Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Padzi

Arbiter
I liked how auntie Ethel destroyed them, because from master plan they went to no plan to defeat her.

jackofshadows

Magister
Any detail about increasing the lv cap?
Swen have only said that for EA it is still 4. So if you wanna judge by that - no changes so far at all.

It's been awkward when Swen acknowledged that system when combat is happening in TB and the rest can move freely and even might join combat one by one "if you think about it is not super logical but in multiplayer works pretty well".

And also, announce for announce and... it's just a druid class added. I mean, there's shitton of changes, loaded dice for example but that matters only for actual EA players so the big fuss is still looks weird.

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It was strange seeing normal looking women when they introduced the team. There was one muslim woman (no hate, just stating the fact), but every other women just looked ... normal. Not even one had stupid danger hair, it was like a breath of fresh air after seeing women developers from the US.

>One muslim woman

>every other women just look normal

:lol:
I admit I knew that this sounded a little awkward, and thought about how could I word it differently. But meh, I think people get what I wanted to say. :)

Bara

Arcane
Would have saved time and money just releasing a set of patch notes.

Maybe the nintendo direct today will wash off this disapointment.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
It was strange seeing normal looking women when they introduced the team. There was one muslim woman (no hate, just stating the fact), but every other women just looked ... normal. Not even one had stupid danger hair, it was like a breath of fresh air after seeing women developers from the US.

>One muslim woman

I admit I knew that this sounded a little awkward, and thought about how could I word it differently. But meh, I think people get what I wanted to say. :)

Nigger where do you think you are? It's perfectly okay to call a Muslim trashbag a Muslim trashbag.
Says a lot about Larian that these Belgian fucks hired one.

Larianshill

Arbiter
I'm gonna be an optimist and say that since druid will have class-specific content at the Grove, maybe they already did that Kagha rewrite they talked about. They wouldn't make content they'd just have to rewrite later.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just started watching and I find it hilarious that the camera is so far away that Swen thinks he has to yell. But yeah, let the cringe begin.

Someone on the official forum pointed out to me that Swen Vincke really, really loves to split his party in the most stupid suicidal way for no fucking reason and suddenly the truth hit me:

He probably can't stand Larian's atrocious party controls either, so he sub-consciously tries to leave companions behind at any given chance.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
"YOU CAN NOW TARGET PORTRAITS"

Larian finally managed to understand and implement technology from 1998
Next thing you know clicking a portrait multiple times in a row will dish out funny lines, culminating with one REALLY funny one at the end. Trully a testament to innovation.

Testownia

By the way, what I wish dearly was that Owlcat Games would introduce even a part of the verticality and reliance on terrain as Larian does. Not only would it make the combat more interesting, it would also allow to re-introduce a buch of skills from PnP which are otherwise meaningless - Climbing, Acrobatics etc. And the Pathfinder games sorely need more of those, since it's far, far too easy to make a complete skill monkey.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler

>One muslim woman

Still surprisingly progressive for the codex.

By the way, what I wish dearly was that Owlcat Games would introduce even a part of the verticality and reliance on terrain as Larian does. Not only would it make the combat more interesting, it would also allow to re-introduce a buch of skills from PnP which are otherwise meaningless - Climbing, Acrobatics etc. And the Pathfinder games sorely need more of those, since it's far, far too easy to make a complete skill monkey.

By the way, what I wish dearly was that larian would introduce even a part of the verticality and reliance on terrain as Solasta does. Not only would it make the combat more interesting, it would also allow to make a bunch of spells useful and interesting from PnP which are otherwise meaningless - spider climbing, flying etc.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Nothing said about the level cap today. Latest we've heard, it's supposed to go beyond 10. 10 is when most official adventures end. Once again, levels are completely different in 5e from what you're used to. There are no epic levels anymore - you fight gods and archdevils on 15-20, not on 30. Around level 8, you can kill Strahd in a stand up fight.
In Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, players were expected to defeat Lolth at no higher than level 14 (Q1 Queen of the Demonweb Pits, 1980) and to triumph over Count Strahd von Zarovich by level 7 (I6 Ravenloft, 1983). What you describe as "completely different in 5e from what you're used to" is in fact slightly higher level than the intended norm.

17054.jpg

17527.jpg

Generic-Giant-Spider

Nothing said about the level cap today. Latest we've heard, it's supposed to go beyond 10. 10 is when most official adventures end. Once again, levels are completely different in 5e from what you're used to. There are no epic levels anymore - you fight gods and archdevils on 15-20, not on 30. Around level 8, you can kill Strahd in a stand up fight.
In Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, players were expected to defeat Lolth at no higher than level 14 (Q1 Queen of the Demonweb Pits, 1980) and to triumph over Count Strahd von Zarovich by level 7 (I6 Ravenloft, 1983). What you describe as "completely different in 5e from what you're used to" is in fact slightly higher level than the intended norm.

17054.jpg

17527.jpg

STOP HURTING MOM.

Arulan

Cipher
Any detail about increasing the lv cap?

I wanna play Dungeons & DRAGONS, not Dungeons & Kobolds.

Disagreed. I find low-level adventures a lot more compelling. Once the player becomes too powerful the stakes get out of control, and most plots devolve into an unrelatable mess. Though given what we already know of Baldur's Gate III -- Illithids and the like, we'll probably see plenty of powerful foes to face off against.

Codex Year of the Donut

>One muslim woman

Nigger where do you think you are? It's perfectly okay to call a Muslim trashbag a Muslim trashbag.
Says a lot about Larian that these Belgian fucks hired one.
how do I report a hatecrime to the german government?

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Disagreed. I find low-level adventures a lot more compelling. Once the player becomes too powerful the stakes get out of control, and most plots devolve into an unrelatable mess. Though given what we already know of Baldur's Gate III -- Illithids and the like, we'll probably see plenty of powerful foes to face off against.

The stakes doesn't need to get out of control. You can have a lich being a threat to a city and doing crazy experiments and the stakes being that city. You don't need to scale things to "save the world" or "save the multiverse".

I strongly disagree about "unrelatable", Modern weaponry is arguably more deadly than high tier magic on D&D. An 105mm cannon can destroy buildings faster than any D&D sorcerer and a armored vehicle is arguably far more resistant and powerful than a iron golem which require mid to high level to be created. If You can only explore the D&D cosmos, exploring the abyss, dealing with most dark lords of the realms of dread, with marids on plane of water or demons and efreets in city of embers, exploring the frozen mountains of the icewind dale, adventuring into the deepest areas of the underdark on MID to high level.

My greatest problem with BG3 is not the Larian AWFUL homebrew rules. Is that in gameplay the game is "dungeons & kobolds", in theme, is a "high to epic level" adventure. The same starts with you escaping a mindflayer spelljammer ship and the chapter 1 ends on underdark. BTW, Underdark on NWN1 - Hotu has you starting at lv 15. And on BG2:SoA, you only enter in the underdark on chapter 5. You find mages capable of stopping time on ch 4 and with a full party will probably be around lv 12~15 on underdark. Dark Sun : Wake of the Ravager? Underdark is hard with circle 5/6/7 magic.

Larian needs to chose >
A ) Have a low level "dungeons & kobolds" adventure
B ) Have a adventure with underdark, mindflayers, red dragons and etc on chapter 1.

Both at the same time is ludicrous.

Last edited:

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
You find mages capable of stopping time on ch 4 and with a full party will probably be around lv 12~15 on underdark.
I can beat any Lich, including Kangaxx, before setting sail. Korgan with Flame Tongue and glitching the Ring of Ram + Melf.

This kind of stuff feels like a myth. As soon as you have Melf, most mages should die. And as soon as you have the Whip (and obviously break and/or wand of Break) all mages should be dead. You can get that fairly easily.

But that's not the point. You can see in every video that Swen dishes out that he wants to make the game exciting for people to play. It's a different era. Different kids. We're old now.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
BTW, Underdark on NWN1
I've already been over this
Underdark has always had low CR monsters. 2E's Night Below campaign is for characters level 1-10, and you enter the underdark at about level 5.
Underdark is only ever considered super dangerous in lore anyways. But like anything that's hyped as super dangerous, it's going to be shoved into everything until it's no longer a threat and becomes boring.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom