Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
Speaking of Arcanum, the whole opening scene of the Illithid ship being chased by dragons piloted by greenskins is a total ripoff of the IFS Zephyr sequence, I demand that Boyarsky sue Swen for this blatant plagiarism :outrage:

Quillon

Arcane
fighting in the ruined tower in underdark; everything goes well, at last enemy... fucking robot comes and knocks my dude 2 stairs down lmao

finished him quickly and activated tb mode again, clicked the descend button on elevator, my dude teleported to the elevator and helped him up :P

LabRat

Learned
There's a reason so many video games featured similar looking protagonists(to the point where it became a meme): they were using market feedback and analytics.
Good example is one of the Fable games wanting to have a black female on the cover and microsoft's marketing department basically told them to fuck off.

"They said, what's the most unsuccessful Disney film? I was like, I don't know. They went, Princess and the Frog. Work it out."

Holy based
I miss some good 2D films. like Treasure Planet and Atlantis: The Lost Empire. I was surprised they did some non-disney style films.
1602540885353.jpg

Takamori

Learned
The biggest detractions to the game that can be fixed have been discussed. Larian better be looking.
  • Dice rolls are optimally gamed through save-scumming. But if you don't save scum, you can barely roleplay the character you want to RP because you simply lose as much as you win.
  • Jumping around half the map in and outside combat at level 1 in this setting is goofy. Gaining Levitation or some gliding effect after some serious effort is cool but flying around everywhere immediately is nonsense
  • Item menu and icons in general. Portraits as discussed look like naked mug shots. Compare the UI to PFK and know this is dogshit for a 2mil sales game
  • Early story stakes. Mindflayer kidnapping a literal who rando, then sending him to Hell doesn't give the player any emotional stake into the story. I don't care at all about all these dragons flying around or traveling around. It's cheap, gaudy bombast, and it completely relies on outside sources to give any weight to the story.
  • Turn-based combat on trash takes forever. Give me a break. I already played DOS and DOS2, I don't need to slog through more worthless encounters with the same engine. Less trash, more meaning.
I really agree with the early story critique, its just shiny lights just to keep a retard paying attention. it doesn't respect the build up of a lvl 1 adventurer.

Which leads me to believe that this "Early Access" is more akin to a showcase demo, and the full release will have more story content even for those early hours.
I hope you are right because in the current presentation shows that Larian is focusing on the wrong things.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Since Swen has confirmed that the EA intentionally contains the neutral and evil companions, I wonder if the final game will have different companions in the place of some of those it has now. If swapping them is possible I wonder if it may even be possible that they be randomized.

Crodo

Barely Literate
Finished Early Access and felt compelled to make an account to vent about the advantage/disadvantage system.

I rolled a rogue intended to dual wield, but found ranged combat stronger with how powerful sneaking is. Ranged sneak attacks do not seem to follow any consistent logic. Some of these issues might be bugs, but some might actually be design goals. I'm not 5e guru, so if anyone can tear my ass a new one correcting me, I'd appreciate it. Here's some examples of why I think the current implementation of advantage/disadvantage is sucky:

Rogue has high ground and sneak attacks with his shortbow towards an enemy facing the rogue. Sneak attack is successful.

Rogue has high ground and sneak attacks with his shortbow towards an proned enemy. Sneak attack is unsuccessful.

Rogue has high ground and sneak attacks with his shortbow towards an enemy in dim light (read: not obscured). Sneak attack is unsuccessful. One more caveat, it appears that if the Rogue is in dim light, he will also shoot enemies at a disadvantage independent of their lighting. I believe this to be a bug however.

Rogue has even ground and sneak attacks with his shortbow towards an enemy that cannot see the rogue, and the rogue is sneaking. Sneak attack is successful.

Rogue has even ground and sneak attacks with his shortbow towards an enemy that cannot see the rogue, but the rogue is not sneaking. Sneak attack is unsuccessful.​

Also, the UI element for advantage/disadvantage is obscure; it's telegraphed by a small green arrow in the bottom left of your screen area instead of a hover near the % to hit. Also, I dislike not seeing both my rolls for advantage/disadvantage in the combat log. If somebody knows how to see my 2 rolls, please share.

And sometimes when my sneak attack doesn't work no matter if I have advantage or not. I just don't get it... Is this really how 5e plays?

Last edited:

Takamori

Learned
Since Swen has confirmed that the EA intentionally contains the neutral and evil companions, I wonder if the final game will have different companions in the place of some of those it has now. If swapping them is possible I wonder if it may even be possible that they be randomized.
Actually I wouldn't mind having then as the main companions, change the dynamic of feeling easy with a Good aligned character. Love the "This motherfucker might stab me if I don't play my card right"

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
Speaking of Arcanum, the whole opening scene of the Illithid ship being chased by dragons piloted by greenskins is a total ripoff of the IFS Zephyr sequence, I demand that Boyarsky sue Swen for this blatant plagiarism :outrage:
https://youtu.be/h1fzJgOS0EE?t=729

I see only two airplanes, no dragons.
Thank you for pointing this out, when I file on behalf of my client Leonard Boyarsky I will specify "personal aircraft" and not "dragons" or "airplanes."

Poseidon00

Arcane
When they say they haven't yet added the good companions, they mean Minsc. Karlach isn't exactly a paragon of virtue. So maybe you will get 1 good character that isn't a meme.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Actually I wouldn't mind having then as the main companions, change the dynamic of feeling easy with a Good aligned character. Love the "This motherfucker might stab me if I don't play my card right"
What continues to go unmentioned, including in this thread, is that, as far as we can judge from the EA content, we seem to be in for an RPG where roleplaying an evil character is viable and has its own story paths and rewards. This is nothing short of "revolutionary" considering previous BG games, IE games in general, and RPGs in general, especially big-budget, big-hype, AAA RPGs. Why isn't anyone celebrating? For me this is a much bigger event than having turn-based D&D.

Last edited:

jf8350143

Liturgist
The companions just stand in the middle of nowhere and wait for the PC to come at the moment. As far as we know they might be placed randomly in the first place.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
What continues to go unmentioned, including in this thread, is that, as far as we can judge from the EA content, we seem to be in for an RPG where roleplaying an evil character is viable and has its own story paths and rewards. This is nothing short of "revolutionary" considering previous BG games, IE games in general, and RPGs in general, especially big-budget, big-hype, AAA RPGs. Why isn't anyone celebrating?

I am, oh believe me, I am.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Been watching someone play, and it seems a bit exploitable how you can keep reviving the same guy over and over. He just let him tank the damage and kept reviving him after he falls, basically occupying that enemy forever while others focus him done. Seems very cheap having no cost at all to reviving honestly.

Is that part of 5e too, or something Larian did?

AwesomeButton

Patron
What continues to go unmentioned, including in this thread, is that, as far as we can judge from the EA content, we seem to be in for an RPG where roleplaying an evil character is viable and has its own story paths and rewards. This is nothing short of "revolutionary" considering previous BG games, IE games in general, and RPGs in general, especially big-budget, big-hype, AAA RPGs. Why isn't anyone celebrating?

I am, oh believe me, I am.
And when you add that you have TB Pathfinder Wrath of the righteous coming where you can apparently go evil as well, it's getting quite comfortable to be playing cRPGs these days.

Voids

Augur

Nah, I don't think so. I don't understand how they're going to cram a few more characters into the opening of the game. Then don't you have to decide on your final party by the end of act 1? Not sure how this is going to play out.

AwesomeButton

Patron

Nah, I don't think so. I don't understand how they're going to cram a few more characters into the opening of the game. Then don't you have to decide on your final party by the end of act 1? Not sure how this is going to play out.
I don't mean cram more, I mean swap meeting Shadowheart or the mage guy for someone else. Their introductory dialogue could easily be redone, and some other character could easily get his own introductory dialogue which will work for meeting them in the same circumstances in which you now meet these two NPCs.

jf8350143

Liturgist
What continues to go unmentioned, including in this thread, is that, as far as we can judge from the EA content, we seem to be in for an RPG where roleplaying an evil character is viable and has its own story paths and rewards. This is nothing short of "revolutionary" considering previous BG games, IE games in general, and RPGs in general, especially big-budget, big-hype, AAA RPGs. Why isn't anyone celebrating? For me this is a much bigger event than having turn-based D&D.
We don't know that yet. All we know is you can finish one quest in a evil route, which is hardly anything new in CRPG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom