. I don't care at all about all these dragons flying around or traveling around. It's cheap, gaudy bombast, and it completely relies on outside sources to give any weight to the story.
  • Turn-based combat on trash takes forever. Give me a break. I already played DOS and DOS2, I don't need to slog through more worthless encounters with the same engine. Less trash, more meaning.
I really agree with the early story critique, its just shiny lights just to keep a retard paying attention. it doesn't respect the build up of a lvl 1 adventurer.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
3. Whether the Abdel Adrian from "A Murder in Baldur's Gate" is even still considered canon is HEAVILY up to debate. Said adventure module was released in 2013. EVERY SINGLE SOURCE MATERIAL since that time - the Minsc comics; "Heroes of Baldur's Gate" module, and "Descent into Avernus" module only ever referred to a "Gorion's Ward" and that a member of Baldur's Gate nobility is rumoured to be a Bhaalspawn. That's literally it.
Descent Into Avernus doesn't mention Gorion's Ward at all, it simply makes references to a bhaalspawn.
It would be odd if an important module(Murder in Baldur's Gate) was magically non-canon, because many elements of Descent into Avernus and related materials rely on it being canon. e.g., Rescuing Ulder Ravengard is a major plotpoint of Descent into Avernus, and Ulder was Abdel's right-hand man as grand duke.
There's nothing to suggest that Abdel isn't canon, only that he is no longer Gorion's ward.

The problem is that the module was clearly made at a time when:
A. WotC had no intentions of investing in the RPG/games market.
B. Thus they didn't give a shit about the Baldur's Gate franchise. Now they obviously do.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
The biggest detractions to the game that can be fixed have been discussed. Larian better be looking.
  • Dice rolls are optimally gamed through save-scumming. But if you don't save scum, you can barely roleplay the character you want to RP because you simply lose as much as you win.
  • Jumping around half the map in and outside combat at level 1 in this setting is goofy. Gaining Levitation or some gliding effect after some serious effort is cool but flying around everywhere immediately is nonsense
  • Item menu and icons in general. Portraits as discussed look like naked mug shots. Compare the UI to PFK and know this is dogshit for a 2mil sales game
  • Early story stakes. Mindflayer kidnapping a literal who rando, then sending him to Hell doesn't give the player any emotional stake into the story. I don't care at all about all these dragons flying around or traveling around. It's cheap, gaudy bombast, and it completely relies on outside sources to give any weight to the story.
  • Turn-based combat on trash takes forever. Give me a break. I already played DOS and DOS2, I don't need to slog through more worthless encounters with the same engine. Less trash, more meaning.
I really agree with the early story critique, its just shiny lights just to keep a retard paying attention. it doesn't respect the build up of a lvl 1 adventurer.

Which leads me to believe that this "Early Access" is more akin to a showcase demo, and the full release will have more story content even for those early hours.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Its not irrelevant, its just exaggerated, which in a world with magic, fantastical creatures and shit its not so crazy.

Well. You're quite a piece. Magic is only magical if it has a mundane backdrop to compare to. Therefore having working physics in a fantasy world is essential.

Simple. By the use of magic (well, actually psionics) which b r e a k s the laws of physics. But only magic (in the broadest sense) should be allowed to do that.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Buahahahahaha, I managed to use a roaring thunder arrow to very violently and loudly push the big spider matriarch or whatever stupid name it had in the nearest pit of death and all the way to whatever afterlife those freaks have. Oh man, made my day seeing a big 8 legged creep taking off all of a sudden, legs all stretched and looking like a pancake all the way down, thinking probably "Oi, WTF?!?!?!?". Man this game, this game, brings back memories from DOS2.

polo

Magister

Well. You're quite a piece. Magic is only magical if it has a mundane backdrop to compare to. Therefore having working physics in a fantasy world is essential.

Simple. By the use of magic (well, actually psionics) which b r e a k s the laws of physics. But only magic (in the broadest sense) should be allowed to do that.
Lmao and IM quite a piece.

Thonius

Arcane
I'm sad that you cannot trow objects at enemies. What I mean is - in Goblin camp there is Bugbear leader. And there is a chest up high at platform, I tried this and that but you just cannot pick up it and drop on head of the bugbear (who was siting at his throne). SAD

Child of Malkav

Erudite
I'm sad that you cannot trow objects at enemies. What I mean is - in Goblin camp there is Bugbear leader. And there is a chest up high at platform, I tried this and that but you just cannot pick up it and drop on head of the bugbear (who was siting at his throne). SAD
Or that when you're up there you can't drop one of the chandeliers or braziers hanging from those chains .

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom