Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Larianshill

Arbiter
After playing Solasta for one evening, I spotted numerous things that would improve BG3 immensely. Such as (but not limited to) dice rolls, beautiful, crispy interface with very clear separation between actions and bonus actions, spellcasting reminiscent of NWN2 windows, the Dodge action, the Ready action, much less confusing multiattack, automatic sneak attack with no need to click the specific button every time, better leveling (with "What features will come to this class at later levels" window), and my personal favourite - opportunity attacks that are actually reactive, as well as the smites working on the same principle. This last one is such a simple, intuitive idea, and such a better way of handling emergent decisions, that I wonder if it simply never occurred to good people at Larian, or their engine is actually incapable of this feat of software engineering.

When it comes to gameplay and user interface, Solasta has BG3 soundly beaten, and it's a good reason to emulate everything it does.

Larianshill

Arbiter
I love Larian and their games very much, but sometimes love needs to be tough, and when your child is acting like a retard, he needs to be made aware of it. There's no greater example to compare the gameplay of BG3 and Solasta, than simple opportunity attacks.
When you make an opportunity attack in BG3, you need to toggle "this character will make opportunity attacks" button. Then your character will make opportunity attacks (but for some reason, far from always) automatically. You don't get to choose which enemy he does it against, if several creatures leave his threatened squares, and you don't get to choose to execute battlemaster maneuevers, something that you should be able to do. Very important spells like Counterspell and Shield will work on the same principle, and I can't imagine anything worse than ending up in a situation where you're combatting many spellcasting enemies, but one of them clearly more dangerous than the others, except your character is stuck counterspelling wet farts instead of the important, game-changing spells.
To contrast, reactions in Solasta are very simple. A character is about to move out of your threatened zone, and a pop-up instantly appears: "Would you like to make an opportunity attack?". If you happen to hit, and you're a paladin, another pop-up: "Would you like to smite?". They're fast, they're not intrusive, they're the better way of solving the problem.

That doesn't mean that everything about Solasta is great - outside of its faithful recreation of 5e rules, the plot is unimaginative, and what little characters that are in the game are bland and unmemorable. But the combat needs to be emulated.

Harthwain

Magister
i'm dropping this game since minsc is gonna be a companion, which brings BG3 down to the same level as the other games in the series

yuck
Seriously? I mean, I always treated Minsc like a good hearted village idiot and I get that some peopole could find his character cringe, but to drop the game for that alone? That seems like a bit much. Is Minsc even a mandatory character?

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
When it comes to gameplay and user interface, Solasta has BG3 soundly beaten, and it's a good reason to emulate everything it does.
Wouldn't you rather be a shill for Solasta than larian then? It's not too late to make a new account -it takes a second- before you get too attached. A team of some 30 people are outshining a studio of 400+ and you think the 400+ are worthy of your shilling? The decision is easy. Follow passion, not soulless fat cat big corporations. Even if that corporation has some "loveable" idiot in charge.

Codex Year of the Donut
honestly can't even remember what solasta is about and I beat the early access twice
solasta does some things better than bg3, bg3 does some things better than solasta.

both of them do nearly everything better than wotr except buildfaggot circlejerking

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I haven't played BG3 yet, but something is telling me it's going to be better than Solasta, even with the usual Larian ...eccentricities slathered on top.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Anyone know when all the retards are going to be Googling up BG3 again?

As in, date of next hype-spike?

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
honestly can't even remember what solasta is about and I beat the early access twice
solasta does some things better than bg3, bg3 does some things better than solasta.

both of them do nearly everything better than wotr except buildfaggot circlejerking

BG3 can be a complete trash and you will still post this :lol:

larrainfag should be a tag

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I haven't played BG3 yet, but something is telling me it's going to be better than Solasta, even with the usual Larian ...eccentricities slathered on top.
Drop the charade, you just prefer BG3 because of your weird Cleric/Rogue fetishism. You know it, we all know it, everyone knows it.

You know that you googling your blog two hundred times a day doesn't count, right?

Codex Year of the Donut

BG3 can be a complete trash and you will still post this :lol:

larrainfag should be a tag
Only if owlshills get their mandatory homosexual furry tag.

Testownia

i'm dropping this game since minsc is gonna be a companion, which brings BG3 down to the same level as the other games in the series

yuck
Seriously? I mean, I always treated Minsc like a good hearted village idiot and I get that some peopole could find his character cringe, but to drop the game for that alone? That seems like a bit much. Is Minsc even a mandatory character?

You're both wrong. Minsc is not just a companion. He's an ORIGIN CHARACTER as well.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
You know that you googling your blog two hundred times a day doesn't count, right?

My indexing and ranking data come from the following sources:

Google search console (integrated into the search engine for EZ look-ups)
One of the Leading SEO bloggers on the planet (ubersuggest)

If you doubt my indexing and ranking power, I can formally address your doubts on my blog.

Your RPGCodex username (and those of any other doubters) will need to be included in order to prove that I can "own" the keyword or search string.

Would you like me to do that?

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

My indexing and ranking data come from the following sources:

Google search console (indexed into the search engine for EZ look-ups)
One of the Leading SEO bloggers on the planet (ubersuggest)

If you doubt my indexing and ranking power, I can formally address your doubts on my blog.

Your RPGCodex username (and those of any other doubters) will need to be included in order to prove that I can "own" the keyword.

Would you like me to do that?
Lilura I'm joking. A serious authoritative source like you shouldn't sink to my level.

But I'd love to be formally addressed in your blog. Just specify that I'm really into Lacrymas and Ontopoly.

Salvo

Arcane
>make a big show out of a patch, announcing it greatly in advance with flamboyant theatrics
>patch is ONE (1) class

jfc Swen

Gargaune

Arcane
Someone on the official forum pointed out to me that Swen Vincke really, really loves to split his party in the most stupid suicidal way for no fucking reason and suddenly the truth hit me:

He probably can't stand Larian's atrocious party controls either, so he sub-consciously tries to leave companions behind at any given chance.
If only there were something he could subconsciously do about it...

By the way, what I wish dearly was that Owlcat Games would introduce even a part of the verticality and reliance on terrain as Larian does. Not only would it make the combat more interesting, it would also allow to re-introduce a buch of skills from PnP which are otherwise meaningless - Climbing, Acrobatics etc. And the Pathfinder games sorely need more of those, since it's far, far too easy to make a complete skill monkey.
Eh... maybe some, but it's a slippery slope. Larian got carried away with it and the way it interworks with Advantage/Disadvantage devolves far too many encounters into a mad dash for the high ground, followed by smashing that Like Bonus Action: Shove button. I only got to tune in to the end of Swen's stream (was busy rolling a new party in PFKM), and by that point he was losing hard and just trying to figure out which was the correct hag to shove into a pit. Either way, first impression is that PFKM's TB mode's much smoother than this EA as-is, even if it's not ToEE grade.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Anyone know when all the retards are going to be Googling up BG3 again?

Don't worry, larian will let you know ahead of time with an announcement for their announcements announcement.

But I was really hoping that by this time you would be over bg3 and would have returned to your senses, realizing that popularity or the extra views isn't worth indulging in this shit on any level. The only thing more souless and passionless than bg3 and larian cultists is the bg3 section of your blog. At some point you have to make a decision on whether these bg3 cultists are worth having. Do you really want those type of readers consuming your actual content once they explore your blog past the bg3 post? These are people that will see your posts about the original BG and say the game sucks because it's not modern enough, or that missing isn't fun, or that it's outdated and needs to be modernized. In my views, appealing to these larian cultists cunts in any way is harmful to what we both love.

Gargaune

Arcane
Hey Tuco Benedicto Pacifico, what's the mood on Larian's forums after the panel, any reaction over the continued ignoring of the clusterfuck controls?

>make a big show out of a patch, announcing it greatly in advance with flamboyant theatrics
>patch is ONE (1) class

jfc Swen
A class which is part of the standard D&D handbook. Owlcat's definitely missing out on a symposium to announce their next game will have swords.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Underdark is only ever considered super dangerous in lore anyways. But like anything that's hyped as super dangerous, it's going to be shoved into everything until it's no longer a threat and becomes boring.

But underdark IN VIDEO GAMES, was always dangerous. Until BG3.

• Dark Sun : Wake of the Ravager? I had to re load a very old save and conservate all of my spell slots till the insane hard boss fight, till had to try 3 times to beat then.
  • NWN1 - Hotu? You fight freaking Dragonliches on the underdark served by powerful vampires, one of then can cast stop time, conjure some powerful elementals and teleport to a area protected by powerful traps.
  • BG2:SoA? Is a chapter 5 adventure full of mindflayers, drow, beholders and etc. You can even fight a demon lord depending on the "route".
  • DDO? The Underdark is hard even at high to epic level.
  • BG3? A place where lv 3/4 noobs can survive with no problem.

A class which is part of the standard D&D handbook. Owlcat's definitely missing out on a symposium to announce their next game will have swords.

OwlCat has so many classes that I don't know what to pick. I mean, I wanna be a blood kineticist? A winter witch? A arcanist? A sorcerer? A specialized wizard? I honestly don't know, there are so many options... For Larian, I found all wizard specializations and warlock pacts pretty boring...

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
But I was really hoping that by this time you would be over bg3 and would have returned to your senses, realizing that popularity or the extra views isn't worth indulging in this shit on any level. The only thing more souless and passionless than bg3 and larian cultists is the bg3 section of your blog. At some point you have to make a decision on whether these bg3 cultists are worth having. Do you really want those type of readers consuming your actual content once they explore your blog past the bg3 post? These are people that will see your posts about the original BG and say the game sucks because it's not modern enough, or that missing isn't fun, or that it's outdated and needs to be modernized. In my views, appealing to these larian cultists cunts in any way is harmful to what we both love.

It's worth the stretch. Even with the cultist cunts.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
What I was hoping for is “they were going to show how they use community feedback to improve gameplay”, yet of course a new furry class is a better selling point.

Though I still wait for patch notes. I’ve noticed that he said they nerfed bonus actions. But I am not sure. Would be an incline.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
  • NWN1 - Hotu? You fight freaking Dragonliches on the underdark served by powerful vampires, one of then can cast stop time, conjure some powerful elementals and teleport to a area protected by powerful traps.
  • BG2:SoA? Is a chapter 5 adventure full of mindflayers, drow, beholders and etc. You can even fight a demon lord depending on the "route".

Sorry, but that's casual cakewalk stuff. HotU is epic but as casual as hell, and 95% of BG2 Underdark content is optional and consists of FedEx.

The only non-casual Underdark adventuring is found in Swordflight Chapter Four.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom